• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wolfenstein games in hindsight, what are the consensus around these games?

Which one is the superior iteration of the new Wolfenstein games?

• Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014).

Votes: 122 66.7%
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (2015).

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (2017).

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • I don't like any of them.

Votes: 16 8.7%
  • I have never played any of them.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I actually liked Youngblood.

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Bragr

Banned
It's been 3 years since Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, and I still struggle to gather my thoughts on it.

While last year's Youngblood hurt the franchise and was generally shunned, Colossus, Old Blood & The New Order have plenty of praise.

The combat in the new Wolfenstein games confuses me though and feels like it's built up by contradictions. I feel like I should take my time and peak-and shoot-like a Call of Duty game, but I also find Run & Gun tactics to be successful and that the weapons are built for it. So at every junction where I come across enemies, I feel inclined to go berserk and go stealth at the same time, adding to that, the hit detection is so weak, you barely notice it when you are getting hit. The combat can be awesome and unique and frustrating and wrong all at the same time. It's not something I want to go back to, but I don't feel like I disliked it either, it's hard to make sense of.

That said, the production values and story presentation is very strong, and I generally like all the games. But I have a hard time placing them compared to other shooters.

Now that some years have gone by, how do you recall the Wolfenstein games?

43932wide.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I agree in the combat department, the shooting kinda feels like a blend of DOOM and Medal of Honor.

I loved The New Order. Got into the game without expecting much and got great gameplay and an almost Tarantino kind of storytelling. Old Blood was really nice too.

New Colossus tho... I had fun, but that game could have been much better in both writting and gameplay.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
New Order was a great first step in my eyes but New Colossus was not the sequel it should have been. The game play felt massively underwhelming to me. It just didnt feel great to play. I enjoyed the story overall but I have zero desire to go back and play on harder difficulties like I did with NO.

Youngblood had some neat ideas just wasn't executed correctly.

The Old Blood was neat little add on that I enjoyed more than NC but it lacked the story to hold it together for me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Series went in a good direction, I think they need to unhitch their wagon from the linear gameplay and we’ll see a new one in the next two years Game Pass exclusive.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Didn't play Youngblood (yet?) but I liked the rest a lot. Deftly balances both a fairly serious and completely schlocky b-movie tone at the same time. All of them play incredibly well on PC, couldn't comment on consoles.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I agree in the combat department, the shooting kinda feels like a blend of DOOM and Medal of Honor.

I loved The New Order. Got into the game without expecting much and got great gameplay and an almost Tarantino kind of storytelling. Old Blood was really nice too.

New Colossus tho... I had fun, but that game could have been much better in both writting and gameplay.
Yeah, same sentiments here as well. New Colossus leaned a little TOO hard into the whole grindhouse vibe they were going for. At the time before it's release, I was like, "Sure, grindhouse vibe, let's go!" But the overall vibe just felt too tongue in cheek. I know TNO had moments of humor, but it didn't feel like it was too much. TNC was overflowing with it to the point where it was like, "Y'all really leaned into this direction HARD."

But still worth checking out IMO.

Again, Youngblood isn't AWFUL, it just is the worst in that series IMO. It could've been a lot better without the new mechanics and adjustments they tried to introduce that just didn't feel like the belonged there in the first place. Not to mention the main protagonists were a bit too ridiculous as well IMO, lol.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I didn't like them. Far inferior to Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The only two good things about the new series are the first mission in New Order and final mission in Old Blood. Everything else is junk.

edit: thanks for the likes, guys. I didn't expect others to have the same opinion as me since the games are so beloved.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, same sentiments here as well. New Colossus leaned a little TOO hard into the whole grindhouse vibe they were going for. At the time before it's release, I was like, "Sure, grindhouse vibe, let's go!" But the overall vibe just felt too tongue in cheek. I know TNO had moments of humor, but it didn't feel like it was too much. TNC was overflowing with it to the point where it was like, "Y'all really leaned into this direction HARD."
100% agree, it was WAY too much. I wonder if those guys are doing something after Youngblood. Are they working on something? Because I would love a third nu-Wolfenstein main game that leans more towards the style of TNO.

I love The Old Blood more than the rest, because it's the most faithful take on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which was my previous favorite.

That said, the end boss was fking ridiculous and a total disappointment to me.
Holy shit, I just remembered I left that game in the final boss because it sucked ass. ^^u

MiguelItUp

100% agree, it was WAY too much. I wonder if those guys are doing something after Youngblood. Are they working on something? Because I would love a third nu-Wolfenstein main game that leans more towards the style of TNO.
Honestly I wonder the same. I would certainly love that as well! I'm just unsure considering Youngblood's reception wasn't the greatest compared to the other games, not sure how that VR game did either. So I wouldn't be surprised if they want to give the series a rest a bit.

