• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Moze

Banned
Umm, how do you pick up people? There's a punk looking dude on the street jumping up and down and waving at my group, but walking over him doesn't put him in my group?

EDIT: Wait, I worked it out.

But what's the benefit of these people joining your group? Just another permanent member?

Picking up people allows you to make bigger more powerful weapons and such. Not all the people you pick up will become a permanent member

Exile20

Holy fork...

This game is amazing. I was only mildly interested after the demo and I bought it mostly because of Wii U's lack of other games, but I just had my mind blown. It was meant to be a quick break from work, but a few hours later I felt like I defeated the final boss. And I realised I'd only completed operation 001.

And I know this won't matter to a lot of people but for those who love Japanese voice acting:

ujJWTpB.jpg

So glad to see you really enjoying the game. I can't wait to play it for myself.

Fandangox

Umm, how do you pick up people? There's a punk looking dude on the street jumping up and down and waving at my group, but walking over him doesn't put him in my group?

EDIT: Wait, I worked it out.

But what's the benefit of these people joining your group? Just another permanent member?

Permanent Members i.e other W101 heroes can be leveled up.

Each W101 hero has a unite Morph that falls into one used by the main seven (Gun, Fist, Sword, etc)
If you use them you will level the heroes up, the more you level up everyone (not just the main 7) you get new abilities.

NateDrake

When do you learn to dodge and block -- like what was available in the demo? I just played the first full mission on Normal and got owned by those Tanks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did not like Operation
007-A
one bit. Major buzz kill, and from the looks of things the rest of the Operation is going to be similar. Blah.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Operation 7
is a real stinker. It seems rushed, on top of that.

Yep, that's exactly what my thoughts were. Seemed fairly lazy and uninspired in its encounters and level progression. At least so far.

And yeah, I think spoiler tagging operation numbers is good to avoid shaping expectations, good or bad. Edited it in.

KU_

Finally got around to playing the demo, and I love it. For me, it just clicked really fast. Really fun demo, and I will definitely be getting this for my birthday next month since the release date is only a few days before.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Operation 7
is a real stinker. It seems rushed, on top of that.
Heh,
Operation 007-B has you dogfighting the boss on top of P-Star, that was cool!
(Stage right after the one you're talking about Eatchildren, unspoil at your own risk).

BTW, finished the game with the clock around 13 hours, 78 wonder dudes and now I'm in the process of making plastic and bronze disappear from my chart. Finding lots of hidden figures thanks to P-Star, love the little guy. I need W100 merchadise in my life.

Seik

Banned
You guys just make it harder to wait. :(

I know it's me that shouldn't come here in the first place, BUT I JUST CAN'T!

Hopefully NSLU and Rayman Legends will grant me the ability to forget about this game's existence for a few days...

kizmah

All right, so this game did nothing for me since it was announced. Seemed to fast, chaotic and...well, to japanese. But I played the demo last night and man was I surprised. To sum it up in one word, it was just FUN! Not all games come of as fun right away these days but this had me smiling. It clicked with me right away.

So I am conflicted now. I really don't have that much time to play games these days (first time-father recently), I haven't even finished Pikmin 3 yet and WWHD is just around the corner. But I kinda of got an ich for 101. On top of that Rayman legends seems to be really something. All of a sudden Wii U got to much goodness. It's a pleasant issue.

Mistouze

All right, so this game did nothing for me since it was announced. Seemed to fast, chaotic and...well, to japanese. But I played the demo last night and man was I surprised. To sum it up in one word, it was just FUN! Not all games come of as fun right away these days but this had me smiling. It clicked with me right away.

So I am conflicted now. I really don't have that much time to play games these days (first time-father recently), I haven't even finished Pikmin 3 yet and WWHD is just around the corner. But I kinda of got an ich for 101. On top of that Rayman legends seems to be really something. All of a sudden Wii U got to much goodness. It's a pleasant issue.
If you found the demo fun, I'd say go for it. The game is bombastic.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
When do you learn to dodge and block -- like what was available in the demo? I just played the first full mission on Normal and got owned by those Tanks.

have to buy it in the store

The upgrades are amongst the cheapest, so you should be able to buy them pretty early on

You should really play this, it's unique, and one hell of a ride! I've nothing against Legends or WWHD, but this game is not like anything you've experienced before.

Proven

One thing I don't see many people talking about... the discrete amounts for morph sizes. The only sizes I know the exact amounts for are 50 and 100. Then there's 10 for stuff like Guts and Spring, but I don't know if those correlate to the smallest Unite Hand and Sword sizes. And finally there's a medium size at 20 or 25.

My guess, 10, 20, 50, 100, and knowing these sizes let's you know how easily you can create more multi morphs in battle.

Mistouze

What should I expect in Hard mode compared to Normal? More/different ennemies during missions right? Is the bullet time still there while you draw? Might just give it a try tonight.

What should I expect in Hard mode compared to Normal? More/different ennemies during missions right? Is the bullet time still there while you draw? Might just give it a try tonight.

Started yesterday on hard. Let's just say I almost died on the bus and some winged monstrosity was waiting for me outside of the school. ;) Bullet time and all morphs are still there.

Shahadan

Endgame enemies right at the start of the first mission, to give you an idea :lol:

So I haven't really followed gaming much in the past months, but I thought about picking up Rayman Legends and W101, so...what can I expect from the latter?

Step 1 - WTF is this shit?
Step 2 - Oh ok this is awesome
Step 3 - HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Basically
4NYYYIH.jpg

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Today was my first day back to work after a one month vacation.

In the night I woke up at 2am and feeled the urge to play The Wonderful 101... for one hour, before my wife woke up and knocked some sense into my head. That's this kind of game.

EatChildren

Tis common for higher difficulties in Platinum's games to remix encounters so stronger enemies appear earlier.

Tell me about it. Just got Pikmin 3 and 101 will be incoming soon. Now I have to decide between sonic or rayman. I eventually want both but this influx is too much. Then I'd imagine WWHD is coming. I'd like to wait on that but will it still be readily available if I don't get it close to launch? Too much. Nice problem to have.

Kjellson

Did not like Operation
007-A
one bit. Major buzz kill, and from the looks of things the rest of the Operation is going to be similar. Blah.
Yeah, it was pretty disappointing, and that part where you have to dodge those spike things with that dude's yellow weapon thing was just bullshit. Also, only two levels was weird. Boss fight was great though!

Salih

i had an immense amount of fun with MGRising earlier this year but holy fukk PlatinumGames! W101 blowes every game away i played this year - and i am just a couple hours in!

It's the most dynamic game i have ever seen - shit's flying or collapsing all over the place, and you are right in between. It really punishes you when you don't pay attention. This game is definitely not user-friendly and can be frustrating for alot of people - but those who endure and are willing to adapt to this new concept of gameplay will embrace one of the finest crafted games.

Resilient

WTF at Secret Mission 007 in
005-B
. I have no idea how to take these enemies out normally, but now that I only have the
hammer
and ten dudes I can't do this...what's the secret? :(

Mistouze

WTF at Secret Mission 007 in
005-B
. I have no idea how to take these enemies out normally, but now that I only have the
hammer
and ten dudes I can't do this...what's the secret? :(

You mean the one with
3 Big Scorpios, a bunch of little ones?

If I got it right :
There are three hidden ennemy weapons in the ground you can get by hitting the hammer, you didn't buy the treasure finder upgrade for P-Star yet?

Resilient

You mean the one with
3 Big Scorpios, a bunch of little ones?

If I got it right :
There are three hidden ennemy weapons in the ground you can get by hitting the hammer, you didn't buy the treasure finder upgrade for P-Star yet?

Nah, it takes up a slot doesn't it? I think I didn't want the slot...is that the easy way to take these guys out then? Thanks heaps. I'll pick up the upgrade after this mission.

What is the best way to take out
scorpios
outside of this mission? They always give me grief with their unblockables, and I don't know how to
counter correctly even though I have it equipped
. Do you have any tips for that technique in general?

edit: just finished it now. I love you.

Mistouze

Nah, it takes up a slot doesn't it? I think I didn't want the slot...is that the easy way to take these guys out then? Thanks heaps. I'll pick up the upgrade after this mission.

What is the best way to take out
scorpios
outside of this mission? They always give me grief with their unblockables, and I don't know how to
counter correctly even though I have it equipped
. Do you have any tips for that technique in general?

edit: just finished it now. I love you.
For these guys? My only advice would be to be staying away from them, gun + multimorphs all the way.

The upgrade I'm talking about doesn't take a slot, you'll find it near the end of the list with the health stuff.

Sadist

Completed Operation 003.

Didn't care much for the rocket speeding towards the boss, it seemed to random even with good reflexes. Bossfight itself was pretty good

Still getting consolation prizes, even on easy. I have much to learn :(

Top Bottom