• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolf Among Us 2 Will Be Understandable for People That Didn't Play the Original

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the latest issue of Edge magazine, Telltale CEO Jamie Ottilie discussed the long-awaited follow-up to the 2013 noir adventure The Wolf Among Us, based on Bill Willingham's Fables comics. Ottilie indicated that newcomers to the series would be able to "come in at this point and understand what's going on" despite the game following on from the first series.

"We strive to design our narratives so they can stand on their own," Ottilie said, though he hopes some new players might consider revisiting the first season before jumping in with its sequel. It shouldn't matter too much, though: "We think the opening of the first episode sets things up in such a way that the player understands how the characters got where they are now."

"The challenges with the old proprietary engine were well-known," Ottilie explained. "We wanted the speed, power, flexibility and art pipeline of Unreal. However, we still needed our proprietary tools for many aspects like enabling quick iteration and our choice-driven episodic gameplay, so we had to refresh those tools to sit atop and work with the new engine."

"There's something about building anticipation and allowing players to speculate what might happen next that is an important part of both good storytelling and Telltale games," Ottilie explained. "When done well, like some of the recent limited series we've seen on streaming channels these last few years, you can capture the collective imagination and a moment in culture."

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sometimes I feel like playing the original.

Then I remember the TellTale engine and would rather slam my head in my car door.

Top Bottom