• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Riposte

Restarting to checkpoints can surprisingly/inconsistently punishing. I just continued after my deaths on stages that had shooting parts I didn't like since I didn't want to risk playing those again. IIRC this was most boss fights.

I had 0 interest in this, as I'm not really a fan of modern day beat em ups, and haven't enjoyed a Platinum game to date.

I downloaded the demo on my new Wii U, and, surprisingly, had a blast. Do you guys think that I'll enjoy the full game based on the demo? My main problem with Platinum games is (1) usually, very short lenght, (2) very few enemies, which you're using the same moves on over and over.

Like has been stated before, this game is anything but short.

Roto13

I think I remember them saying they want the whole game to feel like you were fighting the final boss of Bayonetta.

I hated that boss but I love the essence of what they are saying

I once asked Kamiya if he could top
riding a motorcycle into space and punching God into the sun
and he said "Piece of cake." I expect great things.

I think I remember them saying they want the whole game to feel like you were fighting the final boss of Bayonetta.

I hated that boss but I love the essence of what they are saying

Yeah, that's what they said.

Basically, they aren't mailing it in with these two games.

Not that I thought they would as they have pride and egos but they seem to be in direct competition with themselves because no one does action games quite the same way.

I'm not surprised that The Wonderful 101 is an instant classic but I was taken aback by how much content is in it.

Yeah, that's what they said.

Basically, they aren't mailing it in with these two games.

Not that I thought they would as they have pride and egos but they seem to be in direct competition with themselves because no one does action games quite the same way.

I'm not surprised that The Wonderful 101 is an instant classic but I was taken aback by how much content is in it.

I hope we can expect a similar amount of content for Bayo 2. Or at least as long as Bayo was. After playing TW101, and hearing that the two teams would try 1up each other on crazy action sequences, and watching that amazing demo again, Bayo 2 is easily my most anticipated Wii U game of 2014.

JoeFenix

I hope we can expect a similar amount of content for Bayo 2. Or at least as long as Bayo was. After playing TW101, and hearing that the two teams would try 1up each other on crazy action sequences, and watching that amazing demo again, Bayo 2 is easily my most anticipated Wii U game of 2014.

Bayonetta 2 looked insanely good at E3, I just hope the game is LOADED like W101.

That's a Kamiya thing though, hopefully Hashimoto has the same mindset with regards to jam packing the game full of extras and content. I want costumes, lost chapters 2, weapons, characters, art gallery, jukebox,model viewer. I want ALL of it!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The Bayo 2 Demo is probably the prologue. Kinda like the 101 demo was at game shows.

all I have to say is THANK GOD for unlimited continues. I'm playing on normal and this is the most difficult game I've played in years

Yeah I'm watching my brother play and he's getting frustrated even with on the spot revive.

I can't imagine how many people would be unable to complete this game if it was any other way. lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like the final boss fights in The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, and Revengeance. But I can see how one might be favourable depending on what you want from a final boss fight.

Revengeance has the most pure challenge. I found the final boss fights in both Bayo and TW101 to be nowhere near as challenging as some other fights in the game. For example, I beat TW101's without dying on normal on my first try. I got steamrolled by Bayos at the time, but I put that down to a lack of skill, because on my latest replay (finished a couple of days ago) I beat it without dying. Revengeance, on the other hand, was a pure one-on-one fucking nightmare battle. In a good way. A really tough and rewarding climax to the game that is built entirely around mastering the mechanics. So if final challenge is what you want, Rising wins.

TW101 has scale down. The entire boss fight sequence is, for the lack of a better and less abused word, epic. It nails the idea of fighting something very big and very important across multiple tiers of battle design. The fight itself has the best concept of a journey, and thus is super rewarding when you finally finish it.

Bayo's has neither of these things. It doesn't quite get the concept of scale and scope down, not like some of the other boss fights in the game, nor is it punishingly difficult. But the scenario is all kinds of crazy cool and totally insane for the game it was, it's nice to look at, the fight itself works well, and it has one of the best fight themes in the game. And it ends all kinds of awesome.

Just beat the game.

I've never smoked a day in my life, but after all that I needed a cig like you wouldn't believe.

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow Fire!

I must make this into a license plate.

chronosic

How badly does using items affect your score? I've yet to use an item yet. Does using an item preclude you from getting perfect platinum?

TDLink

How badly does using items affect your score? I've yet to use an item yet. Does using an item preclude you from getting perfect platinum?

Only offensive weapons (except Justice Missiles) hurt your score. It will tell you if the item hurts your score. Using cakes and soups won't hurt your score. Though if you are healing that must mean you already took damage...which does hurt your score.

Penguin

Just beat the game.

I've never smoked a day in my life, but after all that I needed a cig like you wouldn't believe.

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow Fire!

I must make this into a license plate.

So
He does say Final Twice!

Just finished the game myself.

That was like the best episode of Power Rangers ever!

I was just sad we didn't get a group unite morph at the end!

I just can't seem to get to grip with the games internal logic. Nothing feels intuitive. Everything just feels arbitrary and set up for trial and error. If the game is somehow communicating it's intentions I'm probanly just too stupid to grasp it.

Shit tries to squash you: Unite Guts
Laser beams shooting at you: Unite Sword
Flames: Unite Hand
Assistant Robot giving you a non-specific sign: Just hold the right stick forward

For starters...
+ Most enemies have some type of armor that matches the weapon that will counter it perfectly.

