• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Just finished NG+.
50% achievments, still no character unlocked ;_;
The finale still leaves me wanting more of it, but I should wrap the game up for now.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
@ D-e-f

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or mocking me. :x

Almost finished the game, but I will wait a couple of days for it to sink in before I give my final verdict. So far this game is on par for contention in not only the best game of 2013 but also one of the best games ever made.

Also is anyone else playing the game zoomed out (press L shoulder button twice)? It allows you to see the surrounding level environments better and also gives you better orientation of where you're going.

Always zoomed out.

haikira

Cheers guys for the responses about the Pro pad. Think I'm gonna grab one now. But i'll probably just stick with the WiiU pad for single player.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers guys for the responses about the Pro pad. Think I'm gonna grab one now. But i'll probably just stick with the WiiU pad for single player.

worst case scenario, you're (a bit more) ready for smash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IoEko8qmiI

Speaking of Youtube videos of this game...
No wonder some people don't enjoy playing it, sheesh. On another note, I've tried pretty much everything I could think of trying to find the Kahkoo-Regah of this stage (006-A) and yeah... nothing I've tried has worked. It can't be during the cube sequence since there aren't any missions within missions, so to speak... The section afterwards has a million secrets, all of which I've found
Spike Ball Skyrocket, drawing the square shape at the leftmost section, lighting all the braziers quickly, turning the gears and entering the bottom screen room
, but Secret Mission 006 still eludes me. I'm dumbfounded.

D-e-f-

Banned
and a major franchise like Wii Sports U, 3rd party games failing to perform better

oO you are aware that no such thing as Wii Sports U exists, right?

@ D-e-f

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or mocking me. :x

I'm mocking the larger gaming community while agreeing with you.

How responsive is using a finger on the Gamepad's screen?

Stop worrying about this right now. The game is made for use with the finger. That is, if you even want to use the touch screen and don't opt for the stick-use in this game.

In general, the touch screen works wonderfully with fingers. You only need the stylus if you want to draw pictures or write something in handwriting on Miiverse.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How responsive is using a finger on the Gamepad's screen?

I think the most overlooked thing about W101 drawing is that you must take your time. Don't hurry! The game is lenient in this aspect. If you do that you should not have a big issue with the finger drawing. Of course, you might still prefer the right stick.

Sadist

Taking it slow and enjoying the ride. Completed Operation 004 and enjoyed the boss battle.

Was surprised by the the battle out of nowhere between Red and Blue, pretty cool though

Just finished. This game, man. Every time you think shit's getting real the game tells you that this isn't even its final form. Not just at the end, but the entire way through. Holy shit, this game.

Resilient

Just finished this now. Unless GTA V tops it, this is my current GOTY. I loved Power Rangers growing up as a kid so this game really resonates with me. God damn, the gameplay is just so good and the pacing was crazy. And that Finale was out of this world. Kamiya really did it this time. I have NO idea how PG can top this with Bayonetta 2. I just can't. I thought they were gonna struggle to top Bayonetta and MGR but they really nailed it with this.

If you're from the States YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF to buy this game. Absolutely fantastic. I think I put about 35 hours into it and that was my first run through of the game. Will start Hard in a few days.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
About that Power Renger reference... this review is a good read:

The Wonderful 101 vs Tokusatsu Tropes
http://www.geekedoutnation.com/videogame-reviews/the-wonderful-101-vs-tokusatsu-tropes/

“Tokusatsu is a Japanese term that applies to any live-action film or television drama that features considerable use of (tokusatsu literally translates as “special filming” in Japanese)”

Seeing you’ll here that term a lot from my I thought I’d just put it into perspective; as Platinum Games latest game Wonderful101 is both a homage, parody and all around love letter to 30+ years of Japanese Movies and television that for the most part references tropes and characters you’ll likely never have herd of before.

The closest thing most people will associate with the game will of course be Power Rangers, and even if you only have a passing familiarity with the show you’ll see it in every inch of 101 because that’s what it’s parodying 50% of the time

Wonderful 101 knows it’s not an Oscar story and runs with its central theme! Plantnum fans as well will likely find this par for the course after numerous tokusatsu inspired games over the years extending back to when they were Clover Studios. Viewtiful Joe, Vanquish, Okami and even Metal Gear Rising had their share of in jokes and references so finally making full game based around a multi coloured team of heroes must have always been on the cards for them.

