• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
UJlGC65.jpeg

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Found an interesting glitch.

Using Drill Spring into civilians sort of freezes you in place and turns you into an invincible hit box.

Obviously situational and I haven't tried it in any other act besides a mission on 3-A,(before the pad gas chamber thing) but I was able to reproduce it consistently within that encounter. Kinda funny.

Operation 004-C

Didn't realize you could use the Wonder-liner to repair Virgin Victory until I looked it up online, would of made this fight way less frustrating and way cooler. I was thinking you could block all the attacks on the ship, and maybe you can, but I couldn't figure it out for the mace or gatling gun. Now I feel dumb, cuz I lost the ship twice.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So... just beat the game last night...
HOLY SHIT AT THAT ENDING. From Platinum Robo onward, I had the biggest grin on my face...

This is one of the best games I've ever played. GOTY contender, EASILY. A shame the gaming media is so dismissive of it due to not understanding it. It's fucking brilliantly put together.

Also, reading through some of the character backgrounds, Wonder-Makeup is suggested to be transgendered apparently. That's pretty neat.

Proven

Operation 004-C

Didn't realize you could use the Wonder-liner to repair Virgin Victory until I looked it up online, would of made this fight way less frustrating and way cooler. I was thinking you could block all the attacks on the ship, and maybe you can, but I couldn't figure it out for the mace or gatling gun. Now I feel dumb, cuz I lost the ship twice.

The gatling gun can have it's bullets blocked by hammer, but I don't think you can block the mace. You just need to make sure you get whips in on the mace to to get rid of it quickly, while prioritizing all reflected attacks and thrown rocks at the gatling gun.

Exile20

I just beat the reptile dude on the baseball field. Loving the game so far. I feel so good playing TW101. I can't wait to get home to continue.

Seems like it is game of the year. People should really buy a Wii U for this game. It is really that good.

Neff

I just beat the reptile dude on the baseball field. Loving the game so far. I feel so good playing TW101. I can't wait to get home to continue.

Dude... you have seen nothing. You have done nothing. Your game is about to EXPLODE.

Oh, to be on that diamond again, knowing so little...

NeoRausch

It's really bugging me that I can't find a decent guide to collectibles and secret missions online. This game must really be a sales failure. The IGN guide is missing a lot of things. There's a checklist on the Prima website but it doesn't give details for a lot of things and it doesn't mention the non-Kahkoo-regah secret missions.

if you need something specific I can help you out. just pm me.
if it's above the place for secrets (300 secrets you need)..... don't pm me! ;)

Roto13

I totally missed this reference.

zlCfzRIs_bwMJOP8kd
if you need something specific I can help you out. just pm me.
if it's above the place for secrets (300 secrets you need)..... don't pm me! ;)

Unless you want to list all the heart pieces, maybe let's not bother. :p

Up until Vijounne, I was wondering how this game couldn't get by with an E10+.

Hm, playing through this with my eight year old and we haven't hit this section yet... Is there any way you could let me know what you mean by this without spoiling too much?

Edit: Never mind, found a synopsis earlier in the thread. Doesn't sound too worrisome if it's just slightly racy innuendo.

georly

I really want to get this game, but it came out at a bad time with a lot of bills and debt, so I wont be able to get it any time soon, so I feel guilty that i'm part of the problem :(

Here's to hoping it is a gold box deal around christmas :/

NeoRausch

I really want to get this game, but it came out at a bad time with a lot of bills and debt, so I wont be able to get it any time soon, so I feel guilty that i'm part of the problem :(

Here's to hoping it is a gold box deal around christmas :/

pfffttt... buy it later then! no need to hurt.

JoeFenix

Finally managed to Pure Platinum 5-C, I have it down now but this one was the trickiest for me.
He's so fast and you don't have time to mess around, I ended up doing 3 counter punches and using a breakthrough punch. When he got up I dodged his strikes and used the laser on him. Lights out in 8:20, I was so nervous in the lava escape section even if I never get hit there!

This game has so many levels that they couldn't even make them all fit in the final results screen, it has to be split across 2 screens. Not sure I like it but whatever!

zlCfzRItldoqbzArEt

Getting there!

I'm really itching to get this game...

Is now a good time to get the wiiU? I'm thinking the zelda bundle plus the Target buy 1 get 1 free is making it real hard for me to say no.

I mean I eventually HAVE to get a wiiU for bayonetta and smash, but by the time they come out there may be a new version of the system or a greater price drop...

Proven

Is now a good time to get the wiiU? I'm thinking the zelda bundle plus the Target buy 1 get 1 free is making it real hard for me to say no.

I mean I eventually HAVE to get a wiiU for bayonetta and smash, but by the time they come out there may be a new version of the system or a greater price drop...
Unless you're planning on trying to get everything used, now would be a decent time. We shouldn't see another price drop for a decent while now, and Target is selling every WiiU game worth getting in their B2G1 free sale.

I'd say there's around 7 decent to awesome games on the console right now. If you can't find at least 3 you like (I'll even include Nintendoland in this) then stay away.

Busaiku

It's a great time.
You can get a Wii U and 4 games (including the bundled) for $420.

The game selection is decent right now too.

Shaanyboi

Banned

It's a pretty great time. Target's B2G1 deal is great, and I wouldn't expect another pricedrop too soon.

Varjet

I actually kind of despise that theme. Every time I hear it I get ready to get intrigued yet pissed off by a space elf, and then get into a fight.