The New Order and The Old Blood (uh, hot dog) were amazing.
The New Colossus had some frustrating parts in recards of it difficult spikes and the story was all over. Like some parts were super serious and just a second later someone is taking a shit (haha).

The New Orders' Ritva Tuomivaara was pretty racist caricature of Finnish women.
I KID I KID ! I AIN'T REE PEOPLE

Laptop1991

Out of the choices on the poll, Wolfenstein the New Order 2014, by a lot, but there is one even better in my opinion, Return to Castle Wolfenstein back in 2001, yeah it's old now, but playing that game at the time was a great experience, none of the games since have got near it for me. the newer games have got steadily worse.

Last edited:

Gold_Loot

The New Order was pretty great. The Old Blood was a fun little expansion.
the rest however.....

they tried way too hard to be ‘Guy Richie’ clever and hip complete with characters that made you want to kick puppies. Personally, I would rather get my genitalia caught in a grinder.

TNO: The shit. It was Wolfenstein all the way. I would put this on the same level than Doom 2016.
Old Blood: Had some memorable setpieces, but the forced stealth sections were absolute garbage.
TNC: Where everything started going downhill. While I generally liked it, and some of the ideas were good (A Nazi base in Venus? Fuck yes) the game had so many unnecessary mechanics. And not only that, but everything started taking a certain propaganda undertone that I couldn't ignore.
Wolfblood: I haven't played this one, but it had mixed-to-bad reviews. So it's likely gone broke after going woke. The usual stuff.

Buggy Loop

The new order was so fucking good, the combat was tight and difficulty level was perfect. They fucked it up in the new colossus, having almost no hit feedback and AI being fucking annoying. The new order’s story also was better IMO.

mr.dilya

Banned
New Order is definitely the best. It's pretty much the perfect story driven FPS action game. New Colossus was dope but I didn't like the characters - mainly the caricatured black panther woman with an Afro and and a Jewish baby daddy, and turning Anya into some super soldier felt forced and ridiculous. I also didn't like the breaks in action just to run around the convoluded and congested home base doing stupid little errands before shit turned up again.

Looking forward to the 3rd installment. I don't count youngblood which is garbage.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
New Order has basically two problems:
- the engine was in a weird stage at the time. Looked too early gen for a cross-gen title
- you need to press a button to pick simple itens

New Blood was nice, but doesn't work as the story goes. New Colossus follows the "bigger is better" formula, which isn't true. Youngblood tries too hard and becomes boring after a while

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I thought they looked good, but overall the story was uninteresting and the games were mediocre. I just don't think I care for this series.

Only really played The New Order & The Old Blood and thought they were great throwbacks, Probably give The New Colossus a try sometime with it being on PSnow. Youngblood hasn't really looked as enticing, even with the later inclusion of RTX, but I may try it for myself when it is cheap enough.

John2290

Loved New Order, could really get into Old blood but that was one me cause I was a trophy whore at the time and ruined my experience trying to go for one playthrough. Absolutely hated TNC but I'll give it one thing, it had some really cool moments and set pieces and I did finish it. Just a pity the game is a 5/10 when all is said and done. Young Blood is my worst game of the generation. It's mindblowing that something with such similar core gameplay can be absolutely screwed with small changes surrounding it and of course the story.

I'm still more of a fan of the games from the 7th gen that went balls to the wall and held nothing back, however I never finished any of them because of the open world focus.

New order was a great starting point for a reboot, really enjoyable 7/10 for me, rising to 8/10 with Old Blood, wich experimented a little with some other ideas, and if they'd taken the best of both, the next game would have been amazing.

New Colossus instead took the safest, most bland route possible, delivering a 6/10 experience for me, mostly feeling above average due solely to production values.

Young blood shat the bed with the two of the most unlikeable protagonists of any game I've ever played, insulting bad and farcicallt stupid plot and storytelling with woefully poor gameplay that felt like they lost 12 months of game development a month before going gold, so had to churn any old rubbish out in a panic to meet the deadline.

Everyone involved with Youngblood needs to be fired, then blacklisted from working in any form of media, and if the next game isn't at least up to New Order, the series should be canned for at least a decade.

