• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Japanese Website Opens (New Footage/Artwork/Details)

Maxrunner

S0CRbcU.jpg
Talk about the opposite side. One is a sequel, unoriginal gang themed game with a 5 in its title
The other has the number 101 in the title, its an original game and has cheerful characters. Do the math.

I really want to be excited for this game. Liked the viewtiful joe series, but I can't help but think the game play is similar to Pikmin, just not as interesting to me. I watched a lot of footage and it just seems like generic combat.

I'm not saying the combat in Pikmin is so deep system or anything.

JDSN

Banned
How dare you guys to imply this game will be a GOTY over other game that has not been released?

The day I buy this is the day I buy my WiiU, cant wait.

I really want to be excited for this game. Liked the viewtiful joe series, but I can't help but think the game play is similar to Pikmin..

I doubt you watched any amount of footage if this is the conclusion you are getting.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I really want to be excited for this game. Liked the viewtiful joe series, but I can't help but think the game play is similar to Pikmin, just not as interesting to me. I watched a lot of footage and it just seems like generic combat.

Honestly, you're not thinking much regarding this.

It's nothing like Pikmin.

Talk about the opposite side. One is a sequel, unoriginal gang themed game with a 5 in its title
The other has the number 101 in the title, its an original game and has cheerful characters. Do the math.

What is this comparison? I don't even. By this logic, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is the best game of all time. It's colorful and has 358/2 in the title, bro. GTAV isn't even gang themed.

And OMG @ the continued Pikmin comparison. I'm convinced anyone who says that after watching TW101 footage has never played Pikmin.

Game looks absolutely incredible. Haven't touched my Wii U since Zombi U (my only Wii U game so far) but this and Pikmin 3 will be the revival of my playtime with it and a good reason I have it :)

TDLink

Yeah, I am buying this game Day 1 even if I don't have the console to play it yet (waiting on a price drop).

JDSN

Banned
so you don't collect members for your team to have an army to take on enemies?

yea, sure, NOTHING like Pikmin. impossible to draw similarities between the two games.

According to that description it could also be like Starcraft, Grand Theft auto: San Andreas, Planescape Torment and Little King's story.

What is this comparison? I don't even. By this logic, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is the best game of all time. It's colorful and has 358/2 in the tile, bro. GTAV isn't even gang themed.

The concept of comparison was not brought up by him..Someone else, posted a pic of GTAV in an attempt to stir things up..

On topic, the game looks amazing!

Is it only me that I sense a hanging sentiment of bitterness in Kamiya's words, echoing his previous Twitter comments?

NotLiquid

yea, sure, NOTHING like Pikmin. impossible to draw similarities between the two games.

The only similarities the games have is the isometric free-movement angle and the main entourage being a crew of people. That's where the comparisons end.

Pikmin is a strategy game with micromanagement of your units, strategy and time limits. You're essentially controlling one person while all people following you are troops, with you having to pay attention to each one, assign tasks and keep out of danger.

The Wonderful 101 is a pure action game where all the characters on-screen control as one. Having a bunch of characters on screen is an aesthetic design choice, they're essentially one character that transform into weapons. There's no micromanagement, only pure super-hero ass-kicking with fists, guns and swords flying through the air.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Dat massive leap of logic.
;)

It's the view that is used that seems to lead to this confusion. Both games share a top down camera, which is quite uncommon in this day and age.

After watching the trailer though, if one doesn't understand it's a bad ass Platinum action game, there's little to be done.

Madouu

According to that description it could also be like Starcraft, Grand Theft auto: San Andreas, Planescape Torment and Little King's story.

Perfect.

Can't wait for the game, that website just made the wait so much harder.

TDLink

Tiny black kid is best character.

Whats his name.

Please tell me its wonder black.
I will laugh my ass off.

Well provided the naming convention that all of the others use holds true for him then that is most likely his "Hero name", yes.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Well, that description could be right even for an RPG ;p
The two games have totally different gameplay, pace, controls and so on

Action game VS Strategy game
You move directly all the group VS you move the captain and point the target for the group
You have a unique group VS you can/must split your "army" into different micro-targets
You attack/defend/dodge/superattack/qte VS you dodge enemies attack while pikmin dies trying to kill the enemy
you draw super attack on the touch VS you move the map real time on the touch

they are very different, despite having this "tiny various mini characters" on screen

popyea

Love the music on the website!

When Kamiya says there are 100 heroes in the game, does that just represent the maximum number of recruited civilians + your main heroes? Or are there a whole lot of other hero types?

