• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness PC performance thread

Was running this on a 970, frame rate was fine but nothing I tried would fix the stuttering. It was so frustrating that I just gave up, had it refunded and bought it on PS4. Looks almost as good (I was running it on a 1080p TV on PC) and no god damn stuttering.

Sigh. Hopefully now I can actually enjoy the game. I just could not stand the stutter.

Vertti

I always force vsync nvidia control panel but it was a stuttery mess.

Well using the vsync from the game itself and RTSS for limiting the fps to 60 helped enormously.

tesqui

Had real bad fps hitches that dropped to single digits. Once I changed the "skip_mipmaps" to "1" it appears to have completely fixed it. I wonder if it had to do with only having 2 gb of Vram. (GTX 670)

ViviOggi

You could also simply have used RTSS.
RTSS does nothing about the microstutter in this case though. Neither did any combination of in-game/control panel VSync, RTSS or D3DOverrider fix it for me.

If it really is a Win10 issue somehow I'd imagine they'll patch it soon.

baconcow

Before the patch, the game ran good with a few exceptions (near those locations I posted about, before). SLI didn't work. Now, the game stutters continuously with or without SLI and V-sync. I tried using RTSS with V-sync off and the framerate limited to 60 fps. It was horrible. Maybe I'll get it on PS4.

Phreak47

I had the audio issue and read about disabling 7.1. Turns out for me, I was trying to use my Logitech G930s which wouldn't work at all (I assume because they are locked onto a 7.1 config). Fortunately I found a solution... start the game with my regular speakers enabled, then plug in the G930 dongle after the game (and sound) starts. The sound then pipes into the headset.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
If i set my :/render/high i get a crash on launch. If i just leave :/render i get no problem (as i imagine that i'm using the default render settings.

I'm trying to use the exact config as Impulsor.

:/render/high
low_res_reflections false
sun_shadow_resolution 2048
point_shadow_resolution 2048
antialias_panel_rendering true
skip_mipmaps 0
msaa_sample_count 8
aa_mode 2
panel_render_width 2048
render_width 3440
render_height 1440
dynamic_resolution false

These settings= GLORIOUS

it generally runs very well on my 980M laptop on high and with vsync on, but i sometimes get bizarre diagonal tearing when close to puzzles — never seen an effect like this before. anyone else?

Wok

Got a 999MB patch an hour ago. Stutter-fest.

Patch Notifications
I figured I'd make a pinned thread to post in every time I upload a patch. Newest patches are at the top. For now new patches are being tested on the 'future' beta branch, so opt into that if you want to test fixes + updates. When things seem stable we will roll them into the default branch.

1 February 2016 11:30am:
Moved the 'future' branch to 'default', so now everyone should get the updates listed below.
Next we will be adding new stuff to 'future'.

30 January 2016 4:15pm:
Added Hungarian language support.
Display a warning when the game fails to save your progress.

30 January 2016 10:55am: Experimental Anti-Motion-Sickness Update #1
Wider FOV.
Completely disabled view bob.
Faster acceleration when walking / running.

30 January 2016 10:05am: Just pushed to beta 'future':
We now save your last-selected options in the launcher.
Fixed an incorrect edge in one of the panels at the top of the Keep belltower.
Fixed a mistake in the English subtitles.
Fixed savegame thumbnails being ugly if you are on low graphics settings and dynamic resolution kicks in.
Fixed some lightmap mistakes.
Added support for 16x MSAA and high-quality 4x resolve.
Added some more render_settings variables.
Fixed hairline cracks in the entry tunnel.
Removed a few extra unnecessary files.
Fixed that one of the jungle panels was sometimes blocked by leaves.
Fixed a minor cosmetic texture-repeat bug on one of the panels.
Added a missing [REDACTED] for a [REDACTED].

29 January 2016 7:00pm: Because we had some issues when making the previous patch, I have made a 'future' beta and made that patch live there. We are going to update this future branch later tonight.

28 January 2016 7:20pm: Improve asset streaming at low frame rates (reduces occurrences of low-res geometry for people at lower frame rates). Log more information for Radeon cards so we can try and debug more effectively. REVERTED at 8:09pm due to reported problems, will try again tomorrow.

28 January 2016 4:49pm: Fixed a coloring bug in one of the puzzle panels (it was solvable but a little bit confusing if you did certain kinds of incorrect solutions).

28 January 2016 3:10pm: Fixed a problem where the game would not launch (not even any launcher box visible) on Windows 7 with no service pack. (Most Windows 7 users did not see this since they are on at least Service Pack 1).

Reference: SPUF.

Blizzard

Banned
And, it's back:

Steam forum said:
1 February 2016, 3:57pm:
Reverted 'default' back to an older branch because many Intel graphics drivers seem to crash.
We didn't change anything that major in the game itself, so we don't know why these crashes are triggering now.
Graphics drivers are the worst thing in the world.
We can't really update the game until this gets fixed, so this pretty much sucks.
We are in contact with Intel about the situation.

Andrea23

And cluster_detail 256

Goodbye distant tree popup!

