• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher (Netflix)

Kamina

Golden Boy
I just watched the 2 first episodes. I suppose this is developed more towards people who don't play the games, since Yennefer here is deformed and weak, ciri is also weak.

Still it kept me entertained. I will watch the whole series.
Both still need to develop. Its the beginning of Yen as a witch, and Ciri is still just a child here.

Renozokii

A fictional place modeled after a fantastical mythical medieval europe.

And? I'm failing to understand why being loosely modeled after a place means you have to abide by that time period and locations demographics?

Furthermore, why is race the line you draw? Of all limitations, why race? There weren't mutants, dragons, orcs, and sorcerers either. The geography is all wrong for Europe, how dare the author change it if his world is so clearly just Europe? The names used don't really match up to that time period. The military strategies, the weaponry, the plants, all wrong. The architecture isn't one to one with Europe. Why is it that you draw the line with people?

Grinchy

Banned
I mean, the twist of "omg Yennefer is actually hot and powerful" or that she is going to meet geralt once she is powerful, so her story is clearly a flashback, is kinda lost if you've played the games.
I guess if you already know the timeline, it's not really supposed to be a twist at all? It's just starting with her as a 14 year old and showing how she becomes who she becomes.

I barely played the games and never read the books, so I knew she would change in some way, but I never felt like it was supposed to be some kind of twist.

Last edited:

Klayzer

And? I'm failing to understand why being loosely modeled after a place means you have to abide by that time period and locations demographics?

Furthermore, why is race the line you draw? Of all limitations, why race? There weren't mutants, dragons, orcs, and sorcerers either. The geography is all wrong for Europe, how dare the author change it if his world is so clearly just Europe? The names used don't really match up to that time period. The military strategies, the weaponry, the plants, all wrong. The architecture isn't one to one with Europe. Why is it that you draw the line with people?
OMG! That was perfect response. Totally shut his/her ass down with plain logic. Dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and elves ok. Black people playing some roles equals, not authentic medieval Europe. Absolutely hilarious.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I can’t tell if I’m happy that Henry Cavill is awesome at what he does, and gives mediocre productions like this and Superman Returns redeeming points, or sad that his talent always ends up wasted on things that don’t deserve it.

Reactions: Fuz

Dontero

Banned
The books don’t say much about skin color, and the person who wrote the books has more to do with the show, than any other Witcher media out there.

Yes they say about skin color and there are plenty of descriptions like in case of tea and vea if they are outiers from "normal".

The side characters in The Witcher are not defined by their skin color in a fantasy world, where you are just as likely to see a Golden Dragon or a mutated elf.

They are not but they also represent ethnicities of that world. They aren't just some hollywood refuges from whole word but most o those people are local. The problem here isn't that there are black people or white. The problem here is that ethnicity of kingdoms are fucked up with this mix. Either do it 100 black or white but don't mix.

Litearlly Geralt is shunned by common people just because he looks a bit different. Different shade of freaking white.
I guess ethinicity is nothing to you but for most of people outside of US it is important factor.

Conversely imagine the Black Panther movie having absolutely no white people in it. That would be ridiculous, and that’s what you are asking for here.

No it wouldn't be. As long as it stick to material in hand. From what i know Black Panther is about african kingdom no ? So no reason for white people there.

And this is pretty telling to me.

In a world with mutant people, hedgehog kings, witches, portals, time travel, swamp monsters, Dragons, Elfs, magic, and any other fantasy element you can think of, your hang up on the believability of the show is the skin color of the human characters and their canon racism or lack there of.

That’s crazy to me. Here I am wondering how the hell a person can teleport across time and space, and your wondering how a black guy got in the palace.

Ah the old "this is fantasy you know" argument. Ok then why people don't have blue skin color, 4 eyes why elves and humans instead of Zorks and Blobs ? Why kingdoms instead of communism ? And instead of story about guy with sword how about story about tree growing in woods ?

All fantasy is based on reality because it represent themes and subject that are relatable and logical to viewer. If you have medivil setting either you have ethnicities or you risk your fantasy kindom being not logical or idiotic or simply bad writting.

