• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Eh. I feel like I'm pretty good at action games, but sometimes I just don't really know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm used to games like Bayonetta, where you have to react JUST before something hits you. In this I'm finding that if you see the cue, you should react immediately and not try and wait for JUST that split second. But like, I just fought
That prince dude for the first time
and I got my ass handed to me. Not necessarily because I am terrible, but just because I didn't know what to DO and how to react to what he was doing at times. Once you understand what's going on it's incredible, but there are times like that where you're just like "uh, I've never seen this before and I guess I'll just get my ass handed to me until I figure out what to do about it?" That's frustrating.

I think it's a sort of game that needs multiple playthroughs to master. The enemies are so diverse and behaves so differently with unique attacks and weaknesses. You just have to sort them out, taking your time, finding out when to dodge, when to block and when to commit. Kinda like Monster Hunter in a sense, you have to learn their patterns in a semi-unconcious-kinda way.

I fought the guy you mention a second time after being smashed the first time, and things went a lot smoother already. I hadn't spent time thinking about what to do, or seen tutorials or anything like that. It was like my brain and nerve system had somewhat adjusted itself to him. :p

so yeah, it runs deep, lol

Alrus

That fight was pretty damn hard the first few times. I got wrecked, I'm still not sure what to do with certain of his attacks actually. Seems a few of them you can't block them but dodging is super tricky too...

The fact that it's not always very clear where he is doesn't really help when some of his attacks give you a split second to react before you get hit.

Oh and by the way for anyone starting, buy Speed Charge (or whatever it's called, the accessory that makes you recharge your unite bar faster), as early as you can. It'll make the game much easier for you.

Fabrik

Banned
Good, if difficult question. Uhm. Shit. I liked it more than Revengeance, which until TW101 was my favourite game of the year so far. It's better than Max Anarchy and MadWorld, if just for the sake of being a longer, more complete and fleshed out game, reasoning that stands over Revengeance too.

I love Vanquish and Bayonetta. Vanquish loses points for a story that takes itself a bit too seriously for my liking, and the game lacking the content of Bayonetta and TW101. Really, it comes down to those two. I think Bayonetta is a deeper game purely in mechanical complexity, but TW101 gets points for mechanics that are very, very original. Bayonetta also suffers from its diversion, gimmicky segments not always playing very well, whereas TW101 is littered with diversions that all play great. Bayonetta kind of focuses almost 100% on the core battle system, while TW101 makes a bigger effort to diversify the scenarios. So I'm not going to pick a favourite on the principle of it being too difficult, and TW101 so recent.

My review is here, if you're interested: http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/wii-u/wonderful-101/ Spoiler free.

I agree with you so far. I haven't finished W101 yet so I find Bayonetta superior at the moment but when I will have unlocked more moves and powers, I know I will be enjoying W101 more than I do actually. Bayonetta was less frustrating on the first playthrough though.
Excellent review by the way, you have explained well what makes the game enjoyable and the need to invest and give the game 100% of your attention.

Kevtones

Nice review, EC.

Your words towards Bayonetta jive with my experience.

101 sounds like a download buy. The demo got better as I played. Things clicked and the whole aesthetic was fresh against the super serials of the world. Really like the mystery behind some of the non-essential systems too (or partially-essential?).

I agree with you so far. I haven't finished W101 yet so I find Bayonetta superior at the moment but when I will have unlocked more moves and powers, I know I will be enjoying W101 more than I do actually. Bayonetta was less frustrating on the first playthrough though.
Excellent review by the way, you have explained well what makes the game enjoyable and the need to invest and give the game 100% of your attention.

W101 has better boss battles and is longer. Overall better characters imho

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I went to some of the local video game stores to buy a minecraft tee as a birthday present for my nephew today. Neither Game nor the biggest music/video/game retailer in Norway (platekompaniet) even had the game on their shelves...

What are you doing wrong, Nintendo?

NotLiquid

I went to some of the local video game stores to buy a minecraft tee as a birthday present for my nephew today. Neither Game nor the biggest music/video/game retailer in Norway (platekompaniet) even had the game on their shelves...

What are you doing wrong, Nintendo?

