• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix)

Kadayi

Banned
The racism is between the elves, dwarves and humans - not blacks, who were not in the world.

Because it's okay to have racial avatar stand-ins, but heaven forbid the world of the Witcher features anyone whose not white. That's too much, right?

Last edited:

Katsura

See the fundamental problem here is you're thinking you're fighting some sort of necessary crusade here against Wokeness creeping into your media, but the reality is unlike say the whole Kingdom Come Deliverance situation (an actual historical game) the world of The Witcher is a work of complete fiction set in a fictional universe distinct from our own. So none of these presented arguments against people of colour being in it carries any water, and unfortunately, they do sadly come across as pretty narrow-minded in a 'Whites only in my Fantasy thank you very much' kind of way.

Netflix, they're a global company, they want to appeal to as broad a range of people as possible, and as it's a fantasy setting versus a historical one I just don't think it's a particularly worthwhile venture to start getting irate about, least of all over several posts in this thread. There were different ways to go with implementing POC in the show. They could have made all the elves POC, but then given there's the whole cleansing storyline, I'm not sure that would have sent the right message. Similarly, they could have made Nilfguard all POC, but again that wouldn't have necessarily sat that well. As was it might have felt a little off to see the odd POC here and there, but in truth, they were few and far between.

giphy.gif

Back under your Bridge

Considering I got banned from GAF back in the day for defending Daniel Vavra here when he was getting savaged by the press for not kowtowing to the SJWs with KCD, I find your statements about me in the absence of any actual reasoned counter-arguments pretty juvenile tbh.
That's rich coming from someone posting GIFs as a response. Get off your imaginary high road and understand that when you interfere in the way you did, by insinuating people are racist, you will get told to piss off. Why would i spend any time debating someone like you?

Oh and just so you can't claim i'm trying to avoid engaging you - If this race swapping is because Netflix is a global company trying to appeal globally then why didn't they race swap a lot more asians in? There are far more asians than black people globally and the asian markets are much bigger than the african market but no, it's always black people. I wonder why that is

Last edited:

Katsura

You did make a debate, you wrote things to explain your perspective and you made many, and I mean many claims with 0 evidence or proof. Not a single link or example that backs up many of the points you make.

Your entire argument comes down to a couple things

*The Netflix adaptation of a book loosely based on Polish folklore, disrespects that Polish folklore by including black people because there weren't black people in Poland at that time.

That was an actual point of yours. To back that up in any way, you just need to show any large notion of Polish people feeling their folklore was disrespected by the inclusion of black actors in The Witcher. Since you obviously don't speak for the entire population of Poland in any capacity, you are in fact, a random not Polish not living in Poland guy on Neogaf, just typing that it is disrespectful to Polish people isn't enough.

*Because the book does not have black people, they do not and should not exist in the Witcher universe.

I am simply asking you to explain why you feel this way. Why are black actors not allowed to star in a US adaptation of a Polish book, when the author and no large number of Polish people care, and some actively support? What makes you the definitive judge in this context? Why are you entirely ignoring the fact that while the setting of The Witcher may have real life influences, it does in fact take place in a purely fictional world?

*All race swapping is bad

That's just a stupid point. It's a blanket statement that a literal infinite number of situations would disprove. Diversifying adaptations of content not about race, and making them more modern is inherently bad? If they remake content that was white washed by hollywood, correcting the white washing would be inherently bad?

As for the racist stuff, I call you a racist because you have no real points or arguments that don't boil down to not wanting black people in Witcher for personal reasons. The most definitive person who has a say doesn't mind it, and actually speaks very positively about the diversity. That is the author of the actual books. You have not provided any tangible evidence of the author ever thinking otherwise. You have not provided anything about the Polish feeling disrespected. You are projecting unto other people, and what you are projecting is bias against diversity.

And for me being a sjw, calling out an idiot does not make one an sjw. I am an adult that through life and working around a lot of people, has actually empathy towards people of a different race. I know the diversity in the witcher made a lot of people really happy. I know for a fact, outside of a tiny minority on this here internet, that it has not upset anyone. Especially not those that matter. And I'm calling it out. If I did digging and found the author really wanted the setting of The Witcher to accurately show Europe during this time period if the monsters and magic actually existed, I would admit I'm completely wrong and the diversity was a bad decision.
Another wall of nonsense. I didn't debate you. That would have required you made valid points which you haven't so far. You jump into the thread calling people racist. To expect anyone would engage you honestly after that makes you a moron. Go take a look in the mirror and reflect on how you've acted in this thread and you just might realise why people don't give a shit about your nonsense

