• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 XP bug is getting fixed but not until next week

i played 3-4 main quest missions (bloody baron stuff) last night (now i'm
helping the witch and chasing the wild hunt in those caves
)and wasn't checking to see if i was getting xp. now i'm worried i wasn't as i'm barely level 5 :(

Bytes

Imagine an FPS game with a bug that prevents you from picking up any more ammo, ensuring that you will eventually run out. And then the developer tells you that it won't impact the balance of the game.

That's seriously unreal (no pun intended).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I think it only effects quests that are like 6 levels below you, so it shouldn't be a big issue.

Yeh I think I've got this. Pretty sure I didn't get anything for the last quest I did\will complete another one and see what happens.

Cantstandya

Neo Member
Any idea if this bug manifests itself even if you started a new game on 1.04 ? I finished White Orchard and did one other quest and seem to be at an appropriate level.

I'm curious to find out which quests aren't rewarding XP, side or main? I played a bit last night, one story mission and a handful of side missions, and I got XP from each of them. What I don't remember is if any of those were started post-patch.

Anyways, the world is huge and I still have tons of exploring to do in the meantime, but still this is a real bummer.

I still don't understand what this bugs does exactly, or if it's supposed to affect everyone or not.

Yep, some clarification would be nice. If it's a case of it just being random, then at least I'll know to avoid quests altogether until it gets patched.

d9b

Banned
I still don't understand what this bugs does exactly, or if it's supposed to affect everyone or not.
Quests 6 levels below your own level don't give u XP points. That's the way it should be.

If you have a bug, quests around your own level (they would be green) also don't give you XP.

Game breaking stuff.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Are you around level 20? Feeling screwed out by bugged XP rewards? Do I have a really shitty solution for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FhWx7GGOE0

Just farm this cyclops.

If you're very low level for it just use igni fire stream and hang out at the entrance to the area. If you kite him out too far he walks back, just hit him with the fire stream as he's walking back.

I think it only effects quests that are like 6 levels below you, so it shouldn't be a big issue.

That is a different situation. That is apparently intentional to prevent over leveling. This seems to impact some quests regardless of your level but there hasn't been any explanation of what causes it.

Shahadan

Quests 6 levels below your own level don't give u XP point. That's the way it should be.

If you have a bug, quests around your own level (they would be green) also don't give you XP.

Game breaking stuff.

Ok thanks. I'll check next time I complete a green quest.
Or complete a quest at all really, haven't done that for a long time :lol:

abundant

Imagine an FPS game with a bug that prevents you from picking up any more ammo, ensuring that you will eventually run out. And then the developer tells you that it won't impact the balance of the game.

That's seriously unreal (no pun intended).

It's not that bad. If you have the bug, then avoid Witcher Contracts and Main Quest until the patch goes up, as you get the bulk of your XP from them. Most side quests and killing random enemies barely give you XP, so it doesn't matter if you do them pre or post patch.

Basically, the game is still very much playable, albeit with a few restrictions. Hardly game breaking.

ViciousDS

Banned
guess I'll just wait a couple months and go play FFXIV for the time being....got Heavensward to prepare for anyways.

I did almost every side quest and ? I could within level and went to Skellige and ran into mobs only 1 level lower than me. Thought it was weird, wonder if the bug caused me to miss some crucial xp on certain quests. I can't imagine how it would be to rush the story.

I noticed if you go into a warehouse and you have to go in a window to get inside, climbing to the roof of the warehouse ends that quest with no exp given. This is the final gwent quest.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Alucrid

Banned
I edited my post. Apparently its "random" no concrete info from CDR on WHAT is causing this

well that gives me a lot of hope that cdpr can fix it now

It's not that bad. If you have the bug, then avoid Witcher Contracts and Main Quest until the patch goes up, as you get the bulk of your XP from them. Most side quests and killing random enemies barely give you XP, so it doesn't matter if you do them pre or post patch.

"just don't play 2/3s of the game"

It's really weird how random this issue seems to be. I got 2 new quests last night after downloading the new patch and got XP like normal.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anywhere I can read a detailed explanation of this bug and exactly how to determine if I'm affected or not? Seems like a pretty major bug to provide such little detail on and require a week to fix.

We don't know what triggers the bug (I hope CDPR knows).

You're lucky, but unfortunately it is widespread.

Hmm. I wonder where most people are at in the game when it hits.

Either way, start saving before you finish quests or feel them ending, just to be sure people.

Im to addicted to the game to stop even with the bug

abundant

"just don't play 2/3s of the game"

I've spent close to 100 hours in the game, most of that was just exploring and doing side quests, which again barely gives you XP in the first place. It's not ideal, but it's hardly a thing to panic about.

Number45

Bleh, I was running out of level appropriate side quests so had planned to continue on with the main quest tonight. :'(

Maybe I'll head back to White Orchard and see if there's anything else I can find. Still only level 4 or 5.

Mortemis

Banned
Haven't noticed this since I haven't played too much recently. But with this bug, there still being camera stutter/issues, font size being small, and frame rate issues (just hit the swamps, holy crap) I think I'll just put this game down for a few weeks.

Works out since I got finals anyways.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is this bug that big of a deal? I thought it only applies if you're over leveled at the time you complete a quest? Think CM mentioned 6+ levels?

Will probably only affect those people who beat the game and are going back and trying to clean up on side quests and monster hunts?

Is there anywhere I can read a detailed explanation of this bug and exactly how to determine if I'm affected or not? Seems like a pretty major bug to provide such little detail on and require a week to fix.

unfortunately, no. CDPR is being very vague.....

Alucrid

Banned
I've spent close to 100 hours in the game, most of that was just exploring and doing side quests, which again barely gives you XP in the first place. It's not ideal, but it's hardly a thing to panic about.

And when you run out of side quests that are doable at your level and then cannot level further because some quests give no XP and the rest give "barely" any?

Is this bug that big of a deal? I thought it only applies if you're over leveled at the time you complete a quest? Think CM mentioned 6+ levels?

Will probably only affect those people who beat the game and are going back and trying to clean up on side quests and monster hunts?

read the posts. that out leveling is an intended mechanic. this is a different issue

NeonBlack

Are they not clarifying what the bug is? I would like to know what I can do and if it's only certain types of quest this is broken on.

Top Bottom