• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

Cyberia

A lot of people have been asking about the price, so: The price of the game on both Steam and PSN will be $39.99 / €36.99 / £29.99.

Pre-orders:
A lot of people have been asking about preorders too. Preorders will go live on Steam and the Humble Store (and on this web site) today at noon PST. Unfortunately we won’t have preorders on PSN, because apparently developers have to set those up months in advance and we didn’t know that!

The preorders are regular price! They contain an amazing bonus pack-in: the warm fuzzy feeling that you have pre-ordered the game. (And that’s all). So it’s exactly the same as buying the game at launch, except earlier.

http://the-witness.net/news/2016/01/price-and-pre-orders/

Modedit: some context regarding the price:

There’s a lot here. When we started making this game, I figured it would have between 8 and 12 hours of playtime. As it happens, the game we’ve finally built is around 10 times as big as that: if you are a completionist who wants to wring every last drop out of the game, you might expect to play for 80 hours, or possibly 100. For people who don’t want to go quite that far, the game’s still got plenty for you.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/09/17/the-witness-launches-on-ps4-january-26-2016/

Dawg

rd3aDw5r4LJU53dw.png

Tizoc

Well game has been in development for some time.
Question is if its content will be worth the EUR 40 price.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Not buying for that price.

Ridley327

I was expecting this with how many puzzles are packed into the game, and I'm pretty sure that The Talos Principle is also $40. Still, I imagine a lot of people are going to have sticker shock.

Menome

Okay, my very tight budget for the coming month just got blown up. I was expecting $19.99-$24.99. I honestly don't know if I can justify it at that price.

Chobel

Unfortunately we won’t have preorders on PSN, because apparently developers have to set those up months in advance and we didn’t know that!

What a fucking joke! Get your shit together Sony, this shouldn't have been an issue at all.

Rosur

£10 more than I was expecting... Though good to see Steam version is launching at the same time so might pick it up on Steam.

kadotsu

Banned
If you want mid tier development back you have to be prepared to pay fair prices. Just like Talos Principle this is a day 1 for me.

I believe this is a 30 or 40 hour game? Like, it's really, really long. And I believe a lot longer if you go for 100%.

$40 is gonna' scare off a lot of folks but not me. I can't wait.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit!!!

Last gen, XBLA/PSN games were normally $10 or $15. This gen, they went up to $15 or $20 and now $40??? Are you fucking kidding me???

No thanks.

entremet

I guess I'm part of the problem. I expected 20 bucks.

Is it getting a physical version?

I'll still get it. I love Blow's work.

GhaleonEB

This is supposed to be a 50+ hour game right?
~100, going from recent previews.

Edit:

In addition to confirming the release date, Blow shed some light on how long the game will take you to complete. He tells GameSpot that most people will need about 20-25 hours to beat the game's 667 puzzles. However, completionists could spend closer to 100 hours before they're done, he said.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4pc-the-witness-release-date-announced-average-p/1100-6430658/

The only comparable game is Talos Principle, another expansive indie first-person puzzler, priced at $40

Why were people expecting this to be any different?

DeviantBoi

Want it, but gonna wait.

Destiny pretty much changed my habit of pre-ordering.

I'm so balls-deep in Destiny that I don't know if any game can ever pull me out. Dragon Age didn't. Witcher 3 didn't. Fallout 4 didn't.

Maybe Uncharted?

I DUNNO ANYMORE!

EthanC

Banned
What a fucking joke! Get your shit together Sony, this shouldn't have been an issue at all.

I'm not going to blame Sony for something Blow should have known. Much like his complaints about stuff on XBLA years ago, it's him and not the service at fault.

Top Bottom