Katsura

That's like saying "we felt Dwayne Johnson was the best option to play Willow in the remake. He totally nailed the audition.".
Exactly. It's a complete copout but these bugmen will eat up any excuse. It's the same nonsense excuse they tried when they cast Michael B Jordan as the human torch in the Fantastic four disaster. The idea they couldn't find a white woman capable of playing Triss is so moronic only an idiot would think it's a valid argument

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
That's rich coming from someone posting GIFs as a response. Get off your imaginary high road and understand that when you interfere in the way you did, by insinuating people are racist, you will get told to piss off. Why would i spend any time debating someone like you?

giphy.gif

Also 3 posts in a row? Really. You know there's a multi-quote feature right?

Katsura

giphy.gif

Also 3 posts in a row? Really. You know there's a multi-quote feature right?
I love how you avoided my point. So much for honest engaging huh? It took you one post to out yourself as exactly what i said you are

Last edited:

Katsura

That's pretty ironic. You berate me for not using multi-quote and then you fail at making a proper quote yourself. At least we see who you truly are. Faced with a proper counter argument that completely destroys your point, it's back to lame reddit tier gifs and lol reactions

Last edited:

Freeman76

Oh and just so you can't claim i'm trying to avoid engaging you - If this race swapping is because Netflix is a global company trying to appeal globally then why didn't they race swap a lot more asians in? There are far more asians than black people globally and the asian markets are much bigger than the african market but no, it's always black people. I wonder why that is

People wanting all this equality and picking out where certain races are not represented IS fucking racism, you are wasting your time with these people mate. Victim speak is the way of the world nowadays, if everything isnt represented in equal measure someone is oppressed somewhere. It's pathetic and I am really not sure what these fuckers will do when something serious happens in their life.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Just finished bingeing on it. Damn it was an entertaining show and loved the action. I smiled as I watched it bcus the whole time I was thinking "damn this reminds me so much of the game," They did a good job, cant wait for more.

Plus nice tits and ass. You can't go wrong.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
That's pretty ironic. You berate me for not using multi-quote and then you fail at making a proper quote yourself. At least we see who you truly are. Faced with a proper counter argument that completely destroys your point, it's back to lame reddit tier gifs and lol reactions

Christ on a bike. You just implied that the reason that The last Fantastic Four film was bad was not because it was a poorly written and directed film but because they cast a black man in a role and secondly for some bizarre reason you think that the actress playing Triss Merigold in the show is black also? I hate to break it to you but she isn't.

I mean jeez, here she is with her parents: -

Anna-Shaffer-Family-Parents-Sibling.jpg

Is there perhaps some ethnicity in the family line? Possibly on her mother's side., but frankly she could just as well be from Greek, Italian or Spanish stock with that complexion and hair.

Hilarious.

Last edited:

Katsura

Christ on a bike. You just implied that the reason that The last Fantastic Four film was bad was not because it was a poorly written and directed film but because they cast a black man in a role and secondly for some bizarre reason you think that the actress playing Triss Merigold in the show is black also. I hate to break it to you but she isn't.

Biowikis.com/anna-shaffer/

Hilarious.
No, i never implied that. Perhaps you should learn how to read. I said that movie was a disaster. Oh and you still have not addressed my counter to your moronic claim that it's just because they're trying to appeal globally. Either do that or piss off. You're by far the most intellectually dishonest person in this thread. You make wild claims and accusations based on nothing but your own projections, then when countered you try to pretend it never happened or post reddit tier pics

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
No, i never implied that. Perhaps you should learn how to read. I said that movie was a disaster. Oh and you still have not addressed my counter to your moronic claim that it's just because they're trying to appeal globally. Either do that or piss off

LOL who the fuck are you hoping to convince? Why even bring up Michael B Jordan in the place? Also where is the concession that you were completely wrong about Anna Shaffer? Did you see the picture of her parents?

Katsura

LOL who the fuck are you hoping to convince? Why even bring up Michael B Jordan in the place? Also where is the concession that you were completely wrong about Anna Shaffer? Did you see the picture of her parents?
Address the counter point or piss off

CrisPy2019

Only thing I can say is boring first 2 episodes. Bad pacing.

Visually impressive but execution is just chaotic and if you go grab a coffee from the kitchen without pausing you already can't keep track of the story.

To many things happening that basically don't need to happen. Nonsensical time jumps without any indication of being one. Etc...

It's like they were forced with a gun to make a season short so they had to cram alot of shit into each episode.