Here you have extreame racism toward one another when even elves are divided into 2 different types who will kill each other timae and time again despite having same skin color. And you want me to believe that humans would just get along ? That is why it is bad writing. You might like it, i don't and it seems like there are plenty more people who don't like it.

not an apt comparison for a multitude of reasons. Number one being, the black panthers skin color is intrinsically tied to who the character is and why the character exists.

No he isn't tied to his skin color. Remember ? Fantasy comic shit or something you argue ?

Seems the guy that created The Witcher, thinks it’s pretty good.

Dude would say anything as long as he gets money for booze. I don't care what sapkowski thinks. I care about books themselves.

Here is why. They completely changed meaning and actions of characters. Like case of EP1 which fucked up that amazing story, each episode is like that and the more show runners write original stuff the worse it is. This is not witcher. This is wutcher or wother or some other fake shit:

Last edited:
OMG! That was perfect response. Totally shut his/her ass down with plain logic. Dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and elves ok. Black people playing some roles equals, not authentic medieval Europe. Absolutely hilarious.
Like our myths and fairy tales are not part of our european culture and identity. pfff.

Looking forward to the movie versions of the Mahabharata or Mulan with white dudes in there playing major roles.
Oh, no, then it's whitewashing. I forgot.

You guys are wasting your time arguing with recently banned Reetards who signed up just to throw around their "y'alls".

Let's get back to arguing about important things: Who else thinks CDPR should replace Geralt and Dandelion's character models with their TV show counterparts?

Dontero

Banned
They most annoying here is that Netflix has Mikkelsen in some shitty show. He would be perfect for Geralt.
Netflix Dandelion was actually pretty great. It was better than what CDPR did with Dandelion especially in TW3.

mads-mikkelsen-wiedzmin.jpg

Last edited:
No he isn't tied to his skin color. Remember ? Fantasy comic shit or something you argue ?
With Asgard and its inhabitants it's fantasy comic shit off course.
But with the Black Panther it's black culture, and you don't mess with that... :messenger_moon:

Imagine the outroar if you had the same ethnic diversity mix in Wakanda as they had in Asgard...

Last edited:

Shmunter

They most annoying here is that Netflix has Mikkelsen in some shitty show. He would be perfect for Geralt.
Netflix Dandelion was actually pretty great. It was better than what CDPR did with Dandelion especially in TW3.

mads-mikkelsen-wiedzmin.jpg

Mikkelsen would have been ideal. Gruff, tough, no nonsense

DaMonsta

Yes they say about skin color and there are plenty of descriptions like in case of tea and vea if they are outiers from "normal".
again the books don’t make a fuss about skin color either way. A few characters get descriptions, most don’t.
They are not but they also represent ethnicities of that world. They aren't just some hollywood refuges from whole word but most o those people are local. The problem here isn't that there are black people or white. The problem here is that ethnicity of kingdoms are fucked up with this mix. Either do it 100 black or white but don't mix.
We can mix hedgehogs with humans, but don’t you dare mix skin color or it makes it “unrealistic”

Litearlly Geralt is shunned by common people just because he looks a bit different. Different shade of freaking white.
I guess ethinicity is nothing to you but for most of people outside of US it is important factor.
He is shunned because he is a mutant killing machine with supposedly no emotion. Has nothing to do with skin color.

The world of the Witcher is made up. Seems people in the world of the Witcher aren’t Racist like you want them to be.

No it wouldn't be. As long as it stick to material in hand. From what i know Black Panther is about african kingdom no ? So no reason for white people there.
Black Panthers exploits are set around the world, therefore other races exist. The Witcher is set on what’s supposed to be a large continent with all types of cultures, species, history, etc. It makes senses that there would be non-white people in the world.

Ah the old "this is fantasy you know" argument. Ok then why people don't have blue skin color, 4 eyes why elves and humans instead of Zorks and Blobs ? Why kingdoms instead of communism ? And instead of story about guy with sword how about story about tree growing in woods ?
umm most of this is in the books, and even some crazier shit.

All fantasy is based on reality because it represent themes and subject that are relatable and logical to viewer. If you have medivil setting either you have ethnicities or you risk your fantasy kindom being not logical or idiotic or simply bad writting.
Right cause people like you just can’t imagine a world where people aren’t racist. That’s your hang up. That’s what makes it bad writing and illogical. Not all the crazy shit going on. Humans can see a shit monster and not bat an eye, but no way they’d see a black dude and just be ok with it.

