• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Frodo

Just finished the game. What a ride!

My game of the year so far. Love the game, love the thought Platinum put into this. Love the references, the humour, the characters, but most of all, the gameplay. Great game. Everyone should play this.

And, this is my counter so far. I've replayed a few missions (mostly Bosses, because they are awesome!), so if you just want to go from beginning to end without replaying anything it would be a few hours (more like 10 hours, maybe) quicker.

09A637T.jpg

After 007-b shit got real!
So theres like
2 boss levels
in 007?
EDIT:
only two level in 007 seems at the end :(
I loved the attack of
the pirate guy, and they take him away from me :( Better than the shitty arrows

Saur video on the second boss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAOvXVWYPIA

There's one event with Green I wished he showed.

Amazing, not even using the planes.
So Ive heard here that Saur did the bayonetta official guide. Is he doing also this games guide? I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Cosmozone

Hm, I thought I had to do something. Because for a long time I didn't find out what "pink leader" actually means.

@Rogue_Ledr: Apparently 45h. Shocking! But I've replayed some of the longer levels.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Saur video on the second boss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAOvXVWYPIA

There's one event with Green I wished he showed.
This is absolutely amazing. I'll play this game as many runs as it take to be that good.

ONM review is up: 93%
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/54163/reviews/the-wonderful-101-review-review/?page=4
The sheer, idea-packed throb of the thing means this game will never be revolutionary in the way that Mario was, a king that invites pretenders. It's too weird, too postmodern and perhaps too packed for its own good in places, but that's not to say it won't be copied. The Wonderful 101 is a perfect example of how to turn tens, even hundreds of ideas into a single cohesive whole, a mass of interlocking parts spinning around the player like the group they're controlling onscreen, working together and strengthening each other. It's a beautiful thing and one you rarely see on any console, never mind the Wii U. This is a brilliant action game. This is a brilliant superhero story. This is a brilliant Platinum title. This is game design, united.

fred

I think I've realised why I and someone else on here thought that the enemy health bar colours were relevant - some enemies appear to be resistant to some weapons I think. So when I found a weapon that didn't affect an enemy that much and switched I just assumedthat Platinum were complicating matters lol.

Still, great idea for the sequel (or prequel!) if that fellah from Platinum Games is still lurking! ;oP

Frodo

I was really surprised at the end about the number of weapons available.

In the end apart from the Hand, Sword, Gun, Whip, Hammer, Claws and Bomb, you also had available for your entertainment in battle the Crossbow Immorta uses, the Boomerang from Vorkken and Chewgi's Naginata. All in all 10 weapons. And then, final chapter ----even more spoilerish spoilers ahead------- you get to play with Luka and get the Wonderful Goggles as a final treat! Great job, Platinum.

Frodo

Prayed the first part of mission 1. So good.

Also, how do you get to the group of civilians after the shield part?

EDIT: I'm ahead of myself. Just use unite chain on the building in front of you, get to the top and use Unite Sword to drop the metal plates hanging on top of the building.

for those that have the game earlier than us in the US, what is the recommended difficulty for your first playthrough?

Easy or Very Easy, Platinum Games are really hard, so its better to learn the ropes jumping into the deep end with Normal

but seriously, start on Normal

Frodo

for those that have the game earlier than us in the US, what is the recommended difficulty for your first playthrough?

In case you already have experience with the genre and want to try to understand the mechanics and how every enemy sort of acts like a puzzle, and can handle the frustration when you fail to solve it go for Normal. If you just want to play it like you play every other game nowadays Easy or Very easy.

EDIT: I'm ahead of myself. Just use unite chain on the building in front of you, get to the top and use Unite Sword to drop the metal plates hanging on top of the building.

No not that one. When you lower the bridge after that you can see a group of civilians and what I guess looks like a heart piece above then. You can see the help screams when you're on top of that tower

fred

Well I started on Normal, got my arse kicked and switched to Easy lol. You can change the difficulty mid-game if I remember correctly so start with one difficulty level and increase/decrease as you go along. I've stuck with Easy though lololol

Shaanyboi

Banned
I've been sticking with Normal, but have been kinda shit on with the ratings. I get the occasional silver medal, platinum medal, etc. But I always end up finishing with a bronze.

Cheska

I've been sticking with Normal, but have been kinda shit on with the ratings. I get the occasional silver medal, platinum medal, etc. But I always end up finishing with a bronze.

I haven't been getting the best ratings either, it's a little odd compared to how I've fared with previous Platinum games. Does anyone have any tips? Is it easier to do better once you have more weapons and moves at your disposal?

