• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Apparently they are showing the prototype of the game at PAX.

I bet if they showed off the Nintendo version (that i assume didn't even have gameplay) there would be frothing demand for that as the sequel, and we'd actually get a sequel.

KDR_11k

Is there anyway to retry a mission without being sent back to the operation select menu? It would make it easier to get better ranks if so >.>

Also, game glitched during the first boss, I had its health down to zero but it never triggered the next events with building its eyes and so... Kinda frustrating as I was doing much better than the first time I fought it...

You need 100 characters to build the eye. I reached that point with only 90, the solution is to attack the other head to make it spit out another gachapon ball.

Torraz

You need 100 characters to build the eye. I reached that point with only 90, the solution is to attack the other head to make it spit out another gachapon ball.

I had problems even with 100. What helped for me was to let go of the right stick during the build process 1-2 times for a milisecond.

Vishnu

Holy crap this is game is brilliant.
Sorry for not adding anyhing usefull to this topic, but I really feel Platinum made a better Nintendo game than Nintendo has this past couple of years.

It just is the most fun I had in a long time.

I only wish there was like a super easy mode, like there was with Bayonetta, so I could let my little cousins play and watch them go beserk on how awesome this game is.

And I only just finished Operation 002....

At first Im was like what the hell is going on? And after a while I was just grinning ear to ear on how much fun I was having.
I still suck at comboing everything, but that really doesn't matter too much for me.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If someone wants to know what's cool about miiverse: it took hours for this explanation to appear on GAF. I was stuck at the exact same location. and I got this answer on miiverse in less than 2 minutes.

Sadist

Completed it. Man, what a great ride it is.

The controls take a few moments to click, but man when it does, it's amazing. It's fun and challenging to boot. I love the amount of Nintendo references in the game. The final boss,
the big Jerk is essentially Father Brain
and awesome awesome 5th boss fight. The final battle was pretty funny too
Everyone was buttonmashing, even the characters in Platinum Robo hehe

One of the funnest game I've played this year, handsdown

Salih

I am not kidding when i say that after finishing Op006-B i had the thought that this might be even better than Bayo-fukkin-netta.

It is just mindblowing how MANY suprises are in this game. The second half of this game feels like i am playing the sequel.

I think i need a short timeout before i completely faint.

Alrus

Nah I'm pretty sure I had 100 character, the boss hp went to zero then nothing happened, it stopped attacking, I wailed on it for a good 5 minutes (had a x8.smth multiplier) but nothing was happening. It's like some script failed to trigger or something.

Edit: Or maybe I didn't, but considering I kept beating on the head and it never spit another gachapon ball, I don't think that was it.

Anteo

I am not kidding when i say that after finishing Op006-B i had the thought that this might be even better than Bayo-fukkin-netta.

It is just mindblowing how MANY suprises are in this game. The second half of this game feels like i am playing the sequel.

I think i need a short timeout before i completely faint.

So this IS Kid Icarus Uprising II.. interesting...
Whish I could get it day one, but I'm short on money

Alrus

Paying over 100 bucks to get a game 14 days earlier seems a bit shortsighted. I mean if it was signed it would have more value...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Paying over 100 bucks to get a game 14 days earlier seems a bit shortsighted. I mean if it was signed it would have more value...

Yeah fuck that. I have like 30 dollars in credit on it at gamestop.

I'd pay 70-80 in advanced(before they paid money for it) to a gaffer for a signed copy. (shipping included) but no more than that and only to someone on NeoGaf

Fuck ebay scalpers though. I can wait 2 weeks and just pick up my retail one rather than reward that kinda shit.

Some of the masks are on ebay though and looking kinda tempting lol

Holy crap this is game is brilliant.
Sorry for not adding anyhing usefull to this topic, but I really feel Platinum made a better Nintendo game than Nintendo has this past couple of years.

It just is the most fun I had in a long time.

