• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'll have to put this debate on hold until after I play

I think you're just being overwhelmed by the options available to you. Unlike Joe and bayo you have 7 different weapons to be thinking about and the game is designed around that.

Keep at it I think. You realize bayo and joe are the best kamiya games so you're obviously not dumb. and you probably also know 22 hours ain't nearly enough for those games either. Watch some videos get inspired and keep at it.

fred

It's definitely a game that you need to complete more than once, you'll probably need to complete it several times just to find all the hidden stuff let alone nail the combat lol. And I definitely won't have any problems doing that either, and it's very rare for me to complete a game more than once these days.

...and I haven't gone anywhere near the Missions yet - this game is going to eat up A LOT of my time!!!

Am having a break from it now and have started playing Rayman Legends, that's going to keep me dead busy too with the Challenge App and Cups to collect.

Really happy with my Wii U now, there are several games - The Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Rayman Legends - that are really jam-packed full of content. Makes a change these days!

Working against The Wonderful 101 is (and will be into the foreseeable future) the Wii U's embarrassingly tragic hardware penetration and the even worse software attachment ratios. Market penetration doesn't guaranty success (see: Clover), but the game as is couldn't be in a worse position. Not even the people who own Wii Us are buying games, and that's so sad when they're sitting on a gem like this.

Most realistic best case scenario: games like Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, and Mario Kart 8, supplemented with games like X and Smash, help drive not just hardware momentum, but software momentum, encouraging owners to look at the library a bit more. The cynic in me is convinced the Wii U sales catastrophe will not turn around in any truly surprising way, simply gain momentum in the right areas, but hopefully that momentum causes some people to look across at the box of The Wonderful 101 while picking up whatever other Wii U game and think "oh hey, that looks cool, I should give it a try".

Hopefully it will benefit from the Wind Waker bundle a few days later.

People might be looking for a physical game to bring home.

Proven

Do you mean the drawing (like when you buy Attack Liner) or that moment when it materialises? Or both?

When it materializes. I don't know why, but I first noticed it in the .gif of PhantomMResonancE

(It took way too much work to find this):
Not my gameplay vid but I thought this combo was so dope I had to GIF it.
dopecombophantomresonttzih.gif

Credit to PhantoMResonancE
I'm amazed how Platinum kept this game's depth under wraps for so long. This is just a demo, can't wait to see how insane things get with full movesets unlocked.

Right when he creates the fist and it's going up, the enemy bumps off it. You can see it even counts as a combo hit. I think it's a feature put in there on purpose to help with juggling. On Sunday I caught a random stream and saw someone accidentally do it with the Hammer to flip over a turtle.

CorwinB

I finished the game yesterday evening, the last boss fight was absolutely epic and hilarious at the same time.

Definitely my favorite title on WiiU, and one of my best gaming experiences this year despite some minor flaws.

Cheska

Guys, how many operations are there? I'm trying to beat at least one operation a day. The game definitely gets better and opens up as you unlock more weapons. Getting MUCH better scores and higher combo ratings now, yay!

Alrus

Guys, how many operations are there? I'm trying to beat at least one operation a day. The game definitely gets better and opens up as you unlock more weapons. Getting MUCH better scores and higher combo ratings now, yay!

There's 9 of them. The 7th one is really short, and the ninth one is really long. Apparently there's a secret one but I have no idea how to unlock it yet...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For instance, the head attack of the turtles is instantaneous in my experience.

It's not. There is a visual and audio telegraph of the attack that gives you enough time to dodge out of the way.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
While I'm waiting for Miiverse's help with a section in a plane where I'm stuck, I had to say I got Wonder Yellow about 30mn ago and encountered my first turtles. Seems like a double jump with a hammer strike is the way to go.

This game is AAAmazing.

NIN90

While I'm waiting for Miiverse's help with a section in a plane where I'm stuck, I had to say I got Wonder Yellow about 30mn ago and encountered my first turtles. Seems like a double jump with a hammer strike is the way to go.

This game is AAAmazing.

Block that foot stomp and flip that shit.

I still do not know how to make the whip work in the qte attack of boss 002-C, the one where wonder pink faces appears. I make the whip buf every time I hit A it doesnt work, i only got it right surprisingly the first time i fought the boss but it seems i cant remember how to make it work, is automatically, do you have to press a?

