• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness not coming to Switch (at this time)

Jonathan Blow confirmed on Twitter that The Witness is not being developed for the Switch at the moment.

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/880526365518319617

Response to whether it's worth holding out for a Switch version of The Witness:
Jonathan Blow said:
We are not working on such a port at this time.

Thought this was threadworthy, considering the developer and title. When asked about a Wii U version a few years ago, he seemed to imply it was a power issue so perhaps that is the case here. I figured that most indie devs would be interested in the Switch, though I don't intend for this to facilitate any sort of port begging so lock if I'm breaking the rules.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Not surprising. It's a year and a half old at this point. Most people already consumed it on PS4/XBOX/PC

Ivan 3414

I'm curious if there is a game that wouldn't be a great fit for switch?

It's unfortunate if it annoys you, but considering the perception of Nintendo consoles not having third party support and Nintendo fans not being having any desire to play any game not developed by Nintendo, I think it's important that fans pester third parties to show that the interest for their games is there.

It's unfortunate if it annoys you, but considering the perception of Nintendo consoles not having third party support I think it's important that fans pester third parties to show that the interest for their games is there.

It doesn't annoy me, It's just curious. Like, when people say "this game would fit great on switch!", does that just mean in that it's a good game, and that every good game would be a great fit on every platform ever?

Online shooters, and games that need a ton of horsepower.

Other than that, no. I think people who say "this game would be great on Switch" want the convenience of a portable that can be docked. There are very few indie games that I wouldn't prefer on Switch, for instance...actually waiting on Owlboy even though I could get it cheaper on Steam right now.

That being said, The Witness would be coming to Switch far too late for many people to care, so I understand not bringing it over.

goldenpp72

The Witness to continue to be unpurchased by me (mostly because they said they were gonna do a physical release and have not, but still)

DJwest

It doesn't annoy me, It's just curious. Like, when people say "this game would fit great on switch!", does that just mean in that it's a good game, and that every good game would be a great fit on every platform ever?
For the Switch, yep. Every game ever would be a great fit according to GAF.

essenn

It doesn't annoy me

usure.png

Cathcart

Yeah fuck that game. Got stuck on one puzzle for hours, found out it's because I'm colorblind and didn't realize the blue and purple dots were two different colors. I'm yelling at the screen like this puzzle is broken and then my friend is like just split up the blue and purple ones. God damn it.

Blow is currently developing his own language to be used in place of c++. This will most likely take precedent to any creations in the near future.

Although he probably still has people in his employ, the engine The Witness runs on is home made, and originally intended for PC and next gen consoles. Just seems like a shitton of work to port to what is essentially android. Wouldn't expect it for a while even if it was announced.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Overwatch? Nah, I dunno. I would have thought an always online game like Overwatch wouldn't work, but Rocket League and Jackbox exist, so whatever. I still wouldn't want the game to be visually compromised though. I don't know that it's in any way graphically intensive, but still.

Mael

Blow is currently developing his own language to be used in place of c++. This will most likely take precedent to any creations in the near future.

Although he probably still has people in his employ, the engine The Witness runs on is home made, and originally intended for PC and next gen consoles. Just seems like a shitton of work to port to what is essentially android. Wouldn't expect it for a while even if it was announced.

Isn't that more to freebsd actually?
Kinda seems like reinventing the wheel for making what is essentially just a puzzle game.
Why exactly is a language like c++ or the myriad of other languages not enough to make games?
Let alone the existing off the shelf engines.

there already is an android version for shield tv. isn't that almost the same hardware as the switch?

Alphahawk

New drinking game: take a drink anytime anyone uses the phrase "___ would be a great fit for Switch" non-ironically.

Don't do this you may die of alcohol poisoning..

Mael

No? That's not how that works.

He's making his own code for his own games. He's not forcing it on others or anything.

For shit & giggles?
You do realize you never actually answered the question?
It's ok to say you do not know.

Fat4all

Banned
For shit & giggles?

He started out in gaming as a programmer and always wanted to write his own language so him (and his team) could make games on it more efficiently.

He worked on C++ for a long time and wasn't the biggest fan of it.

It's actually not uncommon for programmers to make their own code languages in their own personal works.

You do realize you never actually answered the question?
It's ok to say you do not know.

You keep editing questions into your post after I've already seen them.

Just like right now.

Top Bottom