• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Won’t Run at 1080p on Switch

Mista

Banned
Switcher-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

The Witcher Twitter account confirmed the unsurprising news that The Witcher 3 won't run at 1080p on the Switch—docked or not.

540p handheld and 720p docked

josherjohn

Banned
I'm glad more people get to play Witcher 3, but god damn that's going to be a muddy mess. I'll probably still pick it up when it gets cheap though.

Solarstrike

If someone can find a way to get ReShade/SweetFx to work on the Switch, this game will look tits. Only way to do it i think, is through some sort of app. Can someone make one and put it on the Nintendo eShop? I'd pay at least $5 for it. Thank you

somerset

Visually, it's a massive *downgrade* but what on Earth did people expect? I honestly think Switch owners are -well I'm not going to say it but jeesus, some people.

The point of the port is to allow people to experience the *story*. Well no, the *real* point is to try to win CDPR some company saving cash as they experience a very bad moment as Cyberpunk comes in late.

Please grow up, and stop pretending that hardware specs don't matter. Nvidia's final Tegra is a little miracle in and of itself, but it is a joke when it comes to running state-of-the-art games. However, now RAM/ROM isn't the limiting factor it was in days of yore, you at least get the 'full' experience even when the downgrade is massive.

But even with the downgrade, Witcher 3 on Switch will not be a title you'll wanna stress. Just be grateful you are getting it at all.

tkscz

I don't understand people's expectation for Switch ports. The system runs on 3.6GBs of usable LPDDR4 RAM, which is significantly slower than the GDDR5 on everything else, not to mention it being under clocked. While the GPU is based on Maxwell, it has a significantly lower CUDA count, smaller bandwidth, and doesn't even reach a TFLOP. I'm more shocked they get the games to run period considering how under powered the Switch is compared to the other consoles. Also it's a handheld, and don't give me that "but it was advertised as" bullshit. It's a handheld that you can put in a dock that prevents the battery from just dying, so it ups the clock a little.

The fact they get games like this to run on the Switch at all is noting less than a miracle and cool in it's own right.

meanspartan

Of course the Switch version will be a compromise, and I bet this isn't the only such compromise.

As long as they don't make too many compromises such that it isn't even worth bothering....looking at you Borderlands 2 Vita.

Something like Doom is the right balance IMO

oagboghi2

Visually, it's a massive *downgrade* but what on Earth did people expect? I honestly think Switch owners are -well I'm not going to say it but jeesus, some people.

The point of the port is to allow people to experience the *story*. Well no, the *real* point is to try to win CDPR some company saving cash as they experience a very bad moment as Cyberpunk comes in late.

Please grow up, and stop pretending that hardware specs don't matter. Nvidia's final Tegra is a little miracle in and of itself, but it is a joke when it comes to running state-of-the-art games. However, now RAM/ROM isn't the limiting factor it was in days of yore, you at least get the 'full' experience even when the downgrade is massive.

But even with the downgrade, Witcher 3 on Switch will not be a title you'll wanna stress. Just be grateful you are getting it at all.
Who are you talking to? No one thought this was going to run 1080p

The core strength of this game lies in the story content. The combat needs to be shielded from framedrops however, it must maintain 30fps to be enjoyable on higher difficulty. I believe the low settings and low resolution can accommodate that.

Fbh

Resolution was expected but those screenshots looks decent. Might actually look Ok in handheld mode.

But yeah the real question is performance

#Phonepunk#

Banned
all the footage in the trailer is pretty smooth feel like 30fps is not going to be a problem handheld. then again they cut so quick between clips & are zooming in and out it's hard to tell what's going on (it looks super smooth tho)

Last edited:
I'm surprised it hit 720p docked!

the question is does it run at 15 or 20 fps?

Or is the draw distance far enough that you see further than the nose of your horse while you ride it?

I just don't think that kind of game should be ported to the switch, but some people will still want it, so who am I to decide? - hint, I don't decide!

Top Bottom