• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

As someone who played the game first and the demo second, I echo that idea that the demo is doing a bad job of enticing players, and probably shouldn't have been released. It's too much, all at once, for players not schooled in action games.

The full game eases you in gradually with a series of tutorials cleverly worked into the story and is a much better way to discover how it all works.

So if you have the means and are willing, I'd just recommend buying the game.

Thanks, that does sound a lot better.

Neiteio

I started last night and played up through Wonder-Pink and the first Prince Vorken fight. Game is SO GOOD.

I feel like a well-oiled machine due to my demo playthroughs. I'm playing on Normal and getting all Golds, Platinums and Pure Platinums, with the occasional Silver here and there. What trips me up are the gimmick sections, or scenarios that seem to go on forever until you realize all of your options. For example, the tramway with the three rails in the second act -- you can stop steering to fight back at the missile-launching pursuers, can't you?

Like Metal Gear Rising, everything your enemies throw at you can be dealt with in some way, which is incredibly empowering. Like when the three-headed hydra tries crushing you with its skull -- steel yourself with Unite Guts, and you'll send the head careening into the other. Or when the dragon is firing lasers at you? Deflect the beam with the sword. Breathing fire? Gather with the hand and lob fireballs at the other head.

What makes the game so addictive, though, is the constant destruction and the intermittent changing of powers. Twirl the stick quickly like a hadoken and switch to the fist to open a crate, then surge down the street, obliterating every tree, fire hydrant and light post to uncover lots of O-Parts and Space Veggies. Then the enemies appear and you slow time to make a massive sword that can knock them all back in one fell swoop... Or maybe one of those big fellas appear, and you uppercut them with the sword, then start cranking out Multi-Unite Attacks -- one fist and gun after another. When done right, seeing the pie chart of their HP drop so quickly is immensely satisfying.

I've acquired Unite Guts, Unite Spring, Unite Ball and the Dodge Mine so far. I'm not sure what my next upgrade should be.

Also, this game is PACKED with secrets. It seems you can turn the Wonder-Liner into a circle in all manner of places and you'll uncover an action figure. Or anytime you see an open pipe or window, send your men in and they'll come out with files, figures, etc. It's insane.

The game world is so well-designed -- a massive play-set of candy-coated colors, dense in detail. Some neat vibes here -- EarthBound, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc. I also love the setting, all gleaming glass, a near-future metropolis with floating holo-billboards but no shortage of verdant greenery and sparkling water. Just a gorgeous city all-around.

So yeah, looking forward to playing more! :)

Not all secret missions are Kahkoo Regahs. Those "normal" secret missions still exist in the earlier difficulties.
Right, that's why I said they have to be done on _every_ difficulty.

Secret Missions are 10 in total.
Kahkoo-Regah are 19 and have to be done on only normal, hard and 101% hard.

Roto13

Know what Kakhoo Regah is stupid? The one in 005-A.

You have to climb to the top of that spinning drill and then somehow boost yourself to the top of the statue there (I used the rocket morph but there's probably some other way up) but if you get off the drill on the far side, the game saves and the next mission starts and you have to restart the whole level to try it again.

Varjet

Know what Kakhoo Regah is stupid? The one in 005-A.

You have to climb to the top of that spinning drill and then somehow boost yourself to the top of the statue there (I used the rocket morph but there's probably some other way up) but if you get off the drill on the far side, the game saves and the next mission starts and you have to restart the whole level to try it again.

edit:
wait, no, I was thinking of something else. You just go through the "pipe" on top and then crawl up to the entrance. I think...

Kazerei

Banned
Just tried the demo for this and it's one of the most user-unfriendly demos I've ever played. No info on what the game actually is or what I'm doing etc. No wonder it isn't selling...

There's a Quick Help section on the GamePad screen. But yeah, IMO the game could actually use a little more hand-holding :lol. In the full game, there's a prologue before the first mission, so that helps.

Watch Saur's system breakdown videos and one of the Pure Platinum demo walkthroughs and try the demo again. Once you figure out what's going on, it's really addictive.

