• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Nvidia video: Behind the Scenes with CD Projekt Red

Gumbie

youserious.jpg

Dead serious. I love the Witcher series and I really just want to jump in and enjoy the game. My problem is I'll fuck with settings for a week before I ever start actually playing it on PC and then I'll be focused on a fraps counter the whole time. I just did this with GTAV instead of yanno...instead of actually playing the game. Feels bad, I need medication or something.

dmr87

I've got a good PC and I still might get it on PS4. I'm worried if I get it on PC my graphic/fps OCD's will take over and it will turn into a tweakfest.

That's part of the fun, though if you have a decent PC and are satisfied with locking it at 30 fps then you should be up and running pretty fast. The time consuming thing is to get it to run at a flawless 60 while having the settings as high as you can.

Yen looks so good, I love CDP's artists

oGZ9w9c.gif

This got me the most excited in that video. Seeing hidden areas like that dynamically knocked down is cool. I hope it's a lot more subtle than it was in TW2

Gumbie

That's part of the fun, though if you have a decent PC and are satisfied with locking it at 30 fps then you should be up and running pretty fast. The time consuming thing is to get it to run at a flawless 60 while having the settings as high as you can.

Yeah that's the thing I'll make it run at 60 and whenever I get drops I'll be back in the settings dicking with stuff again, It's not really fun when it's more of an OCD thing. Trust me I'd much rather be playing the game and I don't have a lot of free time these days between finishing up a degree, working 40+ hours a week and having a family. I'll probably still get it on PC and eventually force myself to turn off fraps and just play.

b0bbyJ03

LOL, this can't be real.

LMAO, not that I'm defending this, but I do remember when I first got my PC I looked back on the first few months and realized that I did not enjoy them as much as I did my consoles because I was always obsessed with tweaking... I would play entire games and still be tweaking them even toward the end. I had to learn to fight that compulsion... some people are just tinkerers with OCD and having too many options can really detract from the main thing you are trying to enjoy. I got over that tho.. now I just read the performance thread, mess around a bit, and forget about it... but it was not easy at first.

Gumbie

LMAO, not that I'm defending this, but I do remember when I first got my PC I looked back on the first few months and realized that I did not enjoy them as much as I did my consoles because I was always obsessed with tweaking... I would play entire games and still be tweaking them even toward the end. I had to learn to fight that compulsion... some people are just tinkerers with OCD and having too many options can really detract from the main thing you are trying to enjoy. I got over that tho.. now I just read the performance thread, mess around a bit, and forget about it... but it was not easy at first.

Pretty much. I've been a PC gamer most of my life and I still can't completely break that compulsion. Kudos to you.

I'm not sure why it's LOL LMAO HURR HURR though?

tuxfool

Banned

Yeah, I get that. Personally I enjoy tweaking so my compulsions don't really bother me.

b0bbyJ03

Pretty much. I've been a PC gamer most of my life and I still can't completely break that compulsion. Kudos to you.

I'm not sure why it's LOL LMAO HURR HURR though?

It's lol because I feel your pain... i related to what you said big time and it made me laugh just knowing that other people deal with the same shit, but I was not making fun of you.... my advice, if you have OCD, just plan to play things at 30 FPS... i know that is painful to a lot of pc people, but i think its even more painful to sit there and feel like you have to tweak everytime you have drops... I locked all the Ubi games last year to 30, watch dogs and ACU, and just enjoyed them while i watch my friends go crazy over how they couldn't get good performance. I'll give Witcher two days of tweaking, if i can't get it locked enough after that, ill just go to 30 and call it a day.

Kinthalis

Banned
How big a difference should I expect between the PS4 version and running the game on a i7 3770k, 4gb 680 build?

That'll probably get you about the same graphics as a PS4 but at a solid 60 FPS, or locked 30 with better graphics settings. Whatever you prefer.

IMHO, there's almost never any reaosn to go wiht the console version if you have better PC hardware. The only exceptions are friends who aren't PC gamers you want to play multiplayer with (not a concern here) and... well, ok, ONE reason to go with the console version. Even bad PC ports are usually better than the console version.

Gumbie

It's lol because I feel your pain... i related to what you said big time and it made me laugh just knowing that other people deal with the same shit, but I was not making fun of you.... my advice, if you have OCD, just plan to play things at 30 FPS... i know that is painful to a lot of pc people, but i think its even more painful to sit there and feel like you have to tweak everytime you have drops... I locked all the Ubi games last year to 30, watch dogs and ACU, and just enjoyed them while i watch my friends go crazy over how they couldn't get good performance. I'll give Witcher two days of tweaking, if i can't get it locked enough after that, ill just go to 30 and call it a day.

