• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Dem legs on this game! 50 hours + on my save and I don't feel close to being done with it. Currently aiming for silver/plat run caps, some clean-up left after that before going for the 101% Hard run.

Fandangox

Has anyone gotten the Master Stomper bottlecap yet? Its the last thing I need to unlock
Rodin

But I can't figure out for the life of me where the missing underground treasures could be.

I already got the ones in
003B where the enemy platform was, and the two that were in the wreckage of the slow mo jumping section. Also got the 2 from the boss battle in 003C and the ones from the 2 Kahkooh-Regah. No idea where else to look.

TnK

How am I supposed to play the
virgin victory plus vorkken's ship
without taking damage. Controlling that is confusing. Plus, the enemy that tags you, how to dodge properly?

This is the only minigame part in the game that I don't like.

Also, do all the characters have a
giant transforming morph like wonder goggles
or not?

Shaanyboi

Banned
You guys are making this game sound so good. I think I will bite the bullet and buy it.

Ay29K.jpg

Mistouze

You guys are making this game sound so good. I think I will bite the bullet and buy it.
It's really a special game, there might be some effort to make in order to enjoy it but if you're into character action games (DMC/Bayo/NG/MGR) you certainly can't go wrong with it.

How am I supposed to play the
virgin victory plus vorkken's ship
without taking damage.

Gamefaqs Message board disclaimer, but one person there says that the damage you take during that section does not count toward the final rank, provided you don't die. I haven't gotten there yet on my Platinum rank run yet but I think it's worth a shot.

Also, failed QTE vids are starting to pop up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1n0DhjfbYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnDIdeYwjSE

The fabled 10 fail vid is included. Kinda underwhelming.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I am glad there's no Pure Platinum bottle cap; just finished Operation 004 and yup, I still suck at vehicles.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Gamefaqs Message board disclaimer, but one person there says that the damage you take during that section does not count toward the final rank, provided you don't die. I haven't gotten there yet on my Platinum rank run yet but I think it's worth a shot.

I got a funny one in a boss fight!

Commander Nelson spat out his coffe while watching from the ship

Madouu

Finished the game. Amazing experience from start to finish... Even the ending credits were fun. And I'm spending waaay too much time on the gallery now.

mstevens

I just want to say that lurking in this thread for weeks is to blame (credit? haha) for me finally picking this game up yesterday. :)

I was hesitant after playing the demo because fighting games are my least favorite genre due to the insane learning curves. I knew this game wasn't a traditional fighting game, but I also knew the learning curve would be similar.... The hype was just too much.

I think I'll play through on very easy to enjoy the game till the end and not worry too much on pure platinum rankings...

Sakura

It's really a special game, there might be some effort to make in order to enjoy it but if you're into character action games (DMC/Bayo/NG/MGR) you certainly can't go wrong with it.

I haven't played any of those games, hopefully W101 isn't too hard for me. Just waiting for it to finish downloading now. I like how the download speed seems to get slower as it downloads...

Raysoul

So after a Platinum run I got hungry and leaved the game on the title screen to grab a snack.

When I came back after a minute, it's now playing a montage of combos. :eek:

Mistouze

I haven't played any of those games, hopefully W101 isn't too hard for me. Just waiting for it to finish downloading now. I like how the download speed seems to get slower as it downloads...
Start on Easy then! And try the demo to get the hang of the gameplay before having the game. You can also watch Saur's vids on youtube, if you have any questions there's a decent supply of helpful people in this thread.

Mistouze

And we only discover that... now? 0_o
I feel like there's still a few stuff to discover in the game. Wouldn't be surprised if there's an alternate way to get the unlocks for example.

Anyway I'm unlocking all the characters ON MY OWN, BELIEVE!

Salih

I feel like there's still a few stuff to discover in the game. Wouldn't be surprised if there's an alternate way to get the unlocks for example.

