• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

patchday

I love the work Kamiya does. Would get this game if I had a Wii U. A little tempting to buy a Wii U nowadays... Need to find a vid of how this game plays. Still have no idea how it works.

Great OT btw

Squishy3

I like them more than the Jeanne fights personally because they're not as simple as trip kick ftw.

but I guess the reason they're not as popular as other rival fights is that they aren't as immediately empowering as others. First time people play Vorkken he's probably pretty confusing. but to me that's what makes the encounters more interesting. Jeanne you can blow away mashing your first time and never have to learn anything
I think I remember losing to Jeanne the first time I really fought her, I don't remember ever losing to Vorkken. Basically: dodge everything that isn't fist or hammer. Ez fight.

So just confirm for me guys.... You can't use wiimotes for multiplayer.... Only gamepad and pro controllers? So they expect me to buy 3 pro controllers for 5 player multiplayer since its local only?
You can use Classic Controller Pros too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think I remember losing to Jeanne the first time I really fought her, I don't remember ever losing to Vorkken. Basically: dodge everything that isn't fist or hammer. Ez fight.

I've never lost to either one lol.

I think I platinum'd the Vorkken stage boss the first time i played it. It was the only one I was able to do so my first run.

I still can't believe Vorkken's them isn't on YouTube yet

can this game really be that unpopular

don't answer that

Platinum's typical audience still don't have Wii-U's I bet

I'm just waiting on the wondermart theme getting a good rip so I can make it my text ringtone

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wii-u white pro controllers are on clearance or something at best buy. Betweein 23 - 35 dollars

I got one today for this game and Bayo 2 in the future. JoeFenix is right the sticks do have a bit more resistance. Feels better to play on than the pad.

Platinum's typical audience still don't have Wii-U's I bet

Man, they better get with the program real quick then

image.php

D-e-f-

Banned
So just confirm for me guys.... You can't use wiimotes for multiplayer.... Only gamepad and pro controllers? So they expect me to buy 3 pro controllers for 5 player multiplayer since its local only?

You need two sticks. Wiimotes don't have anything you could draw with. All Wii U compatible controllers with two sticks will do.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
They just waiting on the Queen's return is all.

Who can resist that?

Technically I don't even have one yet. I'm just playing on my brother's

but I'm buying my own shit for Bayo. Don't want to have to fight for time.

Also people gain levels like crazy on bosses. Just pick a good one you can mash out a unite morph you typically don't use much against and watch like four or 5 dudes rank up.

You need two sticks. Wiimotes don't have anything you could draw with. All Wii U compatible controllers with two sticks will do.

Not the Classic Controller(non pro)

You also need two shoulder buttons on each side for the game to work.

popyea

Not the Classic Controller(non pro)

You also need two shoulder buttons on each side for the game to work.

The non-pro CC is still compatible. ZL and ZR are there, just in slightly weird positions (on the inside between the L and R triggers).

Edit: yeah, what Roto said.

Squishy3

Wii-u white pro controllers are on clearance or something at best buy. Betweein 23 - 35 dollars

I got one today for this game and Bayo 2 in the future. JoeFenix is right the sticks do have a bit more resistance. Feels better to play on than the pad.
I don't like that the face buttons are just a little bit further to the left. It makes it feel awkward, I hit empty air a lot, so I wish the A button was pretty much right below the right stick (or at least a little bit closer) like they are on the gamepad. The A button isn't directly below the right stick on it, but it's a LOT closer than on the pro controller. It's something I could get used to, but I just decided to use the gamepad only.

Regiruler

Alright, decided to take another run through - I take it back, although
I think Chewgi's move is a bit of a PITA to use properly IMO.

Side note - hit R trigger while the W101 members are talking and you get a transparent mask - pretty cool.

To spoilered: it was an incredibly ingenious idea though so I can forgive if there are some slight faults in it's implementation.
I wish you got a point bonus for it though, like guts.

hatchx

Banned
I've found the bombs a little tricky to draw. I just unlocked em'. I find you almost have to draw 2/3rds of a circle then make the wick extra long.

Anyone have any advice on this one?

Hypron

I've found the bombs a little tricky to draw. I just unlocked em'. I find you almost have to draw 2/3rds of a circle then make the wick extra long.

The easiest I find is to just draw a full circle, pause shortly and then add a little tail, like that: O_

It works pretty much every time.

Roto13

I draw a circle and then draw a line straight out from it. Like the input for Unite Hand with a tail.

JoeFenix

Has anyone managed to get the cutscene skip described in the PG blog post to work? It's supposed to be ZL and + at the same time but I can't get that to work, I've tried different combinations but nothing happens.

So this game has frozen on me three separate times. Just this game, everything else has ran perfectly.

I haven't seen anyone report the same issue, so is this a disc issue I might be experiencing or what?

Formless

I'm up to 006 and I haven't gotten any freezing.

This game is so good. It did help that I watched some of Saur's videos before but pretty much the only times I've been frustrated with it are some of the Gamepad sequences and puzzles.

popyea

Has anyone managed to get the cutscene skip described in the PG blog post to work? It's supposed to be ZL and + at the same time but I can't get that to work, I've tried different combinations but nothing happens.

Yeah, wtf is it? I tried every possible combination of buttons with + or - for a couple of minutes before giving up.

I did have some sound skipping issues while running off of the external HDD. Moved it to system memory and haven't had the issue again. This happened for me in zelda as well though, so I guess it's an over arching problem and not game specific.

