• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

D-e-f-

Banned
I just started playing the full game and I can't seem to do the pudding block or evade. Why not? I'm getting annihilated by those shielded tank things!

I can't seem to do a multi-unite either.

see above.

lesson? always check out every option, read everything. video games 101. (no pun intended, yes really)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Status update:

anchorman_well_that_e5hsm1.jpg

A lot of Wii U owners have given up on it. Many Miiverse regulars have just vanished. The last six months of almost literally no games has done a huge amount of damage. They'll come back once the console becomes interesting again, and that's starting to happen, but this is the lowest point the Wii U has ever been in, and hopefully ever will be in.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Working out why Platinum's games sales are all over the place is hard to decipher in the bubble that is the Wii U, because the Wii U has a major software attachment rate issue for everything. People aren't buying games, nothing has legs, and units aren't moving off shelves. Not in the least bit surprising for a system that had an embarrassingly bad run of months for releases.

It's pretty much on the holiday line-up to really kick things into gear and try and turn it around.

kitsuneyo

lesson? always check out every option, read everything. video games 101. (no pun intended, yes really)

That's not the way I play games, or do anything else for that matter :p

The defense moves should be there from the beginning, they're fundamental to the game. It's daft hiding them away like that.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah, the Wii U is like the Barman movie franchise you know. Too many bad movies, too many embarrassing moments, that when something as great as Begins came out, it took a minute before the series gained traction again.

...I think?

I just started playing the full game and I can't seem to do the pudding block or evade. Why not? I'm getting annihilated by those shielded tank things!

I can't seem to do a multi-unite either.

The timing can be overwhelming at first but you can "cheat" and do the pudding block once again if you fucked it up the first time and it can be successful.

Basically, you look for the tells of the tanks.

Right before they fire, they give off a color and even sound and you have to do the block very soon after that, almost right away.

Unless what you are talking about is different than the demo of those enemies.

Basically, I said a lot of nothing, practice makes perfect, the timing can be tricky but soon you will be blocking shit like you are returning a ping pong ball like it's a rhythm game.

kitsuneyo

The timing can be overwhelming at first but you can "cheat" and do the pudding block once again if you fucked it up the first time and it can be successful.

Basically, you look for the tells of the tanks.

Right before they fire, they give off a color and even sound and you have to do the block very soon after that, almost right away.

Unless what you are talking about is different than the demo of those enemies.

Basically, I said a lot of nothing, practice makes perfect, the timing can be tricky but soon you will be blocking shit like you are returning a ping pong ball like it's a rhythm game.

Nah I meant I literally couldn't do the moves as I hadn't realised you have to equip them :)

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah, the Wii U is like the Barman movie franchise you know. Too many bad movies, too many embarrassing moments, that when something as great as Begins came out, it took a minute before the series gained traction again.

...I think?

Haven't heard of the Barman movies.

Do they deal with alcoholism?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Just finished operation 2, this is up there with Kamiya's best. Can't believe the reviews made me hesitate even if it only was for a fraction of a second. On one hand it's like a concoction of the best ingredients from Joe, Bayo and Okami whilst still being one of the most unique games I've ever played. I'm in love.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

...I think?

lol there may be something to this though.

Audience disinterest can be a nasty thing to overcome. People become primed with negativity.

Personally I think we saw this happen with the Wii; a few years in, the 'hardcore' style games that were wanted by many did appear from time to time but I noticed most people gave up caring. I talked to several core gamer guys who owned a Wii, and would say stuff like "yeah, Muramasa looks cool, but I don't play Wii anymore". They wouldn't buy it for $10 in the bargain bin.

Unfortunately a few folks I know outside GAF who have a Wii U are extremely negative right now and it's coloring their perception. One even thinks Pikmin 3 looks great and doesn't have any current games to take up his time. But he won't try it because of a built up crust of disgust when he thinks about touching the Wii U. Won't even turn it on.