Not shipping enough copies obviously

;_;

Proven

NORMAL. o.o

An example of me not knowing what to do was when
he became that scythe thing that was spinning all over the place.
I tried using the blob/block maneuver. Didn't work. Tried using the spring, didn't work. Tried running. Sorta worked? So I stuck with that. I still wound up getting hit a bunch, and as I'm not the type to use items I wound up dying twice.

Another example was when I was getting shot at. Same idea.

For the
Unify Glider
, as someone else said, use a couple of Unite Springs. It has a wide area, and counts as a sharp/slashing attack, so it can't be blocked. For
Unify Gun-Bazooka
, it has armor piercing qualities, the same as your gun when it's in bazooka mode. So yeah, dodge that too. Really, the part that scratched my head when I first saw the fight was the fact that you can actually block
Unify Sword.

Salih

so i played Operation 001 on hard. Platinum-Gold-Silver first run. not bad. even unlocked a
new unite morph ability: Rocket Launcher/Bazooka
all of a sudden. The game keeps on delivering.

one thing i noticed was that now you really need to speedrun the enemies on hard to get platinum medal for time. It wasn't that punishing on normal.

Mohonky

/vent mode

I don't know what it is, but there is something about Kamiya games I just don't 'get.'

I am very much enjoying Wonderful 101 but at the same time it frustrates me to death. There is so much I don't understand about the game and it is so shit at giving instructions on what you are supposed to do.

Had the same problem with Bayonetta, while I enjoyed it to an extent and I was able to finish the game I never ever felt like I was in control of the combat, or at least I wasn't playing the game it was supposed to be played. Like something about it just wasnt meshing. Sure I could finish it but I never felt like ever understood what the combat was really about and I'm having the same damn problem with Wonderful 101, I'm completing missions and beating bosses but I feel like I'm not making the most of the combat system.

What I loved about Itagaki's Ninja Gaiden titles was how cut and dry it was on the fact it was very clearly an attack / block & counter fighting system that punished you for going in all offensive. Then Bayonetta seemed relentless offensive. Now this seems.....I can't decide.

Help me understand wtf is going on GAF. I understand the Unite moves can help in building combos but all I seem to be doing is relentless attacking as Wonderful Red with fists and throwing in the Unite Sword as another means of attack.

Standard non-unite attacks appear to stun an enemy is that correct? When the orange circles are on an enemy?

Is there some sort of counter / dodge going on in this game? I know Jello can be used to counter or stun an enemy but it doesn't work for all attacks. Some attacks I get smashed through the jello, is there some other method of countering these attacks I am unawares of?

I also found that I got an upgrade to a 'Stinger' attack but like the rest of the game, the game doesn't explain a fucking thing about how to perform it. I mean it does, very fucking briefly, then it disappears but even then it was pretty vague about what the hell it was.

Also characters rank up, what does that do for you?

I noticed you could also change team order / grouping but again no fucking explanation on what that does for anything.

Is there some where with a guide to the combat on this game and how it is supposed to be played, because right now I feel like I am mashing away and repeating the same few moves (attack as Wonder Red, throw in Unite Sword for extra damage, rinse and repeat) through the game and using Jello Guts to repel enemy attacks when and if I ever catch a glimpse of an incoming attack behind the shit flying all over the screen.

I really want to enjoy this game and I'm sure it's a great game when the combat clicks, but it's just not clicking in anything but a mash and hope sort of way right now, which is exactly what happen with Bayonetta and that also pissed me off to no end, especially how the game grades you at the end of each level, it's like a big "Whats that? You sucked at the game despite the fact we told you sweet fuck all about how the game works? So sorry, here, have a 'youre a shit cunt' medal just so we can rub it in some more'

Bayonetta did this and I am really hessitant to even consider the second one as the game basically did the same thing, it rewarded you for getting the combat system but did fuck all to really teach or explain it and if you didn't get it you never really got into the meat of the game itself with all the unlocks and extra modes. It's like it punishes you more and more for not getting it. I feel Wonderful 101 is doing exactly the same thing. I haven't had controller throwing rages since I was 12 but fuck me Kamiya's games really do this too me, despite the fact I can complete the Ninja Gaidens on the hardest settings, something about these games drives me up the wall.

Explanations or help please?

monome

/vent
Explanations or help please?

