• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

JoeFenix

I just finished Operation 5.....

If I ever get the chance to meet Kamiya in person I will awkwardly shake his hand for 5 minutes without letting go. This is some next level stuff. Truly truly incredible. The Nintendo references/homages are pitch perfect.

This is better than the finale of any other game I can think of and it's the halfway point. I have to stop for now because It's overwhelmingly good. Easily Platinum's best game so far.

If you have ANY interest in this game please drop everything you're doing and dive right in. Why is this not getting the recognition and visibility it deserves?

FYC

Banned
I saw that r/gaming on Reddit has a W101 banner, and I searched around to see what people had to say about it. Fucking Reddit, man.

Why would you read reddit comments, especially r/gaming?

lol at this

Never heard of '101'? Don't worry neither had I. I had to look it up. It's some isometric game with terrible controls for the wiiu. It currently has 7.4 on IGN, not exactly game of the year material.

On the bright side, I stumbled upon this. Neat.

7LFEwMI.jpg

Just finished this. Absolutely incredible game, I can't wait to see all of the hidden secrets and unlockables!

I loved all the references too, especially the Viewtiful Joe one at the end. Ending spoiler:
Platinum Majin!

TDLink

Finished Operations 7 and 8 tonight. 7 is definitely the low point of the game. Was it a victim of crunch time? It was a lot shorter than the others, didn't feel as fun, and the entire thing while cool in concept just wasn't really executed in Wonderful 101's typical awesome style. The boss was still cool at least. Operation 8 was a return to form of course, the story really got kind of dark there. Can't wait to see what happens next...but I have to until tomorrow.

RetroMG

Maaan, I was going to pick up the digital copy of this, had the money in my wallet and everything, but... 13 gigs? That's insane. I'd have to wipe out a bunch of my other games to get this. And not that I'm unwilling to delete Game and Wario and Nintendoland, but my nieces and nephews love those.

/sigh, I guess I'll start looking for an external drive.

JoeFenix

Went back and Pure Platinum'd Prologue and 1-A.

I'm learning the nuances and picking up tricks, this game has depth no doubt. Other than the loading times and some problems with the unite morphs I don't have any complaints.

Are the loading times significantly reduced on the digital version? Also, can you back up your save files on the Wii U? I'm looking to invest some serious time into this and want to make sure I can make a copy of my data incase the console breaks.

Fandangox

Maaan, I was going to pick up the digital copy of this, had the money in my wallet and everything, but... 13 gigs? That's insane. I'd have to wipe out a bunch of my other games to get this. And not that I'm unwilling to delete Game and Wario and Nintendoland, but my nieces and nephews love those.

/sigh, I guess I'll start looking for an external drive.

Get it Physical, that boxart is calling.

Does anyone have a good strategy for the turtles you encounter just after getting Wonder Yellow? I try to constantly dodge behind them to wait for their back leg to stomp, but it takes a lot of time and it's easy to get damaged.

chronosic

Does anyone have a good strategy for the turtles you encounter just after getting Wonder Yellow? I try to constantly dodge behind them to wait for their back leg to stomp, but it takes a lot of time and it's easy to get damaged.
Block their stomps with guts and it unbalances them. Switch to fist and hit them to make them flip on their backs, and go ham.

Fandangox

If you successfully Unite Guts their stomping attack they will begin to stand in a leg trying to not fall. After that immediately get under them, and unite a big hammer, the creation of the hammer should flip the turtle down and leave it open for attack.

Watch out for their head attack, that's the hardest one to doge.

I just take pot shots at their backs with Yellow while they are between attacks. If I stagger them well enough I'll go for a big hammer and take at least a quarter off. Once their shells are cracked open and you can see their insides, you can use other weapons to get the job don.....

Block their stomps with guts and it unbalances them. Switch to fist and hit them to make them flip on their backs, and go ham.
If you successfully Unite Guts their stomping attack they will begin to stand in a leg trying to not fall. After that immediately get under them, and unite a big hammer, the creation of the hammer should flip the turtle down and leave it open for attack.

Watch out for their head attack, that's the hardest one to doge.
wee-bey-oh-shit.gif

chronosic

I just take pot shots at their backs with Yellow while they are between attacks. If I stagger them well enough I'll go for a big hammer and take at least a quarter off. Once their shells are cracked open and you can see their insides, you can use other weapons to get the job don.....

wee-bey-oh-shit.gif
Also, when you have their shells off, you can one hit stun them with the whip from various points on their bodies, but I'm not quite sure how to take that to the next level.