Thanks man sorry to get all defensive on you. I'm a lot better than I used to be on the compulsion stuff but it still rears it ugly head on open world games because there's so many varibles. I'm really really glad Rockstar gave a lot of settings in GTAV but it was a nightmare for me because I was like "omg must tweak all these settings". Like I said I'll probably go PC and just force myself to chill the fuck out and play. I know if I get the PS4 version I'll be bumed out later when I see all the awesome PC gameplay/screenshots. Also I've got a pretty good PC setup (780ti/3770k @4.5/16GB) that a lot of people would probably really like to have so I almost feel guilty not getting it on it :p.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
That'll probably get you about the same graphics as a PS4 but at a solid 60 FPS, or locked 30 with better graphics settings. Whatever you prefer.

IMHO, there's almost never any reaosn to go wiht the console version if you have better PC hardware. The only exceptions are friends who aren't PC gamers you want to play multiplayer with (not a concern here) and... well, ok, ONE reason to go with the console version. Even bad PC ports are usually better than the console version.

If you have a Vita, remote play is excellent.

Also Share Button is a better experience (at the expense of quality) than using Fraps, and Twitch, etc while playing on PC.

Share Play is also awesome, and great for higher difficulties.

Also if you like Trophies.

As a PC, PS4, XBO owner, I have the collectors edition ordered for PS4, and the GoG version for 13 bucks on PC. I will be playing the PC version but the PS4 version definitely almost swayed me with those features.

I see almost no reason to play the XBO version if you have either a PC or PS4 considering it lacks all of the above features, even now that it has screenshots they are cumbersome. Although "Xbox Record That" is great.

b0bbyJ03

Thanks man sorry to get all defensive on you. I'm a lot better than I used to be on the compulsion stuff but it still rears it ugly head on open world games because there's so many varibles. I'm really really glad Rockstar gave a lot of settings in GTAV but it was a nightmare for me because I was like "omg must tweak all these settings". Like I said I'll probably go PC and just force myself to chill the fuck out and play. I know if I get the PS4 version I'll be bumed out later when I see all the awesome PC gameplay/screenshots. Also I've got a pretty good PC setup (780ti/3770k @4.5/16GB) that a lot of people would probably really like to have so I almost feel guilty not getting it on it :p.

Dude, you have a killer setup, you'll be kicking yourself in the head if you don't get it for PC. My advice, set a predetermined amount of time for how much you'll allow yourself to tweak.. for me the performance thread is invaluable. On average I give myself 2 days... after that, I just lock the best settings I can get and go with it otherwise I get sucked into a perpetual cycle. You really just have to decide how much time you'll give yourself and stick to that... I also check the PC thread while I'm at work, and unless any major advances or patches have been made I just stick with what I have.. with a 780ti there is a very very likely chance you'll be able to do Ultra at 30fps... if you mess around, you can get a mix and get 60fps, so really its up to you and your taste... But trust me, I totally get where you are coming from.

UnrealEck

Also Share Button is a better experience (at the expense of quality) than using Fraps, and Twitch, etc while playing on PC.

Also if you like Trophies.

Remote play is on PC too and you have more options. You have tablets, phones and shield straight from your EVGA GTX 970.

I prefer PC screenshot and video tools a lot more. Better quality and you've got more customisability. Plus with the Twitch thing, you have multi monitor support so you can have full-screen videos and web browsers on seperate screens or in overlays. It'll look awesome right beside your 4K TV too.

You can also share games on PC.

Steam has achievements too.

Just pointing these out as you didn't seem aware of them as you just got into PC games.

Jsheldon

Seriously, I cannot understand why it is so difficult to release 5 minutes of Xbox One and PS4 footage.

It makes sense to display the version with the best graphics.....expect the same experience with slightly downgraded graphics on the consoles. I don't understand the big deal. Console gamers crying for console version, PC Gamees whining for ultra graphics gameplay. Game is out in three weeks, wait and see if you're skeptical.

Kinthalis

Banned

I have a feeling we're going to get a lot of ifs here....

And yeah Vita remote play is good, I guess you could also do in home streaming and stream to an Nvidia shield though. So if you absolutley must play the Witcher 3 ona small screen while at the bath or in bed and you don't have a shield...

What?? No. Sorry. But I'll take hitting a key to record at pristine quality with zero performance hit (with anNvidia GPU) at my full 2560x1440 and 60 FPS over crap quality on a PS4. I can stream and record at high quality bit rate too. PC is way better at this than the PS4.

Have someone else play my game for me? Eh... No thanks, but each their own. I'm not seeing this as much of a selling point vs better graphics, hairworks, and 60 FPS on PC.

PNY's GTX 970 is currently under $300 on Amazon. Dell also carries the same card at full price, $330, and I have some store credit with them. So I asked for a price match, which they do, but was denied because Amazon is offering a free copy the Witcher 3 with purchase.

