• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix)

Makariel

What does this mean?
It means what I wrote: Twitter is shit. Which of these three words causes difficulties understanding the meaning of the complete sentence? What I don't understand is: why anyone uses this pointless social media platform. It's facebook status updates minus anything else that made facebook mildly interesting in some distant past (mind you: I left facebook many years ago so no idea what that thing does now). It fails to be economically viable and constantly falls short of expectation. However: investors keep pumping money into it in the hopes it turns this shit into gold. Spoiler warning: it doesn't. Twitter is only useful for lazy "journalists" (or "churnalists") who don't want to do actual work and just scour twitter all day for snippets of controversy to exploit.

Also, you conveniently ignored that my next sentence was "In all seriousness:", with the implication being what was written prior was (at least partly) in jest. Or for twitter users: #woosh ;)

Mendax89

She clearly draws inspiration from the games when it's convenient to her. The armor. The hot tub scene. The black blood potion. Everytime she makes some controversial decision it's "Based on the books", even when she changes things from the books. The argument "Oh, it's because I'm following the books not the games" it's a way to cover the awful decisions she made, and most people here supports her and this dumb argument.
If you don't like it or the casting? You're a sexist, racist or another -istophobe .
No respect for the source material, no artistic fidelity, lots of changes.
Another dumb down Hollywood production.

Bogey

Banned
Man, I want to like this, but it just really feels like Netflix doesn't have the budget for it.

The CGI looks absolutely horrible in every scene of that trailer. Even plain forests look like a 5 year old tried to photoshop some extra trees in there. And that's before that absolutely random, horrible looking over the top color grading in every single scene.

oagboghi2

I don't know dude, I haven't really paid much attention to what her and her "comrades" have said on twitter. I guess I just don't obsess/give a fuck about such things.

For example:
Tom Clancy was a pretty die hard conservative, but that didn't make me enjoy his books/movies any less. I can't really stand Ted Nugent in person, but dammit I love many of his songs. Robert DeNiro is unmistakably very liberal, but I still love his gangster movies.

I've got this crazy idea that maybe just maybe the Witcher writers main goal is to simply provide entertainment to us.

I'm gonna give them that chance.
why are you pretending that you are some type of victim here. Is anyone here blocking you from watching the show?

People are making accurate observations based off the of the history of people making the show. That is it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
why are you pretending that you are some type of victim here. Is anyone here blocking you from watching the show?

People are making accurate observations based off the of the history of people making the show. That is it.
Pretending that Im the victim? That's funny. It seems to me you like you guys are the ones whining about potentially being crushed by an evil liberal* agenda, while Im the one saying we should just wait and see and keep an open mind.
tenor.gif

Anyway, Im out ya'll have fun.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Looking forward to seeing which stories from the books they adapt and seeing some of the monsters come to life. I wasn't sure about Cavill being cast but it looks like he's going to be great. Fingers crossed.

Makariel

She clearly draws inspiration from the games when it's convenient to her. The armor. The hot tub scene. The black blood potion. Everytime she makes some controversial decision it's "Based on the books", even when she changes things from the books. The argument "Oh, it's because I'm following the books not the games" it's a way to cover the awful decisions she made, and most people here supports her and this dumb argument.
If you don't like it or the casting? You're a sexist, racist or another -istophobe .
No respect for the source material, no artistic fidelity, lots of changes.
Another dumb down Hollywood production.
I see. You are disappointed that Netflix did not send the script to you for personal approval. I can understand that you are feeling this way, after all, you are the internationally know expert on adapting fantasy book series to tv shows. I'm not entirely sure who these "most people here" are you refer to, but I guess quite a few of them are made of straw. I'd argue that "most people" actually have no fucking clue who the persons are that are writing the screenplay (I don't, and I'm too lazy to google for it), hence it's strange that they would be "supporting" an argument they haven't heard from a person they don't know. I guess you try to exaggerate for effect, but really, to me it looks like someone yelling at clouds complaining about the weather.

You don't like the casting:

1*AxtOtUVCQPM2fFhfIRwRaQ.jpeg

I mean, sucks for you I guess. But Netflix is paying for the series and not you, and since it's their money they can do whatever they want with it as long as they don't break any laws. Crazy, right? This capitalism thing is getting out of hand, why do we not have a council of Witcher-experts that has the final say on anything regarding this series? But if you'd have the money available to pay for the series, you could cast whoever you want in it, so there's that option. I'm also not sure who in this thread has called you or anyone a sexist racist or whatever-phobe? Perhaps you can point that person out since I thought personal attacks are against board rules and such. You can report such behaviour (there's that button on the bottom left of every post) and the friendly mods will take care of people who call you names for no reason.

ymoc

Pretending that Im the victim? That's funny. It seems to me you like you guys are the ones whining about potentially being crushed by an evil liberal* agenda, while Im the one saying we should just wait and see and keep an open mind.
tenor.gif

Anyway, Im out ya'll have fun.
I'm reading his reply to your post and I'm like, what is he even talking about?
Don't let it get to you, my friend. He is arguing in bad faith and since he can't really find anything to disagree with, he runs an imaginery conversation with you in which you say what he wants you to say, so that he can run you down.
It's really weird.

