• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/373581904106487808

BS86wykIQAIKbdy.jpg:large

Fucking awesome.

Just bought a signed copy on ebay. Little more then I wanted but figured... If I had actually flown to PAX and went on vacation, it would have costed me more! Go figure! This is how much I love Platinum games! Will go nicely with my Anarchy Reigns, Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising.

Proven

Just bought a signed copy on ebay. Little more then I wanted but figured... If I had actually flown to PAX and went on vacation, it would have costed me more! Go figure! This is how much I love Platinum games! Will go nicely with my Anarchy Reigns, Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising.

You never got an autographed MadWorld? For shame.

JPKellams

Wow. Already on eBay? You didn't have to pay too much did you?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If fucking ViewtifulJC gets a copy before me I hope it takes 16 goddamn days to ship

Kokonoe

Banned
All right. I just played the demo and I have to say, I was genuinely having fun at first, but I got a slight bit annoyed in certain moments where the difficulty seemed to spike, or the mechanics around certain things. The game is confusing at first, like really confusing, but that doesn't really matter to me much as I felt like I was playing something new so it felt nice trying to learn the controls. I think this game could definitely use a bit more work in terms of mechanics and it's tutorials, though. The team mechanic is pretty confusing to me, and I found it better to just spam A and X then trying to draw lines for team moves. I also had an issue with dodging. Not sure if I'm missing something, but it's like there's no real way to dodge attacks and the robots like to sucker punch you real quick. I guess the shield counts, but not exactly what I mean. I just found myself getting whooped repeatedly in certain parts cause it felt like I couldn't do much but run around.

I did enjoy how you can swap between characters, and the game kind of reminds me of Pikmin if it were more action based. One part where bombs drop on you felt kind of cheap as it's hard to determine your initial hitbox at first, but it wasn't too bad. I didn't care for this one moment near a sky scraper when you do the shield QTE and after you beat the little mini mission, it doesn't indicate what you're suppose to do and you have tons of cars falling all over you. I almost died until I walked to the corner and it finally flagged the completion.

I probably made a mistake of selecting normal difficulty for my first playthrough, so I'd suggest anyone who tries the demo to pick an easier setting. I'm probably just not understanding how the game works or how you're suppose to play it, but the game didn't exactly help me understand. Most of what I learned was from experimenting.

Anyhow, it is fun, I just wish I understood it better.

PKrockin

I also had an issue with dodging. Not sure if I'm missing something, but it's like there's no real way to dodge attacks and the robots like to sucker punch you real quick. I guess the shield counts, but not exactly what I mean. I just found myself getting whooped repeatedly in certain parts cause it felt like I couldn't do much but run around.

RZ is the dodge button. I'm not sure if you get invincibility but it worked very well for me.

I didn't care for this one moment near a sky scraper when you do the shield QTE and after you beat the little mini mission, it doesn't indicate what you're suppose to do and you have tons of cars falling all over you. I almost died until I walked to the corner and it finally flagged the completion.

It indicates what you're supposed to do in the cutscene. Wonder Red uses the shield to protect himself from the blast so all you have to do is point the shield in the direction of the falling cars.

Adaren

Someone many pages ago commented that digital load times were noticeably better than disk load times, but I haven't heard any other comments on the topic. Are disk load times slow? How much faster are digital load times?

All right. I just played the demo and I have to say, I was genuinely having fun at first, but I got a slight bit annoyed in certain moments where the difficulty seemed to spike, or the mechanics around certain things. The game is confusing at first, like really confusing, but that doesn't really matter to me much as I felt like I was playing something new so it felt nice trying to learn the controls. I think this game could definitely use a bit more work in terms of mechanics and it's tutorials, though. The team mechanic is pretty confusing to me, and I found it better to just spam A and X then trying to draw lines for team moves. I also had an issue with dodging. Not sure if I'm missing something, but it's like there's no real way to dodge attacks and the robots like to sucker punch you real quick. I guess the shield counts, but not exactly what I mean. I just found myself getting whooped repeatedly in certain parts cause it felt like I couldn't do much but run around.

I did enjoy how you can swap between characters, and the game kind of reminds me of Pikmin if it were more action based. One part where bombs drop on you felt kind of cheap as it's hard to determine your initial hitbox at first, but it wasn't too bad. I didn't care for this one moment near a sky scraper when you do the shield QTE and after you beat the little mini mission, it doesn't indicate what you're suppose to do and you have tons of cars falling all over you. I almost died until I walked to the corner and it finally flagged the completion.

I probably made a mistake of selecting normal difficulty for my first playthrough, so I'd suggest anyone who tries the demo to pick an easier setting. I'm probably just not understanding how the game works or how you're suppose to play it, but the game didn't exactly help me understand. Most of what I learned was from experimenting.

Anyhow, it is fun, I just wish I understood it better.

You should watch the saur video. Also there are abilities you can purchase in the main game like autoblock that may help you

Someone many pages ago commented that digital load times were noticeably better than disk load times, but I haven't heard any other comments on the topic. Are disk load times slow? How much faster are digital load times?

The load times are quite long at the beginning of a stage (30sec) but you get a screen where you can beat up some dudes (think bayonetta)

once you entered a stage there is no loading

Bah..on Chapter 2 I think. Just got
Wonder Green

Trying to open the door in (Mission 008)
Arrow Heads, but it's driving me nuts. I have to do something with the glowing baseball
but cant figure it out >.>

What's the best strategy with little enemies? Auto unite gun? Auto unite sword? Keep pressing Y? Because I think I take more damage and distractions by those tiny little things

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
stupid question time: do you have to spa. the team attack button or how does that work?

