• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - New screenshots

Seanspeed

Banned
In the case of TW3, CDProjekt itself elevated the expectations with past trailers and screenshots

I mean, from this:

To this:

Is kinda brutal.
That 1st 'to this' screenshot is a screencap of a video, by the way.

And welcome to screenshotting! I can show you good and not-so-good shots of the same game that make it look different. What you're seeing there looks like the difference between good screenshots and not-so-good screenshots.

I bet once people get their hands on the game, we're gonna see a huge amount of ridiculous looking screenshots by users.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
In the case of TW3, CDProjekt itself elevated the expectations with past trailers and screenshots

I mean, from this:

Witcher-3-screenshot-6.jpg

iKcRG61XdJQQy.jpg

To this:

iQV34ALySrFXy.png

izxz9WBSCJJTe.png

Is kinda brutal.

Goddammit.

Derp

I mean, from this:

iKcRG61XdJQQy.jpg

To this:

iQV34ALySrFXy.png

izxz9WBSCJJTe.png

Is kinda brutal.
Oh dear god what the hell happened. That 3rd screenshot is just horrid in comparison.

R_Deckard

Those first ones look actually very good, so hoping these later ones are console screens.

If they are from a Console version it would be X1 as it is the marketed platform.

But company PR shots usually come from the best source.

if you compare the "not as bad as the ps3 hyperbole" shot that is causing the issue here

To one of the great Shadows Of mordor, a game that can be directly compared to this from a visual/genre game

Monolith did a steller job and the witcher 3 will be aiming at that for level of beauty atleast and on these both PR shots SoM looks better IMOP, but early days and could be a bad shot for W3.

Daverid

Is kinda brutal.

Yea I have to agree somewhat. The game still looks great, but certainly not what previous screenshots and trailers like VGX or SoD built it up to look like.
I've still got a little sliver of hope that it'll end up looking like those initial shots on release with everything set to Max, but I'm not counting on that being the case.

The ball is now in CDPR's court to deliver, blow everyone away and make everyone feel bad for ever doubting them, but I'm not sure if it will happen, guess we'll find out in like ~5 months.

And of course I'm far more interested in them actually pulling off the Story/Gameplay/Characters in an open world that has shitloads to do... Everything that's actually way more important than the Graphics. At the end of the day I'd be happy with TW2 Graphics in an open world if they nail everything else.

Derp

Its taken from a video, its not a direct screenshot of the game.

Eh. I don't know why I bother. Shock value posts always win out.
But still just look at it...

Taking into consideration the fact that it's from a video, i still think something's happened. What about the last screenshot. That's not taken from a video is it? :/

Ridesh

Banned
that is a screen cap from a youtube video... of xbox one gameplay...

It's a screencap from the 5gb gamersyde video, and that's not xbox one, that's PC unless you think that the Xbox One version wil be 1080p, and that CDProjekt is promoting the game by showing the worst version of their game.

Seanspeed

Banned
But still just look at it...

Taking into consideration the fact that it's from a video, i still think something's happened. What about the last screenshot. That's not taken from a video is it? :/
Like I said, bad screenshot. Look at the Witcher 2 screenshots I posted above. That was not me going around looking to take bad screenshots, either. They're just not very good screenshots, while I could show you other ones that make it seem like a different, and *much* better looking game even though its all the same game, same settings, same playthrough.

It's a screencap from the 5gb gamersyde video, and that's not xbox one, that's PC unless you think that the Xbox One version wil be 1080p, and that CDProjekt is promoting the game by showing the worst version of their game.
Its from the Gamersyde video, but it was still not a high quality video source to begin with.

Daverid

that is a screen cap from a youtube video... of xbox one gameplay...

Please stop spreading misinformation.

We currently have no idea what platform or build these specific screenshots are taken from.

The 35 minute Demo is PC footage, it uses the same build (A very old one) that was used to show off the IGN & Gamespot stage demos in which the Gamespot Demo it was revealed to be PC footage. Also in multiple Gamescom interviews it was also stated that the Demos they've been showing to everyone has been PC footage.

The only Xbox One footage we've ever seen was at the Microsoft E3 Conference, and we've seen absolutely 0 PS4 footage.

Derp

Console version confirmed?
What doesn't make sense to me is that, if it were the console version, then why are they marketing with them when they've got superior PC screenshots.

Unless they want the console users to see what it's going to look like so they don't get disappointed when it's out? But then why didn't they say what platform the screens are from.

I'm so confused but curious now. I've always trusted CDPR, so i'm interested in seeing how this pans out.

Like I said, bad screenshot. Look at the Witcher 2 screenshots I posted above. That was not me going around looking to take bad screenshots, either. They're just not very good screenshots, while I could show you other ones that make it seem like a different, and *much* better looking game even though its all the same game, same settings, same playthrough.

Its from the Gamersyde video, but it was still not a high quality video source to begin with.

So what's your money on? Do you think they're console screens, or PC screens but just bad screenshots? Not trying to argue, just curious because i'm interested in everyone's opinion.

Damerman

Please stop spreading misinformation.

We currently have no idea what platform or build these specific screenshots are taken from.

The 35 minute Demo is PC footage, it uses the same build (A very old one) that was used to show off the IGN & Gamespot stage demos in which the Gamespot Demo it was revealed to be PC footage. Also in multiple Gamescom interviews it was also stated that the Demos they've been showing to everyone has been PC footage.

The only Xbox One footage we've ever seen was at the Microsoft E3 Conference, and we've seen absolutely 0 PS4 footage.

my bad. i thought CDPR were only demoing the xbox one version since E3.