1/ look at Saur's videos.
2/ understand that unlocking moves while progressing through the game is a feature.
3/ new moves and how to excecute them is in the "help" section of the touchscreen.
4/ this thread has covered a lot of your topics already.
5/ managing your heroes help you build a stronger overall team which unlocks new moves.
6/ items and moves can be bought from the mart.
7/ you can buy "parts" that pretty much bring the gaemplay to Bayo's levels. you need to equip them in the menu section. the number of parts you can install is linked to the number of heroes you've found.

etc...

now is not the good time for me for a better recap.

but read the thread. the game is worth reading though a few pages.

and use the goddamn right stick instead of the screen, son!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Vooks.net Review: 5/5
http://www.vooks.net/video-game-review/wonderful-101-wii-u-review/
So, considering all of its parts, just how wonderful is The Wonderful 101? In short, very. It’s a title that will, in several years, be a cult classic that will be remembered fondly much like Hideki Kamiya’s previous works such as Viewtiful Joe. It’s a fresh, unique and interesting take on the action genre – managing to eclipse most of the genres’ previous efforts. There are some control hiccups here and there, and some could debate that it would be better off without touchscreen controls – but outside of this the game feels nearly perfect. Its flaws are minor, but The Wonderful 101 is one of the greatest exclusives that the Wii U has right now, and a game that shouldn’t be missed by any self-respecting Wii U owner.

Alrus

To answer Mohonky's post (not covering all point so I'm not quoting everything).

Check those video from Saur, explains the basic really well.

There's a dodge movie (unite spring), because Unite Guts (the block movie) can't protect against attacks that are spiky or cut through you.

There are add-ons which you can buy that allow you to Counter attacks (it's pretty tricky to do) or avoid damage if you jump just when you get hit, and even one which works like Witch Time from Bayo.

If you're unsure about how to use a newly unlocked skill, check the ingame Menu (press +), there's a submenu about skills and unite morphs which explains them and tells you how to execute them. Skills are rather important to execute decent combos.

Also each unite morph is suited for certain type of situation. For example the sword might bounce on some ennemies where the fist might not and vice versa. (Bouncing on ennemies is really bad as it stuns your group). The sword can absorb lightning and reflect laser beam (very important for those tank enemies and some bosses), while the fist absorbs fire attacks. The gun is great for increasing your combo multiplier, etc etc.

And yeah the game doesn't do a particularly great jobs at explaining the deepness of the combat, which is a bit shameful, because it will turn off some people who feel it's too complicated when in the end, the basics are rather simple.

D-e-f-

Banned
And yeah the game doesn't do a particularly great jobs at explaining the deepness of the combat, which is a bit shameful, because it will turn off some people who feel it's too complicated when in the end, the basics are rather simple.

If the game were to explain every little thing to the player in such a way that they understood it, everyone would go nuts over hand holding and neverending tutorials again. There's a digital manual, there's a community. It explains the basics and expects the player to do the rest if they want to go really deep.

Alrus

If the game were to explain every little thing to the player in such a way that they understood it, everyone would go nuts over hand holding and neverending tutorials again. There's a digital manual, there's a community. It explains the basics and expects the player to do the rest if they want to go really deep.

Well honestly, my comment was more about the fact that it doesn't explain dodging and blocking at all, and that those are actually not default (you have to buy them and yeah you can buy them right away because they're cheap as fuck but a newcomer might miss them). It also doesn't really explain what you can block and what you can, which might frustrate some players. I'm not asking for a massive tutorial but those should have been explained better imo, because they're fundamental to enjoy the game.

Proven

Well honestly, my comment was more about the fact that it doesn't explain dodging and blocking at all, and that those are actually not default (you have to buy them and yeah you can buy them right away because they're cheap as fuck but a newcomer might miss them). It also doesn't really explain what you can block and what you can, which might frustrate some players. I'm not asking for a massive tutorial but those should have been explained better imo, because they're fundamental to enjoy the game.

There's one thing in the demo that isn't in the actual game, where when you face your first Hoedown (the tank) they flat out tell you to beat it with Unite Guts and it doesn't leave the main screen until you finish the mission or turn it off.