That’s you projecting your own feelings on these fantasy characters. Everyone isn’t racist.

Here you have extreame racism toward one another when even elves are divided into 2 different types who will kill each other timae and time again despite having same skin color. And you want me to believe that humans would just get along ? That is why it is bad writing. You might like it, i don't and it seems like there are plenty more people who don't like it.
In the World of the Witcher the prejudice and hate is based on species. The author was very deliberate in making it about species and not skin color.

It’s crazy to me that you can watch a fantasy show and be disappointed at the lack of racism

yes, his identity is his skin color, his story is based on race relations in modern America. The original writer of Black Panther wanted the story to be about race. Changing the race of The Black Panther would change his story profusely.

Conversly, the Writer if the Witcher did not make skin color a big deal, and changing the skin color of one of the support characters does absolutely nothing to change the story.

Dude would say anything as long as he gets money for booze. I don't care what sapkowski thinks. I care about books themselves.

Here is why. They completely changed meaning and actions of characters. Like case of EP1 which fucked up that amazing story, each episode is like that and the more show runners write original stuff the worse it is. This is not witcher. This is wutcher or wother or some other fake shit:

Dont care about what the author of the books says, he’s a drunk and, you need your racism.

Fuck outa here. You racist fuck.

Im done listening to your racistsplaining. Continue your crusade against the world not being racist enough for your liking. The world will continue to leave you behind.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
again the books don’t make a fuss about skin color either way. A few characters get descriptions, most don’t.

They do make a fuss which you keep ignoring. Book events take place in norther kingdoms not in zerrikania. Looking at show you would think that it was Zerrikania or kingdom neighboring it. Just so you know Zerrikania is so far away from northern kingdoms that people don't know where it exactly is other than some travelers like Bort with Tea and Vea.

We can mix hedgehogs with humans, but don’t you dare mix skin color or it makes it “unrealistic”

Yeah and litearlly they wanted to kill mentioned hedgehog for looking different. Which is ironic. Like i said the problem here is that kingdoms do not represent ethnicity. I would be perfectly fine if they would make everyone black. But don't mix because it needs explanation why some people are white or black.

Again you can argue as much as you want about "this is fantasy" but we are talking here about book adaptation. In books norther realms were consisting on white people, Nilfgard again beign white. So the only racist here that harping about race is you because you defend their changes to books lore for no fucking reason. This is US produced show it is not like it is African show where they would lack white people and had to cast black Geralt etc.

He is shunned because he is a mutant killing machine with supposedly no emotion. Has nothing to do with skin color.
The world of the Witcher is made up. Seems people in the world of the Witcher aren’t Racist like you want them to be.

Yeah and how they exactly know he is witcher when he goes into bar ? By CDPR two swords nonsense ? Geralt was especially known for being pale white with almost milk white hair which is why people called him freak. Same with his eyes. His job title just added to that.

People in witcher lore rape and kill people just for their ears being just slightly longer and you here argue skin color has nothing to do here. Ofcorze it didn't because all of people in books outside of few were white. Can't have racism if all are white. What then ensues is ethnicity fights. Which is completely lost to you. Because for your racism is everything there is. You are probably the same type of person who believes only black people were slaves in US and doesn't realize that most of white people at the time were SERFS which is kinder word for slave.

Black Panthers exploits are set around the world, therefore other races exist. The Witcher is set on what’s supposed to be a large continent with all types of cultures, species, history, etc. It makes senses that there would be non-white people in the world.

And they exist in Witcher lore. They are just not part of books events which is why again i am explaining it to you.
I would be equally critical if they made Tea and Vea white.

Right cause people like you just can’t imagine a world where people aren’t racist. That’s your hang up. That’s what makes it bad writing and illogical. Not all the crazy shit going on. Humans can see a shit monster and not bat an eye, but no way they’d see a black dude and just be ok with it.

That’s you projecting your own feelings on these fantasy characters. Everyone isn’t racist.