IMPORTANT TIP!
Almost always, when someones face appears you just need to equip that persons weapon(big version, i think), and equip it quick enough.
you do not need to press attack, just stand there and it should work. you have to be quick though.

Knowing this made the game so much better for me, i was really frustrated until i figured it out.
very occasionally you will need to press attack, but most of the time it's all about equipping that persons weapon fast enough and in large.

IMPORTANT TIP!
Almost always, when someones face appears you just need to equip that persons weapon(big version, i think), and equip it quick enough.
you do not need to press attack, just stand there and it should work. you have to be quick though.

Knowing this made the game so much better for me, i was really frustrated until i figured it out.
very occasionally you will need to press attack, but most of the time it's all about equipping that persons weapon fast enough and in large.

Thanks will try this tonight.

It's the same as Bayonetta's Lost Chapter. You unlock it the same way, too.

How? Please, do not tell me is getting all pure platinums. :(

Proven

Okay, here's another tip for the turtles. Someone can verify.

Hammer's ability to block things from above by just standing neutral applies to more than just missiles. It can block turtle stomps. Gives the special star icon as well, which I'm going to start calling the "super effective" bonus.

It's definitely a game that you need to complete more than once, you'll probably need to complete it several times just to find all the hidden stuff let alone nail the combat lol. And I definitely won't have any problems doing that either, and it's very rare for me to complete a game more than once these days.

...and I haven't gone anywhere near the Missions yet - this game is going to eat up A LOT of my time!!!

Am having a break from it now and have started playing Rayman Legends, that's going to keep me dead busy too with the Challenge App and Cups to collect.

Really happy with my Wii U now, there are several games - The Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Rayman Legends - that are really jam-packed full of content. Makes a change these days!
dont forget pikmin 3

and splinter cell is a pretty good port too (the game itself is really nice offtv imho)

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Complete all the kagoo reggah apparently.
And that's on Normal/Hard/101 Hard for each Kagoo Reggah as the challenges are supposed to be different on each difficulties, only verified for Normal and Hard personnally and some of those are BRUTAL on Hard. For example 2 cannons + 1 Venus Fly Trap with only 10 dudes and ONE use of an offensive morph was a fun one to complete. I don't want to imagine what setups they came up with on the highest difficulty

marc^o^

TechnoBuffalo: 8,5
http://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/the-wonderful-101-review/

This title, for better or worse, presents a unique style, original characters and higher level of challenge. For me, and perhaps gamers like me, all of those points are absolute compliments.

I loved my time with The Wonderful 101. I can’t wait until it releases stateside to play and talk about it with friends. It’s one Wii U game that I’ve been waiting a long time to play, and I can safely say that it’s one of my favorites for the console.

If you love the challenge and the look, The Wonderful 101 will occupy your Wii U for a good long time. As a reviewer turned fan, I hope Platinum Games and Nintendo see the value in their newly formed relationship and continue building games like this one. It’s off the wall, and I think it deserves a lot of love for that.

Alrus

And that's on Normal/Hard/101 Hard for each Kagoo Reggah as the challenges are supposed to be different on each difficulties, only verified for Normal and Hard personnally and some of those are BRUTAL on Hard. For example 2 cannons + 1 Venus Fly Trap with only 10 dudes and ONE use of an offensive morph was a fun one to complete. I don't want to imagine what setups they came up with on the highest difficulty

Holy hell, that's brutal indeed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Destructoid review is up. No score, for some reason, though sounds positive:

The Wonderful 101 is one of those rare games that keeps getting more and more fun the more that you play it. If you have the dexterity to handle the controls and the patience to deal with a few momentum-killing platforming/puzzle bits, you're in for a heck of a time.

SPOILER WARNING, it mentions not only the 3 previously revealed secret characters (along with the picture), but two others as well.

TDLink

Destructoid review is up. No score, for some reason, though sounds positive:

SPOILER WARNING, it mentions not only the 3 previously revealed secret characters (along with the picture), but two others as well.

Reading the review only one secret character he mentioned was actually new to me. One of the 2 other than the 3 we got pictures of from PAX had a large mention in the Iwata Asks. Namely wonder
director/kamiya

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There is also a score: 9/10
Looks like they added it in & just forgot to post it with the review earlier.

