• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

JoeFenix

Man, it really blows this game has to come out in the same window as GTAV. For one, isn't not going to do as well sales-wise. And for two, today I have to make a decision on which to pick up. ;_;

My heart says W101, but my brain says GTA...because I can see this getting a price cut in like a month.

Listen to you feelings, always follow your heart!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man, it really blows this game has to come out in the same window as GTAV. For one, isn't not going to do as well sales-wise. And for two, today I have to make a decision on which to pick up. ;_;

My heart says W101, but my brain says GTA...because I can see this getting a price cut in like a month.

Get The Wonderful 101 it's the better game and deserve the sale.

Yeah I am biased as hell. ;p

The Boat

Nintendo published games rarely drop in price fast, if at all. You'll probably be able to get it used, but don't do that to Kamiya.
EDIT: By the way, it's a bit late, but can someone Wonderful-ize my avatar? Don't know if the clean version will look better, so here it is:
CZ7FwM6.jpg

balohna

Actually, it's a Nintendo-published game so if it does drop in price it'll probably be by $10-15
within the next year or so. Take 2 (2K/Rockstar) tend to lower their prices much quicker. BioShock Infinite is already cheap. GTAV will probably go down in price after Christmas.

TDLink

Go with W101. GTA is the one more likely to price drop quicker. Nintendo games rarely drop in price quickly, and with this game getting a seemingly limited run the physical copies will only appreciate in value rather than end up in the bargain bin.

Trust me, you won't regret Wonderful 101.

Timeaisis

Alright, I'm going with my heart! Ah, GAF, you guys are so smart.

I'm sure I won't be disappointed. That being said, I hope I can find a copy. Don't really feel like taking up 10 GB on my Wii U.

Fandangox

I don't know all about Price (Sin and Punishment can be found pretty cheap nowadays) but I am pretty much sure this will be a rare game in the future due to low shipments, if you want a physical copy of both GTAV and W101 I recommend at least get W101 cause there's no doubt of GTAV being on shelves for a long time.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I... just finished op 005. I need to recoup from what just might have been the most awesome series of events in a videogame...ever.

Cosmozone

Query: for how many people is The Wonderful 101 their first Platinum game? Or: Who missed out on Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Vanquish?
Yeah, it's the first Platinum game I played. I also have bought Vanquish, Bayonetta and Mad World, but haven't touched them yet except some 30min of Mad World. Will get MGR when it drops in price.

Alas, due to time constraints, I'm putting most newly bought games straight to backlog, but W101 looked so fresh and interesting enough to play it to the finish right away, which happens with very few games. Being a new IP without the need to catch up with any predecessors also helped. And it totally paid off.

bart64

Banned
Query: for how many people is The Wonderful 101 their first Platinum game? Or: Who missed out on Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and Vanquish?
I bought Viewtiful Joe but never finished it because I couldn't figure out how to work the combos. Played Bayonetta for a few hours at a friend's house and did ok but still felt overwhelmed and painfully aware of a layer of depth I was missing. I was paranoid after reading the posts here that this game would also be too demanding, but I think that by checking in here I have picked up more than enough tips. I'm playing on normal and I'm completely engrossed--like I finally figured out how to play a real action game!

It's like my cautious attitude prepared me perfectly for this game--being careful and attentive pays off big time in this game.

The most impressive thing for me is the drawing mechanic inspired by Okami. I like Street Fighter type inputs but there is such a barrier there because you have no feedback from the game--no way to know why the fireball is not working, you just have to keep trying. This game gives you visual feedback, and goes even further by allowing you to draw out the more difficult moves. It's brilliant.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I love how Kamiya games always take the time to justify all the crazy stuff that happens on screen through very elaborate lore. It's completely unnecessary honestly but it makes the games so much cooler.

Same. Loved it in Bayonetta and love it here

Fandangox

Didn't expect this game to make me laugh. Like the humor at face value seems like something that would not appeal to me, but it still makes me laugh, there's something making it good.

Edit: DIPLOMACY HAS FAILED

I don't know if a game has ever touched my inner child the way this one has. On one level, I can appreciate the depth of the systems, recognize and contextualize the aesthetics (tokusatsu-meets-superhero-comic with a tilt-shift camera and diorama-like environments), and enjoy the varied encounter design. But deep down, what's going on inside me looks more like this: woah, it's that giant robot again! oh man i think i'm gonna take him down this time! team, unite up! hey blue laser i can reflect that with my sword take this! ha! UNITE HAND! wonder-medicine can really handle himself with that gun stinger. holy craplookout!!!! YES!!!!!

