• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
thewitnesssysreqs7mjq8.jpg

thewitnesssysreqs_macatkpj.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Run the game in a borderless window: Use the aptly-named Borderless Gaming program. See here for a usage guide.
Note: You can purchase the program on Steam for USD$4 or your regional equivalent if you're feeling charitable.
Let there be sound (1): Disable any third-party audio management software, such as MSI's Nahimic. (Credit to Corpekata.)
Let there be sound (2): The game doesn't support 7.1 audio configurations; use something lower. (Credit to Alcoholikaust.)
Tweak various graphics settings (1): See Invisibl's post here. (Credit to Thekla itself via Alcoholikaust.)
Tweak various graphics settings (2): See Wok's post here. (Credit to Wok.)
Enable VR mode: Append -vr to the launch options/target line field (see "Set a custom/>1080p resolution" for instructions on how to access the launch options/target line). (Credit to Tain.)
Note: VR mode is, as you might expect, very demanding; a slightly customised low settings configuration is recommended for a 970 and GPUs of similar power. (Credit to Durante.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:
thewitnessgfxsettingsgddj8.jpg

thewitnessgfxsettingsacf3n.jpg

Multisampling: Disabled; 2x MSAA; 4x MSAA; 8x MSAA
Shading quality: Low; Medium; High
Reflection quality: Low; Medium; High
Texture filter quality: Low; Medium; High
Texture detail: Low; Medium; High
Geometry detail: Low; Medium; High

Corpekata

Banned
Just to be clear with the sound things, it fixed for me and one other poster on the steam forums so far, might not be a fix for all.

That program I had, Nahamic, causes loads of issues, like crashing Darkest Dungeon, so I finally just said screw it and uninstalled it, when I usually just manually closed it.

For some reason I thought this was a PS4 exclusive. Pretty happy it's not, though, as I'm sure it will be amazing material for the PC screenshots thread.

ss_lemonade

Just to be clear with the sound things, it fixed for me and one other poster on the steam forums so far, might not be a fix for all.

That program I had, Nahamic, causes loads of issues, like crashing Darkest Dungeon, so I finally just said screw it and uninstalled it, when I usually just manually closed it.

Nahimic seems to cause all sorts of other issues in Windows. Another problem I noticed in an unrelated application is it sort of breaks the UI for Unity (the game engine) for some reason, making Unity have text and windows drawing on top of one another.

Corpekata

Banned
Hope someone digs around and find advance shadow options because some of them are terrible, especially for the player character and trees.

Jeremy

I bought this on PSN because someone over at GameFAQs thought this game was multiplayer and I didn't do proper research. Is the difference in graphics vast?

CloudWolf

This is super odd. On medium the game frequently crashes to desktop, but on high it doesn't. It's a shame because my laptop cant run the game at 60 FPS on high. My poor GeForce GT 750M can't handle it. Oh well, I'm not too bothered by the sub 60 FPS performance.

Did Jonathan Blow forgot anything? Its a bit strange that we have to unlock the 4k resolution with some console-lines, but when he uploaded stuff of the game like trailers, the screenshots trailers, he uploaded them in 4k.

viveks86

Did Jonathan Blow forgot anything? Its a bit strange that we have to unlock the 4k resolution with some console-lines, but when he uploaded stuff of the game like trailers, the screenshots trailers, he uploaded them in 4k.

If you have a 4K display, it runs at 4K by default. Worked out of the box for me. The settings change is needed if you need it to run at a resolution different from your screen resolution

If you have a 4K display, it runs at 4K by default. Worked out of the box for me. The settings change is needed if you need it to run at a resolution different from your screen resolution

Oh. Thats cool. Thanks for the info.

I think he should still add an optionn for players who like to change it.

MUnited83

For you.

I don't think that's what people reported though. At the very least if you use a 21:9 resolution that is.

JaseC

I bought this on PSN because someone over at GameFAQs thought this game was multiplayer and I didn't do proper research. Is the difference in graphics vast?

The PS4 version has a lower draw distance, as you'd expect, but other than that I believe the two are virtually identical.

The PS4 version has a lower draw distance, as you'd expect, but other than that I believe the two are virtually identical.

The PC-version will/has support for VR HMDs.

Edit: I have to say Jonathan Blow is pretty active. Good dev. Would recommend again.

I'm interested to see how it runs on integrated graphics. I'lll mostly play on my desktop but it would be nice to have it on the go with my laptop.

That graphics menu is straight out of a fucking Koei-Tecmo port.

Not really lol. KT ports at least allow to change resolution, framerate, draw distance, texture quality, models quality and such lol. Really, the main problem of KT ports is lack of arbitrary resolution and being based on PS4 versions.

JaseC

Just read in a Steam review that there's no FOV option. FYI for those that get motion sickness like me :/

Blow may look into allowing FoV adjustments. It's probably tricky because the game was designed with the set FoV in mind.

Blizzard

Banned
Just read in a Steam review that there's no FOV option. FYI for those that get motion sickness like me :/
Make sure that you tweet @Jonathan_Blow about it. He already replied to me and one of my Steam friends who were asking about a mouse toggle, so he will at least become aware of things like that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'd like to try downsampling this game. I have a 970 and 1080p display. Can someone recommend an ideal internal resolution setting? I just upgraded my GPU so I'm new to downsampling. Thanks!

Blizzard

Banned
I'm getting screen tearing on a GTX 770 2GB after alt-tabbing. I'm not using Windows Aero so I don't have the desktop vsync -- so I'm guessing the game has switched into some sort of not-true-exclusive fullscreen mode.

*edit* If this happens, go to the settings menu and turn fullscreen off and back on. It seems to fix it.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd like to try downsampling this game. I have a 970 and 1080p display. Can someone recommend an ideal internal resolution setting? I just upgraded my GPU so I'm new to downsampling. Thanks!

If 4k doesn't work out well try the one in the OP, it's 1440p and should run well if 4k is too taxing.

Jaagen

Like I said in the OT, I wonder how well it runs on the Surface Pro 4. The HD graphics 520 is more powerfull than the minimum spec, after all.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just try 4k (that is, 3840x2160) and see if it runs acceptably.
Will do. I know that 4K can be neatly divided by 1080p (that's probably a dumb way to say it) but if I have to pick a smaller resolution, does that resolution's mathematical relationship to 1080p have a substantial impact on the result? Or should I just try 1440p next because that's a standard resolution I keep hearing about? Sorry I'm clueless about this!

If 4k doesn't work out well try the one in the OP, it's 1440p and should run well if 4k is too taxing.
Oh saw this too late. Thanks!

Top Bottom