If we could actually, you know, get games in a timely fashion here in the US that'd really help too. Plus they could start marketing their stuff on channels other than ABC Family and Nickelodeon. I'm happy to finally see a stream of games coming but NOA has been screwing up repeatedly since before launch and I know a lot of us are pretty pissed about it.

Neff

Just finished operation 2, this is up there with Kamiya's best. Can't believe the reviews made me hesitate even if it only was for a fraction of a second. On one hand it's like a concoction of the best ingredients from Joe, Bayo and Okami whilst still being one of the most unique games I've ever played. I'm in love.

It only gets better. It really is Kamiya/PG's masterpiece.

While I envy anyone going into this for the first time, I'm having too much fun owning the game 2nd time through, looking for missed secrets, and putting together decimating combos and mixing assists. The flow and creativity of the combat system is just perfect. It's monstrously satisfying. I suspect this game is going to enjoy legendary reputation in the years to come.

wsippel

Banned
Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Working out why Platinum's games sales are all over the place is hard to decipher in the bubble that is the Wii U, because the Wii U has a major software attachment rate issue for everything. People aren't buying games, nothing has legs, and units aren't moving off shelves. Not in the least bit surprising for a system that had an embarrassingly bad run of months for releases.

It's pretty much on the holiday line-up to really kick things into gear and try and turn it around.
I guess that's part of why the shipments were that low: Nintendo is trying to protect the price. Good word of mouth might make the game interesting to people jumping in during the holiday season, and as long as there are no physical copies out there to hit the bargain bins, more late adopters might buy it at full price on eShop. I think that's what Nintendo hopes, at least.

Proven

All I have is the demo. And it's getting annoying have to wait through the clip art to do another try. I now know why that one jpn gamer always skipped the extra W101 people whenever he could.

Something I noticed, and maybe it's not like this in the full game, but I find that only the leader character can get attack bonuses, especially the "attack enemy while he's stunned" bonus. I'll be Green, will pudding an attack, fire a shot or two at the guy, and then send a Multi-Unite Sword homing on the stunned enemy. But I won't get any +100 bonuses from the Multi Unite's attacks. I really can't afford to stay in Green for long.

Also, I can't seem to get Green's Wonderful Stinger in Story mode like you can for Blue if you stay as him most of the time. I really want that Stinger.

Still, even without Red and Blue's Stingers either, Climb attacks are pretty useful. Especially in Mission Mode where you have no slow down. Like one time I Guts-countered one Diedough-Goo, used a Climb Attack just as the other Diedough-Goo slammed into the ground, created a big Unite Fist as I waited to hear if it'll fire a cannon ball or not, and then warped through the fire and flames to continue attacking the one I originally stunned, but with bonus damage and a special block point bonus.

Oh, and drawing a Hammer without any slow down is impossible for me right now. Ugh.

pizza dog

Banned
just caught dat OP truthbomb:

For Wii U Deluxe owners, let it ride, you probably have enough space! Also, since the game is $60, you will be getting a 10% eShop code back for the game, equating to 599 points. You can use that toward other Wii U games like

Pretty much.

Schnozberry

I'm giving the Wii U until after Mario Kart 8 drops. If sales fail to pick up then, stick a fork in it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The more you upgrade with modules from the Mart, the better it gets.

This game is god tier material, one of the best I've ever played!

The more you upgrade with modules from the Mart, the better it gets.

This game is god tier material, one of the best I've ever played!
And you're able to equip more stuff than in Bayo. I got hero counter (parry), hero time ( witch time), speed charge, Ukemi ( nullify damage with jump) and dodge mine atm. Plus all the 100 member morphs. Game is crazy deep. You can almost do every Bayo combo in tw101 as well. Except for some minor stuff.

hiro4

damn, this game is kicking my ass on normal.
I finally found the time to play this game, and I already died twice the first time I encountered the first tank.
You really have to keep an eye on everything, and it really sucks when your leader evades an attack but the rest of your team doesn't and gets knocked out. Your attack options are immediately severely limited.