There’s still more to it though… perhaps its a product of the times that a game like this can even be made and marketed as a AAA production outside of Japan. I’m sure great care was taken with pitching the game in the first place with Nintendo funding the project. In Japan tokusatsu films are bigger then ever, with multiple hitting the cinema per year and multiple franchises crossing over for big screen team ups not unlike Marvel’s Avengers. However Power Rangers has hit a revival as well, become big business again following the Saban the-wonderful-101-gifre buy of the franchise from Disney and releasing the game a mere 2 weeks before the official 20th anniversary of the show. With so much more general coverage of PR and reunions bringing back previous cast members getting main stream media attention the Wonderful 101 is capitalising on the current mainstream love of all things PR.
Knowing all this perhaps the question is “is the Wonderful 101 a game for you” well chibi-esque presentation aside the game is a challenge and makes constant references to shows you’ve never seen… but now at least herd of. It’s cheesy and feels like a Saturday morning TV show… and op top of all that its ENTERTAINING and FUN! That’s what you really should be caring about, references you’ll get or you won’t but you’ll laugh up the cheese either way. It’s a true main stream tokusatsu game and perhaps Platinum’s biggest trick is that you probably never knew.

Neff

Just finished operation 007-A, it's probably the most boring mission ever!

It's a real bastard when you start. Since you're
stripped down to only the main Wonderfuls, meaning you need every single one active in your team to be able to pull off a Dodge/Pudding/Morph, you can't afford to risk having one even knocked out
. Being asked to fight spiked enemies under such conditions is just absolute cruelty. Even the
'shred the drills with the Space Pirate guy'
part is a drag unless you're being very, very careful. It's definitely the most misery-inducing section of the game, but it has fun enemies to fight and I still like it. Nice
garish 80's gaming alieny vibe bordering on NES
look to the surroundings, too.

Just bought a Wii U to play this. Boy, I hope it's good!

It's not bad.

Neff

Is it just me or does Unite Drill Spring kind of blow? It's nice to be able to evade and attack in one, but having your entire team knocked out if you hit anything hard just isn't worth it and kind of defeats the purpose of the Spring even if coupled with Hero Time. The regular Spring at least passes through anything that isn't spikes as far as I can tell.

Andrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IoEko8qmiI

Speaking of Youtube videos of this game...
No wonder some people don't enjoy playing it, sheesh. On another note, I've tried pretty much everything I could think of trying to find the Kahkoo-Regah of this stage (006-A) and yeah... nothing I've tried has worked. It can't be during the cube sequence since there aren't any missions within missions, so to speak... The section afterwards has a million secrets, all of which I've found
Spike Ball Skyrocket, drawing the square shape at the leftmost section, lighting all the braziers quickly, turning the gears and entering the bottom screen room
, but Secret Mission 006 still eludes me. I'm dumbfounded.

That Kahkoo-Regah is a real pain to find. Basically what you need to do is:
go to the large area where you fought the giant crab.
In the bottom right corner there's some missing railing.
Draw a line out from that edge and it'll form a bridge to a platform where Wonder-Pixie is hidden.
Then draw another line to the left from that platform and you'll reach a new platform where the portal is.

Good luck getting it!

Wonder-ful wonder-ful one double 0! Love it every time that kicks in :D

Still loving the game, about to finish my second run on normal. Wanted to improve my rankings before I moved on to the different enemy set ups on hard. Ukemi is kind of ridiculous once you get the timing down. It works just like it did in VJ but it seems easier to pull off here. Now have about an 8\10 success rate on knockdowns. Anyone know if the damage you nullify still counts against you in your rank?

Wonder-ful wonder-ful one double 0! Love it every time that kicks in :D

Still loving the game, about to finish my second run on normal. Wanted to improve my rankings before I moved on to the different enemy set ups on hard. Ukemi is kind of ridiculous once you get the timing down. It works just like it did in VJ but it seems easier to pull off here. Now have about an 8\10 success rate on knockdowns. Anyone know if the damage you nullify still counts against you in your rank?

