• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 to be last Witcher game [Up: CDP CEO says franchise continuing]

Using google per se...

"Full name of the new game "The Witcher third Wild Hunt". This will be the final part of the trilogy about the adventures of a computer Geralt. CD Projekt stipulates that if the story the main character of the series created by writer Andrzej Sapkowski completed in 2014, the company has no intention to abandon the same world known witcher saga. This means that left the door open for the next game in the best-known fantasy universe created in Poland."

Now about the truth on it, I can't garantee...

If this is true they could create something with Ciri I guess.

Yeah, no interview.

But looking at things it may be The last Witcher game but they can make other games in that world naming it differently. Witcher=Geralt So if they want to choose other protagonist like custom created they need to have different name than Witcher because player could be someone other than witcher.

Would not be the same with an own made character. And still, it could be named The Witcher as Ciri was trained as one by Geralt.
The books are called The Geralt of Rivia Saga, could be cool to see a "Ciri of Cintra Saga"

Hargenx

Yeah, no interview.

But looking at things it may be The last Witcher game but they can make other games in that world naming it differently. Witcher=Geralt So if they want to choose other protagonist like custom created they need to have different name than Witcher because player could be someone other than witcher.

I understand your point but a new game about Letho rising the school of Vipers would be cool and can have the name Witcher on it without a REAL problem.

Using google per se...

"Full name of the new game "The Witcher third Wild Hunt". This will be the final part of the trilogy about the adventures of a computer Geralt. CD Projekt stipulates that if the story the main character of the series created by writer Andrzej Sapkowski completed in 2014, the company has no intention to abandon the same world known witcher saga. This means that left the door open for the next game in the best-known fantasy universe created in Poland."

Now about the truth on it, I can't garantee...

aaw I hate stuff like that. If it's true it's kinda cheap. Why not create something new
instead of milking the same old cow over and over again just because people
are used to it? I'll never understand this. :S especially in this case it makes no sense.
the appeal of the witcher series mostly consists of the main character. of course the uni-
verse is interesting but fuck it, imo people are just hoping for an unofficial witcher 4 and will propbably end up disappointed.

Hargenx

The Bard: The Continuing Adventures of Dandellion confirmed!

OHHHHHHHHH!!!!

1253.jpg

Perkel

Banned
I understand your point but a new game about Letho rising the school of Vipers would be cool and can have the name Witcher on it without a REAL problem.

I think they don't want to go into witcher lore again. I think they want to create open world game in witcher universe creating new character that can be later (if players wants) trained as witcher but at the same time he can be just regular warrior mage etc.

The Witcher world is amazing imo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, no interview.

That I thought of, but it wouldn't entirely fit with their new worlds comment.

I think we would need someone to ask them directly.

sn00zer

It is amazing how janky Witcher 1 was to what the Witcher 3 is....probably the most obvious evolution of developer skill

Honestly, I have the Witcher 2 for 360 (hey, it was before I upgraded my PC), and while I have only played for a couple hours, I have not "gotten" the game yet.

I love Skyrim (and Oblivion, for that matter).

I want to like this game, so I will keep playing it (especially since these screenshots look amazing).

sflufan

Banned
It is amazing how janky Witcher 1 was to what the Witcher 3 is....probably the most obvious evolution of developer skill

Eastern European developer.
Open World.

We could be looking at a whole new level of jank here! And it shall be GLORIOUS!

Perkel

Banned
If this is true they could create something with Ciri I guess.

Would not be the same with an own made character. And still, it could be named The Witcher as Ciri was trained as one by Geralt.
The books are called The Geralt of Rivia Saga, could be cool to see a "Ciri of Cintra Saga"

Ciri would be OP and i don't see how CDPR could get her as playable character.

By the end of last book she has abilities to travel between dimensions and time, has amazing sword skills and she is also potent mage all of that at the age of 13-15. By start of TW1 she would already be 18-19 so maximal OP case.

krishian

Ciri would be OP and i don't see how CDPR could get her as playing character.

