• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

D-e-f-

Banned
Ok, some here might remember me having quite substantial problems with getting to grips with this game. I simply couldn't understand what the game wanted from me. Then today, being fed up by Splinter Cell freezing my WiiU 3 times in a row while trying to play SvM, I put W101 back in, fired up mission 3 on easy and it suddenly just clicked.
I don't know how to describe it, but I just was in tune with the games logic. Suddenly that wall that made it impossible for me to enjoy the game was gone...
Now the only thing holding me back is my own reaction time/skill. The game did a complete Xbone 180 on me.

TL.DR: I've finally seen the light and embraced the brilliance of W101.
I'm so happy right now.

+1 for sometimes just needing to be in the right mood/mindset for a certain game :D

JoeFenix

Ok, some here might remember me having quite substantial problems with getting to grips with this game. I simply couldn't understand what the game wanted from me. Then today, being fed up by Splinter Cell freezing my WiiU 3 times in a row while trying to play SvM, I put W101 back in, fired up mission 3 on easy and it suddenly just clicked.
I don't know how to describe it, but I just was in tune with the games logic. Suddenly that wall that made it impossible for me to enjoy the game was gone...
Now the only thing holding me back is my own reaction time/skill. The game did a complete Xbone 180 on me.

TL.DR: I've finally seen the light and embraced the brilliance of W101.
I'm so happy right now.

Glad to hear it!

I guess that's why those of us who clicked with the game are trying to help others get to that point, it really does feel pretty amazing!

Sorry if this was already mentioned - I was trying to avoid too much spoiler information. A question about Prince Vorken fight:
well, fights. It took me forever to realize that I could Unite Guts against hammer and fist. However, does the sword work against Vorken's Unite Guts the same way I can't defend against slice attacks with it? I could swear my sword bounced off his guts. In my head, being able to cut through his guts would be seriously amazing design even, and you only have a moment to pull out a sword and slice at it.

Also, I can't believe I didn't realize that fist was resistant to fire before! That makes so much sense now!

JoeFenix

Sorry if this was already mentioned - I was trying to avoid too much spoiler information. A question about Prince Vorken fight:
well, fights. It took me forever to realize that I could Unite Guts against hammer and fist. However, does the sword work against Vorken's Unite Guts the same way I can't defend against slice attacks with it? I could swear my sword bounced off his guts. In my head, being able to cut through his guts would be seriously amazing design even, and you only have a moment to pull out a sword and slice at it.

Also, I can't believe I didn't realize that fist was resistant to fire before! That makes so much sense now!

You are correct, it does bounce off. It must be the tangerine on top of his pudding making it stronger than yours.

Neiteio

Gotta dig how the Unlimited masks are the exact same masks they used in Metal Gear Rising. Must be a new Platinum motif, right up there with rocket hammers.

Zero148

The game is awesome, but Operaration 007-A kicked my ass with these flying drill things. Is there any other way to get save through them except hero time?

Okay, is the Wii U gamepad supposed to vibrate every time you press "A" and hit something? Because this seems weird and I'm really hoping nothing is wrong...

Raysoul

But is it working correctly in the context of the game? I just want to make sure I don't have some spazzy Wii U pad or something...

Yes. It is working as designed. It vibrates on hit, block, damage, combo, etc...

So in a nutshell, expect it to be vibrating all the time on most fights.

Kazerei

Banned
This is a silly question, but I'm trying to remember in which operation
someone says the word "revengeance". There's a few scenarios where someone might have mentioned revenge, so I'm having a hard time remembering.
I just wanted to show a friend, 'cause it's a cute little reference.

This is a silly question, but I'm trying to remember in which operation
someone says the word "revengeance". There's a few scenarios where someone might have mentioned revenge, so I'm having a hard time remembering.
I just wanted to show a friend, 'cause it's a cute little reference.

5-C.

Any way to kill thorn enemies faster? The whip seems to take quite a long time to tear off armor.

Bigger whips take off more parts. Get some distance and they should try to roll into a ball. Whip'em to cause a stagger and then make a giant whip to rip off more than half their armor.

So my impressions through 004-A but first a little background.

I'm in my 30's now and don't find myself having a lot of time to play games these days. To that end, I don't even really consider myself a "hardcore" gamer anymore; I play a lot of games but don't finish a good portion, pay attention to GAF and gaming news, but I don't max out my play experience by doing the hardest settings, or go for super hard achievements or anything anymore.