Neiteio

There's a Quick Help section on the GamePad screen. But yeah, IMO the game could actually use a little more hand-holding :lol. In the full game, there's a prologue before the first mission, so that helps.

Watch Saur's system breakdown videos and one of the Pure Platinum demo walkthroughs and try the demo again. Once you figure out what's going on, it's really addictive.
What the game could use is the narrator taking a moment to pause the game and explain basic mechanics as they're introduced, rather than relying on players to notice tiny illustrated explanations in the corner of the HUD in the heat of battle. I think a lot of players, in their rush to defeat enemies, don't always notice the illustrated explanations in the corner. And the narrator already explains lore-related stuff like space particles, etc, so might as well, provided it can be skipped by veterans.

okay so I just bought the wind waker bundle and this game. Found out I'm gonna be at a friends house all night and figured I might as well bring the whole thing over and set it up. Does anyone forsee any issues with setting it up over at someone else's place before bringing it back to mine?

Meaning, do you have to do a lot of internet set up, connecting to their wireless, signing into stuff? Or can I just set it up and start playing W101 and then bring my system home and do all the internet set up and signing into accounts and stuff later?

D-e-f-

Banned
okay so I just bought the wind waker bundle and this game. Found out I'm gonna be at a friends house all night and figured I might as well bring the whole thing over and set it up. Does anyone forsee any issues with setting it up over at someone else's place before bringing it back to mine?

Meaning, do you have to do a lot of internet set up, connecting to their wireless, signing into stuff? Or can I just set it up and start playing W101 and then bring my system home and do all the internet set up and signing into accounts and stuff later?

there's zero internet stuff you need to set up if you don't want to.

you make your user account for the system itself and then you do whatever you want

maeda

Wow, why nobody told me this game is basically Viewtiful Joe in isometric perspective? Due to the fact that money is tight I was able to only test the demo. Damn it's amazing and super accessible! Getting pure platinum in missions is much easier than in Bayo! Plus, one does not have to memorize a billion different combos! It has been decided, the 1st game I buy will be this and not Sonic Lost World!

D-e-f-

Banned
Wow, why nobody told me this game is basically Viewtiful Joe in isometric perspective? Due to the fact that money is tight I was able to only test the demo. Damn it's amazing and super accessible! Getting pure platinum in missions is much easier than in Bayo! Plus, one does not have to memorize a billion different combos! It has been decided, the 1st game I buy will be this and not Sonic Lost World!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyKR-myMjZU

Kamiya told you.

george_us

I had to turn the game off about an hour in from fighting the controls as I was very close to throwing the Game Pad. Can't believe how unintuitive they are coming from the man responsible for Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, etc. It doesn't help that I barely have any clue what's happening on screen.

Llyranor

I had to turn the game off about an hour in from fighting the controls as I was very close to throwing the Game Pad. Can't believe how unintuitive they are coming from the man responsible for Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, etc. It doesn't help that I barely have any clue what's happening on screen.

What are you having diff with control-wise?

Completed up to 002-A so far. The boss of Mission 001, at the part where you have to Unite Build really could have used some sort of indicator of what exactly you're supposed to do;
it won't work unless you have 100 people, but the game doesn't seem to tell you this and gives you no indication of what you're doing wrong when it doesn't work.

Otherwise it's pretty fun, though getting sniped or rammed by something that's off screen is not fun at all.

Regiruler

Completed up to 002-A so far. The boss of Mission 001, at the part where you have to Unite Build really could have used some sort of indicator of what exactly you're supposed to do;
it won't work unless you have 100 people, but the game doesn't seem to tell you this and gives you no indication of what you're doing wrong when it doesn't work.

Otherwise it's pretty fun, though getting sniped or rammed by something that's off screen is not fun at all.

I found that really jarring when I replayed 001-C, since (mild final boss gameplay spoiler)
P-star tells you that you need more people for a bigger unite morph to smash through the energy wall

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I humbly suggest Power charge and Speed Liner, Neiteio.

Glad to see you're having fun! :D

olimpia84

Finished Operation 002 earlier today... man this game is packed to the fullest with awesome and crazy over the top action .

Kazerei

Banned
Just finished the story and I'm exhausted, wow. I was worried it was gonna be short, but it took me 14 hours according to the activity log. And there's still so much left to do. I missed a ton of collectables, I haven't even touched the wonderful missions, and there's some post-game stuff to unlock too.

Neiteio

I'm at 3-B now. I love all the mileage they got out of the
giant robot
across the last several stages.

Also, what's the most efficient way to take down the turtles? I find myself supersizing my hammer and whittling away at their shells until the shell cracks, at which point I mob them with the swarm attack to stun and continue hammering them. I think I tipped one over once by using Unite Guts as it tried to stomp me. I also try using the sword whenever they stretch out their head and expose their necks, although this doesn't seem to deal much damage.

The whole process is reliable, but still takes awhile. What's the best way to take down the turtles?

What's the best way to take down the turtles?

An effective method I found is stay in front of them with the hammer, 9/10 times they'll lift their foot to smack you. Unite Guts that shit, then immediately switch to big fist and start whaling on the underbelly to flip him over on his back. When he's stun like this, he's vulnerable and also dizzy(note the blue stars over his head), so you get +100 with every strike. Unite Hand is impervious to fire, so don't even worry about dodging the fire attacks from the other turtle, just keep ya head on a swivel for that head snap because it's got a huge range and deceptively fast tell. If you don't manage to kill him before he flips back over, you should at least have taken down his first health bar and his red weakspot will still be vulnerable, so you can quickly kill him with a big fist instead of the slow hammer. Rinse and repeat for the other turtle.

I think Retro had another method of Wonder-Parrying everything and Unite Hammer Cyclone spamming/cancelling, and then there's the glorious Unite Bomb + Attack Liner, but you're really early and probably don't even have those moves, so stick with the above strat.

Neiteio

An effective method I found is stay in front of them with the hammer, 9/10 times they'll lift their foot to smack you. Unite Guts that shit, then immediately switch to big fist and start whaling on the underbelly to flip him over on his back. When he's stun like this, he's vulnerable and also dizzy(note the blue stars over his head), so you get +100 with every strike. Unite Hand is impervious to fire, so don't even worry about dodging the fire attacks from the other turtle, just keep ya head on a swivel for that head snap because it's got a huge range and deceptively fast tell. If you don't manage to kill him before he flips back over, you should at least have taken down his first health bar and his red weakspot will still be vulnerable, so you can quickly kill him with a big fist instead of the slow hammer. Rinse and repeat for the other turtle.
Awesome tips! I didn't realize that to flip him, I have to give him that extra "push" when he teeters after I block his stomp with Unite Guts.

Also, are you saying enemies take more damage when "dizzy?" Is dizzy different from stunned?

I think Retro had another method of Wonder-Parrying everything and Unite Hammer Cyclone spamming/cancelling, and then there's the glorious Unite Bomb + Attack Liner, but you're really early and probably don't even have those moves, so stick with the above strat.
Yep, this is my first time through, so I don't have those moves yet. :)

Yeah, there's a yellow stun state and a blue dizzy state. TBH, I actually don't know much of a difference in damage, but many enemies can only be juggled after a stun/dizzy state. Many of the combo points you'll need for the Platinum requirements will come from stunning/dizzying big enemies, and racking up the +100 bonuses for every successful hit, alongside the various multiplier increases the weapons do. They all have their little nuances to learn that you'll figure out as you go along and experiment.

Neiteio

Yeah, there's a yellow stun state and a blue dizzy state. TBH, I actually don't know much of a difference in damage, but many enemies can only be juggled after a stun/dizzy state. Many of the combo points you'll need for the Platinum requirements will come from stunning/dizzying big enemies, and racking up the +100 bonuses for every successful hit, alongside the various multiplier increases the weapons do. They all have their little nuances to learn that you'll figure out as you go along and experiment.
Yeah, I think I've noticed the juggling difference with those large lumbering bad guys (the black ones with Lego skeletons). When I stun them, I usually am able to launch them into the air and let loose with the Multi-Unite Morphs.

Another question: Does Wonder Pink have a Stinger and Rising attack? I love her whip so much!

Tendo

So a week or so ago I asked some advice on whether or not to get this game. I was hesitant after reading reviews but GAF was high on the game so I took a shot.

I think I'm totally done reading professional reviews. They are morons. I feel every hit I take is my fault for not paying attention. This game is AMAZING. So much fun. I love the dialogue and zany set pieces. One of the best games I have played in years. Great stuff again from Platinum!

D-e-f-

Banned
So a week or so ago I asked some advice on whether or not to get this game. I was hesitant after reading reviews but GAF was high on the game so I took a shot.

I think I'm totally done reading professional reviews. They are morons. I feel every hit I take is my fault for not paying attention. This game is AMAZING. So much fun. I love the dialogue and zany set pieces. One of the best games I have played in years. Great stuff again from Platinum!

Welcome to the club! ;)

Fucking right. What's crazy is just... if you love it now, seriously the last few hours just get off the charts and so exciting. The last "handful" of moments in the game combined with the music and gameplay and even, surprisingly, how the story progresses is just monumentally entertaining and rewarding.

Yeah, I think I've noticed the juggling difference with those large lumbering bad guys (the black ones with Lego skeletons). When I stun them, I usually am able to launch them into the air and let loose with the Multi-Unite Morphs.

Another question: Does Wonder Pink have a Stinger and Rising attack? I love her whip so much!

Pretty much everyone except the black guy(smh racism) has a Stringer/Rising/Cyclone variant you can earn through continued usage of that weapon and heroes who comply with that weapon. This levels up quite a bit faster when you use bigger morphs, as you could imagine.

I STILL don't have Wonder Cyclone with gun though...

moolamb

Seriously, this is my GOTY and all I've heard is 'GOTY' from everyone who has played and completed a large part of it. The only negatives seem to come from people who play for 10 minutes and give up.

It's really, really rare that a game (or even cinema) satisfies you from the first hour, and with every successive hour surpasses that. Every time I find myself with free time in front of the Wii U, no matter what mood I'm in, playing this game just makes me happier. I haven't encountered any dull moments because the pacing so far has been incredible - just when you've gotten the hang of one mechanic, it throws you a new one or a new sub-boss, a completely new game.

It's such a great injustice that this game is misunderstood or glazed over, but I do understand it's not for everyone and that is a good thing. I'd hate for this to be dumbed down in any way.

Thank you Platinum and all you fellow 101ers!

Tendo

Fucking right. What's crazy is just... if you love it now, seriously the last few hours just get off the charts and so exciting. The last "handful" of moments in the game combined with the music and gameplay and even, surprisingly, how the story progresses is just monumentally entertaining and rewarding.

I've been taking my time doing a level or two a day and loving the ride. Anyone that passes on this due to some dipstick reviewer is truly missing out on a gem.

Neiteio

Thanks for answering my questions, JC. :)

On a side note, I'd like to compliment the game's presentation. I love how thorough it is. The way the narrator explains the technology; the title cards for each and every character; the way each hero seems to have a QTE in each boss battle; the way each boss seems to make multiple appearances and keep coming back for more; and of course, the way that when you finally -do- finish off the boss, it's the most insane and over-the-top coup de grâce ever... only for the game to outdo itself at the climax of the NEXT boss encounter.

I mean, the death of Laambo and Ohrowchee was just...

Ol1rKTL.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Seriously, this is my GOTY and all I've heard is 'GOTY' from everyone who has played and completed a large part of it. The only negatives seem to come from people who play for 10 minutes and give up.

It's not an industry darling, unfortunately, and will be lost amidst other games when GOTY awards roll around. You can hear it in the voices of people who aren't really interested in the game but have been following the reviews. They just don't "get" why this would score well (where it has, usually dismissing high reviews because they're not from IGN or Gamespot), or why this could possibly be as good as Grand Theft Auto V, The Last of Us, Battlefield 4, and so on.

But this isn't unusual. Happens with a good few super original and brilliantly envisioned games every generation. It would be nice if the market wasn't like this but it has been for decades. Sometimes original, amazing games explode, other times they're lost on the masses. Happened last generation. Happened the generation before that. And so on.

At the moment the only thing that's important is that individuals buying the game are enjoying it for what it is, and feel like they've gotten their money's worth. The immediate future might not prop The Wonderful 101 up on the pedestal it deserves, but time will decide its cult status, and I'm confident like so many games before it The Wonderful 101 will deservingly create its own legacy.

Bullza2o

Holy crap this game is hard and each level is extremely long and exhausting! It's very frustrating to die 4 times fighting a boss, only to find out there's more missions to do after it :(

Thing is, the game sucks out your energy --and sucks you into it, making you yearn to play it more. I've never experienced such a game. After playing 1.5 hours my eyes are hurting...

It's unique, epic, and I've only beaten around 4 levels!

Scum

If only the Plaza supported dynamic themes. A Wonderful 101 theme will be soooo goood!

It's not an industry darling, unfortunately, and will be lost amidst other games when GOTY awards roll around. You can hear it in the voices of people who aren't really interested in the game but have been following the reviews. They just don't "get" why this would score well (where it has, usually dismissing high reviews because they're not from IGN or Gamespot), or why this could possibly be as good as Grand Theft Auto V, The Last of Us, Battlefield 4, and so on.

But this isn't unusual. Happens with a good few super original and brilliantly envisioned games every generation. It would be nice if the market wasn't like this but it has been for decades. Sometimes original, amazing games explode, other times they're lost on the masses. Happened last generation. Happened the generation before that. And so on.

At the moment the only thing that's important is that individuals buying the game are enjoying it for what it is, and feel like they've gotten their money's worth. The immediate future might not prop The Wonderful 101 up on the pedestal it deserves, but time will decide its cult status, and I'm confident like so many games before it The Wonderful 101 will deservingly create its own legacy.

EWmof.gif

Roto13

006-B is a bad level.

The first part, is fun, but
the shmup part is annoying and way too slow, plus it has that awful see saw battle (the second one in the game, when one would have been too many), and that terrible wind section that needs to stop showing up in games.

I just really fucking hate this level.

Just beat 3-C, that was so incredibly hard and satisfying. If what people say about having barely experienced what the game has in store this might end up being one of my all time favorite games.

Totally unrelated question about the Wii U because I didn't see a thread just for it. Whenever I click home I get "data has finished installing" from updates for netflix and Rayman that are weeks old. How do I get it to stop and clear from the downloads? It's really annoying.

Squishy3

Just beat 3-C, that was so incredibly hard and satisfying. If what people say about having barely experienced what the game has in store this might end up being one of my all time favorite games.

Totally unrelated question about the Wii U because I didn't see a thread just for it. Whenever I click home I get "data has finished installing" from updates for netflix and Rayman that are weeks old. How do I get it to stop and clear from the downloads? It's really annoying.
Start the software.

moolamb

I've been taking my time doing a level or two a day and loving the ride.

I feel like this is a really good way to play the game and I thought it was elegant structuring on Platinum's part. Coming from a storytelling/filmmaking background, I think each operation, A, B, C fits a three-act structure really well. So basically each operation is an hour-or-two episode of a comic/anime series. That's why there's repeated sequences - landing at a new location, "Team Unite Up!"; meet a new character; engaging super-mode for the boss.

There's a natural end point to the night of gaming (which is useful for us oldies), and so I don't binge and get exhausted, while at the same time giving plenty to look forward to the next night.

That's so true to the core. I've been thinking about how we generally look so closely at sales for our favourite games and engage in so many number-battles, but at the end of the day what's more important is how good the game actually is for yourself. I feel sorry that a lot of my friends will never get the chance to experience this. If I bring it up in conversation, it'll be a "Oh, what's that? Cool story."

But I'm glad you guys understand, haha!

Top Bottom