• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness PC performance thread

tuxfool

Banned
Good news (maybe).

They just pushed a build that restricts Dx11 to feature 11.0 on AMD cards.

I got working shadows on the 290.

epmode

Man, the default controller sensitivity is waaayyy too slow. Is there any way to change it?

edit: Holy shit, my framerate dropped to the teens as soon as I got by the first multipuzzle tutorial gate. It's bad enough to stop playing and it only happens when I look in certain directions. Feels like a bug. My system should be able to handle this without a problem.

edit edit: Dropping my refresh rate to 60 (from 144) fixed it. Vsync is enabled in-game.

Wok

Has anyone figured out what use defaults means compared to high etc.?

Nope. Only got high/medium/low.

:/render/high
low_res_reflections false
shadow_quality 2
sun_shadow_resolution 1024
point_shadow_resolution 1024
antialias_panel_rendering true
skip_mipmaps 0
msaa_sample_count 4
panel_render_width 512
render_width 1920
render_height 1080
dynamic_resolution false

:/render/medium
low_res_reflections true
shadow_quality 1
sun_shadow_resolution 512
point_shadow_resolution 512
antialias_panel_rendering false
skip_mipmaps 1
msaa_sample_count 2
panel_render_width 512
render_width 1280
render_height 720
dynamic_resolution false

:/render/low
low_res_reflections true
shadow_quality 0
sun_shadow_resolution 256
point_shadow_resolution 256
antialias_panel_rendering false
skip_mipmaps 2
msaa_sample_count 1
panel_render_width 512
render_width 1280
render_height 720
dynamic_resolution true

viveks86

Nice with some options! Shadow_quality 3 crashed the game for me with a Titan X btw.

Yep. Seems like shadows are already maxed out. Kinda bummed. Everything looks stunning in this game, except the shadows.

EDIT:

One can hope...

tweet3csxh.png

Brashnir

Anyone getting micro stutter when panning the camera at certain areas?

Yes. Constantly, and it makes me ill every time I play for more than 10 minutes. FRAPS reports 120fps, but I get regular hitches 3-4 times a second, seemingly in a constant rhythm.

It's awful.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Did anyone who bought from the Humble store and is running Windows 10 have any issues running the game? I can't even get it to open, I get literally a spinning wheel for one second and then nothing. I've tried running both executables from the Program folder as well

telasoman

Did anyone who bought from the Humble store and is running Windows 10 have any issues running the game? I can't even get it to open, I get literally a spinning wheel for one second and then nothing. I've tried running both executables from the Program folder as well

Ive had that issue with some steam games on Windows 10. Mostly with Orcs Must Die.

I believe I narrowed it down to a Directx issue, but I was never able to confirm that.

I went back to Win 7 after I hit game number 3 giving me that issue, and all 3 worked perfectly on 7.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Will do. I know that 4K can be neatly divided by 1080p (that's probably a dumb way to say it) but if I have to pick a smaller resolution, does that resolution's mathematical relationship to 1080p have a substantial impact on the result? Or should I just try 1440p next because that's a standard resolution I keep hearing about? Sorry I'm clueless about this!

1440p -> 1080p DSR is a night-and-day difference from native 1080p, at least on my displays from my viewing distances.
There were some PS4 Lego games that only rendered an extra 200 vertical pixels and no extra horizontal resolution and even those saw a surprisingly large IQ boost over the first Lego game on the platform that was native 1080p.

Zacillac

Neo Member
I can confirm that running the game at 60hz definitely fixed the stuttering I was having in-game. Damn this game looks good at 3440x1440!

EDIT: Playing around with settings, I think v-sync is the real enemy here. Turned that off and put my refresh rate back up to 100hz and I'm getting the same, if not better, performance.

There's a new note from the developers in the Steam forums saying not to edit shadow quality.

And here I am in one of the most shadow-intensive areas in the game...

Afro

I can confirm that running the game at 60hz definitely fixed the stuttering I was having in-game. Damn this game looks good at 3440x1440!

EDIT: Playing around with settings, I think v-sync is the real enemy here. Turned that off and put my refresh rate back up to 100hz and I'm getting the same, if not better, performance.

Which v-sync, in-game or via Nvidia Control?

Jedi2016

Still, the game looks pretty good at 1440p. I've had dips as low as the 50s, and upwards of 150 in some areas. In-game v-sync is off, G-sync seems to be doing its thing just fine.

epmode

Yeah, I was about to say: Make sure in-game vsync is off if you're using G-Sync. I read someone recommending the opposite either in this thread or the OT which goes against common G-Sync procedures but I tried it out anyway.

I can confirm that enabling vsync with G-Sync is a bad idea in The Witness. I was seeing my FPS drop to ~15 when I turned towards certain areas of the island. With in-game vsync disabled, no problems at all.

