• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
So I played a good few hours in Valen yesterday. Playing on Broken Bones difficultly and when I first started scaling the lands (at level 3 or 4) I was getting my ass handed to me. Kept running in to skull boss type enemies, grabbing the loot and legging it lol. Eventually got to this keep with a draw bridge, with a giant Wyvern flying atop it. Managed to jump across and inside the keep without dying. Then spent the next half an hour collecting all the goodies, area by area, avoiding confrontation and then legging it again. Felt good. I'm sure this gear is better than I ought to have right now. Lol.

taybul

It's an incredible game with some baffling UI/control problems.

It's amazing, just not perfect and I think I'm happy with that. Some UI mods on PC would be more than welcome.

Here's an example of things that need fixing:

Crafting: If I don't have a material, but I have something that can be crafted/dismantled into that material, clicking on the item should take me to the relevant crafting page.

Item Sorting: If you won't let me sort by weight/number, then at least create a separate tab for all non-quest necessary books. They should NOT be clogging up my consumable page. I'm playing on hard, I have no natural regen, I need to use that tab a lot.

Swimming: If I press ascend/descend, under no circumstances should Geralt ever, EVER do the exact opposite motion. It's happened way too often and is bizarre. If I press down, don't go up. Like, come on. Also, let me move the camera while surfacing. No reason to lock it upwards. That might get me killed if an enemy creeps up on me.

Menu Tabbing: Right trigger should not bring up a pointless stat list. It should be used to move between the left and right sides of the inventory/alchemy menus. There's a clear divide in the middle of the screen, I shouldn't have to thumb the stick over several times to scroll to the side that I want.

Bomb Equipping: Why do I only have two slots for potions/bombs? I should be able to have them all equipped at all times. All that needs to be done is add a up/down section to the LB item wheel for bombs. It wouldn't add clutter and would help a lot in keeping the pacing of fights up.

Potion EquippingHolding up/down should activate the equipped potion while tapping it should just scroll through them. That way I don't have to pause the game and go into inventory management mode every fight when I run out of one/need a different buff.
As a developer playing this game I felt it was my duty to try to fix various gripes I had with this game and you pretty much nailed each one. One of the first mods I wanted to write, for myself at least, was to be able to sort items by weight since it's aggravating having to figure out what you picked up that put you over the limit. I know there's already a mod that essentially gives you unlimited carrying but what I want to do is more to fix UI shortcomings and not alter the game too much from original design.

MadD4mon

I'm going full feline armor. I like the added damage bonus and the stamina regeneration. But I'm still missing the locations for some of the parts. Need to search more thoroughly...

iNvid02

look at this suave man. if only his beard would grow forever, a massive beard + loose/long hair + bear armor + max toxicity and you have the ultimate witcher

fp2Z3sQ.jpg

Fliesen

I abuse the dodge button a lot, so that makes me feel pretty agile even against faster enemies. In fact, I use the dodge button to move through the battlefield more than the analog stick movement. Dunno if it will help with you but... yeah, dodge dodge dodge.

i feel people tend to overuse the dodge-roll as opposed to the far superior (because not stamina consuming) dodge.

2 properly timed dodges and you're behind any golem, fiend, really.
dodge-roll is pretty much only needed for enemies that charge you.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
30 hours so far, just finished Family Matters and started exploring the big city.

Very impressive so far, but I'm in danger of burning out on the side quests. I was jazzed that they weren't fetch quests and were all fully realized and voice acted, but some of them still make me think I should just stick to the main quests. That's the thing, all of them are so "plotty" and realized, but at the end of the day it makes me lose focus too much and get overwhelmed or bored, even. Boy are there tons of cutscenes in this one. It was great at first, but my attention starts to drift at times...

The irony to me is that the last game was so laser-focused on the grand political plays, and now this game is so completely sprawling and diverse with the plots but they're so much more personal and street-level. I guess that happens when your series becomes open world, but I like the gear change a lot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Last night I had a really unexpected consequence to a dialogue choice. I use Axii every opportunity I get in conversation but this time when I did it someone else in the group noticed and freaked out, leading to a fight with about 15-20 guards. Afterwards the NPC I was with gave me a hard time for using Axii so publicly.

Forkball

I found some tower guarded by a cyclops. He was a few levels above me, but I managed to take him down and found nearly the entire Mastercrafted Ursine set diagrams. I love finding these future quest items by accident. It's also cool to bump into witcher contract givers when you don't even have the quest tracked.

Salty Hippo

What are your favorite secondary quests in Skellige? I'm kinda getting burned on sidequests at this point and want to filter the really good ones from the okayish ones. Just did a very long one that took me all over the map and it was nothing but a fetchquest.

Mendrox

i feel people tend to overuse the dodge-roll as opposed to the far superior (because not stamina consuming) dodge.

2 properly timed dodges and you're behind any golem, fiend, really.
dodge-roll is pretty much only needed for enemies that charge you.

I am using dodge (not rolling) for dancing around enemies. Never get hit lol

witness

Played as much as I could over the long weekend and got up to level 10. Haven't explored too much of Velen going to points of interest because when I first got there, I kept running into enemies that could one shot me. So I've stuck to questing and it's been so much fun. The variety is just insane and never gets boring. Just completed the baron quest line, that was one hell of a journey. I made a bunch of gear at level 8-9; both swords, chest, legs, and gloves and bought the DLC boots. Now I'm stuck here at work and back to only being able to play an hour a day during the week. So far, easily my GOTY and right now, I find it hard to believe that it will be topped for me.

Any word on the PS4 patch?