But when it comes to learning what you can or can't block, is it such a terrible thing that there's trial and error? Either you go in knowing exactly how to defeat an enemy, or you learn an enemy through experience fighting them. You learn what makes them dangerous, and then you learn how to counter them. It also helps that a lot of them telegraph that they're going to do something, and will often use mechanics or telegraphs from previous enemies. So eventually you learn that punches and stomps are generally dealt with Guts. If someone is charging a beam attack, pull out the sword. For the love of god, keep your distance from spikes. And if there's a telegraph but you're not sure for what, dodge out of the way with Spring while observing.

TheGrue

Intrigued by the game even though it is kicking my ass. I don't mind getting low rankings as long as I get through, so going to keep playing on normal and not turn the difficulty down. Slowly learning the ropes. Definitely wish the game explained itself better but being a 40 year old gamer, I grew up playing games that let you explore and figure things out like this, so I can cope. I had skipped buying Unite Guts, but now that I have it, it makes the game less frustrating. I am sure there are other abilities like this. Definitely like it.

Vyse24

The Nintendo World Store twitter just tweeted this:
BTVm4hICQAAPmUs.jpg

Looks like anyone getting the game there on the 15th is getting a free wonder mask.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
A shame that wasn't a pre-order bonus. Would've liked to have gotten that when I pick up my copy (hopefully, assuming I have the money or I get it as a b-day present).

Alrus

Is there any strategy or decent vid for Operation 005's boss? I'm trying to get Platinum but I think there's some things I'm missing because I always do awful for time (always get the shittiest score for that...).

Frodo

Is there any strategy or decent vid for Operation 005's boss? I'm trying to get Platinum but I think there's some things I'm missing because I always do awful for time (always get the shittiest score for that...).

I would appreciate some help with this too. I do everything okay not even, taking any damage, but the
Boxing part
is holding me back. I've tried a few different things, but I'm still not very effective there.

Frodo

Every time someone mentions that other game for the PS3 (in a thread not dedicated to it) I'm afraid someone will come and defend it until we all say it is the Citizen Kane of the video games, 10/10, GOTY.

/offtopic

Pitmonkey

Lots of talk about how deep the game play mechanics are - can someone give me a rundown on the basics in terms of combos and such.

fred

So who is dressing up as Wonder Red for halloween?

You can't do that...you'll end up getting called a
Cosplay Brigade
lololol

Am now on Operation 5C and have read both here and on another couple of forums that the end of level boss is amazing.

This game is really special, all of the end level bosses are bigger and better than the end game bosses of any game last gen...I'm probably going to jizz my pants when I finally get to the end of game boss lololol

I just beat operation 5 (great boss) and I'm starting to feel some combat fatigue. There's not enough new enemies and the fights take too long in a lot of cases. I know the combat is the whole point of the game for some people, but for me I'm sticking with it for the set pieces and (surprisingly) the story/characters.

I've turned it down to Very Easy, not because Easy was too hard, but just so the fights don't last quite as long. At least checkpoints are good the times I do happen to die, not having to redo any sections over and over has meant I've always had a forward momentum.

I think it's going to keep me hooked until the end, but by operation 9 I'll never want to fight one of these enemies again!

I also think that now with so many weapon choices the control flaws are starting to show. Some stuff like the bomb, hammer and claws are hard to get right sometimes on both the touchpad and using the right stick. A tap of a button to flick through abilities would have been the superior option and a great alternative.

Cosmozone

Just finished operation 8. I love how the whole mood got more epic. Like the change of the Wonderful jingle before missions (?) or the fact, that the Wonderful Ones say "Roger!" with much more determination. I was a bit disappointed that the last couple of boss fights weren't so overly long and multi staged anymore. On the other hand, I was pretty happy with how I fared the last couple of normal combat situations this time. Still sucked at the sections with different gameplay, though.

Looking very forward to the grand finale. Will be glorious.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Welp...just cancelled my Amazon preorder...........and paid one off at Gamestop. Can't wait next Sunday.

Good look. Reminded me I still had to cancel my preorder for the book.

Get it 20% off with the game at GS

Neff

What I love about this game, besides the spectacle, humour and stunningly inventive variety, is that it has a really awesome old-school, deep, arcadey richness to it. Like, you can play it exhaustively (I'm currently on my 3rd playthrough), but you'll see people doing stuff you never thought of, as I'm doing watching these videos. It keeps surprising, which isn't something that happens in games much anymore. It's just incredibly well thought out and put together.

Top Bottom