In Viewtiful Joe, health recovered by the Ukemi doesn't count against you. In fact, if you "died", and brought back to life with a Take Two, that would count as a Ukemi, and all the damage you received rendered moot.

I imagine it's similar here.

In Viewtiful Joe, health recovered by the Ukemi doesn't count against you. In fact, if you "died", and brought back to life with a Take Two, that would count as a Ukemi, and all the damage you received rendered moot.

I imagine it's similar here.

Interesting, thanks. Will have to look at it a bit more closely tonight. Was thinking that would be a bit too forgiving but I suppose if you're relying on it too much it's going to end up hurting you for time.

Kid Ying

Finished the game. Didn't left me with any sensation at all besides "Okay, i've finished the game".

A shame. I really wanted to love this. As it is, i don't think i would play an W102. The ending part was competent, but there was better parts in the game, which is a shame, since i know they tried to make the ending quite epic. As it is, the final part of operation 003 and 005, or even the final brawl against Wolken was much better in my opinion.

Jeginga wasn't a great villain at all. Gimme would do for a much better villain. The final fight felt much like a chore, but i think i didn't fought him as it should be and that made the fight much more harder and longer.

In the end, it wasn't what i thought it would be. It's not a great game, but not a bad game. It's an okay game and i think i would go with an 75 to 80 score. A shame, cause i expected much more from Kamiya, but it was worth the money.

Maybe i'll try to collect all the bottlecaps. Finding the other wonder heroes was the best part of the game. So much uniqueness. Very fun.

LocalE

I didn't believe it either when people said the same, and... well... when you see it, and take part in it, it makes Bayo's finale, itself already an orgy of gratuitously excessive awesome, look pretty tame in comparison.

I also agree that the game is better than Bayo, and Bayo is my #2 game of this generation. It does everything Kamiya's previous game did, including many of his others, and more.

It's just perfection.

There's just no way you can't lose your shit during that moment.

Not to be overly pedantic, but Bayonetta would be your number 2 game of last generation, assuming your number 1 game is actually from last generation as well. Maybe Bayonetta 2 can get on your list of favorite games of this generation, alongside W101.
Anyways, 101 looks like a hell of a game to be showing up this early in the generation - now I just gotta wait for the 15th to play it.!

Cosmozone

In the middle of part 4 now. Now, that's a bit relaxing. Man, Vorkken gave me some trouble. I even had an okay strategy for the fight, only the execution was the problem. Good that the game is still motivating for a guy like me that isn't all that good at gaming. Heh, there was this fight afterwards with very simple mechanics but fast paced and I sucked at it, too. 4B exit boss was pretty lame but at least easy.

Neff

Not to be overly pedantic, but Bayonetta would be your number 2 game of last generation, assuming your number 1 game is actually from last generation as well. Maybe Bayonetta 2 can get on your list of favorite games of this generation, alongside W101.
Anyways, 101 looks like a hell of a game to be showing up this early in the generation - now I just gotta wait for the 15th to play it.!

If you mean we're 'in' 'next' gen due to the release of Wii U (and I agree, but I didn't want to confuse, complicate or even irritate), then W101 is absolutely my favourite game of this gen. Bayo is my #2 behind RE6 of the previous.

Personally I think W101 is going to be very hard to top, even by PG themselves. It's absolutely everything I want out of a game and more.

I've just reached the last chapter on my 2nd playthrough, but I'm leaving it saved for later. I'm exhausted and I need to be ready for all of... that.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
3B, spinning corridor, fire wall at the end, what do I do?

Edit: nvm, miiverse > gaf for these things ;)

Kouriozan

So... I finished it....
I...omg...this game...wow...THIS GAME!
It was too much for me, I cried. I hope new Wii U owner will have the chance to play it, and finish it!

Ukemi is kind of ridiculous once you get the timing down. It works just like it did in VJ but it seems easier to pull off here. Now have about an 8\10 success rate on knockdowns. Anyone know if the damage you nullify still counts against you in your rank?
It doesn't. I took a hit from an enemy and Ukemi'd out of it and the battle result said I took 0 damage which went together with my shiny Pure Platinum rank.

Top Bottom