Dude what have you been reading ? Are you sure you read The Witcher or maybe some fairly tale ? Witcher world is EXTREMELY racist. Not only to actual races but also to other people. They murder and rape each other for just slightly longer ears or that they don't believe in same god and you here argue that aren't racist.

In the World of the Witcher the prejudice and hate is based on species. The author was very deliberate in making it about species and not skin color. It’s crazy to me that you can watch a fantasy show and be disappointed at the lack of racism.

Again you are using netflix garbage adaptation to explain lack of us version racism (which is another retard wut). There was no racism between humans because humans were in closed of racially monolithic kingdoms. There were no black people in northern kingdom so there was no point to be racist against someone who you never even seen.
Litearally in Golden Dragon story Tea and Vea are singled out for being "different" and they butchered that dude.

Maybe you should drop US version of racism and look at it from xenophobia perspective because i feel like you have some personal issues or something. It makes 0 sense to use US racism and compare it to Witcher lore racism.

I start to think you don't understand what ethnicity mean.

yes, his identity is his skin color, his story is based on race relations in modern America. The original writer of Black Panther wanted the story to be about race. Changing the race of The Black Panther would change his story profusely.

Who cares. It is fantasy shit no ? It doesn't matter. Also Black Panther will be about communism.

Conversly, the Writer if the Witcher did not make skin color a big deal, and changing the skin color of one of the support characters does absolutely nothing to change the story.

It does change when Tea and Vea are introduced and you are supposed to see them different as travelers from foreign lands. And in show you feel nothing because northern realms are apparently modern US. The whole lore aspect of Zerrikania was completely fucked by that. Because there is effectively no difference between zerrikania and norther realms now other than them believing in dragons.

Secondly again. You want to argue against book lore here. It is you that you have to explain why it is good change not me who defends books here and original intention of writer when he wrote that.

Dont care about what the author of the books says, he’s a drunk and, you need your racism.
Fuck outa here. You racist fuck.

said racist.

And yeah Sapkowski has long history of sucking dick to get money as fast as possible because he doesn't care about games or movies or shows at all. He just wants money to do his stuff.

Im done listening to your racistsplaining. Continue your crusade against the world not being racist enough for your liking. The world will continue to leave you behind.

Maybe you should pick some books and lore that has black characters in it and enjoy that instead of defending showrunners that butchered source material.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

daveonezero

Banned
This series is weird. Its well done but you have to pay attention to every line and know every characters names. I've had to read explanations for the first few episodes already. The time line is just strange. Its good but weird.

Grinchy

Banned
This series is weird. Its well done but you have to pay attention to every line and know every characters names. I've had to read explanations for the first few episodes already. The time line is just strange. Its good but weird.
Subtitles help a lot. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have caught the timeline hints and a lot of character names and locations.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Subtitles help a lot. If it weren't for the, I wouldn't have caught the timeline hints and a lot of character names and locations.
yeah I usually do subtitles. Might have to on this one. There are lots of interacting things that the characters reference that you sort of have to catch.

I feel like they did the time portrayal pretty well. I could tell when they jumped say in Yennifers trailing or going back and forth between Ciri and Geralt. But the last one, I watch with the ball, threw me off a little. Just really made clear that they were going back and forwards.

JayK47

Loving this Netflix series. Up until now nothing on Netflix was that great to me. Guess I am stuck with it now.

Kind of crazy how we got to this point. I loved the first game and thought the second game was too short, but still ok. Then the 3rd game came out and blows me away and now the game and books are so popular we have a great Netflix series. Never thought this would have happened as I was enjoying the first game and the first book. Thought for sure I was the only goofball enjoying that shit.

gela94

I'm not sure what to think of the series sometimes it looks cheap like the monsters look halloween costume like or Geralts eyes they looks so clearly fake. Also the timeline is sometimes confusing or I don't get the sense that decades have passed. I still have 3 episodes to go.

DonF

ngl yennefer's actress in the series is kinda disappointing. I dont mean to say she is ugly, but the game yennefer and book description is that she is known for her beauty, and series yennefer is just... ok.

They really fucked with triss though .

Ornlu

Banned
The show was ok; the constant scene/timeline/scene/timeline jumping all over the place takes you out of the story too much to really get into.

Top Bottom