• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Operation 005. That boss fight was hilarious! :D

JoeFenix

Knocked out 3-B with Pure Platinum, short chapter but has some sections that were annoying until I fully understood how to deal with them.

Made a huge discovery when fighting the turtles,
wonder cyclone with hammer ANNIHILATES them
. I can finally say they I have no more problem fighting them!

zlCfzRIiexM_H_uqUG

Does hanging around in a stage while not in the middle of any missions affect my overall ranking?

Can't say for certain yet but I really don't think it does. The ranking system seems to only count what happens during missions so if you don't see "mission 00X" in the top right corner you're good. You can even take damage in those instances and that definitely doesn't affect your rank or even show up on the result screen.

aechris

Ending:
Oooooh my god that ending! It was sooooo long but sooooo good. I am near speechless. It's exactly what I wanted in a game. The ultra final world power big bang little bang thing at the end was hilarious, and then I lost it when they were all pounding on the buttons; so funny. I know I am gushing, but wow. Haven't been this excited about a game in a long, long time.

This game is incredible. INCREDIBLE. WONDERFUL.

Fandangox

It definitively is. That Bottlecap is the last one I need to unlock that character, but having to go through the entire boss fight to get to the
boxing match
(and sometimes getting hit very early on) is frustrating.

olimpia84

So I got the game today taking advantage of that Target promo. Is there any way I can play this exclusively on the Wii Pro controller? I'm asking because I got stuck at that warehouse in the first operation where you have to turn the knobs to get the right code. I couldn't figure out how to change views and ended up having to turn on the gamepad

Man reading all those positive reactions in this thread makes me sad. I just can't get any enjoyment out of this game. I simply fail at understanding what the fuck the game expects me to do. :( I just use trial and error most of the time and it's just no fun like that.
I feel like this ruins most of the setpieces and funny moments, because I'm just too frustrated the whole time.

Sigh. I think I'm ready to give up on the game, but since it was a present I kinda feel obligated to at the very least finish it. Going to be a real struggle.

Regiruler

+3 sales for this month. Thank you buy 2 get 1 free at target. Splitting it evenly with friends.

IMG_20130922_161526_439_zps5a00bfd6.jpg

You should have totally told the cashier: "I want to play it three times".
So how is it guys?
The final boss is the best thing ever.
Man reading all those positive reactions in this thread makes me sad. I just can't get any enjoyment out of this game. I simply fail at understanding what the fuck the game expects me to do. :( I just use trial and error most of the time and it's just no fun like that.
I feel like this ruins most of the setpieces and funny moments, because I'm just too frustrated the whole time.

Sigh. I think I'm ready to give up on the game, but since it was a present I kinda feel obligated to at the very least finish it. Going to be a real struggle.
When possible, buy the Hero Sense and Hero Time custom blocks using credit cards (crafted via the vegetables). They reduce frustration and make things a bit easier by slowing down time.

Fandangox

So I got the game today taking advantage of that Target promo. Is there any way I can play this exclusively on the Wii Pro controller? I'm asking because I got stuck at that warehouse in the first operation where you have to turn the knobs to get the right code. I couldn't figure out how to change views and ended up having to turn on the gamepad

Press Minus (-) on the controller.

There will be sections were you will be needing both screens, so make it so the little screen appears in the lower right corner.

JoeFenix

I love Wonder-Yellow, his catchphrase should have been "YES, TOVARICH!". He sounds exactly like Boris in Metal Gear Rising.

Let us know exactly what is giving you the most trouble and we can potentially help you understand the way the game works a bit more. It's definitely overwhelmingly relentless as far as throwing new things and situations at you so you might want to replay an earlier chapter with no pressure just to get a good feel for the basics.

Riposte

I beat it. Don't know if I fully understand the combat system yet, because it can be quite tedious. I'm spending too much time gathering my men. Even if I avoid damage, they get swatted all over the place (and man, those low-man fights are so annoying since they are tied to my evasion moves). I'll probably have to do some research before I come to any conclusions on it.

Camera can be really distracting at times. Like, literally, being unable to see what is going on because of walls or awkward angles or there being too many small enemies surrounding a boss (should know who I'm talking about). I didn't even have that many complaints with Metal Gear Rising's camera (maybe it is the zoomed out scope). Oh, and the angle can be weird for unite morphs or platforming.

I also really dislike some of the set pieces. You ride on top on the Virgin Victory a bunch, but I can't say I enjoyed the amount of time I spent on it. I get the feeling this game is going to have Bayonetta's syndrome of awesome boss fights locked away behind annoying vehicle sections. (The STG parts were fine with me though.) Another set piece that bothered me was whenever they make you play as one character. There is just nothing interesting about that.

