• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix)

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's not for me, but that's ok. It would be somewhat easier (for my strange brain) if the TV series came before the games.. It looks better than expected though, so far.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
It's not for me, but that's ok. It would be somewhat easier (for my strange brain) if the TV series came before the games.. It looks better than expected though, so far.

Really? Weird.

Books came first. Games are based on those and so is this epic looking series too, so where is the problem?

But you said strange brains, so I gues you meant it :p

Looks really nice

MagnesG

Banned
It's too different from what I imagined what it should be based on the books.

The "Evil is evil" is said when Geralt is smiling, wtf.

Too much smiles and smug faces.
Too clean looking props and sets.

PLUS ALL THE COMPLAINTS OF THE SET ACTORS AND THE BROKEN PROMISES OF THE WOKE ASS PRODUCER.

Definitely wouldn't rate it trash before the first episode though. We'll see.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Looks much better. Cavill is dancing which makes me happy. Geralt is a flashy swordmaster after all.

Still not a fan of the woke casting, but Anya as Yennefer is starting to grow on me.

Looks like it could be good! Pleasantly suprised.

And now I'm also hopeful for the FFXIV show, which will be produced by the same company.

Arozay

Wind's howling.

Nailed the voice, looks legitimately good. But Nilfgaardian armour still looks like balls.

PhoenixTank

Did a double take when Cavil first spoke in that trailer, had to check if he was lip syncing Doug Cockle. Bang on.
Less close after that, but impressed. Definitely hits the right notes for me.
I'm still going to chuckle at the medallion but this all looks good.

MagnesG

Banned
Budget realities + those things don't appeal to normies as much. People want medieval drama, sex, and political intrigue.
It's not confirmed, but this is definitely a loose adaptation with a different direction from the books.

The fact that we had seen that much about Yen's background just from the trailers speaks volume. Typical Netflix reskin.

jaysius

Banned
This looks great, he really gets it.

The Witcher has never been big budget in video games anyway, never extremely well written in the novels either. So they follow through with the quality of the trailer it'll be spot on The Witcher.

JCK75

I've had faith in Cavill from the start, but I still have concerns about the wokeness of the writing, people who write off people who disagree with them politically as Nazis and racists are not really fit to handle the grey areas of the Witcher material.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Like like they did a really good job. Casting of Yennifer seems a bit off...but maybe she'll grow on me.

GrayFoxPL

Looks good!

Few gifs:

JLQ74pF.gif

cLoGZPT.gif

"...fangs or horns or something."

u9ncAO6.gif

LcVKUem.gif

50yr63F.gif

XzbSr8A.gif

C7Y5v9u.gif

gJrt1se.gif

DD4Ny1S.gif

6wieGe0.gif

"It's all the same."

qdY0W1l.gif

intbal

Don't know why they insisted on keeping the scrotum armor. Especially after it was so loudly mocked when the design leaked.

And I really can't support their horrible Triss casting. That's unforgivable.

Have to take a pass on this. But I hope everybody else gets some enjoyment out of it.

zenspider

I'll check it out. I wonder if it can get me over the hump between all the good things I've heard about Witcher and giving enough of a shit to bother playing it.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I'm still convinced it will be a steaming pile of shit, but the trailer is really good. At least it convinced me to give it a look.
As said before, Cavill has not the right physique for Geralt - but he's absolutely great in there. Really spot on. It shows that he's a fellow nerd. And a really good actor.

Still can't understand Nilfgard armors. Who thought they were a good idea?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looks better than I expected. Definitely going to watch this.

plushyp

Why does Geralt's hair always look like it has been washed 30 minutes ago?

Anyway, who is the lady speaking to Geralt at 0:41 seconds?

Ulysses 31

Seems like Netflix did a bait and switch and telling the story from Ciri and Yennefer's perspective instead of Geralts... =/

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Seems like Netflix did a bait and switch and telling the story from Ciri and Yennefer's perspective instead of Geralts... =/

The show is based on the books not the games. And the books do not revolve around Geralt 100% of the time. The story is told through a variety of perspectives. Yennifer, Triss, Ciri, Geralt, and a few other PoVs.

So it's not a "Bait and Switch". If it's true they are telling the story from several perspectives then that is just them following the source material in terms of how the story is told.

Top Bottom