You can crank it up to 512 but I didn't see any visual difference (though performance dropped quite a bit)

Sadly my performance suffer a drop of 20%, also on 256 : (. So i leave it at default (128).

My final setup:

panel_render_width 2048
grass_fade_begin 256
grass_fade_end 512
render_width 3200
render_height 1800
lod_distance 512
detail_fade_begin 256
detail_fade_end 512

I've capped @72hz on afterburner (that is my absolute minimum framerate with the above parameters).

5820k@4.3 | 980ti 1450/7600

BraXzy

So has anyone found a way/has Blow mentioned anything about controller sensitivity on PC? It's not the end of the world but it's super slow.

BraXzy

Do you know about speeding up the right stick with RT / R2?

Does that work with movement as well as on panels?

Also, my reflections seem to have been downgraded somehow, they are super funky at a distance and up close they aren't great. Low Res Reflections is set to false so not sure what's up there.

jett

D-Member
Do you know about speeding up the right stick with RT / R2?

Wow I've played this game for 40 hours and did not know that LOL.

Does that work with movement as well as on panels?

Also, my reflections seem to have been downgraded somehow, they are super funky at a distance and up close they aren't great. Low Res Reflections is set to false so not sure what's up there.

One way to increase the speed of your lines is to activate the panels from farther away.

Blizzard

Banned
Guys, just get a steam controller instead

:p
I thought I might have hand cramps from holding down left shift for 30+ hours, but I've been okay on a keyboard. I did wonder, does a Steam controller let you bind stuff like shift+W,so you could toggle permament run? I wish the game had a run toggle but it would be a nice compromise.

viveks86

I thought I might have hand cramps from holding down left shift for 30+ hours, but I've been okay on a keyboard. I did wonder, does a Steam controller let you bind stuff like shift+W,so you could toggle permament run? I wish the game had a run toggle but it would be a nice compromise.

Yep. The better approach is to map an outer ring binding on the left trackpad to the shift key. So you can simulate analog joystick movement (walking) on the track pad and trigger running as soon as you move your thumb past the outer ring. I literally play the whole game with 2 thumbs.

Wok

So has anyone found a way/has Blow mentioned anything about controller sensitivity on PC? It's not the end of the world but it's super slow.

Yay.

4 February 2016, 1:45pm: Pushed the 12:20pm patch to 'default' so everyone gets it.

4 February 2016, 12:20pm: Posted to the 'future' beta:
**** AMD R9 fix ****
We changed the depth format for shadow maps from D16 to D24, which seems to fix the big R9 crashes we have been suffering from all week.
Added Invert X Axis to the options menu.
Added FOV slider to the options menu.
Added gamepad sensitivity to the options menu (if gamepad is plugged in).

Blizzard

Banned
Yay, all my posts to Naysayer paid off! This set of patch notes is posted as a community announcement. It's not the normal "product updates" category, but you can at least view all news and see the patch notes, so I don't have to go to the forum anymore.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
jaypah said:
Obviously there are people who have problems with it and folks who don't.
In large-sample tests I've seen - traditional FPS locomotion in VR can negatively affect 90%+ of people. Mind you there are some relatively easy changes that improve this number quite a bit - but it also brings it a considerable distance away from expectations you have when playing a standard FPS.
But the point is that minority is people who are unaffected, not the other way around.

And comfort is only part of the story - locomotion has an impact on presence as well. I haven't seen much research on this yet, but it looks like lowering presence can do wonders to improve motion tolerance, but you're defeating the whole purpose of wearing a thing on your head when doing so.

Afro

The fix for my G-Sync stutter was laughably simple and I feel like a complete idiot. I was overthinking it all along.

Nvidia Control Panel sets G-Sync to full screen only by default for some reason. I set it to Full Screen + Windowed and the stutter seems to be 100% gone after a quick 10-minute test sprinting across the island. Can't believe I overlooked that for weeks. This is why the framerate was going over 144 w/ v-sync unchecked in the launcher when I thought g-sync was actually enabled (it was, but not for Windowed).

(this is w/ the in-game v-sync unchecked + fullscreen checked)

tZOS8.gif

I recommended this game to a friend, and he bought it, even though he doesnt have graphics card right now (his old one, a GTX 570 "burned").

So, we are trying to run the game, on the lowest settings as possible, as he really likes the puzzles.

We tried editing the data file, but we couldnt do anything, since after that the game doesnt even load.

On low, he can actually play, but every time he goes near the water (right in the beginning) his PC completely freezes. We think it might have something to do with the ocean and reflections.

So, can somebody try to help us and edit the local file for us?

His specs: it-3570K @ 3.4GHz, 8GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Afro

Tonight's patch seemed to clean up the occasional hitches, which is great. However, I'm getting a ton of pop-in (trees, grass, etc.) Any fix for the LOD?

Also, there's now an advanced graphics options menu. Question: if I use the 'High' preset, are all the advanced options on "high" be default, or do I have to set each of them manually? They're blank by default.

