• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III is not getting a PS4 Pro patch, confirms CDPR

On the one hand, I'd really love a patch. On the other...it'd make me want to do a third playthrough and I'd rather not spend another 200 hours with so many games coming down the pipe.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_w...itcher_3_isnt_being_enhanced_for_ps4_pro.html

The PS4 version of The Witcher 3 will not be updated for PS4 Pro, CD Projekt RED has confirmed, instead choosing to focus its development resources on upcoming games Cyberpunk 2077 and Gwent.
"Since we want to fully focus on Cyberpunk 2077 and Gwent, and converting The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt from a full HD game into a 4K one would be too much of a time and resource-consuming process, we decided not to release an edition of Wild Hunt supporting the new features of PlayStation Pro," the developer said.

MMaRsu

Banned
Good, I want them working fulltime on Cyberpunk, if you want to play Witcher 3 in full glory just go out and buy a PC.

Their quote raises eyebrows given that the game can already run at 4K on PC, but I understand what they mean about it being a lot of extra work and not a priority.

Disappointing though.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Optimization and testing is time-consuming. If they didn't plan for it from the start they probably don't have room for it.

The dream is dead. I expected them to be at the forefront of this, though I understand their stance, since they have to focus on Gwent and 2077.

Toki767

Seems like a pretty big missed opportunity to be honest. Especially with the GOTY Edition out.

I guess there won't be a Scorpio patch either.

elohel

Good, I want them working fulltime on Cyberpunk, if you want to play Witcher 3 in full glory just go out and buy a PC.

I mean it's absolutely true the best version would be on PC they already put in the effort for that version lol and PC stuff at true 4K would look better anyways right?

Reallink

Bodes poorly for Pro support in future titles if it's too much work to increase some config variables to higher PC equivalents, or simply double the resolution. This smells like a lot of new games will come out with no Pro improvements.

Good and bad...don't need so many old games that already look and run pretty well, but this game seem like a nice candidate for an improved version. I would really like Bloodbore and Driveclub updated too but that's about it. And if Bloodborne sequel is in the works there's no reason for that really.

New experiences baby, bring em on...even though w3 seemed like one of the few games worth going back to and sprucing up.

theWB27

Good. Even though I didn't make it through my second playthrough of Witcher 3 I'm excited to see what cyberpunks world will look like. Don't let prettier visuals on a game you aren't working on anymore deter that next project.

Marvel

could never
I've done everything I wanted to do in that glorious game, so I'm personally fine with that. Played it to death and have moved on.

Shame, if not 4k support, it would have been nice to get the higher settings and AA for 1080p. All this push for 4k, but the GPU is most excellent for 1080p settings, that it's seems like a waste.

I was kind of looking forward to finishing the Witcher 3 on my Pro once I get I get it since I can't stand the noise the fan makes when I play it on the baby PS4. I would rebuy it on PC but I'm already almost at the end and I bought some of the DLC.

I was hoping for more stable framerate on the PRO but I just hope they fix the fan noise and I'm cool.

MMaRsu

Banned
Seems like a pretty big missed opportunity to be honest. Especially with the GOTY Edition out.

I guess there won't be a Scorpio patch either.

A missed oppertunity for who exactly?

I doubt it's going to sell a whole lot more just because it has a Ps4 Pro patch.

Lister

Banned
Bodes poorly for Pro support in future titles if it's too much work to increase some config variables to higher PC equivalents, or simply double the resolution.

That work has been done on PC, but it's not straightforward porting to consoles with fixed hardware. You need to do significant passes to optimization (read removing things) both on the GPU and perhaps even CPU side of things too + Q&A, I'm sure it's not trivial.

ZeroX03

Banned
l converting The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt from a full HD game into a 4K one would be too much of a time and resource-consuming process

They don't have to make it a 4K game though? They can just improve performance? My understanding is it's not a perfectly performing game.

Tagyhag

It's probably going to be the norm, no?

In general I'm sure, but I'm hoping some of the other bigger games don't get ignored.

I think I'd be willing to give Bloodborne another try if they minimized the framepacing issues.

And I'd like for Second Son to have a better framerate as well.

Hesemonni

Banned
Fix the framerate -> patch done. Shouldn't take too much effort, but I guess they're in bed with Microsoft due to Gwent marketing deal so that's that.

It's understandable, I just hope that's not a common situation when it comes to older games.

I'm betting it definitely will be. Outside of first party games, there's not that much benefit to footing the bill for 4k updates for old titles, especially not ones that have already re-released GOTY editions. Unless they start charging for the updates, I guess.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok .. fair enough ..

I guess it would be OK enough if the Pro at the very least just irons out the kinks and makes the frame rate stick to 30 FPS more often. They don't really need a patch for that, would they ?

I consider this good news. They've supported the game more than enough post-launch, and I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing more about 2077.

Their quote raises eyebrows given that the game can already run at 4K on PC, but I understand what they mean about it being a lot of extra work and not a priority.

Disappointing though.
Pretty sure running native 4K on PC is substantially different than the method used with the Pro, and it would take quite a bit more effort than flipping a 4K switch over on their end.

Vashetti

Banned
Bodes poorly for Pro support in future titles if it's too much work to increase some config variables to higher PC equivalents, or simply double the resolution. This smells like a lot of new games will come out with no Pro improvements.

Games from October onward are mandated to have Pro support.

Top Bottom