Tldr.
Visually nice.
Director needs to be fired because pacing disaster.

Also if SJWs can complain about half-blood Yasmin in Aladin. I can complain about Yennefer being half Hindu.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Address the counter point or piss off

A conspiracy isn't a counterpoint. Netflix might commission shows but the actual production companies make them and cast them. This idea that there is some agenda coming down from up high just doesn't hold upto scrutiny when you look at other Netflix produced Dramas like the Crown, The Last Kingdom, Dark, 1983 etc.

Feel free to concede you were wrong about Anna Shaffer BTW

Last edited:

Katsura

A conspiracy isn't a counterpoint. Netflix might commission shows but the actual production companies make them and cast them. This idea that there is some agenda coming down from up high just doesn't hold upto scrutiny when you look at other Netflix produced Dramas like the Crown, The Last Kingdom, Dark, 1983 etc.
Conspiracy? What the fuck are you talking about? You claimed they did it in order to appeal globally to which i replied how come they didn't race swap a lot of asians in it. You know, since asian markets are much bigger and there are more asians than black people. There is no conspiracy in that statement at all

Kadayi

Banned
Conspiracy? What the fuck are you talking about? You claimed they did it in order to appeal globally to which i replied how come they didn't race swap a lot of asians in it. You know, since asian markets are much bigger and there are more asians than black people. There is no conspiracy in that statement at all

Netflix biggest market is the US with Europe being their second. There is no Chinese Market down to government restrictions. I dare say if it was open we'd see more dramas aimed at that market though.

Netflix is a global firm (same as Amazon) , but that doesn't necessarily mean their demographic is.

Last edited:

Katsura

Netflix biggest market is the US with Europe being their second. There is no Chinese Market down to government restrictions. I dare say if it was open we'd see more Dramas aimed at that market though.
And black people are a small minority in europe. They make up around 13% in the US. Besides, there are still all the other asian countries which i'm betting is far bigger than africa. Again, using global appeal as an excuse does not make any sense at all. They'd have to be horrible at researching the demographics if that was the case

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This timeline is pretty fucking ace:

Worth a look if the time jumps are giving you grief.
Edit: Does seem to contain spoilers if you've not watched the appropriate episode.
what is all this map stuff? so much info, someone should make this TV series into a book or something, it would also make a great video game

Shmunter

This review popped up on my youtube. Very funny and I enjoyed it, probably because it’s totally in line with my synopsis Trigger warning : does mention the forced diversity. Spolier warning: does contain spoilers

Kadayi

Banned
And black people are a small minority in europe. They make up around 13% in the US. Besides, there are still all the other asian countries which i'm betting is far bigger than africa. Again, using global appeal as an excuse does not make any sense at all. They'd have to be horrible at researching the demographics if that was the case

Given you claim that Anna Shaffer is Black how can you be sure?

Also I'm failing to see how all of these statements you're making somehow means no blacks allowed on what is a fantasy show.

Katsura

Also I'm failing to see how all of these statements you're making somehow means no blacks allowed on what is a fantasy show.
Because of a little thing called statistical data. You know, facts. Also, nice straw man. No one said black people aren't allowed in fantasy shows. This is specifically about race swapping black people for white people. You made a claim that it's because of global appeal. A claim i disproved. So what then is the excuse if it's not forced diversity?

Last edited:

Shmunter

You see Willy Wonky and the Chocolate factory, others see a fantasy in a land derived off Europe. The sooner some come to terms with this simple disparity, the sooner the endless debate can end.

How some can deny a European setting is a mystery to me, but hey nobody’s perfect.

Just finished it a few days ago. Overall, I'm mostly just happy that this series is officially mainstream and popular. I only wish Netflix would stop being cheap and hire a talented showrunner + writers instead of recruiting fresh gender studies grads who work for woke points and edibles.

Katsura

This review popped up on my youtube. Very funny and I enjoyed it, probably because it’s totally in line with my synopsis Trigger warning : does mention the forced diversity. Spolier warning: does contain spoilers

I rarely sub to movie reviewers but i think i have to do so in this case. That's a hilarious review

Renozokii

You see Willy Wonky and the Chocolate factory, others see a fantasy in a land derived off Europe. The sooner some come to terms with this simple disparity, the sooner the endless debate can end.

How some can deny a European setting is a mystery to me, but hey nobody’s perfect.

I literally don't see anybody denying it's influenced by Europe. The question is, why does a fictional world loosely inspired by a period in Europe, have to abide by the population demographics of Europe of that time?