GavinUK86

Anyone know why the in-game resolution is stuck at 1080p even though I'm changing the resolution in the Local file? And I've tried added adding the target line too and nothing.

viveks86

No, they took shadow_quality entirely out of the information they provided. They don't want you to set it manually at all now.

I know. Because changing it above 2 will crash the game. So there is no real point in changing it, since the other values are already part of the presets (0,1,2). Might as well not expose it.

Anyone know why the in-game resolution is stuck at 1080p even though I'm changing the resolution in the Local file? And I've tried added adding the target line too and nothing.

Might want to provide more info, since it works for others. What resolution are you trying to set and what does your monitor support? Are you trying to downsample? Etc..

jett

D-Member
Seven years in development.

Didn't fucking think of implementing triple buffering. Nope, just hard vsync, where a single framedrop makes you tumble down all the way to 30fps, and if you disable in-game vsync, you get horrific frame pacing issues. Good job there.

Anyway, it mostly runs at 60fps on my 280X at 1080p, framerate drops when looking at a huge vista.

GavinUK86

Might want to provide more info, since it works for others. What resolution are you trying to set and what does your monitor support? Are you trying to downsample? Etc..

Trying to downsample from 4K, or from anything for that matter, on a 1080p screen that usually supports it.

epmode

Seven years in development.

Didn't fucking think of implementing triple buffering. Nope, just hard vsync, where a single framedrop makes you tumble down all the way to 30fps, and if you disable in-game vsync, you get horrific frame pacing issues. Good job there.

Lots of games ignore triple buffering, unfortunately. You can often get around it by forcing a game into borderless windowed mode since Windows itself will force triple buffering.

Run the game in windowed mode and use this: https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases

Blizzard

Banned
Lots of games ignore triple buffering, unfortunately. You can often get around it by forcing a game into borderless windowed mode since Windows itself will force triple buffering.

Run the game in windowed mode and use this: https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases
Just a note, Windows will only do this if Aero is enabled. If you have disabled Aero (for lower virtual reality latency in Windows 7, for example), Windows will not do triple buffering, and you will get tearing in non-true-exclusive fullscreen applications.

An annoying example is Firefox -- I get tearing even playing YouTube fullscreen.

ShaunBRS

Are you sure it's not working? It's the internal rendering resolution mind you, so Steam overlay will still be native.

viveks86

Is anyone able to force vsync through the driver and disable in-game? Seems like the only vsync available is in-game and NVCP settings make no difference!

UnrealEck

Someone click on 'post reply' at the bottom of this page, open your variables file, ctrl+a, then ctrl+c, then go back here and ctrl+v into the big message box thank you please.

GavinUK86

Have you tried changing your desktop resolution to 4K and then playing the game? What happens then?

I'll try.

Are you sure it's not working? It's the internal rendering resolution mind you, so Steam overlay will still be native.

Oh is it? I was judging via Fraps with the size of the FPS counter and taking screenshots that were still coming out in 1080p. Maybe it is working after all then. I'll have to compare 2 shots at different resolutions. Thanks.

update: yeah, the resolution changes were working, I just didn't know it was an internal change.

maybe I need to ask this in this thread and not the other

gtx 660 1 gig
i5 2500k
more than enough ram...

pc or ps4?

or rather, will i be able to get the same or a better exp on my pc than if i were to get it on ps4?

if so i will prob go the humble bundle route

baconcow

I walked all over a large portion of the island, including a high up area with a good view. Other than small loading blips, only one area caused a noticeable framerate drop into the low 50's (V-sync on). It was near a tree looking towards the first set of multiple puzzle tutorials (see image, below). I looked into my hardware monitor and noticed that SLI was not working properly, using upwards of 98% of my one card and maximum of 28% of my other. I set the SLI method to alternate frame rendering 2 and my framerate literally doubled (check it with V-sync off, both scnarios). I was able to use almost all of my GPU (nVidia 690) and get framerates in the hundreds. The catch; continuous flickering; quite bad. Buttery smooth, though.

Does anyone know a solution to this (without turning off SLI)? It would be nice to utilize my full 690 GTX and avoid any slowdown.

Here is a picture of the area where the initial framerate drop occurs (continuously) before SLI AFR2. I believe it may be a glitch of some sort. The slowdown only occurs when looking in that direction and goes away when next to the tree. Looking up and down also seems to reduce the issue. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the tree, so I do not understand why the continuous large drop in frames. Image (spoiler? early game)

Eferim

maybe I need to ask this in this thread and not the other

gtx 660 1 gig
i5 2500k
more than enough ram...

pc or ps4?

or rather, will i be able to get the same or a better exp on my pc than if i were to get it on ps4?

if so i will prob go the humble bundle route

Someone on the steam forums said they were getting 60 fps at high settings with a 660 with the caveat that they experienced drops here and there.

Top Bottom