• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness - Release Date Trailer, coming 26th January 2016

PolishQ

Maybe I have no idea what you do in this game but atleast from the videos I have seen it looks like the most strange and boring thing to get excited about. I am guessing I have that wrong an it has something more than just moving lines around a board and walking tot he next one.

But, really... I have no idea what you do in this game. Can someone explain why it got the reaction and excitement it has (being honest and sincere) Maybe I just havent understood it yet. Does anyone know what the game is really about or is it just something else

See post 1227 above.

Maybe I have no idea what you do in this game but atleast from the videos I have seen it looks like the most strange and boring thing to get excited about. I am guessing I have that wrong an it has something more than just moving lines around a board and walking tot he next one.

But, really... I have no idea what you do in this game. Can someone explain why it got the reaction and excitement it has (being honest and sincere) Maybe I just havent understood it yet. Does anyone know what the game is really about or is it just something else

For me, I just love puzzle games. The idea of exploring a huge island with hidden secrets, 600+ puzzles and a mysterious narrative to uncover excites me. I love the art style and trust the devs, who have been documenting the development for years. There is more than meets the eye with this game and the puzzles appear to be a lot more than "line drawings". To be honest I don't need to know more, I'm excited to discover it myself when I play and trust that I'll enjoy it.

Just sounds like my kind of game. Love The Talos Principle, Myst, Miasmata, Portal, Mind: Path to Thalamus etc. This seems to slide in to that genre and if the game matches with what has been shown and described already through the development and recent media, then it will definitely appeal to me.

Wok

For me, I just love puzzle games. The idea of exploring a huge island with hidden secrets, 600+ puzzles and a mysterious narrative to uncover excites me. I love the art style and trust the devs, who have been documenting the development for years. There is more than meets the eye with this game and the puzzles appear to be a lot more than "line drawings". To be honest I don't need to know more, I'm excited to discover it myself when I play and trust that I'll enjoy it.

Just sounds like my kind of game. Love The Talos Principle, Myst, Miasmata, Portal, Mind: Path to Thalamus etc. This seems to slide in to that genre and if the game matches with what has been shown and described already through the development and recent media, then it will definitely appeal to me.

Oh god, do not tell me you like Path to Thalamus! So boring!

Blow, I hope you made a Talos / Myst / Portal, but not a Thalamus!

As many said, don't think of the line puzzles as all you do. They're the starting mechanic, just like placing a portal in Portal, rewinding time in Braid, rotating the world in Fez... and then the whole game develops around it in continuous inventive ways, with an underlying mystery around it.

Well I like some puzzle games but the rotate this to unlocke this and what not aren't all for me. Depends on the exact nature of the puzzle. Could definitely love or hate it depending on how the puzzles, adventure and atmosphere ends up

Wish more games had demos

mattp

looks like brad @ giantbomb is playing the witness

@bradshoemaker 22m22 minutes ago
Finding a super duper secret thing in an unreleased game and wondering if anyone else has found it yet is a really odd kind of frustration.

Well I like some puzzle games but the rotate this to unlocke this and what not aren't all for me. Depends on the exact nature of the puzzle. Could definitely love or hate it depending on how the puzzles, adventure and atmosphere ends up

Wish more games had demos

From this very release trailer (something that's said to be really early in-game) you
are already shown different parts of the island have different puzzles, and even end up BEING the line in the maze in one of them.
Everything points towards things beginning to turn environmental pretty soon.

But I don't think the fear is exactly unfounded so take a look at the OT and some reviews later on, the important thing is just not to be reductive and think it's ONLY the panels with the grids.

TheJoRu

Been waiting for this game a long time, glad to see it's finally coming. Price is steep, but production values are really high, and there appears to be a lot of content in here. Interested in seeing how reviewers are finding the game.

Oh god, do not tell me you like Path to Thalamus! So boring!

Blow, I hope you made a Talos / Myst / Portal, but not a Thalamus!

Hahaha, yeah, definitely the most boring from the list but I did like some of the areas. Wasn't a fan of those invisible path finding puzzles at all!

Mifune

Mehmber
I've been playing The Swapper to get into the puzzley mood. It has taken me a little while but I refuse to look up any solutions. Fantastic game.

So I like "Myst Me?" as the OT subtitle, but somehow I feel like we need something that pokes fun of the controversy surrounding the line puzzles.

The Witness |OT| A Mystery outside the lines.

I dunno, I liked the 'Drawing Lines in the Sand' but then you miss the Myst component.
Myst Me is great too.

Haunted

Having true moments of inspiration (a-ha! eureka! etc) are the most difficult yet most rewarding elements to pull off in a cerebral videogame.

I was already annoyed that someone else pointed out something to me in the trailer which I would've surely figured out for myself when playing, so I'm out and won't listen to any podcasts or interviews or whatever. It can get lost in the hype marketing cycle of the industry, but going into an experience knowing less is often more.

See you on the other side, guys!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm pretty stoked for this game. It's a shame work has to get in the way. I'll wait for a few benchmarks and impressions before I buy but I expect it should be a solid purchase.

ekim

I only remember the trailer when it got announced for PS4 and I still have no idea what the game is really about. But I loved braid so I decided to preorder the game on Steam and go in blind.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I think we need to talk about this

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/690327260109283328

UMpdxvt.png

Actually kind of a relief that I can stop looking at publicity about this game for a while.

Edit: He tweets that he's not smart enough to have thought of this as a publicity stunt.

He can't have been reading all the forums that much, then.

Horns

I would buy it now if I could with the snow coming. Sounds like the perfect game to dive into when you're stuck inside for a few days.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm still worried about the sheer number of puzzles. I don't think the comparison to Myst will hold true at all. Myst has only a handful of sprawling and memorable puzzles. The sheer number of puzzles in The Witness seems to imply that they will feel largely forgettable.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting.

Top Bottom