There were actual cheats for Bayonetta to unlock stuff. I wouldn't be suprised if there are ones in TW101. Hopefully, since i can't unlock the last two secret characters because of that stupid trophy #24 - bug :(

meppi

It's just a bit confusing at first since it expects you to do many things at once.
But once you get past the first hurdle, it quickly becomes a joy to play. :)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I had seen that already. I thought it was already known :p

Yeah all of Kamiya's games have Attract Mode

There were actual cheats for Bayonetta to unlock stuff. I wouldn't be suprised if there are ones in TW101. Hopefully, since i can't unlock the last two secret characters because of that stupid trophy #24 - bug :(

I don't think there's any telephone booth equivalents in this game I'm afraid.

Sucks about the bug. I'm about to see if I've fallen victim to it myself later today

Randomizer

Anyone know if the problem with wonder figure 24 has been fixed? It's the last thing I need to unlock the final two characters.

Mr-Joker

Banned
yup, I still suck at vehicles.

Same here, no matter what I do in the control option I still can't get to gripped with the control.

Screwed me over the final Prince Volkon fight as I was doing so well in that.

Anyone know if the problem with wonder figure 24 has been fixed? It's the last thing I need to unlock the final two characters.

Kamiya said that he wants to patch it but I thinks he needs Nintendo to green light it.

Timeaisis

Beat this game yesterday. Great experience overall, definitely on the top for this year.

The only criticism I have is are the "mini-game" sections. Some of them are great, but some I absolutely suck at. Notably,
anytime you have to escape in a vehicle.
I constantly take lots of damage and/or die and my rank is permanently damaged. On 008, during the
Vorkken battle
, I got a gold on the battle itself, but immediately died afterwards during the
escape.
Didn't want to continue, so I restarted and had to do the boss battle again. ;_; Needless to say, same thing happened. Got a bronze. :(

Other than some weirdly frustrating bits, this game is really, really great.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Whew. Was able to get figure #24

I wonder what's causing this bug? What exactly is it not letting people do in regards to getting it?

Regiruler

I got a funny one in a boss fight!

Commander Nelson spat out his coffe while watching from the ship
It's
tea, not coffee
, haven't you been paying attention?

He also does it in multiple QTEs.
Beat this game yesterday. Great experience overall, definitely on the top for this year.

The only criticism I have is are the "mini-game" sections. Some of them are great, but some I absolutely suck at. Notably,
anytime you have to escape in a vehicle.
I constantly take lots of damage and/or die and my rank is permanently damaged. On 008, during the
Vorkken battle
, I got a gold on the battle itself, but immediately died afterwards during the
escape.
Didn't want to continue, so I restarted and had to do the boss battle again. ;_; Needless to say, same thing happened. Got a bronze. :(

Other than some weirdly frustrating bits, this game is really, really great.
The
Vorkken
fight is 006, not 008.

Timeaisis

It's
tea, not coffee
, haven't you been paying attention?

He also does it in multiple QTEs.

The
Vorkken
fight is 006, not 008.

I think I was getting it confused because at the end of 008
you have to escape controlling two ships (Virgin Victory and Vorrken's).
. That was...hard.

HawthorneKitty

I think I was getting it confused because at the end of 008
you have to escape controlling two ships (Virgin Victory and Vorrken's).
. That was...hard.
No matter what I do, I always die on the last possible chance in that segment.

Roto13

I got the individual bottle caps for finding all the kakhoo regah in each operation, but I don't have the one for finding them all overall.

Ruh roh?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Different difficulties have different Regahs; gotta beat them all.

You might just have to beat them on normal and hard since they're the same in 101% and regular hard.

But don't quote me on that. In bayo you just had to do them on one difficulty for the hearts and trophies

HawthorneKitty

This is the one for finding them, not beating them. Do you also have to find them on all difficulties?
Yes, you still need to find them in the different difficulties of Normal, Hard and 101% Hard.

You Can Hole Up, But You Can't Hide, right?

Llyranor

Man oh man, Secret Mission 6 in 003-B on hard (throught a Kahkoo-Regah) was such an exhilarating fight.