Reading the review only one secret character he mentioned was actually new to me. One of the 2 other than the 3 we got pictures of from PAX had a large mention in the Iwata Asks. Namely wonder
director/kamiya
I already spoiled the big 3, do I dare look up pics of the other two?

marc^o^

Destructoïd said:
I've heard other reviewers had trouble with the controls, but I've had no issues. Like playing a fighting game, you need to have some level of dexterity to pull off motions and combos, but it all gets to be muscle memory after a while. Knowing that there are different levels of physical skill to aspire towards helps gives The Wonderful 101 a feeling of depth, but what keeps me coming back is the depth of the combat system.
Thank you Destructoïd for pointing that out.

TDLink

Looks like they added it in & just forgot to post it with the review earlier.

I already spoiled the big 3, do I dare look up pics of the other two?

There's no pics of the other 2 mentioned in the article. Just the PAX picture. They are all mentioned off hand as examples of unlockables you can strive for.

D-e-f-

Banned
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/wonderful-101-review
4/5

good score but completely BS review again getting hung up on "I wish this wasn't on Wii U ...and didn't have drawing mechanics."

The reason for that frustration is that Wonderful 101 is just as unforgiving as those games I mentioned earlier. Imagine having to draw a pattern to switch from Rebellion to Ebony & Ivory in Devil May Cry. Action games of this type don't rely on working "most of the time"; precision is the name of the game. I found myself enjoying Wonderful 101, but wishing it was on any other console than the Wii U.

How does one thing relate to the other? The game could be on 360 and you'd still have the exact same experience like on Wii U with a Pro Controller. Only worse since it'd be missing features. It's one thing to say "I don't like the drawing" but the platform it's on has no bearing on that.

Taxman

Whenever I read these reviews where they complain that the game would think the Z was an S, I get this image of them in 2nd grade in handwriting class complaining that they got a bad grade and blaming it on the fact that a u and v are too similar. It's not their fault the teacher couldn't read it properly.

marc^o^

The Wonderful 101 frequently recognized one weapon, like the whip (a curvy "S" shape) when I was trying for another like the claws (a "Z" shape).
There are just so many different attacks to keep track of (in addition to each member’s "Unity" weapon, the whole team can transform into a spring, a rocket, a ball, a blob of defensive jelly and more) that looking for enemy weaknesses often felt like guesswork. Without more hints, I felt like I was fumbling in the dark.
Since the line is literally being formed by members of the team, you often have to try to draw the shapes in 3D space (like up the side of a building) which is similarly frustrating. This bit is a tad easier with the GamePad, but since you have to look away from the screen and remove your hand from the controls to summon abilities that way, it’s just not practical. It doesn’t help that the screen is so insanely cluttered most of the time it can be difficult to tell if you’re running your team line directly into enemies (that is if you can even find your hero to start with).
Never assume you need to possess some basic gamer skills to become a reviewer.

Rehynn

How does one thing relate to the other? The game could be on 360 and you'd still have the exact same experience like on Wii U with a Pro Controller. Only worse since it'd be missing features. It's one thing to say "I don't like the drawing" but the platform it's on has no bearing on that.

Edge essentially said the same crap.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/wonderful-101-review
4/5

good score but completely BS review again getting hung up on "I wish this wasn't on Wii U ...and didn't have drawing mechanics."

There seems to be a very big assumption on the part of some reviews that being able to play the game with "normal" controls, aka pro pad, doesn't count because the drawing mechanic was enforced on the game purely by the touch screen.

Therefore using the right stick to draw is irrelevant - if it wasn't on Wii U it would somehow have "better" controls. This ignores the fact that Okami was made on the PS2 first, and if Kamiya wanted a drawing mechanic the game would have a drawing mechanic regardless of the platform it was initially developed on.

D-e-f-

Banned
See, this is what I mean when I rant about how reviews are the dumbest thing ever. I guess they serve as warning signs for the "Press A for Awesome" audience who would jump off a cliff after playing five minutes to not buy this. In that way it seems to be effective.

One would hope Nintendo gave out a reviewer pamphlet that said "you should play this on easy probably" or something.

Top Bottom