Hilarious. Way to find a loophole so you wiggle out of your own promotion, Dell.

Kinthalis

Banned
PNY's GTX 970 is currently under $300 on Amazon. Dell also carries the same card at full price, $330, and I have some store credit with them. So I asked for a price match, which they do, but was denied because Amazon is offering a free copy the Witcher 3 with purchase.

Hilarious. Way to find a loophole so you wiggle out of your own promotion, Dell.

Fuck it, get the $300 + free witcher version. That ends up at $250.

Damn, it, I might actually jump on that.... Linky?

BigTnaples

Remote play is on PC too and you have more options. You have tablets, phones and shield straight from your EVGA GTX 970.

I prefer PC screenshot and video tools a lot more. Better quality and you've got more customisability. Plus with the Twitch thing, you have multi monitor support so you can have full-screen videos and web browsers on seperate screens or in overlays. It'll look awesome right beside your 4K TV too.

You can also share games on PC.

Steam has achievements too.

Just pointing these out as you didn't seem aware of them as you just got into PC games.

No I know you can do all that, but there is no denying that the ease of use and integration isnt quite the same on PC.

Also, you get me wrong, I have been PC gaming since I can remember and building my own gaming rigs for over a decade. I just recently upgraded my GPU though from a 6950 2GB Dirt 3 Edition Unlocked to 6970. I just know there are pros and cons to PC and Console gaming, neither has the best of both worlds just yet. Though that gap is indeed closing.

Some new screens:
btZY8cC.jpg

eQbs8sl.jpg

UQ0LU8d.jpg

bqq5vie.jpg

Holy mother of god. I am trying to wait on a sale, but I can see it now, I am going to end up buying another 970 FTW for this game... Must resist.

Qassim

What about ShadowPlay? All I do is press a button to start broadcasting, record last x minutes (up to 20), start recoding manually, etc. It's as simple as the Share Button with higher quality and greater configurability and practically no performance penalty.

BigTnaples

What about ShadowPlay? All I do is press a button to start broadcasting, record last x minutes (up to 20), start recoding manually, etc. It's as simple as the Share Button with higher quality and greater configurability and practically no performance penalty.

As someone who plays on their comfy couch setup on a 65" 4KTV with a gamepad 90% of the time, the other 10% I play on my dual monitor setup in the bedroom, the keyboard presses simply are more cumbersome than just pressing a button on the controller.

I am using my bluetooth keyboard and mouse to type this post, that said, when I am gaming, I don't like to have to juggle my gamepad and my keyboard and mouse. Though I do when necessary. For instance I took a few screens playing TW2 last night. However they were setup scenes where I was just standing still with a pretty backdrop. With the setup I use it is impossible to replicate action shots like you can with a Share Button.

I am not saying my PC is not capable of doing the things my PS4 can. I am saying the ease of use and intuitiveness isn't quite there yet for someone gaming on a PC in their living room.

BigTnaples

Really hoping the 970 FTW+ goes on sale sometime before release to save me from the urge of impulse buying one.

Told myself getting a 970 was just a stop gap between my 69502gb and a next next gen card. But once you pop you can't stop.

My two 3TB hard-drives arent helping either, since like 1/4th my Steam library is installed all at once now...

BigTnaples

Well fuck me. There is a EVGA 970 FTW on sale for $334, plus a $20 Rebate.

However it is not the FTW+ SLI version.

New to the Nvidia side, would I still be able to SLI them? Do I need another component?

Kezen

Banned
Phew, man that is hard to pass up. It's not a huge discount, but its also sub $300 which just might tempt me...

I think it would be wiser to wait for AMD's response. Value is subjective but they usually score well in the $/perf department.

BigTnaples

Really hoping the 970 FTW+ goes on sale sometime before release to save me from the urge of impulse buying one.

Annnd less than an hour and a half later, it went on sale, and my second 970 FTW is on it's way.

At least now I know I should be able to hit decent frames at Ultra 1440p, and 4K mixed Ultra/High. Anything better than that and I will be one happy camper.

I was strong, but not strong enough for this.

RedSwirl

If not, you could just use MSI Afterburner to cap it to 30fps.

Had no idea. How?

Anyway, when I first get this I'm still gonna try to negotiate 1080p60 on my 760. I imagine I'd have to go slightly below PS4 graphics to get that though.

Kinthalis

Banned
Well fuck me. There is a EVGA 970 FTW on sale for $334, plus a $20 Rebate.

However it is not the FTW+ SLI version.

New to the Nvidia side, would I still be able to SLI them? Do I need another component?

Yes. So long as they are the same card type (GTX 970 with GTX 970, GTX 980 with GTX 980) you cna SLi them. I'm guessing the "SLI" version is more about some difference in cooling design?

Top Bottom