Having said that, W101 frustrated me at the beginning. I really enjoyed the concept initially. I thought having a game reminiscent of Japanese Kamen Rider-esque shows and serials, in addition to a good mix up of Western super hero tropes was a great idea, and I loved how vivid and bright the game was. Unfortunately, playing through 001 and 002 was not a great experience. Despite the spectacle and larger than life set pieces, I thought that the environments started to drag on. I also didn't have a clear idea of how to do certain things and pull off moves. The game was extremely demanding... not that it was hard per se. There was enough health support and you could use items or continue pretty regularly to stumble your way to the end, but a lot of times that's exactly what I was doing. Rather, the demanding portion was that the game just dumped you in without really any idea of what you're doing or how to proceed to do it with any sort of fluidity.

But things changed. Somewhere between 002-003 something just clicked and I started to figure out things. I stumbled accidentally on how to do the Stinger and Rising (which the tutorials in the menu really don't give you any idea how to do; I was pushing B and A at the same time, not sequentially) and then was able string things together... and then my mind opened to the possibilities. The first time I did a Hand Stinger to sword rising to gun stinger with a Unite Tombstone and destroyed a Die Dough-Goo in one sequence was an amazing and fulfilling experience, and I knew I wanted more. It also helped that I thought that 003, especially with the boss battle was more diverse and I saw the game starting to open up at that point.

The game is not perfect and I understand the mixed reviews. They don't explain things well at all. Sometimes it gets too zoomed out and makes things really difficult to coordinate and attack. But all in all, it's a game that you grow into as much as it grows on you.

Excited to keep on playing.

Okay, first level, after the helmet thing, I go down and to the left, create a bridge across to this building thats on fire. How do i get up that building to get the people?

Raysoul

Okay, first level, after the helmet thing, I go down and to the left, create a bridge across to this building thats on fire. How do i get up that building to get the people?

Unite hand absorbs fire. If you haven't got Wonderful Rising, the last part of the hand's combo has a small dash. So basically jump then attack to the building.

PKrockin

Bigger whips take off more parts. Get some distance and they should try to roll into a ball. Whip'em to cause a stagger and then make a giant whip to rip off more than half their armor.

Ah, I didn't think of that rolling attack.

Unite hand absorbs fire. If you haven't got Wonderful Rising, the last part of the hand's combo has a small dash. So basically jump then attack to the building.

With a couple tries you can just double jump up there with a Unite Hand active.

So I was under the impression in this game that you can sort of "manage" your team? Is there any of that, because I can't seem to find it. I keep getting these different heroes but after the first real mission, I can't find a menu or screen where I can check them out. Like I got an old drunken guy and a judo guy. They seem to have stats but what do these do?

OryoN

Okay, is the Wii U gamepad supposed to vibrate every time you press "A" and hit something? Because this seems weird and I'm really hoping nothing is wrong...

Turn it off. It doesn't make sense for me.

Probably the only thing about this game that I couldn't stand. It's so annoying! Who ever though it a good idea to implement it in that way was tripping. Although, turning it off solves the problem, it kind of makes me wonder how useful it could have been if done right.

Neiteio

So I was under the impression in this game that you can sort of "manage" your team? Is there any of that, because I can't seem to find it. I keep getting these different heroes but after the first real mission, I can't find a menu or screen where I can check them out. Like I got an old drunken guy and a judo guy. They seem to have stats but what do these do?
Look at the GamePad. See the down arrow? Tap it. You'll get a screen with all of your heroes. Tap the ones you want to assign to lead roles. They're all variants of the main hero, I.E. punch guy, sword guy, etc, but they have slightly different properties, apparently, and grow stronger with use. I'm sure someone else here understands this stuff better.

Fandangox

In the gamepad screen (You have to press - if you are playing off tv) there's a little arrow at the bottom. If you touch it a screen with all your heroes (Permanent and temporary) will appear. There you can set who do you want as the leader of each specific morph.

The leaders will gain experience faster than the rest. If you level up memers of a specific morph enough you will gain abilities.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Press the bottom arrow on the gamepad to manage your team.

All you do is set leaders but this doesn't really matter until you get secret characters.

Heroes gain ranks the more you use the morph they're associated with. They gain ranks faster if they're leader but you don't really ever have to change leader to max people. Just be sure to do alot of damage with that particular morph when you're trying to level up people who use it.

