• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - New screenshots

maneil99

future-muranica1.jpg

Witcher 2 isn't a great looking game, it has high sharpening filters and terrible bloom and some of the worst animations from last gen, there was only 8 direction animations causing twitching if you went anywhere between the 8 axis

Witcher 2 isn't a great looking game, it has high sharpening filters and terrible bloom and some of the worst animations from last gen, there was only 8 direction animations causing twitching if you went anywhere between the 8 axis

And after Flotsam the production values went down a cliff.

UnrealEck

People with computers they deem powerful are going to be in for a real surprise.

Going by those graphics, it doesn't seem like it's a demanding game.
I honestly think Dragon Age Inquisition looks better than those screenshots.
I think the graphics have been toned down. There's no nVidia hairworks on those wolves too so maybe it's a console version.

what ever happened to next gen wolves?

It's an nVidia feature. Maybe those are console screenshots.

Kevin

Graphics got downgraded quite a bit. A first for CD Projekt? Oh well the game still looks decent enough. Visual quality is similar to Witcher 2 now but the open world gameplay will make it so much more fun and interesting. :)

Head.spawn

Graphics got downgraded quite a bit. A first for CD Projekt? Oh well the game still looks decent enough. Visual quality is similar to Witcher 2 now but the open world gameplay will make it so much more fun and interesting. :)

I remember reading a while back that they were demoing the game within the old engine, while the new one was getting up to speed. That was over a year ago I think, but that is probably the case with these shots. I'd highly doubt the game is receiving a downgrade at all; they demo'd the Xbone version already looking waaay better than this.

misho8723

Banned
This pics must be from some older build... graphics are looking way worse than in the Microsoft E3 stage demo.. wolves don't have the Nvidia Fur technology, etc.. but why would they released so bad pics, I don't know

Huh. Preorder in question now. Will wait to see more of the world.

Seriously? So you're saying the awesome, compelling, well-written storyline of the Witcher games is not what made you preorder? It was the quality of the wolve's fur? Or how many blades of grass you can see at a distance?

Ok. I don't get why some people play games.

orochi91

Seriously? So you're saying the awesome, compelling, well-written storyline of the Witcher games is not what made you preorder? It was the quality of the wolve's fur? Or how many blades of grass you can see at a distance?

Sure, but is that worth a day-one full price purchase for him? Chances are
he'll pick it up shortly after launch or when it's cheaper.

For instance, a game would have to be near damn perfect for me to pre-order,
yet the visuals on display here are clearly indicative of a downgrade.

Will probably get this on a steam sale, once the GOTY edition comes out.

GoG sale!!

Do the series usually have GotY editions? As in, a separate thing you can buy again to get all the DLCs?

PHOTOSHOP

I tried to play the Witcher 1 on PC recently to get into this game series....
I just cant get into it. The mouse clicking combat, meh voice acting, boring quest. I just had to quit 12hrs in.

Instro

I've been meaning to play the game, but the few minutes I did play I was put off by this.

Daverid

Do the series usually have GotY editions? As in, a separate thing you can buy again to get all the DLCs?

Well they've had the Enhanced Editions, which act similar to a 'GOTY Edition'.

Although CDPR have stated that with TW3 the intent is to get it "right" on release, and not have to do a Enhanced Edition this time around.

I've been meaning to play the game, but the few minutes I did play I was put off by this.

You can turn both of them off.
Sharpening has to be turned off via the INI settings and Bloom is turned off via your normal settings options (I don't understand why people leave bloom on in any game, it and Motion Blur get immediately flicked off in literally every game I play).

Whether you think the game looks better or worse without the Sharpening is up to you, but there is the option to go without it.

orochi91

They called it enhanced edition, which includes DLC (insignificant stuff).

Yea, I didn't expect a point-and-click interface for the first game. Ended up watching
a walk-through on youtube instead.

Second game was much better (traditional gamepad support), especially after that major patch they released.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
For the inevitable whining that will follow this, AMD users have access to some of these features and the consoles have some capability too, although what will be included with this game is still a mystery.

GameWorks-1-Overview-(7).jpg
Those effects have to run on the CPU on an AMD setup, and that's not viable on the consoles. Which is why all the pretty PhysX effects never get ported over.

wait what?

Is the "fur" enhancement only for PC?

It better be on the PS4 version!

I hate it when the release pictures of a game and once it´s released, it looks nowhere near that.

Coreda

So bizarre. Somehow has pulled the feat of looking worse than any of the previous screenshots from the recent builds. Must be the console version or without certain settings on. Will have to ask Kinley about it.

I've been following the new screenshots and renders of late and that hilt in the second shot for example is definitely not from any of them (apart from the obvious model differences). It's literally a plain, smoothed circle in these screens. Certainly a far cry from this first shot for example:

is this a screenshot or illustration?

First one is a mix of art and renders, the Triss graphic is a higher quality model render for promotional purposes. BTW these are two examples of in-game models someone put together:

Much better. There is some 'splaining to do.

Tadpole

It helps, yes.

it´s a combination for me.
If the game looks like crap I will most likely not even try it. If the game looks great I will get an interest, then its up to the gameplay to prove to me that It´s worth buying.

If the game turns out to look far from what has been showed so far, I will most probably pass on it. Getting tired of all these "fake marketing" of games.

Coreda

The Witcher 3 has been greatly anticipated in part due to the potentially standard-setting next-gen graphics. If seeing new screenshots to suggest otherwise isn't disappointing I don't know what is, especially considering all the other downgrades of games that have blown up.

People have been holding off buying new GPUs for this game, it's not a small thing.

Head.spawn

You guys are completely nuts.

The Game is absolutely not going to look like that unless you have it on low settings. That's no way in hell that it got downgraded like that.

I thought people were joking at first, but it seems some people actually think it'd get downgraded to the point that it looks worse than the Witcher 2.

artsi

You guys are completely nuts.

The Game is absolutely not going to look like that unless you have it on low settings. That's no way in hell that it got downgraded like that.

I thought people were joking at first, but it seems some people actually think it'd get downgraded to the point that it looks worse than the Witcher 2.

Well you're right, I can't believe the game would look this bad, but I'm trying to think why would they release screenshots like these.

I was comparing the distant vegetation and IQ to one of my Arma 3 screenshots (which is even larger scale, so no excuses) and it's just bad.

Mountains are nice, but that's about it.

ugoo18

iN5b2cypZdMmj.png

2557861-zelda_001.jpg

Kind of similar shots, Wii U can really hold it's own against other current gen titles

So i wasn't the only one who was reminded of that Zelda U screen lol.

On topic though isn't a simple solution to this apparent downgrade sentiment just to look at pre release vs release Witcher 2?

Was there any significant downgrade there?

I'm definitely inclined to believe that this is either an old build or a rough part of the console versions especially considering we saw that 35 minute PC demo which looked better than those screens.

Plus to the people thinking of cancelling or holding off pre orders....... -_-

Okay, the "downgrade" talk has started. Time to bail out of all TW3 threads for a while.

Yeah I'm feeling the same. I like a good looking game just like anybody but I think it's just plain dumb to not buy a game by a PROVEN developer because graphics.

Dumb.

Top Bottom