Is there a quick way/surefire way to grab on to armor pieces from spiked enemies? I just keep attacking away and it feels like its hit or miss whether it grabs something. Do you need to specifically aim for the piece too?

popyea

Also, when you have their shells off, you can one hit stun them with the whip from various points on their bodies, but I'm not quite sure how to take that to the next level.

Might just be a hint that you can use the whip to throw them when they're on their backs.

When they got their full shell and you whip their tail, they're stunned for a second with the forelegs up. But that's probably just useful in multiplayer.

Air

Banned
Is there a quick way/surefire way to grab on to armor pieces from spiked enemies? I just keep attacking away and it feels like its hit or miss whether it grabs something. Do you need to specifically aim for the piece too?

For the bipedal ones (gedie dough goo) when they spin into a ball, use a really large whip and attack them. You can remove the spikes in 2-3 turns (spin-remove armor-spin-etc.)

popyea

Can you dunk them into other enemies with that attack?

I don't know. Works when your team throws an enemy, but I've never hit another while using the whip.

Why am I not remembering this? You don't get turned into a
dog
in Bayo right?

I played the hell out of that game and I really don't remember that at all.

I think just that
Vijounne looks kind of like Bayo.
I don't really think they're similar enough for it to be a reference though.

Omzz

Just a minor question, nothing too big. But sometimes during the levels when im switching around weapons during battle, Wonder-Blue doesn't seem to be the one im maining when using a sword, it's another hero.

Why does it switch like that? Curious

For the bipedal ones (gedie dough goo) when they spin into a ball, use a really large whip and attack them. You can remove the spikes in 2-3 turns (spin-remove armor-spin-etc.)

Cool, I'll try that out.

Just a minor question, nothing too big. But sometimes during the levels when im switching around weapons during battle, Wonder-Blue doesn't seem to be the one im maining when using a sword, it's another hero.

Why does it switch like that? Curious

My guess is either you switched him when switching leaders in the menu while pressing Up on the D-Pad, or he got used in some other morph and thus was unavailable

Yeah larger whips grab more segments at once. Makes killing those guys a lot faster.

Haven't seen it mentioned but it took me a while to realize you can use the whip to fish the shark guys out of the ground. It's really cool how there's all of these hidden tricks with the enemies.

Just finished. Wonderful game. I was not expecting
Mother Brain
to be in the game lol. Definitely a GOTY contender. Kamiya wasn't lying when he said about a 20 hr playthrough. I played on Normal and finished just under 17 hrs with my activity log saying just over 26. Now on to play something completely different. Just ordered 5 Wii games I missed out on. Think I'll go with Cursed Mountain.

Evenflow

Just cleared operation 003. Good lord is this game incredible, pure fun, hard to put in words. Am I the only one getting a Star Fox 64 vibe from the dialogue/cutscenes?

Proven

So I finally finished the game. I had a whole list of comments I wrote down while going through Operation 7 and 8, but now after 9 I just want to say fuck it and turn my brain off. Still, I'll mention one thing at least: At the very end I got the achievement for 100 successful Ukemi's, but I still don't have the achievement for 10 successful Dodge Evades. Considering my Ukemi success rate is somewhere around 60%, I got my face kicked in a lot.

A lot of the stages aren't actually that hard to Pure Platinum. But it's going to be an arduous task if I've been relying on Ukemi this much.

Also, taking a look in the secrets menu...
FIFTEEN SECRET CHARACTERS? I know that you can guess 6 or 7 based on silhouettes thanks to Story mode, we know Wonder Director exists, and three others were spoiled at PAX. But that still leaves about 5 we don't know?

Oh and final count was 88 or 89 Wonderful Ones found. Finding the rest might become annoying.

I wonder how far Saur is towards unlocking content.

Surprising we haven't seen him do anything with Wonderful Forever or Platinum Forever, or any of the secret characters.

I guess he's taking it slow. Don't blame him. There are so many tools in this game it's nuts.

Haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time. You know a game is good when it consumes your thoughts during your regular day. Got an exam in an hour and all I can think about is getting back home and playing more 101.
I've actually been talking back and forth with him on Youtube. He finished Normal mode and is just taking his time getting Platinums on each of the stages while recording footage for his System Breakdown. He wants to finish that before he does any other playthroughs. He actually messaged me this morning about now noticing the Bomb + Attack Liner combination.

