• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix)

Tesseract

Banned
meh, not sure how i feel about this yet

some of this dialogue is fucking atrocious

looks really nice tho, and the combat is fast and ferocious

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
The show is based on the books not the games. And the books do not revolve around Geralt 100% of the time. The story is told through a variety of perspectives. Yennifer, Triss, Ciri, Geralt, and a few other PoVs.

So it's not a "Bait and Switch". If it's true they are telling the story from several perspectives then that is just them following the source material in terms of how the story is told.
I don't remember reading about Yen's detailed prequel story from the books?

There's no rule set upon this adaptation as far as the trailers goes, and the "bait and switch" also refers to the producer's earlier interviews, saying she will faithfully follow the books direction and plots, which is utter bullshit.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I don't remember reading about Yen's detailed prequel story from the books?

There's no rule set upon this adaptation as far as the trailers goes, and the "bait and switch" also refers to the producer's earlier interviews, saying she will faithfully follow the books direction and plots, which is utter bullshit.
Yeah they aren't staying 100% true, but that's fine with me. Yennifer's backstory was always something I was interested in after Geralt first realized who she was before she was a sorceress. I'm glad we are gonna get some kind of interpretation of it.

As long as the stay somewhat faithful I'll be happy. I'm not naive enough to expect a true book faithful story. As long as they get the broadstrokes right I'm good.

MagnesG

Banned
Yeah they aren't staying 100% true, but that's fine with me. Yennifer's backstory was always something I was interested in after Geralt first realized who she was before she was a sorceress. I'm glad we are gonna get some kind of interpretation of it.

As long as the stay somewhat faithful I'll be happy. I'm not naive enough to expect a true book faithful story. As long as they get the broadstrokes right I'm good.
I guess. I do have to remind myself this is an adaptation, and specifically a Nextflix adaptation.

As long as people can enjoy it even with the woke cast and the new writings, I don't mind much. The superior materials still exists and potential fans are arguably, still the fans

It's sad though seeing how the current political landscape butchered the whole thing, from my perspective.

Neolombax

Looks better than I expected. I'm liking the action shots. It looks clean, and the swordplay looks similar to what Geralt would do in the games. Going to be looking forward to this.

Nobody_Important

I guess. I do have to remind myself this is an adaptation, and specifically a Nextflix adaptation.

As long as people can enjoy it even with the woke cast and the new writings, I don't mind much. The superior materials still exists and potential fans are arguably, still the fans

It's sad though seeing how the current political landscape butchered the whole thing, from my perspective.
Butchered it? How?

Also "woke cast"?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Looks a lot better than the previous trailer, but still skeptical based on the Nilfgaard nonsense and the writing team.

Reactions: Fuz

MagnesG

Banned
Butchered it? How?

Also "woke cast"?
See Yen and Triss casting, and the BAME casting notice before. Also refer and read the multiple producer's interview regarding the whole grey area of the story's Slavic originality. Of course the whole thing could be argued that this is just an adaptation plus DIVERSITY BLABLA but I don't care. That's just my perspective.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

See Yen and Triss casting, and the BAME casting notice before. Also refer and read the multiple producer's interview regarding the the whole grey area of the story's Slavic originality. Of course the whole thing could be argued that this is just an adaptation plus DIVERSITY BLABLA but I don't care. That's just my perspective.
Well that's one way to look at it I guess.

[Asmodean]

I think the issue I have with this (apart from the already mentioned E or Everyone woke sh*t) is that this series is clearly rooted/based on the Witcher 3. not the books.

Don't get me wrong ffffnn I love the games, but it looks like they went with what was more mass-appealing.. of course, but still.. I suspect it will be a lot more...face value, than the OG Witcher is.

Edit: Saying that.. not going to actually judge without giving it a fair chance.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Good stuff, maybe you belong here after all. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Yeah they are great books. I wish more people would read them. I feel like if they did they would be picking up on all the major stories the show seems to be touching on.

Like the fact the trailer seems to be clearly showing us the infamous Dinner at Cintra in all its glory. I was afraid that particular scene was gonna be a brief flashback given we have already seen a teenage Ciri. But it seems like we are gonna see the whole thing.

I feel like more people would be hyped if they knew what they were in for lol

MagnesG

Banned
Yeah they are great books. I wish more people would read them. I feel like if they did they would be picking up on all the major stories the show seems to be touching on.

Like the fact the trailer seems to be clearly showing us the infamous Dinner at Cintra in all its glory. I was afraid that particular scene was gonna be a brief flashback given we have already seen a teenage Ciri. But it seems like we are gonna see the whole thing.