Proven

No not that one. When you lower the bridge after that you can see a group of civilians and what I guess looks like a heart piece above then. You can see the help screams when you're on top of that tower

After the mission with the football helmet, you'll be on a street where you can either head up or down. If you head up you'll run into the final mission. If you head down you'll find a destroyed bridge. Use Unite Chain to get across it and you'll find a burning building. Use Unite Hand or Unite Rocket to get to the top.

Alrus

I haven't been getting the best ratings either, it's a little odd compared to how I've fared with previous Platinum games. Does anyone have any tips? Is it easier to do better once you have more weapons and moves at your disposal?

It is, some skill are really important to pull off decent combos. New unite morph that are quite usefull too and some updrages that really help mitigate damage and other cool stuff (Ukemi, Hero Time and Hero Counter notably).

Although it should be possible to pull off Platinum right from the start if you're good, the encounters are balanced for the stuff you have at your disposal.

Could be that you're missing some secret missions... If there's a gap between two medals in the Operation result screen, it means you missed a mission at some point.

zoukka

Kinda mixed feelings on this game. The core gameplay is fun, but most of the on-rails/gamepad/QTE/boss sections are either gimmicky as fuck or very very unclear and messy so you need to replay them multiple times to even learn what to do...

I love the premise, the style and the fresh ideas, but this game is stuffed with gimmicky filler content which makes me sad.

OryoN

He's an indian Kid who likes video games and hip-hop?

"Just put a red dot in his forehead, it'll save us some unnecessary drama concerning race stereotype".

Wouldn't surprise me if the internal discussion went like that. It's a shame developers/publishers have to take these measures since the public is so easily offended. Unfortunately, it just screwed over the folks on the other side of the fence, who would have appreciate a stereotypical black videogame character who actually is a cool-a$$ super hero.

JPKellams

"Just put a red dot in his forehead, it'll save us some unnecessary drama concerning race stereotype".

Wouldn't surprise me if the internal discussion went like that. It's a shame developers/publishers have to take these measures since the public is so easily offended. Unfortunately, it just screwed over the folks on the other side of the fence, who would have appreciate a stereotypical black videogame character who actually is a cool-a$$ super hero.

Nope. He was always Indian.

daakusedo

All my miiverse posts for this game are about a glitch lol
Last one is op 002-b on hard. I won't mention the hell that is the first secret mission but then you can climb up the water slide again and have the end of mission W that is just there... But you have to reactivate the water slide though and all the little secrets can be found again.

On another topic I'm glad I played on normal first, it was sometimes a bit hard but it certainly train me for hard mode where I'm getting more pure platinum than the normal playthrough, except that secret mission... and still, there's a strategy to significantly reduce the difficulty.
And you gain time completing the game finding the kakoo regah, not there on easy modes... using that method again is cruel!

So now that im pretty good with the game im going back to the first levels to try to get pure platinums, all is fine and dandy but it seems im too fast killing enemies now and fuck up a lot the combos medal. I try to do it like in the saur videos but I still get a shitty combo rating, even when I thought I did great.
The worst is wen you get a gold medal in time and a plastic in combo or something similar. Its like fuck, i tried to go as fast as in coild while trying to combo dammit.
Any tips on that?

69wpm

Finished the game yesterday after playing for 5 hours straight. Damn, what a game. Blue was right: Mind blown. Things keep getting better and more over the top by the minute, but I loved everything about the game. I know some people mentioned they had troubles with the boss fights, I understand the feeling but nothing is impossible, you just have to be really concentrated and try to be calm, which is not that easy in the heat of the action. In some encounters it took me some time to figure out what to do, but when you figure it out, it's a "duh moment". Great game, great game.

Frodo

So now that im pretty good with the game im going back to the first levels to try to get pure platinums, all is fine and dandy but it seems im too fast killing enemies now and fuck up a lot the combos medal. I try to do it like in the saur videos but I still get a shitty combo rating, even when I thought I did great.
The worst is wen you get a gold medal in time and a plastic in combo or something similar. Its like fuck, i tried to go as fast as in coild while trying to combo dammit.
Any tips on that?

The Wonder Stinger with the gun is a great way to rise you combo multiplier (really really good way to do it). Try drawing smaller shapes for the combo if you are killing the enemies too fast. More hits = more points. Skills like Wonder Cyclone or the stinger do more points than just ordinary hits.

Finished the game yesterday after playing for 5 hours straight. Damn, what a game. Blue was right: Mind blown. Things keep getting better and more over the top by the minute, but I loved everything about the game. I know some people mentioned they had troubles with the boss fights, I understand the feeling but nothing is impossible, you just have to be really concentrated and try to be calm, which is not that easy in the heat of the action. In some encounters it took me some time to figure out what to do, but when you figure it out, it's a "duh moment". Great game, great game.

