• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

mrmickfran

I have a question, is there any way to change the options so that when an enemy kills you, they go back to full health, as opposed to them maintaining the same amount of health from they killed you?

I miss that from Devil May Cry :(, it helps me learn the combat system a lot more.

Exile20

Brian Davis @GameplayDev

The Wonderful 101 sold through each day's allotment very quickly at #PAX! Great exclusive promo @kitosan @gcnstorm @NintendoAmerica!

Proven

I finally started yesterday. I was only planning to do a mission or two and I ended up doing four. The game does a great job at making you feel like there's pressure to press on as fast as you can, even though you can totally take your time if you'd like. I alternated a bit between using the right stick and drawing on the pad. The gamepad seems more accurate and faster thus far, but I can imagine that mastering the stick reaps bigger benefits in the long run. The systems seem to allow for really fast and versatile play. I've seen people link Saur's vids a couple of time now and I was wondering if they are worth checking out on my first playthrough, or if I should wait?

I've only had one small issue thus far, but I'm willing to admit this was my own doing. In one of the first chapters when your third Coloured character showed up , the game wanted me to
pick up a giant bomb and shoot it back at a giant canon. The prompt told me what to do, I could not seem to wrap my head around how to actually do this. Turned out the issue was that I kept putting the gun away after using it.

I was also a little worried I was going to miss a big part of the presentation's experience, since I'm not very familiar with the style of these type of TV-shows and movies. Thus far I can recognise that there's a lot of tropes and parodying going on, but it's very easy to digest and pretty entertaining. It's all over the top and corny, but in a delightful way.

In short, I've been having a blast and can't wait to jump back in tonight.
Saur has been making his videos as spoiler free as possible. While he takes scenes from multiple levels in the game, all of the enemies in the videos are enemies you'll see in Operation 1-A and 1-B, with the exception of one enemy from Operation 2-A.

I thought I missed something as I was doing something wrong, but now I got it, and it's very useful :)

Yea he could maybe slow down the text bubbles. It's tough reading them fast enough before it switches to the next one.
Just remember you can pause the video.

just wanted to ask if theres been an update on people doing combo videos of wonderful 101 yet?
Nope. Best you get are clips in Saur's videos.

Cosmozone

Operation 8, here I come. The last bossfight was cool in various ways. I like how some of the bossfights also have a share of humour. The story also gets really melodramatic occasionally, but still feels like a parody of sorts.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So I tried the mission mode and discovered we can unlock new missions as we complete the first ones! This mode is just as good as the main one, pure arcade bliss. I'm in love.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Bought all the stuff in the shop but I didn't get capsule for getting all the modules, is there one that unlocks after completing the game on Hard?

Argh, finding all the underground treasures is a nightmare.

Obscure treasure locations:
003-B has at least two of them during Unite Jump sections. Yeah... This game.

Cosmozone

Something funny from Miiverse:
9ksqf.png

Salih

Finished! Done! Over! That was the most amazing exhilarating enthralling gripping thrilling furious turbulent impetuous ending ever. I'm at a loss for words!
My reaction for like 10mins nonstop because of pure epicness:

Kamiya you did it - you outperformed yourself ... you magnificent bastard!

daakusedo

Wouldn't have thought but all my problems lately have been solved by off tv play. I was a bit off, not reacting to enemies, I wasn't feeling them so practically missing all their attacks animations and getting those plastic ranking... Now I was just right into the game even pure platinuming two t-rexs with swords and getting gold rank on op 7 and 8, so I guess I need to play closer to the tv for this game. Ukemi was still a problem though, not seeing my leader with all the other heroes falling, it's kinda hard to do.

Man i just realized that this game is really jam packed contentwise to no end.
One operation has three parts and each part is as long as a bayonetta chapter. It has 9 operations so thats pretty mcuh twice as many chapters as bayonetta. On top of that you also have a mission mode too.

Proven

Wouldn't have thought but all my problems lately have been solved by off tv play. I was a bit off, not reacting to enemies, I wasn't feeling them so practically missing all their attacks animations and getting those plastic ranking... Now I was just right into the game even pure platinuming two t-rexs with swords and getting gold rank on op 7 and 8, so I guess I need to play closer to the tv for this game. Ukemi was still a problem though, not seeing my leader with all the other heroes falling, it's kinda hard to do.

