• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

one_kill

How easy is easy? Is the game easy to pick up and play?

I haven't tried out the demo since I don't have a Wii U yet so I'm a tad concerned about executing moves and combos.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How is Kamiya so kawaii #_#;

Frodo

How easy is easy? Is the game easy to pick up and play?

I haven't tried out the demo since I don't have a Wii U yet so I'm a tad concerned about executing moves and combos.

Easy is probably the Normal you would expect in any other game. Though, to be honest, you won't die a lot in Normal, but it will be harder (of course) specially when fighting multiple enemies at the same time.

There is also Very Easy, which, will be very easy. Game even launches stunned enemies into the air for you.

one_kill

There's also a "very easy".

Easy is probably the Normal you would expect in any other game. Though, to be honest, you won't die a lot in Normal, but it will be harder (of course) specially when fighting multiple enemies at the same time.

There is also Very Easy, which, will be very easy. Game even launches stunned enemies into the air for you.
Thanks guys

I think I'll get it alongside a Wii U tomorrow :D

Frodo

Guys, that tip that someone here on GAF gave to use the Wonder Gun Stinger to start a combo or to stun the enemies is, indeed, very very very good to make your combo multiplier skyrocket.

You can easily break the 2.0x which will give elementary attacks to your weapons.

kiryogi

Banned
Well the fascinating thing Kamiya mentioned, with the game being out for 2 weeks now, not even Japan has found them yet. But yeah, he mentioned as an exclusive reveal for folks attending the panel. Upcoming photos and panel details shortly!

Proven

Guys, that tip that someone here on GAF gave to use the Wonder Gun Stinger to start a combo or to stun the enemies is, indeed, very very very good to make your combo multiplier skyrocket.

You can easily break the 2.0x which will give elementary attacks to your weapons.

2.5 gives you the elemental attacks, but yeah. Wonder Gun can be uniquely awesome.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Only the combo based morphs have them I thought.

Red - Fire
Blue - Lightning
White - Ice

and then some of the secret characters give elemental properties to the other morphs like
Alice MacGreggor having an Ice whip

kiryogi

Banned
To start off tonight's awesome Panel. . . another image of the Kamiception.
IMG_7875.JPG

Kamiya comments about how Minami is like a Yakuza mob boss and this is the only time you'll see him smile.

Also, remember how in the Iwata Asks they say Nintendo rejected the original idea of having their All-Stars as the cast? It turns out one of the main reasonings was that when Nintendo saw the "Unite Bridge" with Peach/Yoshi/Luigi being used. They just did not like the idea that you'd be trampling on them . . .

The beginnings of Wonder Red. When returning to his hero roots, they started off with something that looked more like Joe. If I recall correctly, he said something about his artist presented that first image, and he just absolutely shrugged it off and gave the cold shoulder to her. It wasn't until he came home and thought about it over night that things clicked. The 2nd draft turned out Red was way too bald! Apparently the artist has a thing for bald guys (har har), but Kamiya was absolutely against it. . .

Finally our near finalized Wonder Red is born, and as you can see the rest of the cast too. But they weren't quite as unique yet.

Wonder chars that didn't make it. Of all of them, Kamiya was upset that Wonder Giant didn't make it in. . . See the giant boots in the middle? They have no idea even how they'd look since they didn't make the cut!

Cool concept image the art director came up with.

Beta shots, showcasing the beginnings of the dialogue system. You can also see how it had the more comic book like style with the environment.

And now off to play.

Early release copy get!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. Thanks for sharing

I still think that old artstyle looks super good

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
really loving all this "concepts/arts" leaks
even if I prefer the shining colors they opted for the final version of the game
game that I've finally received, but is still on the shelve because I'm finishing Splinter Cell >_<

Mdk7

To start off tonight's awesome Panel. . . another image of the Kamiception.

Kamiya comments about how Minami is like a Yakuza mob boss and this is the only time you'll see him smile.

Also, remember how in the Iwata Asks they say Nintendo rejected the original idea of having their All-Stars as the cast? It turns out one of the main reasonings was that when Nintendo saw the "Unite Bridge" with Peach/Yoshi/Luigi being used. They just did not like the idea that you'd be trampling on them . . .

The beginnings of Wonder Red. When returning to his hero roots, they started off with something that looked more like Joe. If I recall correctly, he said something about his artist presented that first image, and he just absolutely shrugged it off and gave the cold shoulder to her. It wasn't until he came home and thought about it over night that things clicked. The 2nd draft turned out Red was way too bald! Apparently the artist has a thing for bald guys (har har), but Kamiya was absolutely against it. . .

Finally our near finalized Wonder Red is born, and as you can see the rest of the cast too. But they weren't quite as unique yet.

Wonder chars that didn't make it. Of all of them, Kamiya was upset that Wonder Giant didn't make it in. . . See the giant boots in the middle? They have no idea even how they'd look since they didn't make the cut!