Busaiku

I've had some weird stuff happen.
My characters got stuck in the air for several seconds as it was approaching a cutscene or something, and when I got Wonder Yellow, there was some red guy that was just running in the corner the entire time.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
1 glitch I encountered was in I believe 3A.
I was taking my time with the turtles at the end and decided to throw one. Something happened and it floated a little above ground, me being unable to hit it for some reason although its attacks could still hit me.

Unfortunately I had to restart from the last save point.

There was some weird stuff where a few wonder were in their underwear, but with masks during a dialogue part with the final boss. Sadly Pink wasn't amongst them.

Guy, what's your favorite dialogue exchange or one liner in the game???

I always lose it when Vorkken first
brings up "Dearth" and then how Red asks Blue if that's its official name and then Vorkken reads it from that funny book and Red demands him to give him book kind of randomly

Green probably has the best lines consistently though.

popyea

Guy, what's your favorite dialogue exchange or one liner in the game???

I always lose it when Vorkken first
brings up "Dearth" and then how Red asks Blue if that's its official name and then Vorkken reads it from that funny book and Red demands him to give him book kind of randomly

Green probably has the best lines consistently though.

Yeah, I love that one. My other favourite is
"Hey, what are you? P-Star's Dad?" and seeing a giant P-Star. The whole sequence is funny and cute and is perfectly finished off with "Wonderful Ones.. and Chewgi and company... Oh, and P-Star!"

Neff

I've also begun to realize how, like, powerful Unite Hand is. I wasn't really using it much and fights were taking a long time, now I'm using it way more and realize how strong it is. I guess all the other Unite Powers are meant to be used alongside it and to defeat specific foes while Unite Hand is your main power. Do other people do it this way?

It's a beautifully balanced main weapon in that it has its strengths and weaknesses, but you can use it for almost any combat situation if you want, although selecting the right tools for the right situation will yield better results. It doesn't combo particularly fast and the range is shit, but for what you get, it's really powerful. It's a superb quick and dirty damage dealer, all the time. Love it.

Busaiku

Does Wonderful Dummy actually reduce your ranking?
Didn't say so, so that's why I bought some.

But then I finished 004-A, where it was used, and despite most of my in-stage medals being Platinum/Pure Platinum or Gold and 1 Bronze, I still ended up with Silver for the overall Operation.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Does Wonderful Dummy actually reduce your ranking?
Didn't say so, so that's why I bought some.

But then I finished 004-A, where it was used, and despite most of my in-stage medals being Platinum/Pure Platinum or Gold and 1 Bronze, I still ended up with Silver for the overall Operation.
It doesn't on its own. But if you end up activating it, that means you lost all of your life so your ranking will take it a hit regardless. Always better than using a continue though.

Busaiku

I usually lose a ton of life on my own anyways and end up with better rankings.
So if you lose all your life at once, that' automatically lowers it?

Mistouze

I usually lose a ton of life on my own anyways and end up with better rankings.
So if you lose all your life at once, that' automatically lowers it?
If you lose any amount of life during a mission, it'll show up on your Damage rating for this mission hence lowering your rating.

Only way around it is the Ukemi module.

Fandangox

I PP 007.

Was my first attempt at getting a PP, I figured 007A would be among the easiest.

Edit: Better not hotlink the result screen cause it might be a slight spoiler.

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRIr-ckYePRNYa

Only had to retry once, plus replay the Kahkooh-Regah since I got normal Platinum the first time through.

Also I unlocked
Wonder Red (Emeritus) and I only need to find the remaining heart pieces to unlock Chewi.

popyea

I need help with something. How do you "select" secret characters to appear in your party? I unlocked
Wonder-Scarf, but don't even know how to play as her.
I've checked the tab that lets you switch your leader, but they're not there as far as I can see.

Roto13

I need help with something. How do you "select" secret characters to appear in your party? I unlocked
Wonder-Scarf, but don't even know how to play as her.
I've checked the tab that lets you switch your leader, but they're not there as far as I can see.

She's there. You can set her like any other character. Arrange them by weapon type and she should be at the end of the row of whip users.

I think you can also bring that one out at any time regardless of leader if you draw a big enough whip.

Vyse24

As far as glitches go, the only thing that happened to me was in 001-A with the mission to save the people from the fire. I must've done something with the wonder liner that I shouldn't have, because I somehow cleared the mission in only 1 second. After that, the game wouldn't let me move on and I had to exit the operation.

Roto13

It's really bugging me that I can't find a decent guide to collectibles and secret missions online. This game must really be a sales failure. The IGN guide is missing a lot of things. There's a checklist on the Prima website but it doesn't give details for a lot of things and it doesn't mention the non-Kahkoo-regah secret missions.

Mistouze

It's really bugging me that I can't find a decent guide to collectibles and secret missions online. This game must really be a sales failure. The IGN guide is missing a lot of things. There's a checklist on the Prima website but it doesn't give details for a lot of things and it doesn't mention the non-Kahkoo-regah secret missions.
For those I used NinjaSyao vids on youtube, he has vids for secret missions (KR and others) + heart fragments. You don't have to actually watch the video, he explains how to find stuff in the videos descriptions.

For the rest... I'm getting the Prima guide for the maps. On my save the levels are littered with little W icons but I'm still missing some stuff and my sure I'm missing 2 or less Wonder Toilets. Too much stuff to find in this damn game!

Top Bottom