Also, I had this happen to me a few days ago but Saur confirmed it for me: If you have Hero Time equipped and try to quickly dodge twice to evade an attack, you may go into Unite Ball with huge burst of speed and get way out of the way.

God Hand reference when
fighting Vijounne with Blue and her hearts turn him into a dog
???

This game is completely out of control haha!
Ah, I never put much thought during that. Nice thing to notice.
Not a dog but in your younger self. But you're helpless like a puppy ;)
I actually don't remember this happening to me in gameplay...

JoeFenix

A lot of the stages aren't actually that hard to Pure Platinum. But it's going to be an arduous task if I've been relying on Ukemi this much.

I did Prologue and Operation 1 Pure Platinum and it's challenging in certain sections because even with the retry option you have to string together 3-4 missions at a time. No saving in between.

Some of the requirement are kind of strict in terms of either time or scoring so you really need to have a solid grasp of the game to pull it off.

It's incredibly fun though other than the awful load times. I'm seriously considering buying the digital version if that loads quicker and I can use my save file. Does anyone know how much of a difference there is compared to the disc version?

Just cleared operation 003. Good lord is this game incredible, pure fun, hard to put in words. Am I the only one getting a Star Fox 64 vibe from the dialogue/cutscenes?

I was actually going to mention that earlier, I totally get a SF64 vibe at certain spots and I can't pinpoint why. I think the music really reminds me of that game during certain sections.

There's a strong Nintendo vibe going on in this game.

Varjet

God Hand reference when
fighting Vijounne with Blue and her hearts turn him into a dog
???
Don't know about God Hand, but I sure as hell noticed the Viewtiful Joe reference before the fight. :p

At the very end I got the achievement for 100 successful Ukemi's, but I still don't have the achievement for 10 successful Dodge Evades.

I think what you have to do for that one is getting the evade bonus ten times in one mission.

Man, just got Wonder Yellow and those fucking turtles are doing way too much damage to me. I can never get the hammer to stay big, and it's so damn slow I get hit by those fire things from under the ground :\

Thank goodness for the tips above, I don't know why I didn't think of going jello under their feet when they stomp.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just finished up the game and GOD DAMN THAT WAS AMAZING!

I started laughing when Red was tapping along with me during the QTE and I just lost it when it revealed the whole team doing so; good thing I didn't lose the QTE though.

I can't wait to go through it again.

Proven

Ah, I also forgot to mention how much Operation 008
gave me Evangelion vibes. From the moment they revealed Platinum Robo she felt like a female, and the powerup for Operation 009 didn't dissuade that at all.

Alright, this time I'm going to bed for real.

I am genuinely impressed by anyone that can play this game. I've tried the demo three times and can't even tell what I'm looking at half the time, let alone play successfully.

Just finished up the game and GOD DAMN THAT WAS AMAZING!

I started laughing when Red was tapping along with me during the QTE and I just lost it when it revealed the whole team doing so; good thing I didn't lose the QTE though.

I can't wait to go through it again.

HAHA I was laughing at the same thing last night. I almost screwed that section up because of it.

Fantastic game, I've been trying to tell everyone I know that under it's colorful skin lies one of the most hardcore games I've played in recent memory.

JoeFenix

Anyone know what's up with the combo requirement for PP on the Kahkoo-Regah in 1-B?

I've tried everything I can think of and still nothing.... always gold on combo, it just doesn't make sense!

I am genuinely impressed by anyone that can play this game. I've tried the demo three times and can't even tell what I'm looking at half the time, let alone play successfully.

I had this problem as well, but it went away eventually. It wasn't until probably 003 that I became comfortable with the controls and keeping track of my character amidst the chaos, and probably not until halfway through the game that I would say I mastered the controls.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man, just got Wonder Yellow and those fucking turtles are doing way too much damage to me. I can never get the hammer to stay big, and it's so damn slow I get hit by those fire things from under the ground :\

Thank goodness for the tips above, I don't know why I didn't think of going jello under their feet when they stomp.

I don't bother using Unite gut for the turtles and instead I just combo Wonder rising (unite Hammer version) and quickly attack again when on my descend.

I was like that at first but slowly after a while but it wasn't a problem during my fourth time playing the demo which led to be getting a gold rank.

I'm up to Operation 003-C, and I feel like I'm not finding a lot of secrets. Are there any general tips on finding hidden items and secret missions?

Top Bottom