• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Japanese Website Opens (New Footage/Artwork/Details)

02_02.png

Site: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/acmj/index.html

Footage Compilation: http://youtu.be/sWXbQJN3G0s
IGN SDCC First 20 Minutes: http://youtu.be/LOG_pcFEkwo
Gamespot Stage Demo from SDCC: http://youtu.be/oYNBEuwGXvs

-Earth was attack by aliens (the 'Geathjerks') 40 years prior to the game's opening.
-The Centinel Program was set up by the UN to fight the Geathjerks. Our heroes belong to that program.
-There is one Hero placed in each of the 100 field branches of the Centinel program around the world.
-Use the sword morph to open locks, the hand morph to open doors, and the bridge morph to cross gaps.
-Up to 5 person multiplayer. Mutliplayer is NOT online.
-Download space requires 12.9GB
(for comparison, Pikmin 3 is 5GB, LCU is 20.3GB, and Nintendo Land is 3.2GB as listed on their official sites)
- Save file takes up 8MB
- 30 save files
- Supports Surround Sound (Linear PCM 5.1 ch)
- Outputs 1080p, renders 720p
- Supports Wii U Game Pad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Classic Controller
- Supports Off-TV play
- Supports basic Miiverse functions
- Supports English and Japanese audio and subtitles in all regions.

Kamiya's blog post on the site: http://www.platinumgames.co.jp/tw101/archives/5#more-5

Hi, everyone! This is Hideki Kamiya, director of “The Wonderful 101.”

It’s been some time since I directed my last game, “Bayonetta,” and I’ve been busy upholding my name as Twitter Master in the meanwhile. However, it’s about time I unleashed a new game upon the world, so it looks like I’ll finally be able to regain my original title of Game Designer!

Anyway, since “The Wonderful 101” is a completely new game, I’m sure most people out there still have no idea what it’s about, despite the fact that the release date is not too far away. Most people seem to be going “Oh, that’s that game with the ridiculously large crowd of characters running around, right?” or “Wait, is that the game where you play as a dog?” or “Wonderful What? Never heard of it.”

And that’s perfectly fine!

That’s why we’re bringing you this blog: to have fun and share information on “The Wonderful 101!”

If I had to give a brief description of this game, I would say that it’s a simple, pure Action Game in which you become a hero and defeat bad guys. It doesn’t require a lot of deep thought. It’s just that there’s a few… well, a LOT… more heroes than in your average game.

The “101” in the title indicates the number of heroes. The reason we added one number to 100 is that we wanted everyone outside of the TV to become heroes as well. So what kind of actions can you pull off with this many heroes? That’s the question we intend to answer in detail from here on out.

But for today, you’ll have to make do with my introduction. We’ll start telling you more about the actual game in future posts, including loads of screenshots. Of course we won’t just focus on the action: we’ll introduce the characters and story as well. It’ll be a smorgasbord of information, so you’ve got a lot to look forward to!

The next update is just around the corner, so get ready to Unite Up!

*One in Japanese is said "Wan" and is a homonym for the onomatopoeia for a dog's bark, hence this comment.

Directed by: Hideki Kamiya (Okami, Bayonetta, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe)
Developer: Platinum Games
Publisher: Nintendo
Release: August 24 (JP), August 23 (EU), September 15 (NA)

Let Mr. Wedgewood kill me if old. If anyone can rip the art, I'd appreciate it.

Artwork, thanks to Aostia.

02_01.png
05_01.png

06_02.png
03_02.png

Screens also thanks to Aostia

05_02.jpg

05_03.jpg

05_04.jpg

06_01.png

jwk94

wait wait wait, was that an
evil 6th ranger/hero
? As if my purchase wasn't already sealed. I need to give them my money.

The translation of the Blog is much appreciated, StreetsAhead. The game looks very fun and I hope the website will be able to convince more people.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Game of the year, folks. Let's call it a wrap.

Not even Platinum Game of the Year :p

Still worried about the sheer quantity of QTE's. I feel like they havent shown nearly enough "normal" gameplay footage.

Still worried about the sheer quantity of QTE's. I feel like they havent shown nearly enough "normal" gameplay footage.

As someone that really liked Rising, I'm pretty confident this will be a fair bit better, if for nothing else than because they probably have time to actually finish it.

As someone that really liked Rising, I'm pretty confident this will be a fair bit better, if for nothing else than because they probably have time to actually finish it.

Yes, I love Rising but this looks to be both better and more polished. Kamiya can do no wrong.

And yes, I'm looking forward to GTA V, I just want this game more. :)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It's no worse than Bayonetta really. I suggest looking up the off-screen footage from the numerous events.

With Bayonetta I was getting super long freeform combat combos to offset the QTE bits, whereas I'm just not seeing enough depth to the combat here to balance out.

Also, both times I've watched footage from events its being played in tortuously slow "explain everything" style with no flow to combat and really really basic. About the only wow moment so far personally was using the sword to reflect an enemy laser.

Not a chance. Rising is 2013 King and felt suitably finished, DLC as the icing.

javac

I'm pretty sure a lot of people were sceptical of Rising even with the demo so let's not call this off too early ;)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
With Bayonetta I was getting super long freeform combat combos to offset the QTE bits, whereas I'm just not seeing enough depth to the combat here to balance out.

Also, both times I've watched footage from events its being played in tortuously slow "explain everything" style with no flow to combat and really really basic. About the only wow moment so far personally was using the sword to reflect an enemy laser.

I've played it and I can say that the combat is really fresh, well balanced, original and absolutely not slow (probably a problem of the "demo stage explanation", I think), and I don't understand exactly the QTE concern

javac

Just no idea how you lost your tag... Show me some W101 bosses that come close to Mistral, Monsoon, etc and we got ourselves a real match.

the games not even out yet. Did we even know about how these bosses were in Rising until...you know you...played the game? So confusing. Your prematurely blowing your wad.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I can't really tell if it's the shaders that sublime the colors, or the colors that sublime the shaders.

Whatever, it looks Wonderful. Wunderbar. Splendide.

Usobuko

Banned
Ah yes. My most anticipated game this year, I'll buy any limited edition they put out. Too bad it's not going to happen.

legbone

i bet a hundred bucks that ship turns over for "battle mode". it looks like an upside down version of a really cool ship. anyone else notice this?

NotLiquid

Just no idea how you lost your tag... Show me some W101 bosses that come close to Mistral, Monsoon, etc and we got ourselves a real match.

I personally do think that Rising easily had the best bosses in a Platinum game, although the design approaches are pretty different between Rising and Bayonetta with TW101 opting more to the latter from what little we've seen of them.

With that said, despite loving the game I have to agree that Rising felt pretty unfinished. The bosses are easily the best parts of the game where-as everything in between occupies that No More Heroes-esque rinse repeat tedium which is wailing through waves of enemies in levels that are pretty generic in design. Almost all the gimmicks beyond that are contextual as fuck as well. There's only really one or two times in the game where stealth, environmental kills, turrets and so on even appear prominently. The combat is what's mostly holding it together, which is thankfully that good.

I don't think it'll be that hard for TW101 to outshine it in terms of the whole package, much like Bayonetta. The game is said to be 20 hours long with ample time for puzzles and other fun set pieces. It's clear that they seem to have been working on it for quite a while considering what they're saying about this being their biggest game in terms of budget.

Top Bottom