• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Next Gen Upgrade coming second half of 2021

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well first half of 2021 is coming to an end soon, so if they hit thier target today would be a great day to announce.....oh crap I thought it send by end of first half. ....not in second half. ....

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You can play the DLC expansions straight from the menu in this edition too. You get a pre-created character with gear roughly in the same level as you would be if playing the game normally up to the where the expansions get available.

Ah ok, thanks.

Sentenza

Well first half of 2021 is coming to an end soon, so if they hit thier target today would be a great day to announce.....oh crap I thought it send by end of first half. ....not in second half. ....
First half of 2021 came to an end almost 10 days ago, actually.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What could they possibly be adding to the PC version of this game?

elbourreau

Upgraded models or some kind of tesselation would be great, the game is a bit "edgy"... Chara AND evironment.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Witchercon was mildly interesting. Was happy to see them at least mention the upgraded edition, but beyond that they said nothing. If you had your hopes up you’ll be disappointed. I’m mildly happy that they said anything about it. As it looked like it would be completely ignored.

Mozzarella

I love the game but i think people are hyping themselves way too much for this simple visual upgrade, personally i feel its not going to improve a lot visually, i mean my expectations are low but im slightly excited to see how its going to look. I think people should stop hyping themselves up like this especially after Cyberpunk marketing tricks.
The Witchercon event was decent, i liked the section where the two quest designers spoke about the game.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I love the game but i think people are hyping themselves way too much for this simple visual upgrade, personally i feel its not going to improve a lot visually, i mean my expectations are low but im slightly excited to see how its going to look. I think people should stop hyping themselves up like this especially after Cyberpunk marketing tricks.
The Witchercon event was decent, i liked the section where the two quest designers spoke about the game.
I agree with this. I'm not going to expect too much but I really couldn't get past the 30fps last generation on the game so this is something I'm really looking forward to it. The goty is also cheap on psn right now. I think I'll buy it and wait. Don't see it getting much cheaper myself

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I agree with this. I'm not going to expect too much but I really couldn't get past the 30fps last generation on the game so this is something I'm really looking forward to it. The goty is also cheap on psn right now. I think I'll buy it and wait. Don't see it getting much cheaper myself
You can play it at 60 fps right now on XSX. Performance mode now gives a perfect locked 60.

At the moment, that may be the only console. Not sure if PS5 got that update.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's a free upgrade. If it was going to cost more money then there'd be reason to be cauitious.

What is the battle system like?
Essentially it's hack-and-slash. But, it's got a nice flow to it. You have your fast attack, strong attack. You can block, dodge, roll and parry. You also have a set of interesting magic powers that can setup knockdown insta-kills, burn, mind-control etc. Generally you would be dancing around enemies using dodge, waiting for an opening before wailing into them with sword slashes and appropriate magic. You also have certain potions and bombs you can prep in advance to further help in fights. A mistake most people make is abuse a certain magic power which grants you a protective shield covering your whole body. This, while effective, sucks the fun out of that flow of combat I described earlier. I hardly ever used that power and so found the combat to be good throughout, if not reaching dark souls like highs.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
What is it about? It looks like some kind of rpg.

Sentenza Sentenza I never had the possibility of playing it, so I totally ignored it.

It's mostly carried by the story, acting and graphics at the time (will not be visually impressive on the Switch but impressive they were able to make it run on that hardware in the first place). The open world is very paint-by-the-numbers much like what you see in Ubisoft titles these days. And speaking of Ubisoft, the combat feels a lot like what you see from modern Assassin's Creed. The loot system is bog standard too. If you are into this type of fantasy, the story and characters are entertaining and that goes for the main and side quests as well as major and minor characters. If you try to do everything, the game is fucking long. I think I clocked 70+ hours into the base game on PS4. The DLC is supposed to be excellent as well.

Overall I think it is one of the more overrated games of the last few years. I get why people like it as the story is engaging, but the game play systems are little more than serviceable. Gwent (card game) is cool but easily exploitable.

Kagey K

Banned
It's a free upgrade. If it was going to cost more money then there'd be reason to be cauitious.
Maybe they should charge 20 for the DLC and 10 for the upgrade on one system, so the fans feel like it’s worth it, with no way of buying them seperately.

While doing the same for free on the other system.

That way people will feel it’s worthwhile. 🤣

Scotty W

Gold Member
It's mostly carried by the story, acting and graphics at the time (will not be visually impressive on the Switch but impressive they were able to make it run on that hardware in the first place). The open world is very paint-by-the-numbers much like what you see in Ubisoft titles these days. And speaking of Ubisoft, the combat feels a lot like what you see from modern Assassin's Creed. The loot system is bog standard too. If you are into this type of fantasy, the story and characters are entertaining and that goes for the main and side quests as well as major and minor characters. If you try to do everything, the game is fucking long. I think I clocked 70+ hours into the base game on PS4. The DLC is supposed to be excellent as well.

Overall I think it is one of the more overrated games of the last few years. I get why people like it as the story is engaging, but the game play systems are little more than serviceable. Gwent (card game) is cool but easily exploitable.

Will the story make sense without having played the other Witcher games?

Kenpachii

Kinda funny how far this shit fest of a developer sinked.

They could have dropped this next gen version already on day one for PC. Instead they insist to keep parity with consoles.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Kinda funny how far this shit fest of a developer sinked.

They could have dropped this next gen version already on day one for PC. Instead they insist to keep parity with consoles.
How do you know? Adding stuff like ray tracing and whatever Saber Metric is doing may take some time. We really have no idea of the extent of the upgrades being performed. It’s not like they’re just upping the resolution and frame rate. You don’t farm out development for something like that.

They announced this over a year ago and its been worked on since.
Either way you look at it, it’s free and it will likely be the best way to play it for newcomers.

Finally console users will be free of that shitty non-hairworks hair and beard.

lgJagYb.jpg

Last edited:

Arioco

You can play it at 60 fps right now on XSX. Performance mode now gives a perfect locked 60.

At the moment, that may be the only console. Not sure if PS5 got that update.

It is the only console at this moment, yes. PS4 Pro version doesn't have that unlocked frame rate mode, so unfortunately on PS5 it's still capped at 30 fps. I hope that'll change with the new upgrade.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of improvements this new upgrade might have, but I'm counting on a 60 fps mode.

Can we get some DLC for the Netflix show to make it more like the games?
the show isn't meant to be based on the game. it's based on the books. the witcher games take place after the books.

Good on CDPR to do this upgrade for free, there's a few publishers out there who will charge you for shit like this (we all know who they are).
kojima

Last edited:
Top Bottom