It is funny I find Red to be the most amusing character in the game. He's suppose to be the team's "Red Ranger/Cyclopes/generic leader" who's not suppose to be as cool as the "Green Ranger/Wolverine/rival", but his oblivious cliche spouting make up the game's best gags/moments. Other than that, I like Blue+Green ripping on each other. The rest are okay. Red makes everyone else better.

Music is kind of a disappointment following up Anarchy Reigns and Metal Gear Rising. The main theme and the climax theme are really good, but everything else... not really feeling it. Though the climax theme is hype, I would put the soundtrack behind even Vanquish - which at least had the decency to have an awesome final boss song. I was really hyped about Platinum putting out the three best soundtracks this year, but was not meant to be. The other two are still may top two though.

Also this is easily Platinum's most sexist game lol. It is funny how every female hero I find is tied to a gendered profession or activity (e.g. shopping, ballerina). Also every female lead gets a widely blatant ass shot during their introduction. And Pink... it is like they took three female roles and put it into one annoying one (though she had her moments).

daakusedo

Today was EXHAUSTING!
I tried pure pla on 1-A normal. So the checkpoint system is a pain. Sometimes you have to do 2 or 3 missions before it save and then you have missions that don't let you retry after finishing them, so first secret mission and the bridge mission for 1-a, and that later one is near the end so I can tell you I raged.

But during my first try I did everything without too much problem BUT... yesterday I leveled up and this game had the bright idea to put the automatic module in the new slot available and of course I didn't know about it...
Apparently you can't post to highscore miiverse, so maybe it doesn't prevent pure pla, but in the end I still got only platinum...

And now during several retries, two freezes, a mission that glitched, I wasn't able anymore to PP the bridge mission. The first time I didn't know the requirements, the fact that you can retry it after the results and well it worked.
But now I can't get under 1:04 without missing the combo score, I'm totally lost and greatly irritated with those loading times and moreover how the kakhoo retry works, as the one from this mission is a pain if you get hit cause the enemies take an eternity to kill you.

I love Wonder-Yellow, his catchphrase should have been "YES, TOVARICH!". He sounds exactly like Boris in Metal Gear Rising.

Let us know exactly what is giving you the most trouble and we can potentially help you understand the way the game works a bit more. It's definitely overwhelmingly relentless as far as throwing new things and situations at you so you might want to replay an earlier chapter with no pressure just to get a good feel for the basics.
I just can't seem to get to grip with the games internal logic. Nothing feels intuitive. Everything just feels arbitrary and set up for trial and error. If the game is somehow communicating it's intentions I'm probanly just too stupid to grasp it.

Regiruler

Music is kind of a disappointment following up Anarchy Reigns and Metal Gear Rising. The main theme and the climax theme are really good, but everything else... not really feeling it. Though the climax theme is hype, I would put the soundtrack behind even Vanquish - which at least had the decency to have an awesome final boss song. I was really hyped about Platinum putting out the three best soundtracks this year, but was not meant to be. The other two are still may top two though.

Also this is easily Platinum's most sexist game lol. It is funny how every female hero I find is tied to a gendered profession or activity (e.g. shopping, ballerina). Also every female lead gets a widely blatant ass shot during their introduction. And Pink... it is like they took three female roles and put it into one annoying one (though she had her moments).

I actually thought music was a strong point but the action kinda made it hard to hear at times.

As for your sexist point I actually think Immorta was done reasonably well (other than the ass shot), the others not so much.

Regiruler

Can I get some strategies for the enemy with the chainsaw sword and the two types that were introduced after getting Wonder Black?

Chainsaw sword's strategy is identical to Laambo's and Walltha's: unite spring to the back after he blocked an attack and punish him from behind. For the speed enemies, unite bomb then climb attack, switch weapons then proceed to juggle.

Riposte

Hmm, maybe there is more songs I like than I thought. Apparently I'm remember more than one song being the same. Not that I'm saying the music was bad, but it didn't really have an effect on me like P*'s other games - other than the climax music, that is.

Regiruler

Hmm, maybe there is more songs I like than I thought. Apparently I'm remember more than one song being the same. Not that I'm saying the music was bad, but it didn't really have an effect on me like P*'s other games - other than the climax music, that is.

Yeah, unlocking the music gallery gave me a greater appreciation for the music in game.

EDIT: I'll give
Jergingha
one thing: he's probably the longest final boss I've ever played against.

Stay away spoilers! I'm trying to get some tips dammit!