The system is pretty low maintenance and unintrusive. I wouldn't even worry about it starting out.

popyea

While you're playing, check the gamepad screen and press the little arrow at the bottom. It lets you see who is in your team and choose different members to be leaders. There's not a whole lot of management. All your members level up slowly when they get used in morphs, but you can level up specific guys more quickly by making them leaders. Leveling them up makes the unite weapons stronger (I think) and will unlock skills.

Cool, thanks for the explanations guys. I'm a little bummed out because I thought there would be more to the character collection and customization aspect, but I guess I was wrong. Either way the game is incredible and I'm so happy I got a Wii U. I'm honestly surprised this game is as much of a DMC/Bayonetta style action game as it is.

Frodo

All you do is set leaders but this doesn't really matter until you get secret characters.

Heroes gain ranks the more you use the morph they're associated with. They gain ranks faster if they're leader but you don't really ever have to change leader to max people. Just be sure to do alot of damage with that particular morph when you're trying to level up people who use it.

The system is pretty low maintenance and unintrusive. I wouldn't even worry about it starting out.

Yeah, If you are going to replay any of the missions for better ranks it is not really a necessity to change your leaders, except maybe in the last levels to make sure everyone will max out. But if you don't intend to come back to any level and just want to play through the game once, it might be a good idea to change the characters once in a while, since you can get more vitality and new skills when your members reach a certain level.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, If you are going to replay any of the missions for better ranks it is not really a necessity to change your leaders, except maybe in the last levels to make sure everyone will max out. But if you don't intend to come back to any level and just want to play through the game once, it might be a good idea to change the characters once in a while, since you can get more vitality and new skills when your members reach a certain level.

Good point and good advice

Fandangox

I wouldn't say that. The faster you level up members in a morph the faster you will acquire a skill for it. I don't see how that wouldn't be important.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't say that. The faster you level up members in a morph the faster you will acquire a skill for it. I don't see how that wouldn't be important.

Depends on if you have enough members for it.

and it's not important to farm I mean. I've been unlocking skills just playing naturally with the main heroes as leaders while doing my collectable run.(meaning finding all the regular 101)

Raysoul

I remember trying this and ends up failing, maybe just the wrong jump timing.

Probably the only thing about this game that I couldn't stand. It's so annoying! Who ever though it a good idea to implement it in that way was tripping. Although, turning it off solves the problem, it kind of makes me wonder how useful it could have been if done right.

I personally doesn't mind the rumble, but I'm conscious that it would drain the hell out of the battery so I turned it off.

Fandangox

Depends on if you have enough members for it.

and it's not important to farm I mean. I've been unlocking skills just playing naturally with the main heroes as leaders while doing my collectable run.(meaning finding all the regular 101)

That makes sense.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it that I keep missing I believe mission 7 in 001-B?

Dunno. Mission 7 in that stage is the double Diegoowhatever fight(the giant humanoid robot regular enemies) after fighting where the giant cannon was.

The only hidden stage on that level is the Kahgoo-Regah, which is found by backtracking after the encounter with the UFO's where you get green.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Dunno. Mission 7 in that stage is the double Diegoowhatever fight(the giant humanoid robot regular enemies) after fighting where the giant cannon was.

The only hidden stage on that level is the Kahgoo-Regah, which is found by backtracking after the encounter with the UFO's where you get green.
Whoa, after watching a video on the mission, I totally didn't see those 2 robot dudes...

Proven

Ah, I didn't think of that rolling attack.

Uh, guys. There's a car near the burning building (I even believe it's red). Just jump on the car, then jump and double jump from the car to the building. Use Unite Hand or Spring for insurance.

Look at the GamePad. See the down arrow? Tap it. You'll get a screen with all of your heroes. Tap the ones you want to assign to lead roles. They're all variants of the main hero, I.E. punch guy, sword guy, etc, but they have slightly different properties, apparently, and grow stronger with use. I'm sure someone else here understands this stuff better.
You can also hit Up on the Dpad to bring the menu up.

I haven't even really noticed the nonstop rumble, honestly.

Same here.

leroidys

RE: rumble

First thing I did was disable rumble. It is constant and doesn't really make any sense. The upad has some weak-ass rumble too, so it doesn't really feel like anything.

The rumble in the Gamepad feels like a late-90s cellphone or some shit, this bulky cheap plastic vibration. That was the first thing that went off.

Man, normally sales don't matter to me, but I'm so down about this game bombing. Such a unique experience that will be overlooked and forgotten about.

Here's hoping it at least achieves cult status.

Top Bottom