• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Dang0

Yes I was somewhat positive and I certainly hope they pick up, but the disastrous launch (exclusives failing to launch like Lego City, Pikmin 3 and a major franchise like Wii Sports U, 3rd party games failing to perform better - dev tools fiasco) is affecting the system perception now. At launch there was only negative news about Wii U. Like a friend of mine told me when referring to first impression in job interviews, perception is everything.
Wii U is not cool and this I am afraid will be very tough for Nintendo. The 3DS was completely different, as people just wanted games, the Wii U is the same scenario but coupled with a lot of negativity.

I hope they release something they have been working in secret around the other system's launches. The price cut was indeed a soft cut as the console is the same price with some additional items and a game.

Although a new IP is great and all, I think it would have been better to release it when safe franchises are already out on the system like MK8 and SSB.

I remember 3DS having a lot of negativity around it when it first came out, people saying 3d was a gimmick, it not having two analogue sticks. I feel Wii U can get over the negativity by releasing lots of good games.

The big problem for Wii U in comparison to the 3DS is competition. The 3ds had to compete against mobile (which I feel is a totally different demographic), and Vita (and we know how that ended). The Wii U on the other hand had Xbox One and PS4 to compete with, and thats going to be its biggest hurdle.

Fandangox

How responsive is using a finger on the Gamepad's screen?

I haven't specifically used fingers in this game, so can't really say. For overall gamepad functionality its about as responsive as your average pad device. But not as precise as using the Stylus.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I wonder if anyone still uses the touchscreen after a couple of hours.

As soon as you can buy the module to speed up the right stick drawing, it becomes the superior control method.

Not very responsive at all, it's much worse than smartphones/tablets. The stylus input on the other hand is perfect, but who the heck has time to pull that thing out while playing this game?

If you're not planning on doing it right-stick style, don't bother with this game, it just doesn't work very well and must be where the negative reviews about controls came from.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

kamiyaf8uum.jpg

Defect

Just a few more weeks. Just a few more weeks. Just a few more weeks...

I'd buy the Japanese version from the eshop if I could and I prefer physical and can't understand Japanese.
I need this game.

Proven

Just a few more weeks. Just a few more weeks. Just a few more weeks...

I'd buy the Japanese version from the eshop if I could and I prefer physical and can't understand Japanese.
I need this game.

The best part would be playing the game and having the entire story in english anyway.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Good fucking god at the climax.

You yanks have no idea. No idea.
I don't know if "climax" still has a meaning in this game. Since I started it each sequence is more over the top than the previous one.

By the way I have no idea where I stand in terms of completion:
I'm fighting on the flying vessel, the level just after you saved the statue with the 2 heads boss.
. How far am I?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I don't know if "climax" still has a meaning in this game. Since I started it each sequence is more over the top than the previous one.

By the way I have no idea where I stand in terms of completion:
I'm fighting on the flying vessel, the level just after you saved the statue with the 2 heads boss.
. How far am I?
Operation 001-C? You're just getting started.

Mistouze

More like 10%-15%. Expect a playtime around 12 hours to complete it on a first run. This game has meat on its bone.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly. Till then use unite spring (if possible with hero time) to dodge and pull them out with the whip once they show their tail. For the turtles we have some advanced techniques now (blocking the stomp, using an uppercut and then the whip) but i still use the biggest hammer possible till the red dot on top becomes visible. Then you can use everything.
Vorrken
becomes pretty easy with dodge mine, hero time and unite guts. block the hand/hammer, attack quickly and gain distance.

oooh, thanks for this! I just started Operation
yesterday, and had a hard time getting combos on those bastards. (Since I presumed only hammer worked on them). Hammer is also by far the hardest thing to draw on the analogue stick for me. I get the hand instead half the time. Any tip?

yesterday, and had a hard time getting combos on those bastards. (Since I presumed only hammer worked on them). Hammer is also by far the hardest thing to draw on the analogue stick for me. I get the hand instead half the time. Any tip?

Hold forward for a sec, then do a circle like the fist. Gonna be pink at first, but keep going with the circle.

Mistouze

Yeah that technique changed my life on how to deal with these fuckers, I'm actually starting to enjoy them.

As for drawing the hammer, make sure you're doing a straight line AND THEN a circle, it should go blue then pink at the start of the circle and theeeen yellow.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hold forward for a sec, then do a circle like the fist. Gonna be pink at first, but keep going with the circle.

Yeah that technique changed my life on how to deal with these fuckers, I'm actually starting to enjoy them.

As for drawing the hammer, make sure you're doing a straight line AND THEN a circle, it should go blue then pink at the start of the circle and theeeen yellow.

thanks! I'm gonna get medieval on their asses tonight! :p

Remember that you can briefly take your finger off the stick (resetting it to neutral) mid draw and not lose the line position. So when drawing the hammer you don't need to hold a direction then awkwardly transition into circle. You can draw a line, release, draw circle, and you'll draw it right, the circle positioned on top of the line.

Once you memorise the patterns on the stick and associate them with gestures instead of fine line drawing you can summon morphs without paying attention to what shape they are on the screen.

Oh, you can do that as well? That sounds really helpful with the gun as well, which sometimes turns out a whip for me, since I tend to draw sort of a quarter circle or something :p

Again, thanks for helping a noob out everyone!

Neff

It was really erratic for me. After a couple of levels I started using the Pro Controller to fight/draw, with the Gamepad nearby for the indoor sections, and never looked back.