Makariel

I'm black but even I, cringe whenever I see non-European looking cast in medieval settings.
It's not medieval, it's fantasy. Medieval would be a depiction of a period of European history, but Witcher is not a documentary. There are dragons, dwarves, elves, various ghouls, golems, vampires and werewolves and that's all fine, but when a human shows up that's not white you draw the line? Seems rather arbitrary to me (unless you really believe that ghouls, elves and golems did exist in Europe, in which case I have a bridge to sell to you :p). I understand that argument in a case like Kindom Come: Deliverance, which is set in European history, and where I would have found it really weird if there was some attempt to fulfill a quota for the sake of multiculturalism. But Witcher is a fantasy series, so anything goes really.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned

GreyHorace

Those impressions sure look favourable to the series and I like that people are saying the fight choreography is fantastic.

But I'll wait till the series finally premieres. Here's hoping they nailed it.

MadYarpen

Ok now i am hyped AF.
  • Good cast
  • Good writing
  • Good fighting choreography
  • Emotions

= win for me. Sounds like the witcher.

I really like that someone referred to this as a good adaptation of the books.

Also, I will be very glad if it ends up better than GoT. Not that I disliked this series (it annoyed me sometimes though), but in my opinion the wither books are soooo much better than Martin's series. But that's just a personal opinion, the witcher books are super important to me. They deserve a good treatment.

MadYarpen

Some good new videos. They keep referring to the books, which is great.

What I also like, is that Cavill does seem to understand the character. And that he clearly wanted this role. He is also clever about using the games to improve the way he plays Geralt.

When I think about it, everything seems fine here, if we are not nitpicking. Showing more of Yen's history is maybe bold, but IMO ultimately a good decision. She is super important character of the books, one of three main really, and for the series this should work well.

GreyHorace

I just want it to be December 20 already so I can give my verdict on it.

It's funny that I'm more hyped for this than Rise of the Skywalker. Then again, The Mandalorian already has me covered on giving me a Star Wars fix. If The Witcher is just as good or even better than that show, it's a good time to be a fantasy fan on TV.

Last edited:

imsosleepy

lol this shows how stupid and toxic the internet can be
there is a group of talented people who set out to make a witcher series with a lot of passion but the hate they got with every casting was insane..
People on the internet are so fucking entitled. Yen does not look good, Ciri does not look good!
And now all I see is people in the comments saying how they were wrong and it looks great and the casting seems perfect

And stil there are people who fell for all those SJW hate the show got and think they the show is catering to the SJW audience and wil refuse to watch it lol

MadYarpen

there is a group of talented people who set out to make a witcher series with a lot of passion but the hate they got with every casting was insane..
People on the internet are so fucking entitled. Yen does not look good, Ciri does not look good!
And now all I see is people in the comments saying how they were wrong and it looks great and the casting seems perfect

And stil there are people who fell for all those SJW hate the show got and think they the show is catering to the SJW audience and wil refuse to watch it lol

You just have to hope that the most vocal group is actually the smallest one, and reasonable people at least wait with conclusions until they see the damn thing. Hopefully with open minds.

MagnesG

Banned

Keep seeing what you want to see. Most of it are already holding off from giving any kind of judgement for now.

GreyHorace

Yes. Why not? Because an actor might just interpret a fictional character differently than you would.
This. Not every work is going to interpret a character the same way.

For us who came to The Witcher through the games, this is the Jaskier (Dandelion) we know.

6c9cc75f85efb04dea40baee64417790.jpg

In the original Hexer series, however, they had this guy play Jaskier.

latest

Which brings us to Joey Batey as Jaskier in the Netlix series.

rv7nrksfs0441.gif

Not every adaptation of the character is going to be the same, though I do appreciate the showrunners taking elements from CDPR's design of the character for their take.

GreyHorace

Okay. I hate to continue on this topic of Jaskier, but the soundtrack to the series recently popped on Youtube. It includes a song performed by Joey Batey called "Toss a Coin to your Witcher."

And it's awesome.

Here it is if you all want to give it a listen.

adamosmaki

this went to i'm not gonna see it to maybe i will watch it to will watch it . Mainly thanks to Henry Cavill . Dude is a Witcher fan and talks in support of the fandom let alone he is one of us a gamer ( i mean he even mentions Total War games ). I dont feel some of the casting option ( like Triss ) but so far the show looks quite decent

MagnesG

Banned
Yes. Why not? Because an actor might just interpret a fictional character differently than you would.
So where does this fits in the timeline then? I have no qualms with the portrayal of the character, just felt a bit weird he's talking about Ciri like that.
and I mean with how he acts in the books.

The show looks more and more unfaithful than the games I'd say. Just an observation. I had no idea how they gonna twist the original plot to fit the narrative. Though why not make Jaskier a black? More diversity points lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Some good new videos. They keep referring to the books, which is great.

What I also like, is that Cavill does seem to understand the character. And that he clearly wanted this role. He is also clever about using the games to improve the way he plays Geralt.

When I think about it, everything seems fine here, if we are not nitpicking. Showing more of Yen's history is maybe bold, but IMO ultimately a good decision. She is super important character of the books, one of three main really, and for the series this should work well.

Damn, this looks fantastic. Is that part about Yennefer being deformed at birth from the books? Did she change herself through magic?

MadYarpen

Damn, this looks fantastic. Is that part about Yennefer being deformed at birth from the books? Did she change herself through magic?
Yeah, though in the books not much was said directly. That's why what they are doing is quite different. In the books you are meeting yennefer, generally, looking through Geralt's eyes when they meet.

Top Bottom