Last edited:

Fbh

I never really liked the gameplay in these to be honest. To me it always felt a bit conflicting, on the one side I got the impression the game wanted me to feel like a dual shotgun wielding badass, but as the same time they make you pretty easy to kill and there's also some rather spongy enemies so most of my time with the game felt like I has hiding behind cover. In that sense I thought Doom did a much better job at putting you in the action and making you feel badass while still providing a good challenge.

I really liked the story and style in 1 though, it's what made me stick to the game.
New Colossus was just Meh all around.
And the newer Coop one always looked terrible.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014) 7/10

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (2015) 6/10

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (2017) 7/10

Wolfenstein: The Young Blood (2019) 4/10

Main entries are good but nothing beyond that.

Last edited:

Arimer

New Order was the best by far. Wolf 2 had a good story but the changed gameplay elements didn't suit me. I don't want stealth in a wolfenstein game. Old blood I odn't even remember. And Currently playing through Young blood on windows game pass and say its about average. The storyline hasn't been that strong. The sisters are kind of annoying. But the gameplay is alright.

GymWolf

Not really played the old ones but i love the last 2 games and i can't wait for the grand finale.
I just love the characters and wacky story, and the serious scenes are better than anything inside tlou saga.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Downloaded the sequel on GP, the first thing you have to do is shoot a dog and suffer from white guilt.
Like fuck off and deleted it right away.

Hugare

New Order was by far the best one

But even then, it really wasn't that good to play. Narrative elevated the game for me.

Game design didnt support "run and gun" gameplay very much, so it was awkwardly stilted for a game of that nature, where you had to pay attention to your health and look for healthpacks all the time.

Seems like they wanted it to be like Doom 2016 in terms of gameplay, but they didnt have the talent to get there

New Colossus was terrible. The interesting narrative that elevated the first game wasn't there anymore.

Gameplay was even worse

Sound mixing in all of these games are terrible. Like, the worst that I've ever seen in any game.

wipeout364

I felt like New colossus tightened up the gameplay but was a complete failure narratively and overall was not good for the series. Youngblood is not great in any aspect.

nkarafo

I only played TNC and i remember being blown away by the detailed graphics, especially in the submarine hub. I also liked the feeling of the movement and the weapons & shooting were great.

However, i disliked the arena shooter level design in some areas, the unlikable characters (the nazis were more likable, lol) and the stupid story that couldn't keep a consistent tone.

A solid 7/10 IMO since i don't care about the story.

larkwaffle

I enjoy The Old Blood the most. Most likely because it has the most “classic” Wolfenstein feel to me. I enjoy the mechanics and art style in all the games, but the story is so unbearably melodramatic. The tone is all over the place.

zaanan

Banned
I love The Old Blood more than the rest, because it's the most faithful take on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which was my previous favorite.

That said, the end boss was fking ridiculous and a total disappointment to me.
This. I loved New Order - it was the return to old-school that I didn’t know I needed - but Old Blood sweetened the pot with the occult stuff. And I am not normally a fan of stealth sections, but I had a lot of fun with them in this game, almost like a puzzle. Agree on the end boss, what a pain.
I loved these games so much I platinumed them, and was 100% ready to pre order New Colossus, until they decided to get preachy. Just a complete waste of a strong start.

speedomodel

New Order came out of nowhere for me and was everything I ever wanted.

Old Blood was a lot of fun, but largely a DLC for me and forgettable.

New Colossus was a lot of fun, but had issues with difficulty spikes and confusing map design. Still an awesome game.

Still haven't played Young Blood. But I have it installed on console ready to go on Christmas break.

YuLY

Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014) has actually become my favorite FPS game. I was always into the francise, probably cause Return to Castle Wolfenstein was one of my first FPS games, but TNO is clearly the better game. Besides the awesome gunplay, I was really surprised by the atmosphere they created in that game, you really felt like you were in an alternative history dystopia and danger lurked around you.

For some reason after the Old Blood (a decent xpack, loved the stealth sections in the quaint german towns and then the twist), they decided to totally change the vibe of the game and it became this exagerated comedy, to the point where I refuse to play Youngblood after seeing vids and reviews on the net.

I really hope with the third mainline game they return to a more serious tone again and that we get to kill mecha Hitler.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The New Order and The Old Blood are great games throughout. The New Colossus looked great and had some amazing moments of insane spectacle, but the actual gameplay and level design took a huge drop in quality. It's also going to be completely irrelevant once Trump is out of office. I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

Camreezie

The New Order was a great game. The new colossus was good. Youngblood is terrible and probably a franchise killer

gypsygib

New Order, Old Blood, and New Colossus are some of the best FPS I've played. I actually prefer the series to Doom 2016 and Eternal. But Youngblood was terrible.

Top Bottom