Basically just fighting
3 of those armor dragons
, but it was an awesome challenge.
Between dodging rockets, sonic booms, general attacks, taking advantage of invincibility frames when opening the armor with claws to avoid damage or give time for energy to recharge or teammates to revive, I had to constantly be on the lookout for incoming attacks from 3 different directions. Hero Time and Unite Bomb helped me out a lot here.
It took me waaaaay too many retries, but it was lots of fun, and never felt unfair - it was just a matter of me getting and better.

Yeah, yeah. GOTY.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm a fan of Kamiya, and for some reason had trouble getting into the demo. I tried it a few times, I just couldn't really figure out what the game wanted from me or what the crux of the gameplay was. It never clicked at least as far as the demo is concerned.

Should I buy this anyway? I'm tempted to, in part because of all the glowing praise it's receiving. I *want* to get it, I just don't get it yet.

HawthorneKitty

I'm a fan of Kamiya, and for some reason had trouble getting into the demo. I tried it a few times, I just couldn't really figure out what the game wanted from me or what the crux of the gameplay was. It never clicked at least as far as the demo is concerned.

Should I buy this anyway? I'm tempted to, in part because of all the glowing praise it's receiving. I *want* to get it, I just don't get it yet.
Heck yes you should buy it! Everyone is going to recommend watching the Saur videos, but nothing really totally clicks until you play until maybe around halfway through the game [when you get the last of the main abilities]. You'll still enjoy yourself through the learning process, but once you start to understand how your different options of attack affect the battle, you'll start to have an immense amount of fun. I'm not a great action gaming person, but the simplicity of its complexity really rubs me in the most perfect way.

all imo of course.

Roto13

Yes, you still need to find them in the different difficulties of Normal, Hard and 101% Hard.

You Can Hole Up, But You Can't Hide, right?

That's pretty dumb. It's not like they move around between difficulties.

If you could learn to play Viewtiful Joe, you can probably learn to play this.

Neiteio

What's not to get? You run around and you defeat enemies. :)

If you're having a hard time getting a feel for the game's rhythm, I recommend using the second stick to draw shapes instead of the touchpad. That way, you can treat it more like a fighting game, I.E., rotate real quick for the fist, tap up for a moment for the sword, tap up then right for the gun, etc. It becomes muscle memory in short order. Then the trick is learning how to use the attacks in combat. Mob the enemies with your men using X, until they're stunned and then staggered. When pummeling an enemy, draw other shapes and tap X to have your teammates perform them, meaning even more attacks are on the field at once. Juggle them in the air with B and then A and continue to hammer away and unleash teammate attacks mid-air. All of this will whittle down enemies faster.

Destroy everything you see -- every tree, light post, mailbox, tire stack, crate, etc. Gather all of the cogs and vegetables. Run with Y to keep your group nice and tight. Adjust the zoom with the L and R buttons. Use the L button inside buildings to keep the camera centered behind you on the GamePad.

Use the sword to deflect lightning attacks. The hand to collect fire and throw it back as fireballs. Bounce back attacks and enemy charges with Unite Guts. Dodge with Unite Spring. Dodge offset is in and allows you to maintain where you were in a combo before dodging.

All of the above can be practiced in the demo. Keep at it and it will click. :)

Roto13

I hope someone eventually uploads a 100% completed save file somewhere. There are some things I'm just not willing to do to unlock things.

Proven

The 10 fail vid is a huge nod to Viewtiful Joe so I'm fine with it.

Wasn't there a rumor that it just randomly bugs out and if you keep hitting retry at the spot to try again it'll eventually pop up?

Roto13

I beat the Kakhoo Regah in the Epilogue and didn't get the bottle cap for beating that boss without getting hit.

What the fuck is this shit?

EDIT: No, seriously, what the fuck is this shit? I fucking suffered through that fucking fight and its pointless loading screen like three dozen times and didn't unlock fucking
Wonder Goggles
. If I seriously have to do it again outside of the Kakhoo Regah, redoing the first five or ten minutes of that stage every time I fail, I'm going to have a fucking stroke.

Top Bottom