Game sucks.

Here's a Miiverse shot I took of the ending collage. Naturally spoils everything in the game, so don't look if you haven't finished: https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRG5YP0Lw2rBb2

Thanks, I was going to do the same. Although my life won't be complete until PG releases a 1920x1080 version.

bart64

Banned
It's responsive enough if you use a nail, but the right stick is so much easier/faster that you probably won't use the touch screen for long.
I'm curious if the gamepad will be used by any expert players. It seems that there is the potential there to be a tiny bit faster than the stick if you learn to draw the perfect shapes super quick. Maybe if you keep your finger on x and draw with the other hand...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Remember that you can briefly take your finger off the stick (resetting it to neutral) mid draw and not lose the line position. So when drawing the hammer you don't need to hold a direction then awkwardly transition into circle. You can draw a line, release, draw circle, and you'll draw it right, the circle positioned on top of the line.

Once you memorise the patterns on the stick and associate them with gestures instead of fine line drawing you can summon morphs without paying attention to what shape they are on the screen.

monome

hummm...that's well put.
I felt that, but it obviously became more of an instinctive gesture rather than me understanding the stick controls.

Bows humbly before the guys who made the controls of this game.

haikira

Played a tiny bit last night for the first time. So far, I definitely think it's a neat game =D

Was wondering if anyone who's tried the game with a Pro pad, could tell me what they think? Planning to eventually pick one up, probably around the time DKC Tropical Freeze is out, for the coop. But I may pick one up now, if any of you guys think it's good for this game. I'm having zero trouble with the WiiU pad though, was just curious.

monome

Played a tiny bit last night for the first time. So far, I definitely think it's a neat game =D

Was wondering if anyone who's tried the game with a Pro pad, could tell me what they think? Planning to eventually pick one up, probably around the time DKC Tropical Freeze is out, for the coop. But I may pick one up now, if any of you guys think it's good for this game. I'm having zero trouble with the WiiU pad though, was just curious.

indoor sections still require the pad.

that's my main reason for not getting a pro controller.

now...when the GF comes back and if she wants some Kamiya action, I'm ready to look the other way, and provide her with the appropriate tools for her enjoyment.

If you consider a Pro for DK, 3DWorld, don't hesitate.

The Pro Controller is fine for the multiplayer mission mode. There is no reason to use it instead of the Gamepad for single player though because, even ignoring the indoors/second screen segments (which you could do using the picture in picture mode on Select), the Gamepad is literally exactly the same as the Pro Controller but with a screen on it.

So yeah, co-op yes, single player no point to the Pro Controller.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
now...when the GF comes back and if she wants some Kamiya action, I'm ready to look the other way, and provide her with the appropriate tools for her enjoyment.

sounds sexy

monome

No. You can press (-) to view to screens at the same time, the indoor section and the outdoor section.

Edit: Beaten.

oh yeah. There is a fix for every fucking thing...

sounds sexy

been gone to Japan for 6 months...she comes back in 11 days!!!!
I consider asking her to come back with a white Pro controller that I can't find in france...but I definitely don't want to upset her with last minutes, games oriented errands.
even a quick trip to Yodobashi is not exactly too much to ask.

I do have sexy plans, yes. and I'm putting a lot of time on W101 ahead of her return ;-)
I'm infinitely gratefull for Eatchilren stick use remark.
tilting, releasing slightly, tilting, releasing slightly...I feel like playing W101 is a crash course on tilting after a few months of celibate.

Salih

just got Wonder White - so cool.
Also i love the environment in Operation
; looks beautiful. My favouite so far.

NotLiquid

Game sucks.

Here's a Miiverse shot I took of the ending collage. Naturally spoils everything in the game, so don't look if you haven't finished: https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRG5YP0Lw2rBb2

This put a huge smile on my face when I finished the game. Reminded me so much of Viewtiful Joe, putting this at the end of the game gave me the feeling that I had truly accomplished something awesome.

That and
dat music
had me leave it on and just contemplate how awesome of an adventure it all was. It's really been a long wait coming, and man it was worth it.

Shit I'm getting sentimental.

Neff

I just read from the Direct that Multi Unite Morph was added after the game was basically finished, on a whim, which is kind of mindblowing because it really is one of the game's best features once you start to play with it. The potential for experimentation and combo possibilites makes it comparable to Dodge Offset (which this game has too) in terms of uniqueness and depth.

Was wondering if anyone who's tried the game with a Pro pad, could tell me what they think?

The main pluses over the Gamepad are that it's more convenient (no Wiimote wires, very light), more comfortable (imo), and the batteries last like 7 times longer.

Shit I'm getting sentimental.

It's that kind of game, man. It's an explosion of developer/player love.

So you just gonna keep posting all this praise gettin me more hype? That's just what you gonna keep doing? Even though there's still 15 days, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 50 seconds left till the US release?

iQXTAWelMvh54.gif
Final climax is so hype, Haha Haha. Just you wait. :p
The game is pure fun in every aspect.

I don't know how Hashimoto can top this with Bayo 2. I mean, really.

hal9001

Banned
Almost finished the game, but I will wait a couple of days for it to sink in before I give my final verdict. So far this game is on par for contention in not only the best game of 2013 but also one of the best games ever made.

Also is anyone else playing the game zoomed out (press L shoulder button twice)? It allows you to see the surrounding level environments better and also gives you better orientation of where you're going.

Top Bottom