I was actually about to post how infuriated I was getting by Let's Plays of other, non Wonderful 101 games and how the players could easily tunnel vision if they didn't catch themselves. W101 places you at the helm of 100 guys and you're still outgunned. You need a lot of awareness in both sight and sound...

pulsemyne

Having just finished this all I can say is....Wonderful. The entire end sequence/ Chapter is utterly amazing. It is criminal for people to neglect this game. It's simply one of best games I have ever played.
God damn that ending was fantastic.

Dartastic

Argh, there's a group of citizens with a W101 on it in the first real level after you go into that portal thingie in the ground to the right of the bridge, and I have no idea how to get to there. UGHGHGHGH.

...also, one drawback to having the game early is I can't post to Miiverse. =(

Proven

Argh, there's a group of citizens with a W101 on it in the first real level after you go into that portal thingie in the ground to the right of the bridge, and I have no idea how to get to there. UGHGHGHGH.

...also, one drawback to having the game early is I can't post to Miiverse. =(

Near the end of Operation 1-A, right?

Complete the mission after the bridge with the two Hoe-Downs, and cross artillery ridden street. After you finish that mission you can either go right for the final mission, or go left. If you go left, you'll find a broken bridge. Unite Chain your way across, and you'll find a burning building. Unite Hand with a pro double jump, or Unite Rocket, will get you to the top.

Dartastic

Near the end of Operation 1-A, right?

Complete the mission after the bridge with the two Hoe-Downs, and cross artillery ridden street. After you finish that mission you can either go right for the final mission, or go left. If you go left, you'll find a broken bridge. Unite Chain your way across, and you'll find a burning building. Unite Hand with a pro double jump, or Unite Rocket, will get you to the top.
Yep!
Managed to get there, but not sure how to get to the top, even though you just told me how to. Hah. Unite Rocket? Waaaat. Also what's this unite hand with a pro double jump thing?

Alrus

Yep!
Managed to get there, but not sure how to get to the top, even though you just told me to. Hah. Unite Rocket? Waaaat. Also what's this unite hand with a pro double jump thing?

Unite hand makes you immune to fire, then you can get on top with a well timed double jump.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Are we going to use this thread for the US release or is there going to be a new one?

Also, THIS WAIT IS KILLER! GAH!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The US is still waiting, huh? What a shame. Might spend that time writing another review, or playing through the game three more times.

Because it's so good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dick.

Where does it rank for you among all Platinum Games???

Probably too early to say but that doesn't stop people.

Good, if difficult question. Uhm. Shit. I liked it more than Revengeance, which until TW101 was my favourite game of the year so far. It's better than Max Anarchy and MadWorld, if just for the sake of being a longer, more complete and fleshed out game, reasoning that stands over Revengeance too.

I love Vanquish and Bayonetta. Vanquish loses points for a story that takes itself a bit too seriously for my liking, and the game lacking the content of Bayonetta and TW101. Really, it comes down to those two. I think Bayonetta is a deeper game purely in mechanical complexity, but TW101 gets points for mechanics that are very, very original. Bayonetta also suffers from its diversion, gimmicky segments not always playing very well, whereas TW101 is littered with diversions that all play great. Bayonetta kind of focuses almost 100% on the core battle system, while TW101 makes a bigger effort to diversify the scenarios. So I'm not going to pick a favourite on the principle of it being too difficult, and TW101 so recent.

My review is here, if you're interested: http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/wii-u/wonderful-101/ Spoiler free.

Good, if difficult question. Uhm. Shit. I liked it more than Revengeance, which until TW101 was my favourite game of the year so far. It's better than Max Anarchy and MadWorld, if just for the sake of being a longer, more complete and fleshed out game, reasoning that stands over Revengeance too.

I love Vanquish and Bayonetta. Vanquish loses points for a story that takes itself a bit too seriously for my liking, and the game lacking the content of Bayonetta and TW101. Really, it comes down to those two. I think Bayonetta is a deeper game purely in mechanical complexity, but TW101 gets points for mechanics that are very, very original. Bayonetta also suffers from its diversion, gimmicky segments not always playing very well, whereas TW101 is littered with diversions that all play great. Bayonetta kind of focuses almost 100% on the core battle system, while TW101 makes a bigger effort to diversify the scenarios. So I'm not going to pick a favourite on the principle of it being too difficult, and TW101 so recent.

My review is here, if you're interested: http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/wii-u/wonderful-101/ Spoiler free.

Yeah, cool, read most of your review before.

I'd give your review a review of 9/10.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The US is still waiting, huh? What a shame. Might spend that time writing another review, or playing through the game three more times.

Because it's so good.

Grrrr.