I feel like more people would be hyped if they knew what they were in for lol
Is this from the timeline where Ciri is supposedly a small child from the books?

RPGCrazied

Damn! What a nice trailer. So good in fact its making me play through 3 again. First time on a Pro and it looks nice.

Reactions: Isa

Nobody_Important

Sorry I mean that dinner in Cintra. I didn't remember what happened then?
Long and short of it is that Ciri's grandmother Queen Calanthe invites Geralt to the ceremonial dinner where she introduces her daughter Pavetta to potential suitors. She intends to use Geralt as a hired killer basically, but Geralt refuses. Shit goes VERY sideways and Geralt invokes the Law of Surprise.

God I hope they stay true to the books for all of it. It's one of the best parts of the books.

MagnesG

Banned
Long and short of it is that Ciri's grandmother Queen Calanthe invites Geralt to the ceremonial dinner where she introduces her daughter Pavetta to potential suitors. She intends to use Geralt as a hired killer basically, but Geralt refuses. Shit goes VERY sideways and Geralt invokes the Law of Surprise.

God I hope they stay true to the books for all of it. It's one of the best parts of the books.
Ooh, it will be a clusterfuck if they miss that, basically the whole reason this series starts, except for maybe those small side stories. I didn't remember that this happened on their dinner but I guess it is.

...and yeah, I fucking hope they stick to the main events and avoid adding a whole lot nonsense. God, I'm not really optimistic though. The timeline's changed for example, the impact for what happened later, (later and later) while Ciri being a small child compared her being a teen is already quite different. Maybe her relationship to Geralt and Yen will change too, or they did the worse, going on the easiest route and just butchered some segments to fit what fits in their narrative.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Ooh, it will be a clusterfuck if they miss that, basically the whole reason this series starts, except for maybe those small side stories. I didn't remember that this happened on their dinner but I guess it is.

...and yeah, I fucking hope they stick to the main events and avoid adding a whole lot nonsense. God, I'm not really optimistic though. The timeline's changed for example, the impact for what happened later, (later and later) while Ciri being a small child compared her being a teen is already quite different. Maybe her relationship to Geralt and Yen will change too, or they did the worse, going on the easiest route and just butchered some segments to fit what fits in their narrative.
Honestly I think they adjusted the timeline with Ciri because it's easier to get good acting out of a older teenager than it is a child. So if it results in a better acting job I'm cool with them adjusting the timeline.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I know Cavill doesn't really match up with Geralt's overall look in the games, but damn you can tell he's really into the part. From what I understand he's a big fan of the games, looks like he's putting in 110% effort here. For that reason I'm rooting for him to do really well. Looking forward to the series, I thought the trailer was better than I expected. (PS I actually like the yennefer casting, she looks great, not sure what the big deal is)

Fbh

I still wish it had more color instead of that grey/low contrast look, and the special effects looks kinda bad.

But aside from that it seems surprisingly decent.

Sentenza

Not gonna lie, I thought the overwhelming majority of their promotional material/teasers so fare reeked of complete disaster, but this is the first trailer so far that made me think "It doesn't look half bad".

Davey Cakes

I only started Witcher 3 for the first time last night. I never realized Geralt sounded THAT gruff and raspy. It’s almost over the top. That said, after watching that trailer again, man, Cavill DID get pretty close to replicating the voice.

Honestly, if this show disappoints, I’ll be surprised if it’s any fault of Cavill’s. The guy seems really invested in the role.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I know nothing about this series how good are the books ?
Will this be the next game of thrones level of global hype ?
Or just a series that is good enough to generate some interest?

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Not gonna lie, I thought the overwhelming majority of their promotional material/teasers so fare reeked of complete disaster, but this is the first trailer so far that made me think "It doesn't look half bad".
Agree, but don't get your hopes up.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
IMO Cavill is nailing it. Helps that he really wanted the roll to begin with.

Yenn's actress is hot, don't really care that she doesn't "Look" like Yenn.

Ciri's characters is obviously completely different from the games which is fine (I didn't read more than Last Wish from the books).

The combat looks great, liked seeing the magic, and I really hope they explain the potion stuff because its actually an interesting aspect of "The Witcher".

Is that other chick Triss or some other character (the brunette he sword fights with)?

The only thing that looks kinda bad is the Nilfgaardian Armor and the cgi.