Anyway, finding myself getting my ass kicked, partially because I'm not sure on a few mechanics.
1: The whip. How the fuck does it work? It seems that I have to just whip the shit out of something 20 times until it stumbles, and then I whip it and maybe something gets pulled off. In a game like this, surely there's a quicker way that just whipping it 1000 times to get all the armor off, right?
2: Unite Gauge recharge. What speeds it up? I know there's a block for it, but there's gotta be more. Does doing team attacks build it up? Dodging? What?
3: I'm looking at this Treasure Sensor. What exactly does it pick up? Platinum Coins? Wonderful ones? Just things like Space Carrots? I'd love if I had something that pointed out some of the hidden item's locations just a little better, I feel like I am missing a LOT of stuff.

JoeFenix

I just hit a very interesting glitch. During the loading time I was buffering a wonder-line and for some reason when I activated it the game went into ULTRA slow mo, I'm talking 2% regular speed here. It kept loading normally so I didn't think much of it but now my guys are the Wonderful 002% in 3-C. I kinda want to take a video of it because I don't know just how crazy this is going to get lol.

Frodo

Stay away spoilers! I'm trying to get some tips dammit!

Anyway, finding myself getting my ass kicked, partially because I'm not sure on a few mechanics.
1: The whip. How the fuck does it work? It seems that I have to just whip the shit out of something 20 times until it stumbles, and then I whip it and maybe something gets pulled off. In a game like this, surely there's a quicker way that just whipping it 1000 times to get all the armor off, right?

Bigger whip requires less hits to break armour. Go big.

2: Unite Gauge recharge. What speeds it up? I know there's a block for it, but there's gotta be more. Does doing team attacks build it up? Dodging? What?

Energy converter helps, but not at the speed you probably want. Some modules will use more energy. You need to consider if its worth losing your gauge for the effect it gives you.

3: I'm looking at this Treasure Sensor. What exactly does it pick up? Platinum Coins? Wonderful ones? Just things like Space Carrots? I'd love if I had something that pointed out some of the hidden item's locations just a little better, I feel like I am missing a LOT of stuff.

If finds treasures. Like platinum coins (though not all of them, for what I've seen), items and et cetera. It won't find new heroes, though. Hammer everything.

Frodo

I just hit a very interesting glitch. During the loading time I was buffering a wonder-line and for some reason when I activated it the game went into ULTRA slow mo, I'm talking 2% regular speed here. It kept loading normally so I didn't think much of it but now my guys are the Wonderful 002% in 3-C. I kinda want to take a video of it because I don't know just how crazy this is going to get lol.

This happened to me on the 005-C. It took half an hour for me to finish a part of the game that takes no more than a minute, if that. LOL

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know which bosses I like more. I'll have to play a bit more before comparing it to Rising.(because right now it wins easy)

I like Final Gerginga more right now because nothing on earth is more satisfying to me than Parrying his punch and instantly bringing out a planet sized fist to vaporize his health bars. He's not as quotable as Armstrong I guess but he's a much more satisfying encounter.(Although Armstrong is probably one of the best Rising has to offer)

Almost finishing up my collectable normal run. After that I'm gonna do my PP run and then I'll be in a better place to compare encounters to previous games I feel.

Camera can be really distracting at times. Like, literally, being unable to see what is going on because of walls or awkward angles or there being too many small enemies surrounding a boss (should know who I'm talking about). I didn't even have that many complaints with Metal Gear Rising's camera (maybe it is the zoomed out scope). Oh, and the angle can be weird for unite morphs or platforming.

I actually like the fixed position personally. It makes positioning alot more consistent than most action games I feel. You just have to pick the right spots on screen.

It can get problematic when an enemy gets in between you and the camera, but I think that can be consistently controlled to where that's not an issue.

Regiruler

If you don't get a platinum damage out of that I am dissapointed.

Riposte

So when you continue after a defeat, it brings you back exactly where you left off - enemy health being the same and all that. Am I crazy or is this new to Platinum? Not exactly a design choice I like, but I don't know if I'll ever be continuing after a death for future plays.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So when you continue after a defeat, it brings you back exactly where you left off - enemy health being the same and all that. Am I crazy or is this new to Platinum? Not exactly a design choice I like, but I don't know if I'll ever be continuing after a death for future plays.

It's new yes and given how so much of the game seems to be going over new players heads, I think it's a good design decision and absolutely needed in this game

Llyranor

Just finished 4A. Loooooving the game so far.
It's new yes and given how so much of the game seems to be going over new players heads, I think it's a good design decision and absolutely needed in this game

Should have given the option to restart the fight with your original hp, though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Are there checkpoints mid-operations? I haven't really stopped mid-way.

Yes. Not after every ranked fight specifically(retry might make you replay 2-3 in succession) but you guys would probably like it more that way

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
all I have to say is THANK GOD for unlimited continues. I'm playing on normal and this is the most difficult game I've played in years

Top Bottom