As long as it runs smooth, those graphics are fine by me. Release can't come soon enough.

So much this. Yeah, I want the best graphics they can squeeze out on my console. But at the end of the day, game play trumps all. As long as this game doesn't turn into the next Destiny, I'll be ecstatic.

Seanspeed

Banned
So what's your money on? Do you think they're console screens, or PC screens but just bad screenshots? Not trying to argue, just curious because i'm interested in everyone's opinion.
I think the first two screens are just *exceptional* screenshots. And I think the wolf one is a bad screenshot by comparison, yes. Its downsampled and very clean, and the background looks fantastic, but the capture of the wolves(which don't look great, admittedly, possibly not running HairX) and Geralt wasn't timed very well, which does happen with characters in games just like in real life, where you just capture a person and it doesn't look great.

I think anybody who expects the entire game to look just like it does in the top two screenshots will be disappointed and those who think the game has been downgraded and the bottom two screens are fully representative will be pleasantly surprised once we all get our hands on the game.

OsirisBlack

Banned
iN5b2cypZdMmj.png

2557861-zelda_001.jpg

Kind of similar shots, Wii U can really hold it's own against other current gen titles

I am sure the witchers world will be much bigger but that Zelda Wii U game does look pretty fantastic. My Wii U is ready.

On topic

Lets not panic just yet, CDPR has been dragging the XB1 version of this game to all of the more recent shows I would bet these are XB1 screens. They still look good just not as good as what was previously shown. It's all about perspective if this is XB1 its damn impressive if its PC.....

I mean, from this:

iKcRG61XdJQQy.jpg

To this:

iQV34ALySrFXy.png

izxz9WBSCJJTe.png

Is kinda brutal.
Get out of here with that shit. They wouldn't "downgrade" the game on the pc as they're PC devs and the game's primary platform is PC.(it may look like that on console thou). The new screenshots are not on the highest settings capable on pc.

In 5 months people will knock themselves silly in the head for ever doubting CDPR. There I said it.

Also those who think the graphics in screenshot are what you are actually able to play with should go and take a look at the pc screenshot thread. Those are for show and the actual games are almost never playable with those settings at least at the time the game was released.

But I agree that the above screenshots look bad. But the 30 mins gameplay vid was already so much better so I am not worried.

@That dude who says he thinks the wolves look the same in the vid, you should download the gamersyde vid and see the hairwork in action. It's gorgeous.

erawsd

You know, I'm glad some of the latest looks at the game have been much more humbling. Expectations for what this game will look like had gotten out of hand. Hopefully, folks will lower their expectations now and the OT wont have to be overrun with downgrade discussion.

Shredderi

Okay after seeing these on my monitor I must say these don't look too hot. I mean the art style etc. is still stellar but doesn't look as good as previous shots we've seen. Hopefully the pc version at max can look as good as they've advertised with powerful hardware. I mean they have the high fidelity stuff we've seen in place, so leave that fidelity as an option for those with powerful enough hardware.

forrest

formerly nacire
DD is completely optional, there is a chance we won't find him on any given playthru.

Yes I'm aware, but he is still not an average character npc and if you do indeed bring him back with you he will get some up close screen time no doubt.

If you watch the video, you can see that the fur is not actually "real" fur or use some high quality physics system. This pic makes things look better than it actually is. It looks great nonetheless.

Yes, both models are constructed of textures with transparency or alpha maps applied to polygons which is why I made the comparison at all. The MGS execution just looks much better.

Papacheeks

Banned
Been doing some detective work as I am with other poster's here and on CD Project Red forums.

Everyone on there is saying it's PC version on Low settings. I know that during the FiRST release of The witcher 2 and The witcher:Enhanced edition, they had a thread showing you different screenshots at different graphical settings.

This either is the actual console version or pc settings set to low. Since they actually showed a good potion of the game running on XBox one at E3, doesn't make sense to have a downgrade, when it seemed to run fine.

I think it's PC settings set to low, because they are about to release the Recommended and Minimum specs for the game, so they are testing different configurations.

Just my 2 cents.

And yes this thread will give you cancer.

Still got my PC collectors edition preordered.

Awaiting the day!

tumblr_inline_nbuku22lI21rg5ph6.gif

Kezen

Banned
Been doing some detective work as I am with other poster's here and on CD Project Red forums.

Everyone on there is saying it's PC version on Low settings. I know that during the FiRST release of The witcher 2 and The witcher:Enhanced edition, they had a thread showing you different screenshots at different graphical settings.

This either is the actual console version or pc settings set to low. Since they actually showed a good potion of the game running on XBox one at E3, doesn't make sense to have a downgrade, when it seemed to run fine.

I think it's PC settings set to low, because they are about to release the Recommended and Minimum specs for the game, so they are testing different configurations.

Just my 2 cents.

And yes this thread will give you cancer.

Still got my PC collectors edition preordered.

Awaiting the day!

Sure, advertising your game with low settings is a brillant idea.

Papacheeks

Banned
Sure, advertising your game with low settings is a brillant idea.

These screen shots are from Gamersyde, and not on the official site which is loaded on my screen right now.

People are overreacting.

Doesn't make sense to have a6-8 minute stage demo running on XBox one looking good, playing smooth, and then show these screen shots.

I really do think it's PC at low settings.

Or showing you what it look like without certain things.

If it's console version, there must be a good reason. I mean The witcher 2 looked great on 360, so don't understand why they can't match that quality with this game.

Top Bottom