Nobody_Important

They changed the story. SJW Witcher.
That article is clearly written by someone who never actually read the books. The story in the books is NOT told from just Geralts perspective. There are several other PoVs in the books and most of them are from female characters. For example Triss has her own chapters. Ciri has LOADS of her own chapters. In fact significant stretches of one of the first books doesn't even feature Geralt at all and instead follows Ciri and Yennifer at the temple of Melitele and then follows their journey to the Island of Thanedd for the gathering of the Brotherhood of Sorcerers.

The idea that they are ignoring the books and doing a "bait and switch" for "SJWs" by telling the story from the perspective of Ciri or Yennifer is just straight up bullshit. It's actually what Andrzej Sapkowski does in the books. Geralt is not always the PoV character. It's just intentional misinformation meant to farm clicks.

I know nothing about this series how good are the books ?

The books are amazing. Would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy setting.

Will this be the next game of thrones level of global hype ?

Considering it not going to be episodic like GoT and people will just bring watch the whole season I doubt it will be a hot topic arounf the water coolers at work like GoT was. It also won't have as many episodes as a typical GoT season.

I do however think it could be the next big thing in terms of fantasy tv shows. With GoT gone now and the LOTR show from Amazon WAY WAY off there is nothing that hold the crown at the moment. I could see Witcher taking it if Netflix has done it properly.

Or just a series that is good enough to generate some interest?
I think it will absolutely generate alot of interest. Netflix has been marketing the hell out of it.

Last edited:

thief183

So I mean.. for something that doesn't unkowledge the games, it sure has a lot of reference to them, btw... they should really hire someone able to use a sword for these kind of roles.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That article is clearly written by someone who never actually read the books. The story in the books is NOT told from just Geralts perspective. There are several other PoVs in the books and most of them are from female characters. For example Triss has her own chapters. Ciri has LOADS of her own chapters. In fact significant stretches of one of the first books doesn't even feature Geralt at all and instead follows Ciri and Yennifer at the temple of Melitele and then follows their journey to the Island of Thanedd for the gathering of the Brotherhood of Sorcerers.

The idea that they are ignoring the books and doing a "bait and switch" for "SJWs" by telling the story from the perspective of Ciri or Yennifer is just straight up bullshit. It's actually what Andrzej Sapkowski does in the books. Geralt is not always the PoV character. It's just intentional misinformation meant to farm clicks.

The books are amazing. Would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy setting.

Considering it not going to be episodic like GoT and people will just bring watch the whole season I doubt it will be a hot topic arounf the water coolers at work like GoT was. It also won't have as many episodes as a typical GoT season.

I do however think it could be the next big thing in terms of fantasy tv shows. With GoT gone now and the LOTR show from Amazon WAY WAY off there is nothing that hold the crown at the moment. I could see Witcher taking it if Netflix has done it properly.

I think it will absolutely generate alot of interest. Netflix has been marketing the hell out of it.
I am already sick of the fact that many people have decided that it will be SJW shit before they actually watch, make an effort to judge for themselves.

It must be a pretty sad life to just look for any evidence that supports your worst fears in everything. Yes, I am well aware of the views of the creator, but if I only limited what I enjoy to people who agree with me, I'd despise anything and everything.

Plus, Yennefer looks kinda hot. When I saw the initial pic, I wasn't so sure.

Last edited:

jonnyp

I loved it from the beginning until I saw the first picture/video. But after seeing him in the trailers, I am now fully convinced.

He was a truly a SUPER choice.

Cannot say I agree. The more I see from the teasers and trailers the less I like his casting. Personally feel someone like Anson Mount would have been a way better fit. But I will withhold my final judgment until I see some episodes.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Cannot say I agree. The more I see from the teasers and trailers the less I like his casting. Personally feel someone like Anson Mount would have been a way better fit. But I will withhold my final judgment until I see some episodes.
Never a bad idea.

I think I will really enjoy it and look forward to watching it. It could end up sucking.

mckmas8808

Banned
I am already sick of the fact that many people have decided that it will be SJW shit before they actually watch, make an effort to judge for themselves.

It must be a pretty sad life to just look for any evidence that supports your worst fears in everything. Yes, I am well aware of the views of the creator, but if I only limited what I enjoy to people who agree with me, I'd despise anything and everything.

Sad lives those people live man. It's insane to walk around with that type of thinking everyday of your life.

Nobody_Important

Sad lives those people live man. It's insane to walk around with that type of thinking everyday of your life.
Yeah I don't get it either. From the moment casting began people have been losing their mind with the typical "SJW" garbage that you see these days. All while not ever having read the books by the sounds of some of the complaints i have seen and not having seen a single episode of it for themselves.

It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom