• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

JoeFenix

006-B
As much as I enjoy shmups, that was a pain. Plus I hate those friggin dragons so damn much.

I'm working on getting Pure Platinum on that, got really really close twice but got hit somehow on the boss.

I will say that using the hammer there makes it so much easier in general, you can destroy the bigger enemies and all the pillars really quickly.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Damn, ran into another glitch where a crab turned permanently red and did not take any more damage; my combo went insanely high though.

Fandangox

Damn, ran into another glitch where a crab turned permanently red and did not take any more damage; my combo went insanely high though.

I got another glitch. Operation 006 A I go back to do a secret mission, but the enemies won't spawn.

It seems no matter what I do they simply won't spawn.

JoeFenix

I got another glitch. Operation 006 A I go back to do a secret mission, but the enemies won't spawn.

It seems no matter what I do they simply won't spawn.

Kamiya said that he would personally like to patch the game on twitter but I don't know if it's happening or not. It sounds like they would need the greenlight from Nintendo and considering the game isn't lighting the world on fire in terms of sales I don't know if it's going to happen.

I really hope so, the game is absolutely amazing and it deserves that final layer of polish. None of the bugs have been a huge deal to me but it's uncharacteristic of P* and especially Nintendo to have such a glitchy game.

Darryl

Banned
This game has taken too long to get here. Hopefully it should arrive in the mail tomorrow. Never preordering from Amazon again without that day 1.

Jamix012

Question: For multiplayer can the second person use a Wii Mote/Nunchuck or Wii Classic Controller or does it have to be the U pro controller? Thanks.

Jamix012

Classic Controller works fine.

Thank you! I'm psyched to get this game. I sent my Wii U in for repair and they wiped all the save data (probably 1000s of hours because all the Wii data was on there too) so I convinced them to send me a copy of Wonderful 101 for free!

Fandangox

Kamiya said that he would personally like to patch the game on twitter but I don't know if it's happening or not. It sounds like they would need the greenlight from Nintendo and considering the game isn't lighting the world on fire in terms of sales I don't know if it's going to happen.

I really hope so, the game is absolutely amazing and it deserves that final layer of polish. None of the bugs have been a huge deal to me but it's uncharacteristic of P* and especially Nintendo to have such a glitchy game.

Its specially frustrating that its glitching on that secret mission cause that's where I need to get my last Wonderful one.

Fandangox

Ugh I have tried everything. Starting the mission all over again, completing another mission, going back to that one. trying it in a different difficulty. The enemies just won't spawn.

What a killjoy.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
i cant go anywhere im stuck at a point i have to use her whip to get over a clearence but i dont have her.
Wonder Liner up the building.

In other news, I think I'd have to admit that this is one of my most favorite games ever. I'm already done with Chapter 4 in my third play-through and I'm still having an immense amount of fun.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Wonder Liner up the building.

In other news, I think I'd have to admit that this is one of my most favorite games ever. I'm already done with Chapter 4 in my third play-through and I'm still having an immense amount of fun.
You just don't know yet, come back to share dem feels when you're done. Wish I could forget the game and play it again.

The gatling gun can have it's bullets blocked by hammer, but I don't think you can block the mace. You just need to make sure you get whips in on the mace to to get rid of it quickly, while prioritizing all reflected attacks and thrown rocks at the gatling gun.

Okay, I didn't think the bullets would be considered big enough to block, makes sense with how slow that gatling gun moves around.

Oh yeah, got a crash at 005-A during the lava dash part (when everything's falling apart), so you guys might want to watch out.

I got a hard lock(with a buzzing sound out of my speakers) on the boss fight right after, got it down to the second to last health bar. Had to do the whole boss fight as well as the lava obstacle course over again. After the frustration from of that and still kind of annoyed about my own incompetence with the boss from 004-C, soured me on the game for a few hours.

But I can't stay mad at this game for long, it hasn't even been a day and I'm already jonesing to get back. I can't recall a recent game that like ten hours in, I'm still really excited to see what pops off next.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Tech-gaming review: 8,4/10
http://www.tech-gaming.com/the-wonderful-101/
Full disclosure: I’m an unapologetic fan of Hideki Kamiya. Not only is the director responsible for seminal action titles such as Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, and Devil May Cry, but Kamiya-san is also uncharacteristically outspoken, sporadically taking well-deserved digs at the gaming tabloids. Naturally, these taunts would lack piquancy if his output was middling. Yet, the designer has consistently created some of the industry’s most engaging gameplay elements- from Viewtiful Joe’s time manipulating system to Ōkami’s distinctive brush stroke mechanic. In many ways, the recent release of Platinum Games’ The Wonderful 101 feels like an amalgam of Kamiya’s oeuvre. Blending the hyperkinetic combat of Bayonetta, the simulated brush strokes of Ōkami, and even the occasional puzzle-solving of Resident Evil, the designer’s fingerprints are all over every sinuous frame of this Wii U exclusive title.
Like most of Platinum Games’ output, The Wonderful 101 excels by constructing gameplay that’s persistently on the precipice of pandemonium. However, unlike titles like Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, 101’s input method isn’t always intuitive, which can cause a bit of frustration once the on-screen mayhem escalates. In the end, this issue shouldn’t prohibit a purchase of the game, since there are about a hundred or so other reasons why this title is truly wonderful.

PKrockin

My gosh. I just played the first part of the game up until the first boss fight. That could have been a final boss in other games. This game is even more nuts than I thought. I'm digging the music, too.

Regiruler

006-B
As much as I enjoy shmups, that was a pain. Plus I hate those friggin dragons so damn much.

Unite guts seems to reflect a bit more than it usually does during that section (
such as bullets
), try that.
Holy crap, the 005 boss was incredible.
After some relatively lackluster bosses, or just straight up aggravating one (Gah Goojin), this was just so great.
Gah Goojin was great you shut your mouth.

teeny

Finished my first playthrough of this last night. Wow. Honestly, game of the year material for me. The whole thing was just wonderful, from start to finish.

I absolutely loved this design (end game character spoiler) Miiverse Screenshot

popyea

She's there. You can set her like any other character. Arrange them by weapon type and she should be at the end of the row of whip users.

I think you can also bring that one out at any time regardless of leader if you draw a big enough whip.

Well, I think I've encountered a glitch, because she's not there. I've also realised now that she doesn't even appear in the secrets tab with her picture + all the achievements that were required to unlock her. Her whole section has just vanished. This really sucks. Not even sure what advice I can give to help others avoid the same.

Hypron

Today I was looking for some info on the game online (because I couldn't remember some characters' names and I also wanted to see what the secret characters looked like)... And it was hard to find anything. The game really must be a bomba of biblical proportions :(

Today I was looking for some info on the game online (because I couldn't remember some characters' names and I also wanted to see what the secret characters looked like)... And it was hard to find anything. The game really must be a bomba of biblical proportions :(
It's true. The best info is on gamefaqs and those guys mostly get their Infos from a japanese wiki.

Btw space eggplants are totally kid icarus, no?

Vyse24

I know it's frowned upon around here, but since it's the only place I can find sales charts, I should report that a certain site with video game charts is reporting that W101 sold 15,134 units to finish 9th in the US.

I said this very often, but as long as they can pay their bills, get new work and we awesome games I don't care for sales.

Their games are too different for the masses regardless of the platform and that's why I love the games.

teeny

I said this very often, but as long as they can pay their bills, get new work and we awesome games I don't care for sales.

Their games are too different for the masses regardless of the platform and that's why I love the games.

Even so, I do wish that the market had more room for experimental titles of this calibre and budget. I wish that publishers funded more stuff in this vein and that there was more diversity for consumers to choose from but if titles such as this keep bombing, publishers are even less likely to pick them up.

Effect

Likely going to order my copy today now that the price has dropped some on Amazon.

Was there ever a digital foundry article/video on the game?

D-e-f-

Banned
Likely going to order my copy today now that the price has dropped some on Amazon.

Was there ever a digital foundry article/video on the game?

No.

all you'd hear from them would sound something like: "it has dem jaggies, framerate not consistently 60, low polys, some nice textures, a lot going on, would've been better on a beast like ps4"

Even so, I do wish that the market had more room for experimental titles of this calibre and budget. I wish that publishers funded more stuff in this vein and that there was more diversity for consumers to choose from but if titles such as this keep bombing, publishers are even less likely to pick them up.

That's why I think the partnership with Nintendo fits, they're more likely to overlook sales for certain titles as long as they strengthened the image Nintendo is aiming for.

Fandangox

That's why I think the partnership with Nintendo fits, they're more likely to overlook sales for certain titles as long as they strengthened the image Nintendo is aiming for.

I don't know. Their abandoned IPs like F-Zero, Waverace and the fact that Awakening would have been the last Fire Emblem had it not done good has a say about that.

Just like any other company, if they don't see a market for it they will probably drop it.

I do agree however that I think this specific case with Platinum (Bayo2/W101) was for them to strengthen this particular type of image, more of a marketshare thing than sales thing.

Mistouze

Just got the guide, only skimmed through but it seems like good stuff. Need help regarding Capsule 99 :
Kill 50 ennemies during the Dakkar phase, did 5A on Very Easy and killed everything that came my way but didn't get the capsule. Is there any trick I missed?

Salih

Just got the guide, only skimmed through but it seems like good stuff. Need help regarding Capsule 99 :
Kill 50 ennemies during the Dakkar phase, did 5A on Very Easy and killed everything that came my way but didn't get the capsule. Is there any trick I missed?

iirc there are those sandlike enemies going up and down. you need to attack them with the bomb first. Also you can slow down the lava with the bomb.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I do agree however that I think this specific case with Platinum (Bayo2/W101) was for them to strengthen this particular type of image, more of a marketshare thing than sales thing.
Street cred. The Wonderful 101 at least serves this purpose :)

Mistouze

iirc there are those sandlike enemies going up and down. you need to attack them with the bomb first. Also you can slow down the lava with the bomb.
Thanks a lot! And here goes my first secret character!

Also just got the reward for having the 100 heroes leveled up to the max and it is pretty boss ˆ_ˆ

JoeFenix

I'm trying to get PP on 6-B and it's easily been the most annoying thing I've done in the game so far. The later missions have really prominent framerate issues making combat more difficult and they have super strict requirements.

Mission 8 is nonsense, you can't see anything because of the the text and character portraits (I know hold L but the camera zooms in for some reason) and the time requirement there is insane. I have no clue how to go faster, I mean I'm killing everything as soon as it appears but some little shit guys get stuck in a corner and you can't see them. It's just infuriating.

Roto13

Is the continue system as forgiving on the harder difficulties? I'm trying to get all of the Wonderful Ones and hearts before moving on to hard mode.

Varjet

So yeah, on the highest difficulty level the Unite Gauge runs out pretty fast. Seems that even materializing your last drawn Unite Morph costs meter.

Fandangox

I'm trying to get PP on 6-B and it's easily been the most annoying thing I've done in the game so far. The later missions have really prominent framerate issues making combat more difficult and they have super strict requirements.

Mission 8 is nonsense, you can't see anything because of the the text and character portraits (I know hold L but the camera zooms in for some reason) and the time requirement there is insane. I have no clue how to go faster, I mean I'm killing everything as soon as it appears but some little shit guys get stuck in a corner and you can't see them. It's just infuriating.

Yeah I thought that was a weird decision to do.
I love the game but the flying sections annoy me. I would have PP 005C already if wasn't for the last section always getting hit. The flying sections in the last operations aren't very fun for me either.

I do have to admit that I do get frustrated when I'm playing well in the main gameplay and some finicky jump section in a QTE or one of the shmup sections just murders my rank.

I do have to admit that I do get frustrated when I'm playing well in the main gameplay and some finicky jump section in a QTE or one of the shmup sections just murders my rank.

that feel in Bayonetta first time playing where you doing good during the whole mission, fuck up random QTE near the end, insta-death/fail trophy status

Coppanuva

My Wii U Gamepad got stolen yesterday. I was on Op 9. Bought a new one on ebay but it won't get here until Monday most likely. And the game won't let you even play with a CC until you navigate the start menu with the gamepad. This sucks.

Top Bottom