Cool concept image the art director came up with.

Beta shots, showcasing the beginnings of the dialogue system. You can also see how it had the more comic book like style with the environment.

And now off to play.

Early release copy get!

Very interesting read, thanks!

Darryl

Banned
I think if everything was going well with the Wii U, the art style Nintendo chose would've been best. The game looks like it could've been a hit to me if everything was going right. The old art style would've been much more likely to be a niche game. However, it being on the console would've increased the appeal and imaging of the console right from announcement. And now, with the low console sales, the niche that it was originally appealing to could've been more significant than the more younger audience they're appealing to now.

They got themselves in a weird position with this game. In hindsight, they probably should've listened to Kamiya first with the Nintendo characters and then with the darker art style. I don't really care because it looks great either way. I'm buying it and would've bought it regardless.

Salih

while the old style looks cool it does remind me too much of Viewtiful Joe. I like that they went with another more unique style.

i do wanna see that weird Peach/Yoshi/Luigi bridge :D

so lets talk about strats.

one of my go to strat is unite bomb into team unite sword spamming. it usually is great since the enemies are slowed down and cant move fast and the combochain does not get interrupted if an occasional unite bomb is thrown when the team unite sword combo ends. I raked in a lot of points witht his.

are there other recommendations to gain points for a noobie??
I really like some of the unite morphs outside of the main 5 unite morphs.

unite naginata, unite bumerang, unite drill, unite crossbow and unite crossbow are all unique and interesting abbilities

i understand that they had to be confined in a few episodes as the game would be too confusing otherwise but those abilities really were well made.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Going through hard! Hard!

Going through hard! Hard!
Is there a list of locations for ALL 100 members yet? I was also going through hard but then I realised I might be better off searching for the entire cast so I can power them up as well as purchase the post game bonus morphs.

And turtles in the first level of hard mode?!? Dear oh dear.

Is there a list of locations for ALL 100 members yet? I was also going through hard but then I realised I might be better off searching for the entire cast so I can power them up as well as purchase the post game bonus morphs.

And turtles in the first level of hard mode?!? Dear oh dear.

do you have to gain back your unite morphs after the first playthrough or do you keep them?

turtles with only unite hand and sword... good luck with that..

do you have to gain back your unite morphs after the first playthrough or do you keep them?

turtles with only unite hand and sword... good luck with that..
Everyone one you've found and all abilities are kept post game. You've basically unlocked all stages and you can change the difficulty at the stage select screen whenever you want. I beat normal which unlocked hard but I don't know what is after that.

The prologue on hard is a bit difficult,
especially when you're by yourself taking on the giant "standard" robots with basic punches only before your friends show up

Everyone one you've found and all abilities are kept post game. You've basically unlocked all stages and you can change the difficulty at the stage select screen whenever you want. I beat normal which unlocked hard but I don't know what is after that.

The prologue on hard is a bit difficult,
especially when you're by yourself taking on the giant "standard" robots with basic punches only before your friends show up

ah nice. will definately play again for more unlocks. combat is just insanely fun!

Thanks for posting a link to a huge spoiler that has a) been posted already WITH a spoiler warning and b) should have a fucking SPOILER WARNING!

dude... really...

I was thinking this was something NOT spoiling secrets since you posted it right after the spoiler post.

What the fuck man

Why couldn't you put a warning on this? That's a fucking spoiler

You guys saved me from it so thanks for that. I even opened the link in a new tab.

Salih

well...i clicked at that link.

W9oEohM.gif

btw. i reached Operation
007-A - 'Wonder Brown' out of nowhere! I love these suprises!
:D

EatChildren

The spoiler is hidden characters. But, for what it's worth, they're not (as far as I'm aware) hidden in the game like regular heroes. As in, you can't find them in secret areas of operations. I'm fairly certain those three can only be unlocked (along with a few other heroes) by completing bottle cap criteria unlocks. So you're looking at a fair bit of difficult work.

daakusedo

I feel so bad after the vorken shirogane battle, I was so dominated...
Rotating blade attack is a problem since the earlier encounters, I don't know if you can counter, I finally thought of jumping over it but I fall when it's not even finished.
I can't block the bomb anymore also, I wonder if it's due to the mega size, the solution is maybe to counter but I didn't think of it while fighting. I counter the claws, don't know if you can do it against the whip.

popyea

I'm doing Operation 003
and got to hear the "penis joke" that a couple of reviews seemed to fixate on. Wow did they blow that one out of proportion.

Can't decide if I want to do Hard mode for a 2nd playthrough, or perhaps another Normal runthrough to improve my poor ranks/look for hidden shit

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Maaaaaaaaaaaan, EC just opened a "Spoiler" thread for W101...I WANT TO READ but I CAN'T!!!!
I still have to start the game... ;(

Top Bottom