• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix)

MadYarpen

Personally, I don't think the changing the timelines was the worst part. It was an issue and it was challenging to keep track on it - there were clues, but you had to be really careful to notice and understand them (maybe some stupid info "year/month X" would be the best solution, even if not very subtle...). But IMO the worst was that it was changing so frequently. When any part of the story was gaining any momentum, bang! lets go back in time 70 years. That's just idiotic, and ruined a lot of the show for me.

But there were many more issues... Overall I am very disappointed TBH. Some parts was surely the budget issues (if you can't do a good battle scene, just don't do it... There were also very sterile, claustrophobic locations. Also the
huge quest to hunt the dragon
looked like a school trip to a nearby forest), some it was just bad writing, woodden dialogues. So the budget is an easy part to correct. The other... Do a fucking better job.

Also what they did with dwarves was inexcusable. With all respect to those guys, dwarves were short, but they were essentially killing machines. I wouln't trust those actors with a knife (they would likely hurt themselves), let alone dwarven axe. FFS.

Acting and casting was mostly good, ok, not bad. Calanthe was terrible, but again a lot of this was due to their choice to make her being Lioness about swinging the sword like a male warrior, and barbarian.

Finally... the
battle of Sodden. The epic, war-ending, huge battle between the north and the nilfgaard, with involvement of mages. It was just caricature. Instead of epic battle we had something that looked like a bunch of highschool kids having a LARP in ruins. It was just so cringeworthy....

Reactions: Fuz

GreyHorace

I'll feel sorry for the guy they cast as Lambert if overzealous Witcher fans flood his social media with Geralt's limerick.

GreyHorace

Most likely Eskel or Vesemir.

EDIT: Actually neither. It's confirmed he's Nivellen

Kristofer Hivju confirmed as Nivellen in The Witcher

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
witcher-triss-1179538.jpeg

Kristina_as_Triss_from_Witcher_3_at_Igromir_2013.jpg

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I thought the show was ok. I haven't read the books, but I like the character looks and personalities better in the games. One positive for me, at least, is that many people who haven't played or even heard of the games will talk about The Witcher, and that's the segue for me to say "play the games, especially TW3".

God Enel

I watched the series like two weeks ago and thought it was like really bad. People saying this is Netflix’ game of thrones LOL.

I didn’t like it at all - will watch season 2 though

Gravemind

I could not for the life of me get into this show. I found myself staring at my phone for large portions of each episode. I was not interested or hooked by any of it.

Playing the games probably didnt help, because most of the casting was so radically different from what I was used to that it kind of took me out of the experience.

Don't know if I'll give season 2 a shot. Getting through season 1 was such a chore for me.

Dontero

Banned
I could not for the life of me get into this show. I found myself staring at my phone for large portions of each episode. I was not interested or hooked by any of it.

Because it is boring and not really witcher. It is some kind of hollywood badly written fantasy for shock rather than snarky fun fantasy Sapkowski wrote.

Netflix wanted GOT where Witcher was something completely different. The worst part is that they changed point of stories for completely no reason as telling those stories like you should wouldn't cost more in fact for most it would cost less.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

thelastword

Banned
And that’s ok! 👌
Thing is, I heard many people complained about it's production values and such and I was pleasantly surprised when I watched. Even "Cursed", I found there was alot I liked there.....Different folks I guess, but I love me some medieval styled series, that's my go to everytime....

GeorgPrime

Banned
FIrst season was ace. Cant wait for second season.

Best Videogaming Adaption right now and iam curious what they do with Assasins Creed Show

Last edited:
Top Bottom