• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 launches in NA on Sept. 15, EU on Aug. 23

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Huh, I just noticed...

Isn't one of the major players Yellow? Why is he suddenly color green?

ohlawd

If it's local multiplayer... I'm screwed. Online, obviously not.

Family has no interest in games like this, all my friends have shit taste in games.

wat do.

roddur

one thing is bothering me, in the trailer i wish all the characters had dynamic shadows.

the game looks good, this is just little nitpicking.

one thing is bothering me, in the trailer i wish all the characters had dynamic shadows.

the game looks good, this is just little nitpicking.

This is taken from the wii u forums. The graphics did improve since September look

thewonderful10120120913.jpg

wonderful101comp2.jpg

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If it goes over 500k, it's done really well. I honestly expect Little Kings Story figures (which didn't even go over 300k IIRC). Maybe with the Nintendo publishing deal they can advertise it and make it at least partially successful.

I do think this game has more immediate appeal than Little King's Story, Madworld and Hotel Dusk, mostly based on combination of visual style and genre.
But you have to remember, even those games took a while to achieve their unremarkable sales numbers. Certainly longer than six months.

This game doing 500k in any short amount of time isn't very likely I would think.
This. I can see it doing that amount over the lifetime of the console, but I don't expect it to be a runaway hit unless Nintendo makes a concentrated effort to market it appropriately.

I'm secretly hoping that Nintendo has faith in this product.. put the weight of their marketing behind it
If they did decide to go this route, perhaps they could ride Pikmin's wave.

KevinCow

Banned
oh, i know it's improved. i'm following this game. just this day and age circular shadow for console game is kinda....

Well there are like 100 characters on screen at a time. Plus enemies.

Considering most current-gen games can't do flawless real-time shadows when there are like 10 characters on screen, I think expecting real-time shadows in this game is a little bit unreasonable.

D-e-f-

Banned
Re: sales expectations

You guys also should consider that previous Platinum games were one among a flood of many, years into a system's life. The Wonderful 101 is one of THE games to get if you buy a Wii U this year. And it's first party published. Sure the install base is smaller, but the game has a way way way higher profile than previous games (aside from MGS Rising obviously).

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Iwata asks your mom (laughs)

You guys also should consider that previous Platinum games were one among a flood of many, years into a system's life. The Wonderful 101 is one of THE games to get if you buy a Wii U this year. And it's first party published. Sure the install base is smaller, but the game has a way way way higher profile than previous games

Depends on the marketing but I don't see this ever having mainstream appeal in any scenario. No More Heroes hit the right nerves early on Wii, but despite GHM it also didn't look nearly as wacky as this.

wsippel

Banned
oh, i know it's improved. i'm following this game. just this day and age circular shadow for console game is kinda....
Circle shadows are (and should be) used in games like this as a visual cue for platforming. Because it would be really hard to figure out where exactly you are in 3D space while jumping otherwise. Some games tried other solutions, like switching between real and circle shadows depending on whether or not your jumping, or using projections, but the former looks stupid and the latter adds unnecessary clutter.

D-e-f-

Banned
The Wonderful 101 |OT| Iwata asks your mom (laughs)

Depends on the marketing but I don't see this ever having mainstream appeal in any scenario. No More Heroes hit the right nerves early on Wii, but despite GHM it also didn't look nearly as wacky as this.

You can easily sell this as a kid-friendly action game by the visual presentation alone, though. Not saying this is gonna do Mario Kart numbers but among gamers, this is one of the games to get for the system.

Circle shadows are (and should be) used in games like this as a visual cue for platforming. Because it would be really hard to figure out where exactly you are in 3D space while jumping otherwise. Some games tried other solutions, like switching between real and circle shadows depending on whether or not your jumping, or using projections, but the former looks stupid and the latter adds unnecessary clutter.

Didn't you hear? Games always have to have the best graphics technically possible, game design is irrelevant.

:p

Agreed. Game mechanics trump everything.

You can easily sell this as a kid-friendly action game by the visual presentation alone, though. Not saying this is gonna do Mario Kart numbers but among gamers, this is one of the games to get for the system.
Not even Lego City is doing great in that regard, or is it?

D-e-f-

Banned
Not even Lego City is doing great in that regard, or is it?

True, I guess. Though that game also gets snubbed by those lusting after TW101 since many view it as "just a Lego game" with boring graphics and shitty load-times. TW101 has a lot more "street cred" in that area so far, thanks to Platnum developing it. As for LCU, who knows, maybe the game will have slow but steady sales with a long tail as the install base grows. Right now, no Wii U game is doing that awesome aside from the "safe bet" Nintendo games.

gngf123

True, I guess. Though that game also gets snubbed by those lusting after TW101 since many view it as "just a Lego game" with boring graphics and shitty load-times. TW101 has a lot more "street cred" in that area so far, thanks to Platnum developing it. As for LCU, who knows, maybe the game will have slow but steady sales with a long tail as the install base grows. Right now, no Wii U game is doing that awesome aside from the "safe bet" Nintendo games.