Salih

stupid question time: do you have to spa. the team attack button or how does that work?

Yeah you pretty much spam it till the enemy starts glowing or something (you will notice a difference) - then you know that you can start juggling him. However sometimes you have to fullfill certain conditions so that it works (like f.ex. you need to destroy those shields of those tanks first before you do the team attack). Keep in mind if you don't have a lot of heroes with you and you use them all for the team attack then you can barely draw a morph.
Also in the shop you can buy an upgrade for the team attack which is very helpful and you don't need to spam the team attack button like a maniac anymore.

Torraz

I'm at the end of operation 2.

Currently I only have the hero counter block, and the unite guts and unite dodge thingy morphs.

What upgrades should I go for next?

Skills? Unite morphs? Blocks?

Salih

I'm at the end of operation 2.

Currently I only have the hero counter block, and the unite guts and unite dodge thingy morphs.

What upgrades should I go for next?

Skills? Unite morphs? Blocks?

you should get faster drawing asap and you should get used to it.

Unite Tombstone is a great finisher while you're juggling an enemy in the air. I use it very often and it is powerful.

blocks: Speed Charge so your enegy bar refills faster and maybe (after you beat Op002) Unite Charge - with that you just press and hold down A to enlarge your unite morph more faster than just drawing it.

Torraz

you should get faster drawing asap and you should get used to it.

Unite Tombstone is a great finisher while you're juggling an enemy in the air. I use it very often and it is powerful.

blocks: Speed Charge so your enegy bar refills faster and maybe (after you beat Op002) Unite Charge - with that you just press and hold down A to enlarge your unite morph more faster than just drawing it.

Awesome, thanks.

I was actually eyeing the faster drawing skill and the tombstone morph.

disap.ed

So I finally found some time to try out the Demo.

Unfortunately the game doesn't seem to REALLY be Off-TV compatible.
I think it was in Mission003 where there is a warehouse where you have to set the numbers, this is pretty much impossible to do with Off-TV.
Or I am doing something wrong?

Neff

Press - to get picture in picture on your TV for indoor sections.

Finished this for the second time yesterday. I just cannot heap enough praise on this game. This love is for life, I think.

NIN90

So I finally found some time to try out the Demo.

Unfortunately the game doesn't seem to REALLY be Off-TV compatible.
I think it was in Mission003 where there is a warehouse where you have to set the numbers, this is pretty much impossible to do with Off-TV.
Or I am doing something wrong?
Press Select a few times. It will cycle through display modes, including a picture-in-picture mode.

Using Unite Gun with the Stinger input lets you stun enemies as if using the team attack, and it makes your combo multiplier skyrocket. I only use the team attack vs enemies that disable your unites or when I have to use something else as my primary (Unite Bomb, vs fast enemies, for instance).

I must admit, I don't really have my eye on the Wii U, but this game and pikmin look good - but if theres no price drop in Australia, then I still wont get one.

Proven

Yeah you pretty much spam it till the enemy starts glowing or something (you will notice a difference) - then you know that you can start juggling him. However sometimes you have to fullfill certain conditions so that it works (like f.ex. you need to destroy those shields of those tanks first before you do the team attack). Keep in mind if you don't have a lot of heroes with you and you use them all for the team attack then you can barely draw a morph.
Also in the shop you can buy an upgrade for the team attack which is very helpful and you don't need to spam the team attack button like a maniac anymore.

Well, you can team attack the tanks anyway as long as you continually circle around them while hitting the team attack button. It's the fastest way to kill them if you don't want to wait for them to attack first, especially if you have Formation Charge.

What's the best strategy with little enemies? Auto unite gun? Auto unite sword? Keep pressing Y? Because I think I take more damage and distractions by those tiny little things

From the demo, and from one of Saur videos, I usually draw a Gun in small spaces, and a sword in large spaces. If I have enough dudes, I'll Climb Attack a group from a far and then throw a large Multi Unite Sword in their direction. Otherwise you can try the 360-sword attack.

Subaru

Oh God I hate to live in Brazil
All I want now is an autographed copy of The Wonderful 101! =(

I won't buy the 99 USD copy from ebay for just 3 reasons:

1) It won't be delivered before the digital version is available - and I wanna play ASAP;
2) USD 99 + shipping it will be to expensive ( I would pay it if all the money was going to PG, but not to a random guy)
3) He doesn't ship to Brazil

hal9001

Banned
My weekly control post XD

Any youtube videos adressing the "suposed"control isues and screen drawing vs stick drawing?

Regarding the screen drawing vs stick drawing debate here is what Hideki Kamiya thought on the matter (Eurogamer interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-30-the-wonderful-kamiya)

It's those inputs, carried out either on the GamePad's touchscreen or on its right stick, that have been the subject of most criticism.

"I can only really speculate about the problems that people are having, or why they're having them," says Kamiya. "But if I do speculate, I'll start by recognising that the game's really for core gamers - though there are elements that make it accessible. Personally, I find that using the stick is something more suited to the hardcore gamers, because if you take time to look down at the screen you lose time. If you're hardcore, use the stick and it'll be better - the screen's for people who aren't quite as hardcore."

hmm about the stick and screen issue

i tend to use the screen for the QTE things. you will use a bit more time but you will draw a perfect shape.

for battle I only use the sticks and also only the things i can draw in a simple manner (which is definately the sword) unless the game forces me to use a specific power.

Top Bottom