We're not getting it until September 15th... stupid NoA.

marc^o^

Here is another review I loved:
XGamerRichy: 9,75/10
http://xgamerrichy.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/the-wonderful-101-wii-u-review/
I went into The Wonderful 101 expecting perfection. Clearly that was being unfair to The Wonderful 101 because there is no way that any game can be perfect and The Wonderful 101 is certainly not perfect. However, every issue that the game has are either down to taste (In terms of the visual style, the story, the voice acting and the music) or a case of learning the game and mastering its idiosyncrasies. With its plethora of references to Nintendo games, Platinum Games and its games and Hideki Kamiya’s previous titles and its huge amount of content there are very few experiences like this out there. If you have a Wii U and think that it has no good games, get The Wonderful 101. If you don’t have a Wii U and think that it has no good games then The Wonderful 101 should change your mind. Critics may not have fallen head over heels in love with it and there are bound to be others who just can’t get to grips with this highly unique and creative game, but, there are no other experiences like this in the gaming market today. Many complain that there are no new and unique games on the market, The Wonderful 101 is that exactly, if those people don’t even consider getting the game then right there is the problem with gaming today. It’s not perfect but it is pretty damn close. However, don’t take my word for it. Pick up the game and see for yourself what it is like. In the end, in my eyes, there is really only one way to describe The Wonderful 101. WONDERFUL!
It's the deepest/most complete review I've seen so far, so you may want to avoid it if you fear spoilers.

Dartastic

Maybe it will make going back to more "regular" games a breeze.

Silver lining!!!
Eh. I feel like I'm pretty good at action games, but sometimes I just don't really know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm used to games like Bayonetta, where you have to react JUST before something hits you. In this I'm finding that if you see the cue, you should react immediately and not try and wait for JUST that split second. But like, I just fought
That prince dude for the first time
and I got my ass handed to me. Not necessarily because I am terrible, but just because I didn't know what to DO and how to react to what he was doing at times. Once you understand what's going on it's incredible, but there are times like that where you're just like "uh, I've never seen this before and I guess I'll just get my ass handed to me until I figure out what to do about it?" That's frustrating.

marc^o^

Eh. I feel like I'm pretty good at action games, but sometimes I just don't really know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm used to games like Bayonetta, where you have to react JUST before something hits you. In this I'm finding that if you see the cue, you should react immediately and not try and wait for JUST that split second. But like, I just fought
That prince dude for the first time
and I got my ass handed to me. Not necessarily because I am terrible, but just because I didn't know what to DO and how to react to what he was doing at times. Once you understand what's going on it's incredible, but there are times like that where you're just like "uh, I've never seen this before and I guess I'll just get my ass handed to me until I figure out what to do about it?" That's frustrating.
What difficulty setting are you in?

Dartastic

What difficulty setting are you in?
NORMAL. o.o

An example of me not knowing what to do was when
he became that scythe thing that was spinning all over the place.
I tried using the blob/block maneuver. Didn't work. Tried using the spring, didn't work. Tried running. Sorta worked? So I stuck with that. I still wound up getting hit a bunch, and as I'm not the type to use items I wound up dying twice.

Another example was when I was getting shot at. Same idea.

EatChildren

As I said in my review, TW101 is the most obtuse game Platinum has made. At times you more or less have to trial-and-error mechanics to work out the internal logic. Once it clicks it all makes sense though.

No srsly guys, how do you mix a creditcard?

Go to the mixing screen in options, and mix 30 (maximum) of each of the three ingredients together.

Salih

No srsly guys, how do you mix a creditcard?
30 of each three ingredients. just max out all three of them.

Once you understand what's going on it's incredible, but there are times like that where you're just like "uh, I've never seen this before and I guess I'll just get my ass handed to me until I figure out what to do about it?" That's frustrating.
I personally wouldn't consider that frustrating. It's part of the challenge and the game is very VERY forgiving.

An example of me not knowing what to do was when
he became that scythe thing that was spinning all over the place.
I tried using the blob/block maneuver. Didn't work. Tried using the spring, didn't work. Tried running. Sorta worked? So I stuck with that. I still wound up getting hit a bunch, and as I'm not the type to use items I wound up dying twice.

A couple of springs to get out of the way then running/jumping to keep away should work, if it's the attack I'm thinking of.

Cosmozone

I got the credit card yesterday, does it unlock all items to be bought in the mart?
You can buy any available item for free but you can't unlock. Wish I knew how the credit card worked earlier. Didn't figure it out right away at first and then totally forgot about it. Beaten, sorry.

Top Bottom