I've taken to saying "roger" with the team when Wonder-Red gives the command to unite up. The first time I did it, my wife looked up from her laptop and said, "did you really just say that with them?" Well, of course I did. I'm part of the team. I'm number 101.

JoeFenix

I don't know if a game has ever touched my inner child the way this one has. On one level, I can appreciate the depth of the systems, recognize and contextualize the aesthetics (tokusatsu-meets-superhero-comic with a tilt-shift camera and diorama-like environments), and enjoy the varied encounter design. But deep down, what's going on inside me looks more like this: woah, it's that giant robot again! oh man i think i'm gonna take him down this time! team, unite up! hey blue laser i can reflect that with my sword take this! ha! UNITE HAND! wonder-medicine can really handle himself with that gun stinger. holy craplookout!!!! YES!!!!!

I've taken to saying "roger" with the team when Wonder-Red gives the command to unite up. The first time I did it, my wife looked up from her laptop and said, "did you really just say that with them?" Well, of course I did. I'm part of the team. I'm number 101.

Living the dream!

NotLiquid

Man. When I first started playing this game, I got to see the thread evolve as I progressed with the game.

Now that America has finally gotten the game, I get to see so many new people getting to experience just how awesome the game is. It's incredibly cool to see, I really love reading the reactions. The game is fantastic, even though it came out in an iffy timeframe, it's great to see the love.

Maybe at the end of the game you guys will be like me and leave the ending still on for a good 30 minutes just appreciating how well it caps off.

Frodo

I chuckled a little! ^^

tee hee

kiryogi

Banned

Wonderful 101, SALUTE!

rawktapus

I just found wonder
Santa
. This game is amazing! What's the advantage of switching leaders? I feel like I'm missing something, but I haven't noticed differences between say, wonder red and wonder beer.

TDLink

I just found wonder
Santa
. This game is amazing! What's the advantage of switching leaders? I feel like I'm missing something, but I haven't noticed differences between say, wonder red and wonder beer.

Each Wonderful One has 4 ranks. Using any of a particular weapon type will help rank up all of those of that weapon type, but the one you are using in particular will rank up faster. The more Wonderful Ones you have ranked up, the more skills you learn for that particular weapon type. You also gain vitality meter by ranking up more people.

balohna

Can you choose to change your leader? I seem to randomly have different non-colour leaders. Like I had a little kid with a cape leading my group in the first stage for quite a while.

And as fun as this game is, I think the no tutorial complaints are legit. I've had to find out about things through trial and error with the logic "there must be a better way to do this". Stuff like steadying the camera when you're indoors.

rawktapus

Each Wonderful One has 4 ranks. Using any of a particular weapon type will help rank up all of those of that weapon type, but the one you are using in particular will rank up faster. The more Wonderful Ones you have ranked up, the more skills you learn for that particular weapon type. You also gain vitality meter by ranking up more people.

Ah I see, so no different attack properties, they just rank up faster when in the lead.

Can you choose to change your leader? I seem to randomly have different non-colour leaders. Like I had a little kid with a cape leading my group in the first stage for quite a while.

Yeah there's a menu on the bottom of the game pad that brings up all your wonderful ones. Each one is assigned a different weapon, so you can have them be the one who uses the unite morphs. It switches back to the default colors during quick time events, though.

daakusedo

That time requirement for prologue kakhoo is strict.
And I don't know why but ukemi doesn't work on this one, you get damage in the ranking even when landed. Probably a specificity of playing with one hero...

Proven

Hopefully someone can understand my issue. I made it to 1-C, just after the Baseball Stadium. I went back and played the first mission after the prologue but I could not figure out how to make it back to my portion in the main story with out beating the first 2 levels first. Did I rewrite my data so that those missions weren't complete? I had all my gear and green wonder dude but I couldn't get back to my current point in the story until I beat everything all over again. I think...

Don't choose "Next Mission", choose "Select Operation". You can even go into the pause menu at any time to select a different Operation.

I know it's not for me, but I never did play Revengeance or Vanquish. Owned every other Platinum/Clover developed game though.

Before the NA release, I was watching a ton of youtube videos and did the same thing.

But now that I'm actually playing the game, I'm finding myself saying "Unite Up!" at the same time as Red instead.

That time requirement for prologue kakhoo is strict.
And I don't know why but ukemi doesn't work on this one, you get damage in the ranking even when landed. Probably a specificity of playing with one hero...

This seems to happen in all of the kahkoos for me.

And as fun as this game is, I think the no tutorial complaints are legit. I've had to find out about things through trial and error with the logic "there must be a better way to do this". Stuff like steadying the camera when you're indoors.
Shrug. Figuring out what you can and can't do is part of the fun.