I only wish there was like a super easy mode, like there was with Bayonetta, so I could let my little cousins play and watch them go beserk on how awesome this game is.

And I only just finished Operation 002....

At first Im was like what the hell is going on? And after a while I was just grinning ear to ear on how much fun I was having.
I still suck at comboing everything, but that really doesn't matter too much for me.

There is a very easy mode. Its prertty easy in comparison to the other modes

If I pay early from some eBay dude, that's money Platinum games won't get when I buy it new(with a $28 dollar GameStop credit shoutouts to trade-ins)

Oh yea, since Nintendo is releasing that Wii U themed WW sku in the 20th. Why don't give a good surprise in America and release the game in the first week of september?

You know space out those releases a little so the WW101 gets it's time to shine a bit.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If I pay early from some eBay dude, that's money Platinum games won't get when I buy it new(with a $28 dollar GameStop credit shoutouts to trade-ins)

It's like doubling the sale. I buy one and the ebay scalper is gonna have to hold that one and give PG +1 sale for something they didn't even want.

and yes shoutouts to trade-ins. If they still give discounts on the guides when you pick it up with the game shoutouts to that shit too

Alrus

I was thinking about how this game is suprisingly light on tutorials for a Nintendo game... Even Bayo had more tutorials than this.

This game throws you in action without even teaching you about dodging and blocking, it's kind of a strange decision (same with not giving said Dodge and block from the beginning, I think that's a mistake tbh).

Oh also, dumb question, but the badge easy mode gives you automatically, what does it actually do? I removed it right away...

This game is unbelievable. It really is Kid Icarus 2.

But there are some minor problems:

- I died like 4 times with the last boss of Operation 003 beacuase "Wonder Jump" was stupid. Feels unpolished

- you can't parry those turtles' heads!

- when you run out of power you can't switch between characters, am I suposed to select them with the Gamepad? lol

and other little details that I didn't like.

But Wonderful 101 is the most fresh thing I played in years, Platinum used the gamepad far better than Nintendo (seriously, mindblowing) and making combos is always satisfiyng. THAT hammer-ending!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about how this game is suprisingly light on tutorials for a Nintendo game... Even Bayo had more tutorials than this.

This game throws you in action without even teaching you about dodging and blocking, it's kind of a strange decision (same with not giving said Dodge and block from the beginning, I think that's a mistake tbh).

I'm kinda thinking the bottlecaps will be like Bayonetta trophies. Bayonetta tutorialized alot of its mechanics through those instead of intrusive explanations during the main game. (highlighting things like dodge offset, perfect parries, enemy step) etc.

I think there's just so much to teach that bringing them all to the attention of the player at once would be sort of option overload.

but I haven't played so I can't say for sure.

Oh also, dumb question, but the badge easy mode gives you automatically, what does it actually do? I removed it right away...

I'm guessing it's like the marionette accessory in Bayonetta. Where equipping it turns on "automatic mode" where the game does combos for you with just one button press. You could unequip it in Very Easy and Easy mode to just play regularly vs the weaker enemies.

iuPPTn6RK5Cr1.jpg

Thanks PG for doing this! Best PAX ever!

popyea

Played this game until my eyes were watering. Seemed appropriate to have tears streaming down my face as I finished off the 003 boss though. So damn spectacular.

Has anyone figured out if you can keep practicing in the loading area like in Bayo?

Bought the game yesterday. Just beat 001-B. Spent around 90 mins. That image floating around is pretty accurate: Wat...

I mean, I'm sure that game will click sooner or later. But as of now I have no idea what I'm doing, sometimes I die, sometimes I win, sometimes my health goes down, sometimes it goes up, sometimes I can morph sometimes I can't.

It's one thing for a game to be hard, I don't mind that(Hey I faced Fire Leo and kicked his fiery butt!), but it's been a long time since I have seen a game this inaccessible. I can defintely see where the low sales are coming from besides Wii U being in the gutter.