Renozokii

No, i never implied that. Perhaps you should learn how to read. I said that movie was a disaster. Oh and you still have not addressed my counter to your moronic claim that it's just because they're trying to appeal globally. Either do that or piss off. You're by far the most intellectually dishonest person in this thread. You make wild claims and accusations based on nothing but your own projections, then when countered you try to pretend it never happened or post reddit tier pics

Imagine saying all this while ignoring a link to the actress playing Triss being, in fact, white. Hilarious.

Renozokii

Another wall of nonsense. I didn't debate you. That would have required you made valid points which you haven't so far. You jump into the thread calling people racist. To expect anyone would engage you honestly after that makes you a moron. Go take a look in the mirror and reflect on how you've acted in this thread and you just might realise why people don't give a shit about your nonsense

Another wall of nonsense.

Then I ask you kindly to point out what is nonsense and why friendo

I didn't debate you.

debate
verb
debated; debating
Definition of debate (Entry 2 of 2)
transitive verb
1a: to argue about

the subject was hotly debated

That would have required you made valid points which you haven't so far.

You know, I believe it was actually you who earlier said something along the lines of, repeating something over and over doesn't make it true.

You jump into the thread calling people racist.

You can hide behind excuses and wordy loads of horse shit literally all you want, at the end of the day you are on an internet forum legitimately upset over the inclusion of black people in a tv show. I asked why. You provided nothing. You made shit up. You claimed it was disrespectful to a group of people you don't belong to or speak for. Provided 0 evidence they feel that way. You threw out the authors own opinion on the matter. If what you are arguing at it's core, is against the black actors and actresses in the show, and you have yet to provide a single link or bit of evidence that that aside from some losers on the internet, it has actually offended or upset anyone else, especially those that are closely relevant, what do you think you are doing here?

To expect anyone would engage you honestly after that makes you a moron.

You are still doing plenty of engaging, you just dropped pretending that you had anything legitimate to say, and are now just spending your time writing posts dismissing everything I've said in different ways, pretending I've offended you despite the fact that you yourself had no issue throwing labels around.

Go take a look in the mirror and reflect on how you've acted in this thread and you just might realise why people don't give a shit about your nonsense

I mean you and a couple others clearly do give a shit, you just lack any kind of ability to make a legitimate argument and have yet to back up a single claim. So you do what people tend to when they lose, refuse to answer anything announcing endlessly that you won, and repeatedly trying to demean me as some kind of idiot to make it truly clear why you have nothing more to say. I'm sure your next post to this, if you bother, won't actually address anything said here, and will be a generic dismissal that could have apply to nearly any other post.

Renozokii

For the same reason you don’t see rickshaws, gorillas in the mist, lions fucking in the desert or Starbucks.

The desert and starbucks are real places that do exist. The world of The Witcher does not exist. Are you getting confused? You all really do enjoy giving loosely related examples over actually answering what your logic is regarding this this situation.

Last edited:

Renozokii

Is the show more than 13% black total?

Renozokii

People wanting all this equality and picking out where certain races are not represented IS fucking racism, you are wasting your time with these people mate. Victim speak is the way of the world nowadays, if everything isnt represented in equal measure someone is oppressed somewhere. It's pathetic and I am really not sure what these fuckers will do when something serious happens in their life.

People realizing that minorities were extremely under represented in media coming from a country that supposedly prides itself on diversity and immigrants, and supporting both with their wallets and what ever other infleuce they have better representation= racism, defined as prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Thats fantastic. You all keep tying.

Renozokii

Why do you keep quoting me? You lost your chance of a proper debate the moment you entered the thread and kept throwing the racist label around

I don't care if you reply. You can keep giving the same generic responses. I'll just gladly keep pointing out the massive leaps in logic or reality you have to make to pretend you are in the right.

Katsura

I don't care if you reply. You can keep giving the same generic responses. I'll just gladly keep pointing out the massive leaps in logic or reality you have to make to pretend you are in the right.
Oh that's fine. Anyone with an above double digit IQ and a basic knowledge of logic can easily read how pointless and irrelevant your ramblings are. Carry on

and-fringilla-vigo-dejected-sad-and-pale-with-a-truly-67329952.png

Last edited:

Renozokii

Oh that's fine. Anyone with an above double digit IQ and a basic knowledge of logic can easily read how pointless and irrelevant your ramblings are. Carry on

and-fringilla-vigo-dejected-sad-and-pale-with-a-truly-67329952.png

Could you maybe point me in the direction of someone that can better explain them-self then?

Top Bottom