Great game though, and I do feel I get better controlling the game each minute I spend in the game. Can't wait to see more of the game.

Salih

wow i just discovered that you can use the whip on the (enemy spoiler, not boss)
tail of those turtles
. makes life much easier.

You really have to keep an eye on everything, and it really sucks when your leader evades an attack but the rest of your team doesn't and gets knocked out.
well there is an evade upgrade you can buy in the shop. with that none of your teammates get knocked out even when you evade.

Fabrik

Banned
Shit I just didn't enjoy myself tonight (Two nights in a row actually :-( )
I'm starting to agree with some of the reviews. The game is a bit of a mess.
There's too much unfun enemies to fight (The turtles, the underground electric sharks, Prince Vorkken). The game is also way too chatty. And a lot of sections will be a chore to play on subsequent playthrough. The gamepad indoor sections are not very interesting so far as well. I don't think the game will be in my top 5 this year. Shit :-(

Shit I just didn't enjoy myself tonight (Two nights in a row actually :-( )
I'm starting to agree with some of the reviews. The game is a bit of a mess.
There's too much unfun enemies to fight (The turtles, the underground electric sharks, Prince Vorkken). The game is also way too chatty. And a lot of sections will be a chore to play on subsequent playthrough. The gamepad indoor sections are not very interesting so far as well. I don't think the game will be in my top 5 this year. Shit :-(
Funny, i found the underground sharks to be the easiest enemy in the game. Timebomb, Whip to pull them out, combo. Usually dead in seconds.

Time bomb with Wonder Black you mean? I haven't encountered him yet.

Exactly. Till then use unite spring (if possible with hero time) to dodge and pull them out with the whip once they show their tail. For the turtles we have some advanced techniques now (blocking the stomp, using an uppercut and then the whip) but i still use the biggest hammer possible till the red dot on top becomes visible. Then you can use everything.
Vorrken
becomes pretty easy with dodge mine, hero time and unite guts. block the hand/hammer, attack quickly and gain distance.

NotLiquid

I didn't think there was any chance in hell that Kamiya could do a better finale than he did in Bayonetta. I considered that the pinnacle as far as end-game encounters go.

I was wrong. Dead wrong. Kamiya completely outdid himself. I'm now convinced that this game is by far his masterpiece. It's insanely different and requires so much more of the player, but I don't think any game he's been behind has had the same amount of uniqueness and depth to it, as well as having such a colorful (lol) cast of characters and some moments of true witty writing, hilarious moments and heartwarming stories.

If anyone is on the fence merely because of the demo, they can't go wrong when getting this game. It is an experience of a lifetime.

By the end of the year when I revisit it again, I have a feeling I'll be convinced that it's going to sit there in my Top 5 Games of all time.

I didn't think there was any chance in hell that Kamiya could do a better finale than he did in Bayonetta. I considered that the pinnacle as far as end-game encounters go.

I was wrong. Dead wrong. Kamiya completely outdid himself. I'm now convinced that this game is by far his masterpiece. It's insanely different and requires so much more of the player, but I don't think any game he's been behind has had the same amount of uniqueness and depth to it, as well as having such a colorful (lol) cast of characters and some moments of true witty writing, hilarious moments and heartwarming stories.

If anyone is on the fence merely because of the demo, they can't go wrong when getting this game. It is an experience of a lifetime.

By the end of the year when I revisit it again, I have a feeling I'll be convinced that it's going to sit there in my Top 5 Games of all time.

What if I liked the demo more than many full games???

Will I like the full game???

:p

Fabrik

Banned
Exactly. Till then use unite spring (if possible with hero time) to dodge and pull them out with the whip once they show their tail. For the turtles we have some advanced techniques now (blocking the stomp, using an uppercut and then the whip) but i still use the biggest hammer possible till the red dot on top becomes visible. Then you can use everything.
Vorrken
becomes pretty easy with dodge mine, hero time and unite guts. block the hand/hammer, attack quickly and gain distance.