What I feel about the game, and I've said this before, is that every encounter, every battle with an enemy kind of works as a puzzle. Bosses included. Some people fail to solve the puzzle and get frustrated and blame the combat as if it is the reason they are failing.

I personally love the game. It is my game of the year so far. Last time I had so much fun playing a game was when I played Portal, SMG and Bayonetta for the first time. I think it is that good. Not to say the game is perfect, it has its flaws, but they were never in the way of me immensely enjoying the game all the way through. I had a blast replaying missions and getting better ranks. The characters are great and the game made me smile more times than I can remember. Glad I got to play this! <3

The Wonder Stinger with the gun is a great way to rise you combo multiplier (really really good way to do it). Try drawing smaller shapes for the combo if you are killing the enemies too fast. More hits = more points. Skills like Wonder Cyclone or the stinger do more points than just ordinary hits.
Sorry but my game is in spanish and they decided to translate some of the attacks with fancy names. Could you explain what is wonder stinger and wonder cyclone in the game?
I was also trying to donyesterday smaller shapes but its sometimes hard with the habilty to draw linea faster lol

Frodo

Sorry but my game is in spanish and they decided to translate some of the attacks with fancy names. Could you explain what is wonder stinger and wonder cyclone in the game?
I was also trying to donyesterday smaller shapes but its sometimes hard with the habilty to draw linea faster lol

The Wonder stinger is the first skill you unlock for every weapon you have. It is the &#8592;&#8594; + A.

After you unlock it to be able to use it with the Unite Gun you can use it to start your combo. It is really good because, as you shoot your team members at enemies, they will automatically start a Climb attack which might cause the enemy to stun. And then you can launch them in the air to keep the combo going.

The wonder Cyclone is also an unlockable move, which is triggered by doing a 360 degrees rotation of the Left Stick + A.

It can be useful to keep the enemies in the air after you launch them.

You can check all these moves on the Skills section of the main menu, in case you have any doubts! :)

Neff

Normal is not that bad. It's initially bewildering as hell, but once you understand how the game works, it's quite manageable by Kamiya standards. It's more a game of experimentation and mixing/refining strategies than the reflex test of aggressive foes that Bayonetta/VJ/DMC are, although the game has its share of rushdowns and take-no-prisoners enemies, and you will be at a disadvantage without action game experience.

Also, regarding the difficulty of the last Vorkken fight,
Hero Time
absolutely destroys him.

Official Nintendo Magazine said:
The sheer, idea-packed throb of the thing means this game will never be revolutionary in the way that Mario was, a king that invites pretenders. It's too weird, too postmodern and perhaps too packed for its own good in places, but that's not to say it won't be copied. The Wonderful 101 is a perfect example of how to turn tens, even hundreds of ideas into a single cohesive whole, a mass of interlocking parts spinning around the player like the group they're controlling onscreen, working together and strengthening each other. It's a beautiful thing and one you rarely see on any console, never mind the Wii U. This is a brilliant action game. This is a brilliant superhero story. This is a brilliant Platinum title. This is game design, united.

Wow.

Kamiya finally got a Wii U. Too bad he didn't get the Master race Black edition.
The white Wii U actually looks nice. Jelly.

http://twitpic.com/dcg6fv

I hope he goes on Miiverse...

wonder stinger: <- -> + A
wonder cyclone: 360° + A

The Wonder stinger is the first skill you unlock for every weapon you have. It is the &#8592;&#8594; + A.

After you unlock it to be able to use it with the Unite Gun you can use it to start your combo. It is really good because, as you shoot your team members at enemies, they will automatically start a Climb attack which might cause the enemy to stun. And then you can launch them in the air to keep the combo going.

The wonder Cyclone is also an unlockable move, which is triggered by doing a 360 degrees rotation of the Left Stick + A.

It can be useful to keep the enemies in the air after you launch them.

You can check all these moves on the Skills section of the main menu, in case you have any doubts! :)

Thanks guys! Will try that after finishin the story.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips on that?

Instead of just emulating Saur, try to understand what he's doing.

Try and learn just how much time you have to get the platinum instead of just going as fast as possible,(not every act has the same time limit.) and then try and understand how points are calculated and what moves affect it in what way.(at least on a very basic level.)

Once you do that then you can start playing around with your tools and coming up with different strategies

That's what I did for Bayonetta anyways. I don't think it's possible to get pure platinums on everything without learning a bit more about how the game works on a deeper level.

Multi-Unite is the key to good combos. Getting an enemy in to a vulnerable position and using, say, multi-unite with sword/sword or sword/hand can do a lot of hits quickly.

Top Bottom