Example 1:
when you first encounter Wonder Pink, you are taught that Whip is best to use against anything with spikes.

The Epilogue's Kakoo Regah on Hard is exactly what I expected >_> GODDAMN.
I know, right?

They're all group unite morphs. :p

Guess he means something like a combined morph out of all previous morphs. Mighty Morphin' Wonderful 101.

Regarding action games: I think platinum is the last one left doing them in the way they are. Team Ninja dropped the ball with NG3 and every sigma entry. Capcom tried to appeal to the mainstream as well and it still bombed. There is no one left.

Konami and Mecurysteam? Sry but they don't have either the experience nor the talent, imo.

Neff

Nintendo and Platinum are the only devs working in videogames now who I have complete, unwavering faith in to deliver solid products. They keep the ethos of fun, accessible, unpretentious, classic gaming alive where others sell out. Them working together is, well, wonderful, and I hope they do a lot more of it.

It's sad though that so many once sure fire developers and publishers are struggling, scrambling to appease demographics who clearly don't want them, or have just given up entirely.

Fandangox

Also I unlocked one of the secret characters
Wonder Scarf (Alice McGregor) She has an Ice Whip.

According to the secrets tab I am pretty close to unlocking a few of the characters, with some missing only a bottlecap.

I want to unlock
Wonder Red (Emeritus) but I don't know how to get the explorers bottlecap and that secret bottlecap it is asking for.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
^^ since you have only one spoilerwithin your spoilertag you need to end your tag with the singular [/spoiler] ;p

Thanks for the vid marc

*Bomb + Morph Line*

mindblown.gif

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I want to unlock
Wonder Red (Emeritus) but I don't know how to get the explorers bottlecap and that secret bottlecap it is asking for.
Regarding the first bottlecap you're talking about :
The explorer group that triggered it for me was on the very start of the A stage, climb the wall on the left of the waterfall, there's a group up there. Hope that's the one you're missing.

Fandangox

Regarding the first bottlecap you're talking about :
The explorer group that triggered it for me was on the very start of the A stage, climb the wall on the left of the waterfall, there's a group up there. Hope that's the one you're missing.

Thanks I will try out tomorrow.

Do you have to get all the explorers on a single try? or as long as you rescued a specific group in a previous play through of that mission it counts?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Thanks I will try out tomorrow.

Do you have to get all the explorers on a single try? or as long as you rescued a specific group in a previous play through of that mission it counts?
No you just have to recruit them all across different playthrough, like I said I got it when I recruited the group I talked about in my previous post which is at the very start of the chapter's first level.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Playeressence review: 9.8/10
http://fb.me/11TJg8Sgx
Now I’m not going to go over everything The Wonderful 101 offers because I want you guys to experience it yourself. But I will say you are in for a crazy ride when you play the Wonderful 101, with gameplay twists and turn that’s fantastically paced and varied. There are also a number of references to oldschool Nintendo games that you’re going to love. Trust me, The Wonderful 101 has innovations in the gameplay that you have never done before. The voice acting and charm is undeniable. This is Hideki Kamiya most content heavy title to date. Platinum Games knows action, and they have done a brilliant job. Be Wonderful, go buy The Wonderful 101!

D-e-f-

Banned
So I got the game today taking advantage of that Target promo. Is there any way I can play this exclusively on the Wii Pro controller? I'm asking because I got stuck at that warehouse in the first operation where you have to turn the knobs to get the right code. I couldn't figure out how to change views and ended up having to turn on the gamepad

Minus button.

Also: there is a digital manual for EVERY Wii U and 3DS game. Press home. Read manual if confused about controls.

Exile20

OH MY GOD!?!?!?!

I had the demo but the full game is balls to the wall amazing.

So awesome. Everyone this generation should play this game.

It is so over the top. DAMN.....So fun.

I ordered the guide for this last night. I'm only on Operation 004 right now and I'll complete the game before looking at the guide. I am hoping it will help me find all the hidden stuff and give some good strategies for medals (I suck) on subsequent playthroughs.

daakusedo

zlCfzRIl1dE-X7JnVr

Tears, joy and understanding...

Now I wonder even more why I didn't get it two times in a row on 4-A hard when I hadn't even retried the kakhoo, maybe it's a glitch...
I guess I'm in for a third try...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What guide are you guys talking about anyway? Is it good?

Busaiku

What's the best way to take out those tank things?
I usually just mash X and try to circle it until it gets stunned, but when there are multiple enemies on screen, it's not nearly as effective.

Timeaisis

What's the best way to take out those tank things?
I usually just mash X and try to circle it until it gets stunned, but when there are multiple enemies on screen, it's not nearly as effective.

Unite Guts when it fires a cannonball at you. It'll reflect off and hit it. It took me like 3 operations to figure this out.

I wonder what's up with those, are they a play on japanese names/words or something?

I think so, like Chi-Q being Japanese for Earth. They're never very memorable tho. I immediately know Grace and Glory, Ardors, Beloved, etc from Bayo; I don't know what the fuck the turtles or the scorpions are called here

The names are in essence "one letter off" style.

For example Immorta is off of "imouta" which means
younger sister
and the Geath Wahksay is off of "death" obviously and "wakusei", Japanese for
planet / star

If my Japanese was better the names would make more sense. I have no idea what "Kahkoo-regah" is supposed to be and at this point I'm just gonna call them Kaka Ragu®.

Top Bottom