Tonight's patch seemed to clean up the occasional hitches, which is great. However, I'm getting a ton of pop-in (trees, grass, etc.) Any fix for the LOD?

Also, there's now an advanced graphics options menu. Question: if I use the 'High' preset, are all the advanced options on "high" be default, or do I have to set each of them manually? They're blank by default.

I see that everything is set to low/medium/high when I pick one of those settings. It's a bit tricky because "default" was working best for me before, but it's gone now.

Also, can you still edit the config file for the LOD? http://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/3/458607699616103145/

Afro

I see that everything is set to low/medium/high when I pick one of those settings. It's a bit tricky because "default" was working best for me before, but it's gone now.

Also, can you still edit the config file for the LOD? http://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/3/458607699616103145/

Thanks for the link. Few questions!

• If I'm getting crazy grass/tree pop-in, should l edit both grass_fade_begin and lod_distance?
• Are there ideal values I should be using?
• Do I just open the /data/Local.variables file, and add this at the bottom?

grass_fade_begin "number"
lod_distance "number"​

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

• If I'm getting crazy grass/tree pop-in, should l edit both grass_fade_begin and lod_distance?

lod_distance "number"​

I honestly haven't tried editing any settings that weren't suggested by the developers in the instructions here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/3/458606877334931773/ That includes the LOD settings. Still, I assume it should work the same as these instructions.

I think, with the "undocumented" settings, we just have to experiment.

Afro

Solved the issue.

The main preset in the launcher was set to 'High' so I just assumed all the advanced graphics options would be set to high also, so I left them blank. I had to manually set them all to high too. Problem solved.

Jelle

lod_distance "number"​

No, you edit the existing :/render/high entry.

Here's my Local.variables that runs the game great (GTX980):

Code:
render_width 2560
render_height 1600
screen_width 1920
screen_height 1200
shadow_quality 2
sun_shadow_resolution 1024
point_shadow_resolution 1024
allow_non_essential_spot_lights true
panel_mipmaps true
grass_detail 1.0
grass_fade_begin 256
grass_fade_end 512
mipmap_filter_quality 5
skip_mipmaps 0
aa_mode 2
msaa_sample_count 4
msaa_coverage false
cluster_distance 128
lod_distance 64
detail_fade_end 96
cull_threshold 0.0
water_lod_scale 0.5
foam_buffer_size_divisor_w 2
foam_buffer_size_divisor_h 2
do_foam_buffer true
do_foam_decals true
eppps_scale 2.0
shader_quality 2
particle_quality 2
dynamic_resolution false
panel_render_width 1024
panel_fade_begin 30.0
panel_fade_end 50.0
detail_fade_begin 48

If you copy this, you'll probably want to adjust the render and screen entries from the beginning.

bes.gen

No, you edit the existing :/render/high entry.

Here's my Local.variables that runs the game great (GTX980):

Code:
render_width 2560
render_height 1600
screen_width 1920
screen_height 1200
shadow_quality 2
sun_shadow_resolution 1024
point_shadow_resolution 1024
allow_non_essential_spot_lights true
panel_mipmaps true
grass_detail 1.0
grass_fade_begin 256
grass_fade_end 512
mipmap_filter_quality 5
skip_mipmaps 0
aa_mode 2
msaa_sample_count 4
msaa_coverage false
cluster_distance 128
lod_distance 64
detail_fade_end 96
cull_threshold 0.0
water_lod_scale 0.5
foam_buffer_size_divisor_w 2
foam_buffer_size_divisor_h 2
do_foam_buffer true
do_foam_decals true
eppps_scale 2.0
shader_quality 2
particle_quality 2
dynamic_resolution false
panel_render_width 1024
panel_fade_begin 30.0
panel_fade_end 50.0
detail_fade_begin 48

If you copy this, you'll probably want to adjust the render and screen entries from the beginning.

thanks for this. runs great with a 970 also.

btw. i had a refund on pc and switched to ps4 before because of stutter.
repurchased again yesterday.
(partly because its really cheap on my part of the world and i wanted to support)

anyway non frequent stutter was still there even with the patches, but it is completely gone after i installed latest sound drivers (realtek)
its ps4 levels fluid now.

just another advice for people experiencing stutter.

Finally a patch that fixes most of the critical bugs:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/210970/announcements/detail/841419471343163953
Changes:

* Switched default vsync mode to 0 on Nvidia and AMD now that their drivers seem to be fixed; this should eliminate microstutter for many people who had it.

* Fixed crackling audio that happened on some AMD processors.

* Added translations into many languages for the menu options added in the previous update.

* Increased frequency of automatic backup save games.

* Minor gameplay tweaks to several puzzles.

* Bugfix: Prevent the player from being able to fall off the boat in a particular location.

* Bugfix: Fix bug where boat path could become corrupt in save games.

* Bugfix: Prevent the player from outrunning the streaming.

* Bugfix: Several minor audio fixes.
* Bugfix: Several collision fixes.
* Bugfix: Many minor art fixes.
The crackling sound made the game unplayable on my FX-8350.

Top Bottom