Thanks. What's hero time? I didn't see it in the mart.

NotLiquid

What if I liked the demo more than many full games???

Will I like the full game???

:p

Sometimes when playing this I felt like I was watching Gurren Lagann, in the sense that, at some moments I'll have manly tears running down my face or shivers while boasting the biggest goddamn smile ever because it's just too goddamn amazing to describe.

Great, now I'm imagining Libera Me From Hell playing over the final boss.

Sometimes when playing this I felt like I was watching Gurren Lagann, in the sense that, at some moments I'll have manly tears running down my face or shivers while boasting the biggest goddamn smile ever because it's just too goddamn amazing to describe.

Great, now I'm imagining Libera Me From Hell playing over the final boss.

I used up all my demo tries, I miss it badly but I could see myself replaying the full game more often than is sane just to collect everything but moreso just to experience more of the combat.

Unfortunately, while very good at some games, I don't see myself unlocking the coolest shit in this one but it's something to shoot for.

Breaking
the 4th wall during the bossfight
nearly killed me.

@Fabrik: Hm.. it should be there. Playing in German?

NotLiquid

Thanks. What's hero time? I didn't see it in the mart.

It's the game's version of Witch Time from Bayonetta, basically. Dodge an attack a split second before you get hit and the world around you slows down.

Not sure whether the Mart gets more items depending on your level, how much you've purchased or where you are in the game, but it showed up for me about halfway into the game.

daakusedo

I was so waiting for hero counter, 600000 O parts...
I was a bit tired to have to flee from slashing attacks, it's not monster hunter goddamn..
The bayonnetaesque introduction of female characters... Kamiya you just can't resist...

Breaking
the 4th wall during the bossfight
nearly killed me.

@Fabrik: Hm.. it should be there. Playing in German?

Also, the bit at the end when
you're firing the... ehmm...Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow (a name so awesome I had to look it up and write it down for future reference), made me completely lose it, with them with them going crazy on their controller to push the laser, as you're actually doing yourself, while the epic song with lyrics rolls on. I was actually laughing and pushing so hard on the controller, my GF in the other room though I was having some kind of seizure.
Good times.

Neff

I was wrong. Dead wrong. Kamiya completely outdid himself.

I didn't believe it either when people said the same, and... well... when you see it, and take part in it, it makes Bayo's finale, itself already an orgy of gratuitously excessive awesome, look pretty tame in comparison.

I also agree that the game is better than Bayo, and Bayo is my #2 game of this generation. It does everything Kamiya's previous game did, including many of his others, and more.

It's just perfection.

you're firing the... ehmm...Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow (a name so awesome I had to look it up and write it down for future reference), made me completely lose it, with them with them going crazy on their controller to push the laser, as you're actually doing yourself, while the epic song with lyrics rolls on. I was actually laughing and pushing so hard on the controller, my GF in the other room though I was having some kind of seizure.
Good times.

There's just no way you can't lose your shit during that moment.

Good times.

Exactly. So good.

I'm giving the Wii U until after Mario Kart 8 drops. If sales fail to pick up then, stick a fork in it.

Yes I was somewhat positive and I certainly hope they pick up, but the disastrous launch (exclusives failing to launch like Lego City, Pikmin 3 and a major franchise like Wii Sports U, 3rd party games failing to perform better - dev tools fiasco) is affecting the system perception now. At launch there was only negative news about Wii U. Like a friend of mine told me when referring to first impression in job interviews, perception is everything.
Wii U is not cool and this I am afraid will be very tough for Nintendo. The 3DS was completely different, as people just wanted games, the Wii U is the same scenario but coupled with a lot of negativity.

I hope they release something they have been working in secret around the other system's launches. The price cut was indeed a soft cut as the console is the same price with some additional items and a game.

Although a new IP is great and all, I think it would have been better to release it when safe franchises are already out on the system like MK8 and SSB.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good fucking god at the climax.

You yanks have no idea. No idea.

Top Bottom