Ah I see, so no different attack properties, they just rank up faster when in the lead.

Yeah there's a menu on the bottom of the game pad that brings up all your wonderful ones. Each one is assigned a different weapon, so you can have them be the one who uses the unite morphs. It switches back to the default colors during quick time events, though.

You can also bring up the menu by pressing Up on the Dpad.

JoeFu

Banned
Soo when they activate the Shirogane drives... I'm not the only one doing the thumbs down/up thing right? I feel so silly everytime, but its oh so awesome.

Anteo

Me, but I only had a wii for the latter half of last gen, a 3ds since launch and a WiiU recently.

Before that I just had a PC (And before that a PS1)

I still dont have the game, I dont want the digital version, will wait for importers to get the game here.

Anbec7

So I gotta ask... how did it go in sales with this game over this side of the world?

I mean my copy arrives next week :) but I just played the demo and I really want a sequel!

FYC

Banned
The last two Operations are masterpieces. Oh my god. Jesus Christ. Holy shit.

I think this is my favorite Platinum game.

Guesong

I tried the demo of Vanquish and I thought it was kind of horrible.

This'll be my first full Platinum Games experience!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

I've played Viewtiful Joe and Okami if that counts.
I also played a bit of Bayonetta.

JoeFenix

OMG!

Just finished Operation 2, anyone who said this should have been a 15$ DLC game ought to be ashamed of themselves. I can't believe how consistently incredible this game has been, it's unbelievable.

Loading screen: JOIN THE GUYZOCH!
Bwahahaha! This game is hilarious!

I'm losing it, the combat system is soooo good. I'm thinking of going back to replay Operation 1 and 2 just to get some Pure Plats but I'll just keep going. Stinger with Gun is so much fun in mid air after a double Sword launcher!

Fandangox

For the record, I would not be 100% against a mod changing the title to "Diplomacy has failed!"

you know

if it happened in the dead of night or something

I am all up for the change. Also its probably cause English is not my my main language, but could someone explain to me what the pun(?) in "Feel of 202" is?

OMG!

Just finished Operation 2, anyone who said this should have been a 15$ DLC game should be ashamed of themselves. I can't believe how consistently incredible this game has been, it's unbelievable.

I'm losing it, the combat system is soooo good. I'm thinking of going back to replay Operation 1 and 2 just to get some Pure Plats but I'll just keep going. Stinger with Gun is so much fun in mid air after a double Sword launcher!

I'm taking my time with this game and it's odd.

I usually go through a much-anticipated game straight through but I find myself progressing here, then wanting to play the previous levels to figure out cooler ways to beat the shit out of the enemies and then play a few more newer levels, then back to the previous ones.

Heck, I even replay some earlier levels that I got Platinum on.

I'm on Operation 003 in story mode and this shit is bonkers.

While I have enjoyed regular encounters more than boss battles, it's really because I have a better grasp of the mechanics and what to do in those situations.

Also, not sure about the different kinds of gameplay they throw at you outside of the most prevalent kind.

It isn't always compelling but if I had to decide, I'm glad they are in there for variety sake and for spectacle.

Fandangox

I'm taking my time with this game and it's odd.

I usually go through a much-anticipated game straight through but I find myself progressing here, then wanting to play the previous levels to figure out cooler ways to beat the shit out of the enemies and then play a few more newer levels, then back to the previous ones.

This is pretty much what I have been doing.

Revven

This fucking game. I just played through the first operation and a little of the next one (had a short time to play). Holy shit, I am in love already...!

I busted out laughing at the part for some reason. I wasn't expecting it at all and I thought it was hilarious. Really love how funny this game is. I think Blue is the funniest since he's such a bro and his delivery is spot on. Another part I thought was funny was (Operation 002 maybe?)
the faces of Blue and Green when Red told them his test scores
. Love the little clay looking portrait shots.

After reading impressions from those who played it back in August, I didn't really think it would be as crazy as it is. I try to keep my expectations in check and try not to get hyped up by what might be hyperbole, but really, everything everyone was saying was so true. That first boss fight was so over the top and intense, most games spend the whole time building up to moments like that for the finale, but it's just the first boss of this game.

Just finished Operation 004 last night and it's been an awesome ride so far, and from the sounds of it I have one hell of an Operation coming up in 005. Can't wait.

Salih

oh boi - getting Platinum trophy in every Operation on normal is pretty hard. I made it till Operation 007 but didn't get it on 005C and 006B. Anyone else trying this?

Top Bottom