By the end of last book she has abilities to travel between dimensions and time, has amazing sword skills and she is also potent mage all of that at the age of 13-15. By start of TW1 she would already be 18-19 so max OP.
She has amnesia, problem solved!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Good, I'd hate the CDPR talent to be wasted on running a franchise into the ground. Hopefully Cyberpunk shows us the range of said talent.

Saty

Didn't get if it's because they decided to or because the license agreement is ending? I'm hard pressed to think the license owner will be more pleased with the product at other studios' hands.

Perkel

Banned

I know this may sound weird but i think TW2 with all controler problem is more janky to me than TW1EE. Especially problems with double tapping skills and other weird bugs were never fixed in TW2. Meanwhile TW1 is almost glitchless, has mindblowing story, better inventory, better narrative, better choices and the most important ACT fucking 3 which shits all over TW2 places including flotsam.

TW1 is not perfect game has balance issues (like first dog boss) but imo there is less jank. Looks way worse too.

I love TW2 i love characters in TW2 but at the same time i feel it was less "fun". There was no drinking missions, rather predictable choices, no parties. Tone is also totally different.

TW3 on other hand looks like they will combine best of TW1 meaning more "fun" and witchery quests and hard unpredictable choices with TW2 presentation.

Perkel

Banned

I don't think it would work twice for fans. Already CDPR got rimshot for Geralt amnesia in TW1. They completely overturned it with TW2 story (Wild Hunt deal) and made from it interesting subject and in some way explained amnesia to be believable to players. Especially since Wild Hunt already was important mysterious force in TW1.

People overuse Dark Souls comparisons to the point that its a cliche but that's more what TW2 is like than a Skyrim. Like if Dark Souls was way, way more of an RPG than an action game. Think of it that way and it may click with you. There is a lot to the battle system, and all the various tools you can use. And more importantly, the story is several leagues above Skyrim.

Well... um... I haven't played Dark Souls yet... I'm planning on it soon though!

Ciri would be OP and i don't see how CDPR could get her as playable character.

By the end of last book she has abilities to travel between dimensions and time, has amazing sword skills and she is also potent mage all of that at the age of 13-15. By start of TW1 she would already be 18-19 so maximal OP case.

That would make her an interesting playable character to say the least.
Lets see how CD Project treats Ciri first in the Witcher 3 though.

I loled

Ciri as a master and the player as a young Witcher...Yeah I want to make my witcher this bad...LOL

mmm, it could work

I'm actually kinda glad it'll be the last in the series. Better than running the thing into the ground.

This. We all complain about games being run into the ground and yet a lot of people don't want this to end. I'm certain a dev team knowing full well the series is at an end will pour every last bit of passion they have into the final game instead of just going through the motions as they churn out the next iteration of a game in the series.

Perkel

Banned
That would make her an interesting playable character to say the least.
Lets see how CD Project treats Ciri first in the Witcher 3 though.

I loled

mmm, it could work

Yeah interesting character and at the same time complete hell for any writer and game designer.

At least fans of fast travel would be pleased.

Yeah interesting character and at the same time complete hell for any writer and game designer.

At least fans of fast travel would be pleased.

Like making a game with Superman then. I think is VERY difficult, but not impossible, and can make shine any developer and writer that does it right for the first time.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Well, it's nice to see someone upholding a trilogy commitment after basically every game from 2005 to 2008 was pitched as one (Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, God of War, etc.), but just turned out to be ongoing series.

Kinyou

And by bang, I mean an orgy with Triss, Chani, Yennefer, that vampire chick from TW2, that milk maid from TW1, various prostitutes, etc. etc.
There was a vampire chick in TW2? Do you mean the succubus? Anyway, let me add Saskia to that list.

It would be an interesting take to have a female lead in Witcher's dark fantasy world with lots of ploughing. Instead of the female-only whore houses, you'd get

• male-only brothels,
  • skimpy underwear for all the male characters,
  • oversized crotchs,
  • and sidequests with males in distress.

