• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonder Years Reboot Trailer

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I'm surprised they didn't modernize the setting. Like do something set in the 80s or 90s. Yeah, a complete rehash with a different race? I'm not watching that. But, I'll be honest, I wasn't ever going to watch it no matter what they did.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Woke ass bullshit.

More attacks against white race and culture.

tell me more under wraps GIF by Adult Swim

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I love the original, which I watched as kid. I wanted my childhood to be like Kevin’s, except it could never be. This show was one of those that hammered the point that I had to migrate to the USA if I wanted to achieve the life and goals I wanted to achieve. I am very grateful to the original creators.

No comments on this one though, since I don’t really have the patience for drama shows anymore.

Cravis

Is this gonna be a real look at the wonder years of an African American family living in America during that time period or is it gonna be a sugar coated fairy tale?

No, don’t answer that question. I already know the answer.

BigBooper

Looks like a decent schmaltzy family show. I appreciate Don Cheadle. The worst part by far is not using the Joe Cocker version of the theme song.

mortal

Gold Member
What's the point of even calling it the Wonder Years? Just call it something else since it holds virtually no resemble to the original.

Dr Bass

Woke ass bullshit.

More attacks against white race and culture.
Having a show centered around a black family is "woke"? Was the Cosby Show, the Jefferson's, Sanford and Son "woke"?

If you're going to reboot the series, this makes total sense. We already had a Wonder Years with a white male kid. Let's do a different take on the new show. Maybe in the future there could be a third series starring a girl. Oh the humanity!

Oh wait, that's exactly the kind of unifying theme that should allow someone of any race or background to still relate to the stories likely told in any of these shows.

Having a show centered around a black family is "woke"? Was the Cosby Show, the Jefferson's, Sanford and Son "woke"?

If you're going to reboot the series, this makes total sense. We already had a Wonder Years with a white male kid. Let's do a different take on the new show. Maybe in the future there could be a third series starring a girl. Oh the humanity!

Oh wait, that's exactly the kind of unifying theme that should allow someone of any race or background to still relate to the stories likely told in any of these shows.

Personally I don't care which race is in a reboot/remake/new show etc. Whatever fits well and is entertaining at the end of the day.

One food for thought thing though, how would it go down if The Jefferson's was rebooted today with an all white family/cast? While we're at it, why not an all Asian Cosby show, I hear Cosby has become the second most popular last name in China.

The trouble with changing race/theme etc is the jokes don't land the same. The Jefferson's doesn't work with a white family, likely the wonder years will be quite different to the original. For me it's not the "race" component but the familiarity to the OG. We'll see how it plays out.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I find it weird that this is still set in the 60s. Which would make the "present day" Kevin (or whatever the new character is named) like 70 or something. It would have made more sense to me to set it in the 80s or something.

fatty

If it is good, I will watch it, but from the short look at the trailer it doesn’t seem interesting. Admittedly, The Wonder Years was not a favorite of mine growing up but there were some good episodes. And who can forget Winnie Cooper?

I actually enjoy the culturally diverse shows more. Growing up in a very mixed family with White/Black/Mexican/Filipino all through out, it is easy to appreciate the different qualities. And some of those qualities are crazy and funny.

Some of my favorite coming of age sitcoms are:

Fresh Off The Boat

I have family members who act just like the mom in this show. Constance Wu nails the part, where as the show went on the writers made her more of centerpiece.

Everybody Hates Chris

I grew up in a neighborhood/school similar to this and the hilarious anecdotes Chris Tucker Rock brings up I can relate to. The way the dad is in finding ways to save money, I am like that with my kids and it annoys them. I don’t care.

While not ’diverse’, I also enjoyed Freaks and Geeks and The Goldbergs. Goldbergs has a lot of great nostalgia callbacks to things I also enjoyed back in the day.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I find it weird that this is still set in the 60s. Which would make the "present day" Kevin (or whatever the new character is named) like 70 or something. It would have made more sense to me to set it in the 80s or something.
😬 Ooh, I didn't know it was still supposed to be in the 60s. I thought the clothes looked pretty 80s. Ok, I take back my interest. I'm sure it'll mostly be focused on spreading the narrative of generational racism. Hopefully it's better than that.

Could be good, but knowing today's TV, it's gonna be full of on-the-nose political commentary. The original had plenty of political commentary of course, but it was skillfully intervowen with the characters and the narrative. We'll see.

MayauMiao

I don't see any issue with it as long as the character is different and not just a black Kevin Arnold.

I do wonder with today's CGI tech, they will actually have Kevin Arnold make a cameo.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I don't see any issue with it as long as the character is different and not just a black Kevin Arnold.

