• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

So I'm going to assume that Bomb should always be used as a multi-unite/support skill as opposed to being your main means of attack. I'm not finding as much use for it as I hoped I would.

Oh, and how do you deal with spike attacks etc that go through your Guts? I bought the upgrade that boosts it by giving spiky protectors but I find it only works on certain attacks. I had to outright dodge a few unites that Vorkken did against me cause I couldn't possibly reflect them.

Wonder Spring with Hero Time. :) @Bomb: Yep, use it as a support skill / begin yout attack with one.

_____

While playing i had constantly the thought of Kamiya brainstorming with his team what crazy shit they could implement if there would be no limits whatsoever.
In the end they took everything.

So the store popped out of the ground and everything?

Or were you just randomly transported to a menu?
randomly transported to the menu, it happened around the part where the first wonder toilet thingy is in the demo. I only realized it was a glitch once I saw no one else mentioning it and I couldn't trigger it again on other playthroughs. I thought the slight freeze before it was just a random checkpoint.

Proven

Hah I meant W101 ;) sorry, edited it.

Just played through the second chapter. The boss was a pain in the ass in the beginning. I've lost two continues... what the hell? What's the best tactic for him?

Operation 2-C? Almost all of his attacks can be blocked/countered (the ones that can't, I think you need a later character for). You just have to keep laying in on his face while dealing with his attacks to protect the tower.

Edit:
Meet NinjaSyao. He's probably the best player doing a playthrough on youtube right now. That isn't saying a lot, but he's decent.

Here's Operation 2-C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFR4S7RUsBw

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Operation 2-C? Almost all of his attacks can be blocked/countered (the ones that can't, I think you need a later character for). You just have to keep laying in on his face while dealing with his attacks to protect the tower.

Edit:
Meet NinjaSyao. He's probably the best player doing a playthrough on youtube right now. That isn't saying a lot, but he's decent.

Here's Operation 2-C: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFR4S7RUsBw

He's also playing on Easy

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Its Scrubtropolis on YouTube Now...Saur is the only decent player with the Game, Apparently

Yeah pretty much.

When Rising came out my youtube feed was blowing up with Rising vids from all the action game players I'm subscribed to

101 dropped and things are real quiet.

Not sure if it's the platform or the staggered US release.(well I do know a few players that won't be picking it up because wii-u)

but I mean even the japanese players don't seem to have picked this up.

On one hand it's a bummer. on the other hand I'm kinda hoping there will still be some secrets left to find in 2 weeks time because none of the good players are playing lol

Proven

Oh, I was wrong about Unite Whip and spike armor. It looks like all that matters is the size of your whip at the point in an attack string where you'll rip off an armor piece. This means that if an enemy is doing something that he can't be staggered out of, you have to wait.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So just bought the game and open it (european version).
No manual whatsoever, no even a shitty panflet.
Is this normal, or WTF is this shit Nintendo?

I think Nintendo's manuals are all digital now

kinda shitty but at the same time convenient too. I liked that Earthbound on Wii-U came with the player's guide in that form

So just bought the game and open it (european version).
No manual whatsoever, no even a shitty panflet.
Is this normal, or WTF is this shit Nintendo?

yeah its normal nowadays even with other publishers. I hate it, I want as much as I can physical but no manual is a slap in the face. how I loved the old days when I brought home a game and went through the manual first on the toilet.

Use unite gun.

Seems logical. On the big cannisters I suppose. Damn, this game is making me feel dumb every now and then.

I think Nintendo's manuals are all digital now

kinda shitty but at the same time convenient too. I liked that Earthbound on Wii-U came with the player's guide in that form

Meh, Nintendo was the last one doing color manuals, even pikmin 3 had a panflet.
Thanks god I could buy this cheaper at a Media Markt, if they are going to take any of the privilages left of having it physical, they at least can make the games cheaper, no? Whats next, making the boxart black and white?
And then you cant go digital with them becuase its shit and expensive as hell.

Meh, Nintendo was the last one doing color manuals, even pikmin 3 had a panflet.
Thanks god I could buy this cheaper at a Media Markt, if they are going to take any of the privilages left of having it physical, they at least can make the games cheaper, no? Whats next, making the boxart black and white?
And then you cant go digital with them becuase its shit and expensive as hell.
Super Luigi U had none either. Wii U games are getting cheaper now. Pikmin 3 and tw101 are around 45€. Sonic Lost World is 39,99€ right now on amazon.de, for comparison older games are/were 59,99€.

NotLiquid

Just had a bit of a small "oh shit" moment during the beginning of Operation 6. During the segment right after the first major encounter where you have to draw bridges, I accidentally fucked up while walking across and fell to my impending respawn before I got the idea to try scaling the wall with the Claws. Lo and behold, it worked. Didn't think it worked for anything but context-sensitive areas. Felt a bit like I was watching a saturday morning cartoon screw-up there.

Also I can see that some remnants of the failed "Nintendo All-Star" concept still remains. A red protagonist using his hand to throw balls of fire with a horizontal swing to it? That totally doesn't remind me of anything.

NIN90

Up to 003-B. Taking my sweet ass time with this. Replayed a bunch of stages and my ingame clock is at 6 hours.
One thing I don't like is how many stages have some sort of gimmick, like
the whole ship stuff in 002-A and 002-B and the maze in 003-A.

Wow, the game is hard as hell, I think I played the demo on easy last time, because when there are two tanks at the same time they play with me like a toy. I use the fusion flan and all that, but they still hit me usually when they are not on screen, or im fighting one while the other attacks.