I like it, it has that aristocratic flavor, fitting for a prince. Wouldn't you agree, KnaveSmith?

Best track is Intertwined, though. Maybe.

Rehynn

I just can't seem to get Pure Platinum on 001-A.... The game saves right at the end of the first Secret Mission, so if you don't PP it in one try, you have to restart the WHOLE LEVEL. Fuuuuuuck. Whyyyyyy.

Also, why won't Wonderful Rising with the gun target the juggled enemy? Even when I'm locked onto it it just shoots off to the side....

JoeFenix

I just can't seem to get Pure Platinum on 001-A.... The game saves right at the end of the first Secret Mission, so if you don't PP it in one try, you have to restart the WHOLE LEVEL. Fuuuuuuck. Whyyyyyy.

Also, why won't Wonderful Rising with the gun target the juggled enemy? Even when I'm locked onto it it just shoots off to the side....

Yeah you have to learn which missions save right after the result screen and when to hit retry if you aren't sure you'll nail the requirements. It's always been a strange design choice if you ask me, it's really inconsistent as far as saving goes. Feels completely random and it was exactly the same thing in Bayonetta.

You develop tactics that allow you to repeatedly get those PP medals though so it's not as crazy as it looks initially.

Wonderful Rising's hitbox is quite small and in front of the gun. The twirling animation needs to connect with the enemy to actually launch him and to get the follow up shots to connect. Try doing sword stinger canceled into gun canceled into wonder rising. That's a good way to connect with it, otherwise just make sure you're really close to the enemy, obviously it's easier with bigger targets.

Does anyone have tips to raise combo?
That seems to be my main issue on scoring.

The gun is extremely good at raising the combo multiplier and at keeping combos active. Multi morphs barely give any actual points but they are also good at raising the multiplier.

You want to make sure you strike a good balance between dealing damage yourself to up the base score and using low damage ways of increasing the multiplier. Claws are definitely good at raising your base score fast and don't do too much damage, you can also get alot of points when enemies are stunned or juggled. Actions like doing a perfectly timed dodge or doing a pudding counter give you an extra 200 base points so keep that in mind.

I don't know all the inner workings yet so I'm still learning and experimenting, there might be some nuances to it that I haven't discovered yet.

Rehynn

Wonderful Rising's hitbox is quite small and in front of the gun. The twirling animation needs to connect with the enemy to actually launch him and to get the follow up shots to connect. Try doing sword stinger canceled into gun canceled into wonder rising. That's a good way to connect with it, otherwise just make sure you're really close to the enemy, obviously it's easier with bigger targets.

Sorry, I meant Stinger, not Rising. But good to know nonetheless, thanks.

daakusedo

I was playing with a chronometer website for the bridge mission near the end lol
This one hurt a lot when you discover it save after it.
But the one you talk about is just about being sure having enough combo, the time shouldn't be a problem, so no dodge mine to start the fight.
Also if your gun talk is during being in the air, I draw the gun in the direction of the enemy, so if I'm attacking from bottom left and enemy is top right, I draw first the horizontal line then the vertical line in the top right direction.

JoeFenix

Sorry, I meant Stinger, not Rising. But good to know nonetheless, thanks.

I find that stinger doesn't always hit if I'm too close to the enemy, maybe try to position yourself differently. You can also hold the stick in the direction you want to aim while firing.

Frodo

A few friends came to my place this evening to play video games and I showed them TW101, and they asked me to see the final battle (since I guess no one is interested in buying a Wii U to see it), so I played through it again and they almost died laughing at the part where
you press A to save the Earth and the game shows Wonder-Red and the other team members mashing the button together.

This game is definitely my GOTY so far. Sorry, Pikmin 3, you are great, but this game, man... This game... <3

Busaiku

Oh yeah, got a crash at 005-A during the lava dash part (when everything's falling apart), so you guys might want to watch out.

fred

Now is a great time to buy a Wii U. Plenty of must-own games already - ZombiU, Batman Arkham City, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 and an absolute shitload coming next year - Yarn Yoshi, SMT x Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8 and SSBU.

And then before the end of the year you've got CoD Ghosts, Batman Arkham Origins, Assassin's Creed IV, Scribblenauts Unlimited/Marvel, Watch Dogs, Deus Ex, Sonic Lost World, Super Mario 3D World and Wii Fit.

A very good selection of games for my money, it always pays to get a console after it's been out for a while.

Fandangox

I got an hilarious glitch while replaying the final boss battle.

I was at the part where he puts on the wonder mask and attacks you with Morphs, about halfway I hit him with Gun and he just stars floating all the way up and the camera tries to follow him leave me behind, it eventually cannot catch up to him and the camera stays in between not focusing on anything. I had to exit it.

Proven

Does anyone have tips to raise combo?
That seems to be my main issue on scoring.

If you're able to keep a combo long enough to get x2 or x3 multiplier, then you just need to use Unite Claw more.

If you can't keep a multiplier because they're dying too fast, focus on using Sword and Gun more (lower damage) while using Climb Attacks in order to disable and juggle them with Sword.

Busaiku

Holy crap, the 005 boss was incredible.
After some relatively lackluster bosses, or just straight up aggravating one (Gah Goojin), this was just so great.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I finished it.

I cannot possibly describe into words how incredible the last 2 hours of the game is. The humongous scale of it puts most other games to shame. Nothing comes close it it.

NOTHING.

Maybe except other Platinum Games (I love you, Revengeance.)

Top Bottom