I do wonder with today's CGI tech, they will actually have Kevin Arnold make a cameo.
Huh i had no idea but going by wikipedia hes directing and producing the pilot.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
If it is good, I will watch it, but from the short look at the trailer it doesn’t seem interesting. Admittedly, The Wonder Years was not a favorite of mine growing up but there were some good episodes. And who can forget Winnie Cooper?

I actually enjoy the culturally diverse shows more. Growing up in a very mixed family with White/Black/Mexican/Filipino all through out, it is easy to appreciate the different qualities. And some of those qualities are crazy and funny.

Some of my favorite coming of age sitcoms are:

Fresh Off The Boat

I have family members who act just like the mom in this show. Constance Wu nails the part, where as the show went on the writers made her more of centerpiece.

Everybody Hates Chris

I grew up in a neighborhood/school similar to this and the hilarious anecdotes Chris Tucker brings up I can relate to. The way the dad is in finding ways to save money, I am like that with my kids and it annoys them. I don’t care.

While not ’diverse’, I also enjoyed Freaks and Geeks and The Goldbergs. Goldbergs has a lot of great nostalgia callbacks to things I also enjoyed back in the day.

don’t you mean Chris Rock?

TheMan

Yeah I thought the same thing basically. Maybe the 90s.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Of course having a show centered around a black family is not woke in and of itself. Most of us who grew up in the 90s or early 00s watched a lot of black family-focused sitcoms and enjoyed them.

I certainly would not want Family Matters, a show with similar "universal themes" to be rebooted except with a race swap. I think what people are calling 'woke' is that this is a reboot of an old and beloved piece of media, and these days, what gets changed in these reboots is becoming very, very predictable.

With that said, this trailer makes it look pretty good. I'm certainly wary of a ham-fisted agenda (for really any media produced in this day and age), but I like the period and think the setting could be very interesting. I'll definitely check out the pilot whenever it's released.

Excess

Important context: Married with Children was a show created by a black man to make fun of white trash. It's revenge for Amos and Andy. Woke already in its own way.
This isn't accurate. Moye, the man you're referring to, was a co-creator who helped create it with the intention of putting together a show that was a contrarian response to the more traditional family shows such as the Brady Bunch and The Cosby Show.

This kind of trend in anti-family family sitcoms became widely popular with shows such as Rosanne and even The Simpsons.

SF Kosmo

This isn't accurate. Moye, the man you're referring to, was a co-creator who helped create it with the intention of putting together a show that was a contrarian response to the more traditional family shows such as the Brady Bunch and The Cosby Show.

This kind of trend in anti-family family sitcoms became widely popular with shows such as Rosanne and even The Simpsons.
Your story and mine aren't mutually exclusive.

DeaDPo0L84

So they black washed one of the greatest TV shows ever to serve the woke crowd in 2021? Honestly why not just create a new show entirely while keeping the foundation the same? People would then go "oh wow this reminds me of that Wonder Years show".

Excess

You need me to prove to you that Married with Children is making fun of white trash?
You made the claim, now support it instead using conjecture, please.

Your claim:
Married with Children was a show created by a black man to make fun of white trash. It's revenge.

Sources that say otherwise:

He said the show was his and Moye's "adolescent rebellion against all those shows where everyone sat together at the dinner table and got along and talked and hugged and solved the world's problems in 22 minutes. I would go nuts seeing that. That wasn't my memory of what it was like to eat with my family." - SFGATE

”We started the show as a response to the wave of sitcoms with an idealized family — the kind with clean sweaters, clean teeth, and clean hair,” says Michael Moye, who created the show with then partner Ron Leavitt. - Entertainment Weekly

SF Kosmo

You made the claim, now support it instead using conjecture, please.

Your claim:

Sources that say otherwise:

He said the show was his and Moye's "adolescent rebellion against all those shows where everyone sat together at the dinner table and got along and talked and hugged and solved the world's problems in 22 minutes. I would go nuts seeing that. That wasn't my memory of what it was like to eat with my family." - SFGATE

”We started the show as a response to the wave of sitcoms with an idealized family — the kind with clean sweaters, clean teeth, and clean hair,” says Michael Moye, who created the show with then partner Ron Leavitt. - Entertainment Weekly
Okay, we're just getting into aspie literalism now.

It's a show made by a black guy to make fun of white trash, any way you slice it, and that context makes it subversive, in my opinion. Calling it "revenge for Amos and Andy" is my characterization not a fucking quote, dude.

Last edited:
Top Bottom