The people who know about and like PG are far lower in number than those who like Lego/Lego games. This does offer something new to the WiiU lineup, but it's not going to make a large impact.

D-e-f-

Banned
The people who know about and like PG are far lower in number than those who like Lego/Lego games. This does offer something new to the WiiU lineup, but it's not going to make a large impact.

The people who like Lego games also don't necessarily buy a system for a Lego game, especially if that is the one Lego game that doesn't have co-op which is why a lot of people love the Lego games. Wonderful 101 is an enthusiast-gamers system seller type game like Pikmin which is why the pairing of those two fits so nicely.

edit: again, not saying it'll do millions.

True but I dont think people bought LCU just because it was lego. Some bought it because it was published by Nintendo and thought of it as a good game.

Neff

I think it would be kind of dumb and unnecessarily cynical to put "bomba" right in the topic title.

If Kamiya brings his A game again, this title is going to have very, very good word of mouth. Nintendo will do their best to sing its praises. Quality-starved Wii U owners have basically been waiting for this and Pikmin 3 since the launch lineup. I imagine there are going to be a few folks who will be buying Wii Us to play it soon. Realistically speaking, it might not be a hit, but it definitely won't be a flop.

D-e-f-

Banned
If Kamiya brings his A game again, this title is going to have very, very good word of mouth. Nintendo will do their best to sing its praises. Quality-starved Wii U owners have basically been waiting for this and Pikmin 3 since the launch lineup. I imagine there are going to be a few folks who will be buying Wii Us to play it soon. Realistically speaking, it might not be a hit, but it definitely won't be a flop.

Agreed. I bet there's a ton of those "wait and see" people out there who were put off by NintendoLand and were tired of 2D Mario who just want Pikmin and "new crazy game from Kamiya" and with the Zelda/3D Mario double punch to follow soon, those games will be their imaginary delayed launch pick-ups.

NEO0MJ

Agreed. I bet there's a ton of those "wait and see" people out there who were put off by NintendoLand and were tired of 2D Mario who just want Pikmin and "new crazy game from Kamiya" and with the Zelda/3D Mario double punch to follow soon, those games will be their imaginary delayed launch pick-ups.

That's how it is for me. Picking up A Wii U with Pikmin 3 and a few other games to stave me off until W101.

D_prOdigy

I think we've heard similar things before for pretty much every Clover/Platinum game though.

And it's all well and good hoping that Nintendo will get behind it and push it, but I for one expected them to do that for Lego City, and to be honest you would hope that younger, Saturday morning cartoon demographic is the one they focus on with this if they want it to be a hit. To be fair, maybe Lego City was marketed well on kids TV and I just missed it.

Perhaps if Nintendo makes a concerted effort to re-boot Wii U marketing after E3 and throughout the summer. If not, I'm afraid I can see the Platinum status quo being unchanged with TW101.

Lombax

Banned
How many price drops do you need? Retailers all over the world are doing insane deals on the system.

that may be but I just hope the price gets lower this fall because this is the only game on the WiiU that remotely interests me. The current MSRP is just silly.

D-e-f-

Banned
that may be but I just hope the price gets lower this fall because this is the only game on the WiiU that remotely interests me. The current MSRP is just silly.

But what do you care about the MSRP when you get insane deals that probably go even lower than the very first price drop will already?

hatchx

Banned

You guys also should consider that previous Platinum games were one among a flood of many, years into a system's life. The Wonderful 101 is one of THE games to get if you buy a Wii U this year. And it's first party published. Sure the install base is smaller, but the game has a way way way higher profile than previous games (aside from MGS Rising obviously).

I can see it going both ways really. It really does look like a game with more mass appeal than what Platinum has done in the past. It has co-op multiplayer, rich graphics, and it's a brawler of epic proportions.

I can see it bombing if it gets no marketing, is 4 hours long and gets mediocre reviews.

I can see it selling over a million if it's a 9.5 game and gets the proper marketing it deserves. Personally, I'm salivating for the day I walk out of the store with GTAV and W101 in my hand.

jacksrb

[RE:possiblity of Off TV Play]

First off, nobody knows. And it's built around gestures on the touch screen so 99% no.

Agree that nobody knows, but I thought that all of the gestures could be made using the right analog stick too. That doesn't get around the puzzle inside the hangar where the gamepad sees a different view...

SmokeMaxX

A mil is definitely pushing it IMO. I can't see the marketing push being that big. Most Nintendo consumers (i.e. not the ones on Gaf) want "safe" bets like Lego, Mario, etc. They typically don't buy new IPs in droves. Hope it's good though.

Top Bottom