Vitor711

As a developer playing this game I felt it was my duty to try to fix various gripes I had with this game and you pretty much nailed each one. One of the first mods I wanted to write, for myself at least, was to be able to sort items by weight since it's aggravating having to figure out what you picked up that put you over the limit. I know there's already a mod that essentially gives you unlimited carrying but what I want to do is more to fix UI shortcomings and not alter the game too much from original design.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback, especially from a pro.

These are weird gripes too because I feel like TW2 had an amazing UI that actually addressed some of the above points (like the right/left trigger switching between sides of the page). They're such obvious suggestions too that I have to assume that they were considered at one point and just left out due to time constraints.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I gotta ask, does anyone use their cross bow outside of shooting drowners in the water? It doesn't have sufficient hitstun or knock down for me to consider using, and it doesn't seem to dispatch enemies quickly and it's kinda awkward to use in the middle of a fight.

So like...what is it actually for?

So I gotta ask, does anyone use their cross bow outside of shooting drowners in the water? It doesn't have sufficient hitstun or knock down for me to consider using, and it doesn't seem to dispatch enemies quickly and it's kinda awkward to use in the middle of a fight.

Useful for fighting basilisks, wyverns and griffins and such. You can shoot them out of the air if they start flying.

Getting airborne enemies to land.

Alpende

To take down enemies in the air. Although, Aard can also be used for that.

SDCowboy

I sold mine first chance I got and haven't gotten a new once since. lol

alerus

Neo Member
Menu Tabbing: Right trigger should not bring up a pointless stat list. It should be used to move between the left and right sides of the inventory/alchemy menus. There's a clear divide in the middle of the screen, I shouldn't have to thumb the stick over several times to scroll to the side that I want.

Well, I can at least help with this one. If you press the corresponding direction with the *right* analog stick it will automatically switch to that side of the system, without having to iterate through each element on the current side.

heringer

I am using dodge (not rolling) for dancing around enemies. Never get hit lol

Yep. Muhammad Ali style.

Actually, I might be way off, but the flow of the combat reminds me a bit of a slower, weighty Kingdom Hearts. It's been a while since I last played KH, but I think I'm getting a similar feeling. Constantly dodging around enemies and doing some combos mixing melee and magic.

void666

Banned
Last night I had a really unexpected consequence to a dialogue choice. I use Axii every opportunity I get in conversation but this time when I did it someone else in the group noticed and freaked out, leading to a fight with about 15-20 guards. Afterwards the NPC I was with gave me a hard time for using Axii so publicly.

I know what you're talking about. I did the same. Hurr durr i'm so smart using axii. lol
But to be fair it happened to me before. But without consequence.

Lunar15

Shooting down flying enemies.

Tried going to Oxenfurt to find the bridge closed and a guard asking for a pass.

Literally just said, nah fuck that, and hopped into the river and swam to the shore and walked in.

Made me laugh because I immediately left the conversation and hopped off the bridge.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
To take down enemies in the air. Although, Aard can also be used for that.

Getting airborne enemies to land.

Useful for fighting basilisks, wyverns and griffins and such. You can shoot them out of the air if they start flying.

Aard does the same thing though, at least at a practical level. I guess the crossbow is handy for when they try to fly away instead of when they are just flying around.

nib95

Banned

Yeap. Sorting by weight is a must. Can't believe it isn't in there.

Diablos54

Quick question, is the big city to the north in Velen, Novigrad? Or is that a completely new area, the map says they're both the same so I'm confused haha

void666

Banned

I like to use the bolt that causes bleeding.

Are you aiming? I don't anymore. Soft lock on, tap R1.

I invested in fast attacks more than strong (obviously), plus those cat skill perks

Level 21
Fast attack 621
Fast attack *critical* 1221

Strong attack 973
Strong attack *critical* 1111

I usually only strong attack as the first swing in a counterattack combo

sweet baby jesus, i actually was going to focus on maxing fast and heavy then move onto those cat skills. i had this build in my mind but i still dont have the required slots available and points to do it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
One thing about the UI text, it doesn't seem to be the size that's hard to read, but the fact that most of the important text is dark on a black background. Who thought that would be a good idea? If those lore entries were white text, and if the inventory were just using that huge negative space a little bit better, it would be much easier on the eyes.

Bluenoser

I like how there's a brief recap of a consequence. I'm glad they didn't just kind of ignore something major you decided and how it played out. For example:

I chose to spare the spirit in the great oak, and allow him to save the children, which he did. But it started a chain of events that I couldn't have anticipated, and given the choice to do over, I would definitely go back and kill him, but it's too late. Now, the nearby village is destroyed, Anna is dead, and Baron hanged himself. All because of my decision. But as depressing as that is, it's great to know that what I did mattered, and could have played out much differently.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Really? Is that based on Drowner-level, or are there other things lurking in the water that I haven't run into? Drowners at level 10 all seem to be oneshot.

I've had one encounter where enemies took 2 or three shots. This occurred in Skellige. Unfortunately, I didn't note the level, because I was in the middle of a mob when I realized I wasn't one-shotting them. Panic kind of set in.

I've been carrying around a couple of badass crossbows for like 10 levels, not high enough to use them yet (Cat school crossbow is level 29). They probably would've done the job

nib95

Banned
One thing about the UI text, it doesn't seem to be the size that's hard to read, but the fact that most of the important text is dark on a black background. Who thought that would be a good idea? If those lore entries were white text, and if the inventory were just using that huge negative space a little bit better, it would be much easier on the eyes.

Personally my plasma screen is happy lol. No image retention at all so far with this game, whereas Assassin's Creed Black Flag for example was quite fussy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom