• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
What does changing leaders do exactly?
The leader for each Unite power will be the one who will level up the fastest, with all the others gaining exp at a slower rate when called in a Unite power.

Leveling your characters up will get you new moves for the powers, lifebar extensions and new slot for modules (not sure about the last one).

Just finished the game. Did it on normal, alternating between getting my ass kicked and not doing so bad. I've earned in total about as much consolation prizes as... silver trophies - these boss fights killed my grades !
Anyway, exceptional game. I've played through Vanquish, Bayonetta, Madworld, and a bit of Metal Gear Revengeance, and I think this might be the most fun I've had with a game from this studio, and I loved my time with the aforementioned titles !
Will replay to try to get higher grades, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Oh, and to get more secrets too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The leader for each Unite power will be the one who will level up the fastest, with all the others gaining exp at a slower rate when called in a Unite power.

Leveling your characters up will get you new moves for the powers, lifebar extensions and new slot for modules (not sure about the last one).

You're right about all of that.

Also worth noting that certain techniques can only be learned for Unite Morphs by having a certain average level among all the 101 users of that morph.

So after your main party is maxed out it's worth switching them to another character to speed up the growth of the rest of the crew in order to get more moves.

Resilient

dead after
006-b
dead dead dead so tired just drained, way too long. wouldn't be a platinum game without a long ass chapter though.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So after seeing the abysmal japanese sales, I caved in and bought this. Now where can I get the mask for my avatar?

Cosmozone

Swallowed my pride and went on despite it's raining plastic. The variety in this game doesn't cease to astound me. Never have been low sales of a game been more undeserved!

SpokkX

Really sad to say this but...

Wonderful 101 is a real disappointment

After about 12 hours I feel I can say this :(

Don´t get me wrong. It is still a really good game. Some stuff is amazingly well done such as the basic action, artwork, enemies, bosses and it is flowing with creativity. Also I have no issues with the "drawing" (use the stick mostly). I get the correct shape about 97/100 times.

It is just however not nearly as good as Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, DMC or even Okami (which imo had real issues with pacing). It is easily the most flawed Kamiya game yet imo.

The main stuff that bothers me are
1. Really hard to tell what happens sometimes. There really is nowhere for your eyes to focus sometimes and I have lost count of the times I actually lost my main character. This has made me jump into chasms, run straight into enemies etc.
Game looks cool but is night on unplayable sometimes. I just guess where I am and hold the stick to the right etc. Nowhere near the control you have in for example Bayonetta. Also many enemies attack from outside the screen!
2. A lot of QTE. Kind of like the ones in Bayonetta, only these are way more frequent and they go on for quite some time. They really makes me not want to replay sections.
3. The gamepad sections (mostly indoor stuff) where the camera and controls are among the worst I have experienced in the last couple of years. Seriously how could this pass Nintendo quaility control?! Drawing stuff feels almost buggy when on the gamepad and the camera... oh the camera. I actually thought something was really wrong more times than one. Thankfully these secions are not that frequent
4. There are invisible walls in a lot of places and it is sometimes hard to tell if you can or should go that way.
5. Platforming is awful. Since it is hard to see the tiny main character and the fast, almost digital, control in combination with a somewhat troublesome camera makes for some bad platforming sections

Kjellson

Okay, what the FUCK are you supposed to do on the final boss??

During Jeringhas planet destruction form, P-Star says to recruit more robots. But he isn't sending out any!! All he does is firing bombs and shooting lasers. :s

Edit: Nevermind. I watched a YouTube video and get it now.

_Clash_

Add me to the ranks of players that have finished the game, amazing.

9/10

really can't find much to complain about, maybe some of the gamepad sections and wonder lines getting obstructed by enemies under certain situations.

absolute disgrace if the sales don't have a long tail on this one. Destined to be a cult classic. I do believe I will tinker around with this/ replay it and attempt co-op.Replaying a game is high praise from me.

vanty

Is there any better strategy for the turtles than hit them with the hammer and dodge whenever they attack? All of their attacks just go through the guts and hammer seems to be the only way of inflicting damage but it seems a very slow and inelegant way of fighting. Not sure why you can't guts reflect the head lunge at least.

_Clash_

Is there any better strategy for the turtles than hit them with the hammer and dodge whenever they attack? All of their attacks just go through the guts and hammer seems to be the only way of inflicting damage but it seems a very slow and inelegant way of fighting. Not sure why you can't guts reflect the head lunge at least.

Hammer+ sword on the exposed neck

XDDX

Get close to them and they should try to stomp you with one leg. You can block that, then use unite hand to flip it over. Use whatever you want after that.

Mistouze

Oh boy, I suck at finding secrets in this game. Secret missions are well hidden or is it me? At least I'm getting better rankings.

For example in
Operation 004-B, how do I get behind the water curtain in the first section?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Okay, the boss fight of Operation
007-B
was really great and totally made up for the bleh beginning. That Operation still feels rushed and less well envisioned than I'd have liked, but it ended really well. I laughed out loud at the start of Operation
008-A
, with the whole
Platinum
thing. It's not even trying to be subtle.

Couple of things:

1) A lot of folk playing Bayonetta for the first time noticed how much of a homage to all things Sega it was. Lots of name drops, references, satire, and inspiration from Sega franchises. It wasn't just Platinum and Kamiya's big new game, but it was also a pat on the back for the publisher who funded it. While I won't spoil anything, I have no doubts The Wonderful 101 is exactly that for Nintendo. You'll understand when you play it.

2) I've found using Wonder Black's time bomb (is this a spoiler? it was in the trailer) works better for me as my main, in encounters I wish to use it, and instead leaving attacks open to assigned morphs. This rhythm works really well, as I have complete control over timing and direction of bomb throws, and can immediately follow up with an assortment of assigned morphs. If the time dilation drops out, all I have to do is tab a button and we're back.

Beat the boss of operation
007 (or is it 006? Anyway, the volcano level)
yesterday. Ha ha. Great homage. Was laughing my ass off sitting next to my GF screaming
IT'S PUNCH OUT!!
and she was utterly confused. :D

Also: One of
Walltha's
lines was a great nod to
MGR - revengeance!
. I love how they reference their other games like this.
Gameplay (optional skill) spoiler:
Bought hero time. Yeeeeeah there's Bayonetta in my 101 ;D

Okay, the boss fight of Operation
007-B
was really great and totally made up for the bleh beginning. That Operation still feels rushed and less well envisioned than I'd have liked, but it ended really well. I laughed out loud at the start of Operation
008-A
, with the whole
Platinum
thing. It's not even trying to be subtle.

Couple of things:

1) A lot of folk playing Bayonetta for the first time noticed how much of a homage to all things Sega it was. Lots of name drops, references, satire, and inspiration from Sega franchises. It wasn't just Platinum and Kamiya's big new game, but it was also a pat on the back for the publisher who funded it. While I won't spoil anything, I have no doubts The Wonderful 101 is exactly that for Nintendo. You'll understand when you play it.

2) I've found using Wonder Black's time bomb (is this a spoiler? it was in the trailer) works better for me as my main, in encounters I wish to use it, and instead leaving attacks open to assigned morphs. This rhythm works really well, as I have complete control over timing and direction of bomb throws, and can immediately follow up with an assortment of assigned morphs. If the time dilation drops out, all I have to do is tab a button and we're back.

I really look forward to your reaction on the grand finale. :) For me one of the best moments in gaming history.

I still prefer the time bomb on x after i marked the enemy. This way i have more control over the attacks with my main weapon like hurricane, stinger, launcher etc.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So what custom blocks are you guys using?

Speed charge is a given for me, but the other ones I'm not so sure about. Unite Charge and Hero counter seem pretty good?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I still prefer the time bomb on x after i marked the enemy. This way i have more control over the attacks with my main weapon like hurricane, stinger, launcher etc.

Actually yes, this is very good point and I'm a goddamn liar for implying I keep bombs assigned to my main morph. For the enemies where bombs are really useful, I think I like to start with the bomb assigned, lay into them for a little with X morphs and X attacks, until the enemy is good and stunned, then switch main morph to a large sword, launch them into the air, summon a fist to lay into them, maybe chain in a second mid-air launch for even higher air, then call in an X morph hammer to drop down on the falling enemy while I follow behind with tombstone.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Actually yes, this is very good point and I'm a goddamn liar for implying I keep bombs assigned to my main morph. For the enemies where bombs are really useful, I think I like to start with the bomb assigned, lay into them for a little with X morphs and X attacks, until the enemy is good and stunned, then switch main morph to a large sword, launch them into the air, summon a fist to lay into them, maybe chain in a second mid-air launch for even higher air, then call in an X morph hammer to drop down on the falling enemy while I follow behind with tombstone.

EatChildren = Saur confirmed

Speed charge is a given for me, but the other ones I'm not so sure about. Unite Charge and Hero counter seems pretty good?

Speed Charge (This is the one thats refills your battery faster, right? This really opened up my combos, should have bought it much earlier.
Hero time
Energy Converter - not sure if this one is useful..
Dodge mine - buy this, seriously.

monome

The main stuff that bothers me are
1. Really hard to tell what happens sometimes.
W101 is much more forgiving due to its hectic gameplay.
2. A lot of QTE. Kind of like the ones in Bayonetta, only these are way more frequent and they go on for quite some time. They really makes me not want to replay sections.
99% of games would present the QTE events as simple cutscenes...whereas PG took time to implement some player input -> aka never stop playing. which is good for replayability, IMO
3. The gamepad sections (mostly indoor stuff) where the camera and controls are among the worst I have experienced in the last couple of years.
already answered. like most stuff you'd point are "humm?", there is a button fix for it.
again PG* looked in pretty much all the coners of this game.
4. There are invisible walls in a lot of places and it is sometimes hard to tell if you can or should go that way.
lol. wait for Kinect + illumiroom, or buy a VR headset...walls, in a game? incredible...
5. Platforming is awful. Since it is hard to see the tiny main character and the fast, almost digital, control in combination with a somewhat troublesome camera makes for some bad platforming sections
because plateform sections are so so important in this game...and falling means a direct continue screen and takes you back to te start of the level?

Gear up soldier, it's boot camp Day1. you're not gonna get the big guns, well built muscles and swooning girls if you don't man up.

Neff

A lot of folk playing Bayonetta for the first time noticed how much of a homage to all things Sega it was. Lots of name drops, references, satire, and inspiration from Sega franchises. It wasn't just Platinum and Kamiya's big new game, but it was also a pat on the back for the publisher who funded it. While I won't spoil anything, I have no doubts The Wonderful 101 is exactly that for Nintendo. You'll understand when you play it.

I didn't realise until about halfway through that Wonder Green is lugging around a
Super Scope
in 2nd gun form.

Speed charge is a given for me, but the other ones I'm not so sure about. Unite Charge and Hero counter seem pretty good?

Speed charge is essential. Your batteries and game will frequently grind to a halt during the harder sections without it. If you're ready for it, Hero Counter can transform your game. Hero Time (when you can get it) makes life a lot easier. Unite Charge is fantastic for dealing lots of damage without having to draw a big-ass sketch.

Potential secret character spoiler: I heard that the secret character
isn't Bayonetta, but is in fact Rodin. If that's the case, it'd still be pretty awesome.

monome

Potential secret character spoiler: I heard that the secret character
isn't Bayonetta, but is in fact Rodin. If that's the case, it'd still be pretty awesome.

is that a pure platinum 100% unlock?

other topic :

can PG* patch the game so when in the menu difficulty levels can be renamed?

at this point. I truly believe renaming "very easy" to "fun, "easy" to "normal" etc... is the best course of action before the US get the game.
many people won't ever replay it. neither give it a second look after they start on normal and can't do shit.
so automatic mode as a "fun" setting rather than easy could be enticing.
same thing for easy which in these days market can pass as normal without a hint of shame.

is it eventually possible to offer some sort of items/moves start unlock for the "very easy" mode.
so player won't have to go to the menu to enhance their experience.

the bomba sales have to help drive PG to making better games.
they could start by making W101 even better in making it more accessible to players whose expactions towards gameplay and instant fun are built around what Assassin's Creed and COD have offered for some years with financial success.

EatChildren

Renaming the difficulties won't make a lick of differences in sales when there's a multitude of other issues that need addressing, the main one being at the moment that Wii U software attachment rates are fucking abysmal and have been since launch. People aren't just ignoring the Wii U. Wii U owners are ignoring Wii U software, and a vast, vast majority of it.

Besides, I think the difficulties are fine as they are. I'm very happy I picked normal. It's challenging, but fair, unless you're anal about getting high scores on your first run, but that shouldn't be a concern when picking difficulty. Otherwise it has two tiers of difficulty under it, and very easy is like Bayonetta's easiest difficulty where a ton of shit is automated. The difficulty screen descriptions paint a good picture of what people are to expect.

Anyway, finished Operation
. So much awesome.

EatChildren

Never wasn't warm! I've admired that choice from the start as it's been scattered well throughout the game, intelligently placed to mix up the pacing at the right points. My previous grievances were mostly because of how hyped the Operation
boss was from people here, and how it wasn't what I was expecting based on my own metric of super amazing boss fights in Platinum games.

The setting of the Operation
boss fight and the sheer insanity of it helped loads.

monome

Renaming the difficulties won't make a lick of differences in sales when there's a multitude of other issues that need addressing, the main one being at the moment that Wii U software attachment rates are fucking abysmal and have been since launch. People aren't just ignoring the Wii U. Wii U owners are ignoring Wii U software, and a vast, vast majority of it.

Besides, I think the difficulties are fine as they are. I'm very happy I picked normal. It's challenging, but fair, unless you're anal about getting high scores on your first run, but that shouldn't be a concern when picking difficulty. Otherwise it has two tiers of difficulty under it, and very easy is like Bayonetta's easiest difficulty where a ton of shit is automated. The difficulty screen descriptions paint a good picture of what people are to expect.

Anyway, finished Operation
. So much awesome.

your thread from yesterday really made the point that many people consider learning to play a game a bug.

I'm playing to sensibilities with renaming difficulty modes.

Joe don't play on easy kinda stuff. even tho Joe can't take 5mns to read the touchscreen infos...or browse youtube.

and Nintendo just cut the WiiU price.
it's no hasard it happens right after W101 launch in Europe. I believe the price cut was long considered, and initial reactions to a hardcore oriented game helped them press the button before they engaged their "salvage" WiiU by Xmas 2013 plan.

Mistouze

Why do we need someone to gif spoilers?
Because I'm kinda salty about the game's reception >_>

I need a 101-hug.

Joking aside I have to say I was suprised by the humor the game show's overall. Lot's of funny shit playing with the tropes of the sentais/superhero genre.

EatChildren

The more I play this, the more I'm loosing interest.

Operation
7A
was so boring.

Far and away, hands down, the worst operation act in the game. It gets better.

Neff

People aren't just ignoring the Wii U. Wii U owners are ignoring Wii U software, and a vast, vast majority of it.

A lot of Wii U owners have given up on it. Many Miiverse regulars have just vanished. The last six months of almost literally no games has done a huge amount of damage. They'll come back once the console becomes interesting again, and that's starting to happen, but this is the lowest point the Wii U has ever been in, and hopefully ever will be in.

Frodo

Will have to replay mission 005. Got consolation prizes in all missions because I died at least 3 times (maybe more) each mission until I figured out how the hell I was supposed to beat the challenges on those portal things. So easy, though. game makes me feel stupid sometimes.

I love it.

That's good to know. I may take a break, as I'm slightly burned out.

Operation
7B
was awesome thankfully. Especially the ending.

This game is pretty exhausting. You can´t play it with only half your concentration. I guess this is a major factor why many people are turned off.

kitsuneyo

I just started playing the full game and I can't seem to do the pudding block or evade. Why not? I'm getting annihilated by those shielded tank things!

I can't seem to do a multi-unite either.

Top Bottom