It would be interesting, to say the least.
Not so interested in turning everything upside down, but I'd sure enjoy cutting everyone to pieces who asks for a ploughing.

patapuf

It would be an interesting take to have a female lead in Witcher's dark fantasy world with lots of ploughing. Instead of the female-only whore houses, you'd get

• male-only brothels,
  • skimpy underwear for all the male characters,
  • oversized crotchs,
  • and sidequests with males in distress.

It would be interesting, to say the least.

Ciri would have been just as great as geralt as a lead character. The stuff that happens to her is way more fucked up too.

You would like the books btw. it has a great female cast and Triss is by far the weakest of the bunch.
The strongest political force by the end of the books is a women only thing (they decided male rulers were incompetent and took power themselves)

Ushae

Banned
Finishing a franchise for the sake of a good ending is a great move. These guys are classy, if EA had their claws in this they'd have a sequel planned and forced devs to bastardise the story's ending.

Good move CDPR,this is why I'll always be a fan of your games :)

Perkel

Banned
Like making a game with Superman then. I think is VERY difficult, but not impossible, and can make shine any developer and writer that does it right for the first time.

Also everyone from kings to spies to sorceress league in Northern Kingdoms is looking for her (to kill/use her) and her father Emhyr aka Nilfgardian imperator want also to make beautiful new children with her.

That is reason why she leaved "this world" in Witcher lore.

simple amnesia won't do.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
FUCKING YES

PROPS TO CD PROJEKT.

And I'm serious. It's ok to end the successful TV series or movie franchise when enough is enough. Same with games. I'm glad that the medium matures.

Kikujiro

I like this way of thinking, no need to insist on the same franchise just because it's successful. If you are creatively done with it, move on to something else that you're feeling strong about. It will be better for both the creators and the gamers.

Nymerio

I actually like this. Better to wrap everything up neatly instead of trying to milk the franchise with countless sequels.

rpasiek

Some more info from CEO of CD Projekt for PAP (Polish Press Agency) Business.
http://stooq.pl/n/?f=700022

"Jest to także ostatnia część trylogii, w której będzie miał miejsce wielki finał fabuły. Nie jest to jednak jednoznaczne z końcem franczyzy. Franczyza będzie kontynuowana""

"This is the last part of the trilogy with a grand finale of the story. But it does not mean the end of the franchise. Franchise will continue"

FACE

Banned
But Witcher 2's better than anything PB made.

Piranha Bytes made Gothic 2 man.

"Jest to także ostatnia część trylogii, w której będzie miał miejsce wielki finał fabuły. Nie jest to jednak jednoznaczne z końcem franczyzy. Franczyza będzie kontynuowana""

"This is the last part of the trilogy with a grand finale of the story. But it does not mean the end of the franchise. Franchise will continue"

Letho trilogy please.

Hindle

Banned
As I just said in the other thread. Massive amounts of respect for this. Not knowing when to end a series always costs a publisher a lot IMO.

pablito

i'm actually happy to hear it. last thing i want is for this to overstay its welcome after the story was finished. if they revisit the world in a different era or with different characters i'd be down for that. but after this i'm sure i'll be satisfied with geralt. let's not turn him into a character people get tired of seeing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Not that I doubt your translation, but just to double check since it's kind of conflicting with the English release, did you (or your source) translate this from Polish without Google?

I just want to make sure I get this correct before I update the title to prevent any confusion.

Drake

I'm ok with this. I love the Witcher games, but I want to see what else they can do. I'm very excited for Cyberpunk 2077.

rpasiek

Not that I doubt your translation, but just to double check since it's kind of conflicting with the English release, did you (or your source) translate this from Polish without Google?

I just want to make sure I get this correct before I update the title to prevent any confusion.

My translation. I am from Poland

Dennis

Banned
Well, this is awkward for everyone praising them for stopping while they were ahead.....

I am not naming names (Solo, EviLore....) but lets see them resist The Witcher 4: Plougher of Queens.

Top Bottom