Something about them transforming in 'a mere 3 billionths of a second' into their centinel suits makes me smile and I'm not sure what it is.

Kouriozan

Love the music on the website!

When Kamiya says there are 100 heroes in the game, does that just represent the maximum number of recruited civilians + your main heroes? Or are there a whole lot of other hero types?
100 unique Wonderful heroes and some random civilian you can recruit temporarily.

JDSN

Banned
Well provided the naming convention that all of the others use holds true for him then that is most likely his "Hero name", yes.

The NOA translation will probably avoid this, but if Treehouse is on the case they will probably give it a funny blaxploitation name like Wonder Jones.

Also, it is safe to assume that all the characters of the art are a different weapons? If so, the gameboy one could easily launch drone strikes or control enemies....like Pikmin.

Maxrunner

What is this comparison? I don't even. By this logic, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is the best game of all time. It's colorful and has 358/2 in the title, bro. GTAV isn't even gang themed.

And OMG @ the continued Pikmin comparison. I'm convinced anyone who says that after watching TW101 footage has never played Pikmin.

What's wrong with it? the number thing was a joke, duh...

Usobuko

Banned
Panties hitting the floor everywhere. OMG. I don't know if I can handle the hype, NeoGAF. Help me. WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SEPTEMBER!!! SEPTEMBER!!! (hate you Europe and Japan)

All is fair, Europe gets shafted most of the times outside of Nintendo games.

mcmmaster

I personally do think that Rising easily had the best bosses in a Platinum game

Yes a game where the majority of the boss fights felt so uninspired and weak and the final boss is a
US senator
is Platinum's best boss roster from their games, Bayonetta, Mad World & Vanquish all say Hi.

Exile20

So clueless....

Please search on youtube for gameplay.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
IGN SDCC First 20 Minutes: http://youtu.be/LOG_pcFEkwo

See this is my problem with the game. It has amazing production values, makes me laugh, looks lovely, but the actual gameplay looks crap. Alright the player wasn't the brightest tool in the shed, but when the game is failing him even though he drew a circle when thats what it asked of him and QTE Segment 5 (17:35)... we got problems.

Yes a game where the majority of the boss fights felt so uninspired and weak and the final boss is a US senator is Platinum's best boss roster from their games, Bayonetta, Mad World & Vanquish all say "Hi".

I'll give you Bayonetta(if you just REALLY like giant boss fights with big AOE attacks), but Mad World and Vanquish? I'm pointing and laughing in your general direction

and yes, I hope we get some good combat videos eventually. Every single demo or trailer makes it look kinda spastic and one dimensional, with huge tell signs by the enemies "OMG IM BOUT TO ATTACK"

Air

Banned
See this is my problem with the game. It has amazing production values, makes me laugh, looks lovely, but the actual gameplay looks crap. Alright the player wasn't the brightest tool in the shed, but when the game is failing him even though he drew a circle when thats what it asked of him and QTE Segment 5 (17:35)... we got problems.

They player didn't draw the circle correctly. It gives you a rainbow when you recruit new people but the circle actually has to encompass the people in at least a "c" shape to go through.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They player didn't draw the circle correctly. It gives you a rainbow when you recruit new people but the circle actually has to encompass the people in at least a "c" shape to go through.

I'm talking about the Unite Hand finisher. For one its seemingly showing you can use the Right analog for the circle but the games having none of it, then he draws a quick circle and it still fails him.

So you have to look down and make sure you're getting some of those radar dots in what you draw? Eggggghhhhhh.

Village

Heh, really though. Oh man, that is that is something.

Yes a game where the majority of the boss fights felt so uninspired and weak and the final boss is a
US senator
is Platinum's best boss roster from their games, Bayonetta, Mad World & Vanquish all say Hi.

I agree with the other persons statement. you fought french rihanna, a psychic ninja, Texas oiil businessman type, The most interesting man in the worlds son, and senator on steriods.

I think some of you are going to have to adjust your expectations. Despite the dodge offset, and jello perfect block, and the ability to buy moves, expecting a Bayonetta-esque combat video to come out of nowhere from this game seems like looking for something that might not be here, at least not this early in the game, and especially not from- ahem- Games Journalists™.

Lets not forget that this is from the director of Okami. It's not like he's against having a more simple combat system in his games. That's the vibe I've been getting from most of the footage, just leaning a bit more on the character action side of things.

Frodo

Honestly? People worried about the gameplay on a Kamiya game (based on a IGN hands-on)? HONESTLY?

I just love the music on this, though. SoooooOOooo good.

Top Bottom