I really dig the nonsensical, wacky plot, it's just too bad that the gameplay feels the same, especially more so when others are praising the depth of it.

So it's not really a negative first impression, but it isn't exactly postive either. It's just wat...

I assume that the gameplay will make more sense as I unlock more morphs and skills(that you buy in the shop? wtf were they thinking having the parry and dodge in shop and not available from the get-go, or introduced in-game...)

Neff

You'll notice that the Pudding (parry) and Spring (dodge) in the shop both have P-Star next to them, indicating his recommendation. And they're both extremely cheap, you can buy both with ease after the prologue ends, so it's not like the game is withholding them.

My advice for the beginner is use the sword's range (bigger is better) against the small guys because they can be a confusing nuisance if you don't keep your eye on them, and use the punch's strength against single enemies. Be wary of enemies near the edge of the screen, and get a feel for the timing of enemy attacks.

Get the Speed Charge as soon as you can afford it.

Alrus

I assume that the gameplay will make more sense as I unlock more morphs and skills(that you buy in the shop? wtf were they thinking having the parry and dodge in shop and not available from the get-go, or introduced in-game...)

Yeah as I said, I think that's a mistake. They should have given them to you and added a small tutorial for it. Because the game feels awful if you don't have them anyway. Not very newcomer friendly move.

Cosmozone

Bought the game yesterday. Just beat 001-B. Spent around 90 mins. That image floating around is pretty accurate: Wat...

I mean, I'm sure that game will click sooner or later. But as of now I have no idea what I'm doing, sometimes I die, sometimes I win, sometimes my health goes down, sometimes it goes up, sometimes I can morph sometimes I can't..)
Yeah, it's confusing at first until you've figured the most important stuff out. You control only the leader and only the leader takes real damage. Some slomo will kick in when that happens. One thing I had especially trouble with is that most fast attacks are very hard to dodge by simply running away. Using the dodge move it's a piece of cake. Similar problems with attacking. Going in an infight blindly will almost always result in a devastating counterattack you can't calculate if and when it comes. What you have to do is to create a time window for closeup combat by ranged attacks first.

The morph line's length at your disposal is dependent on the number of people you have. Knocked out Wonderfuls don't count so e.g. after a big attack that took out most of your people you'll be having trouble using any morph ability until enough people have stood up again.

Proven

Yeah as I said, I think that's a mistake. They should have given them to you and added a small tutorial for it. Because the game feels awful if you don't have them anyway. Not very newcomer friendly move.

I feel like it's part of a tutorial for the shop, without the usual handholding that goes along with such things (Hey, here's how you go to the shop! Go to the shop! Here's how you buy things! Hey buy this thing!).

They even make it so you can buy almost nothing other than Guts and Spring. And if you ignore the score at the end of each mission, you can treat it like a 3D action brawler that you continually trade blows with, and can use healing items to avoid game overs.

Rodin's
hammer has unique properties, so it might be considered a unique morph just for that alone.
Bayonetta
could just be a gun user.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Rodin's
hammer has unique properties, so it might be considered a unique morph just for that alone.
Bayonetta
could just be a gun user.

Don't all the secret characters have unique properties to their morphs?

Xav

I just finished Operation 5 and boy let me tell you guys, the "journalists" reviewing this game got it COMPLETELY wrong. This game is fucking incredible!

Frodo

I got a glitch on operation 005-c.

In the end on that part where you
are controlling the ship and the boss is throwing boulders at you, for some reason,
the slow-motion triggered and I had to go through the whole sequence in slow motion. Lol

I just finished Operation 5 and boy let me tell you guys, the "journalists" reviewing this game got it COMPLETELY wrong. This game is fucking incredible!

Yeah, seems to be the consensus here and very likely how I will feel about when I actually get to play the full game.

I mean a few here say it's just ok or whatever but most think it's special.

Top Bottom