Super Luigi U had none either. Wii U games are getting cheaper now. Pikmin 3 and tw101 are around 45€. Sonic Lost World is 39,99€ right now on amazon.de, for comparison older games are/were 59,99€.

Thought that only depended on the shop, for example Media Markt has always here games 10 euros cheaper, but the normal game stores have it for 49 still. Then third party games are usually 60 euros. Still, its good that Nintendo games are not 60 anymore (we saw some of the launch games at the store still at 55 euros today, things like Nintendo land, which made no fucking sense).

ASIS

I'm at operation 004, question about the controls.

Do the future forms become harder to draw or are the reviews just bogus on this one? I've had a hard time with the hammer at first but now I can do it at almost 100% success rate, all the other ones are pretty snappy as well.

Absolutely loving this game. The surprises just keep on coming!

mcmmaster

Do the future forms become harder to draw or are the reviews just bogus on this one? I've had a hard time with the hammer at first but now I can do it at almost 100% success rate, all the other ones are pretty snappy as well.

Not at all, I'm pulling off crazy combos with all unite morph's and it never gets difficult drawing the later shapes. It's so easy and the action never slows down so you can imagine how infuriating it is when reviewers knock down the score just because they're crap at the game and can't be bothered to put the time in to learn some new controls.

Hammer is still the most difficult for me but i get it 95% of the time with analog and 100% with touch. The later forms are actually easier in my opinion.

Neff

Of the
dozen
or so sketches the game will ask you to draw, they're all perfectly intuitive and functional, although experience from playing Okami will give you a head start.

I've begun my second playthrough and the difference in performance after applying all the skills and tricks I learned from the first is huge. If anything I think I'm enjoying it even more. This is a 101% Kamiya game alright.

All of the
rail shooter
segments were
Starfox
as fuck.

He's said before that that's the Nintendo franchise he'd most like to work on as well.

Those end sections more specifically reference
Space Harrier (again, but I've no complaints)
and
Galaxy Force II
. Kamiya's obviously in love with
3D shooters
generally though, and I know I'm not the only one hoping and praying that
he'll get a shot at Starfox like he clearly wants
. The
Viewpoint
reference was totally unexpected though.

Playing it safe with the spoilers here just in case, I don't want to deprive any lucky players of what's in store...

This game just went from being a 9/10 to a 7 at best.
what the hell at chapter 06 boss....
I do not want to ever play through this section again,
Once i'm finished, i'm sticking to mission select.

each vorkken fight was always a bit rubbish, but this was just stupid.
So the only attack of his i can block is the hand,
everything else i'm screwed and all i can do is run away/dodge.
and when you do dodge it's almost pointless.
no wonder even kamiya can't beat it on the hardest difficulty.

His fights were always a bit crazy, but that just took the piss,
i hate it when there is nothing i can do other than dodge/run away.
I'm desperate to read/watch a walkthrough of this section, and see if anyone actually knows how to do this bit well, other than constant running away/dodging.

Neff

Using
Unite Bomb
as support is the key. I believe you can buy
Hero Time
by that point too, which is even better. The game's quality doesn't lessen because you're failing. Have faith and look for a way. You're always in good hands with PG.

The
Vorkken
fights are some of the game's highpoints imo.

This game just went from being a 9/10 to a 7 at best.
what the hell at chapter 06 boss....
I do not want to ever play through this section again,
Once i'm finished, i'm sticking to mission select.

each vorkken fight was always a bit rubbish, but this was just stupid.
So the only attack of his i can block is the hand,
everything else i'm screwed and all i can do is run away/dodge.
and when you do dodge it's almost pointless.
no wonder even kamiya can't beat it on the hardest difficulty.

His fights were always a bit crazy, but that just took the piss,
i hate it when there is nothing i can do other than dodge/run away.
I'm desperate to read/watch a walkthrough of this section, and see if anyone actually knows how to do this bit well, other than constant running away/dodging.

You can block the hammer as well. parry these two and dodge the rest. combined with timebombs, mines, herotime and spring 2.0 you can deal a lot of damage.

thefro

Kamiya wonderized his twitter avatar

6daddc6f6b6320cdd4a5abb8859b1f46.png

mcmmaster

I didn't think that fight with
Vorkken
was all that bad, I felt being pressured during those fights was kinda challenging as it wasn't always about running away but also about getting those quick few attacks in during those tough tight spots, that made it so much more interesting and fun for me. Oh and you can block the hammer attack as well... didn't really have trouble with the rest of his moves, only one that was a 60% chance of dodging was the spinning blade he throws at ya but everything else I was able to easily dodge, I reckon after a few more fights with him i'll figure out a way to dodge that spinning blade 100% of the time.

Seriously the game is trial and error so no need to throw a fit, I was getting slaughtered on my first run but now on my second i'm much more confident in my fighting and dodging skills, as Kamiya said the game doesn't start until your second/third run so give it time and you'll soon realize how much of a masterpiece this game really is.

Nemesis_

Umm, how do you pick up people? There's a punk looking dude on the street jumping up and down and waving at my group, but walking over him doesn't put him in my group?

EDIT: Wait, I worked it out.

But what's the benefit of these people joining your group? Just another permanent member?

moolamb

Holy fork...

This game is amazing. I was only mildly interested after the demo and I bought it mostly because of Wii U's lack of other games, but I just had my mind blown. It was meant to be a quick break from work, but a few hours later I felt like I defeated the final boss. And I realised I'd only completed operation 001.

And I know this won't matter to a lot of people but for those who love Japanese voice acting:

ujJWTpB.jpg

Top Bottom